Martha Reeves

Mak

• Replies 58
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The backing was absolutely awsome as you would expect, Martha Reeves was........em....... yes the backing band and Jools Holland R & B orchestra was the dogs bollocks

:g: ...My Son asked me if that was the same Martha Reeves who sang Forget Me Not..cos this lady sounds weird :thumbsup: ....Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest highlander

Ok did anyone see Martha last night :thumbsup:

Yes MAK i saw martha , but i kind of wish i hadn't. I prefer to remember these legends of our music in there prime.What we got last night was a lady who has clearly lost her singing voice, and sorry to say it she sounded truely awful. there is a time when its right to pack it in ,that time is now martha .[ yes i was sober, unfortunately]

Social source share

Yes MAK i saw martha , but i kind of wish i hadn't. I prefer to remember these legends of our music in there prime.What we got last night was a lady who has clearly lost her singing voice, and sorry to say it she sounded truely awful. there is a time when its right to pack it in ,that time is now martha .[ yes i was sober, unfortunately]

her voice was on its way some years ago, she was terrible the last time I saw her and thought then she should give up singing.

Social source share

Got to agree with you there highlander, she was awful, not the way I want to remember her

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Oh well . . . . at least we've still got these "Memories".

That little shimmy and cheeky smile at 1.36 - priceless!!

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Watched the whole show. It was desperately sad to watch her struggle like that -the band were excellent though and Martha seemed to love having them back her.

Ruby Turner was excellent as was Adele (surprisingly) , the real surprise was the way Kelly Jones (Stereophonics) pretty much nailed the Temps "My girl".

Derek

Social source share

Watched the whole show. It was desperately sad to watch her struggle like that -the band were excellent though and Martha seemed to love having them back her.

Ruby Turner was excellent as was Adele (surprisingly) , the real surprise was the way Kelly Jones (Stereophonics) pretty much nailed the Temps "My girl".

Derek

agreed.

My wife thought Martha and the Vandellas were a tribute band, me I thought the lass had a cold.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

I have to agree here unfortunately

I am sorry to say I thought she was appalling and much prefer to remember her the way she used to be , time to give it up when its that bad , and I really love here songs but better to remember them the way they were , and her too

the backing band was really great though

I have a dvd somewhere of her singing in the usa a few years ago and its not very good either

ruby turner was excellent as was said earlier , as was duffy and a few others

Social source share

She was OK,

Everybodys voice goes a little along with the waistline as you get older.

She was trying to compensate by raising her Vocal a little higher,and it very nearly paid off.

The James Brown style lyrics she added we're fantastic and really beefed up the performance - "Good God"

Top marks to her and the Vandellas for coming out and giving us all an entertaining evening with style & grace,Superb band as well.

Peace and love.

Social source share

We watched last night, and has been said it was a shame to see it, martha reeves has allways been one of my all time favourite female vocalists, di said to me why don`t they just pack in? do they do it for the money? i said well i don`t know maybe its because they love doing it, i really hope that is the case, TRUE LEGEND :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Agree with what has already been said - I have no desire to see our ageing "heroes" anymore - I prefer to remember them when they were "at the top of the tree".

Like this..... :g: At her best, Martha was 'in charge' and few of the female acts 'worked' the crowd like she did. When I met her at the beginning of the 8Ts, I spent over an hour with her and she asked if I'd enjoyed the show. I said it had been brilliant but no 'Wild One'. 'OK we'll fix that'....and she sang it accapella just for me........what a wonderful woman. I hope she can retire gracefully and be remembered at her fabulous best which for me is 'My Baby Loves Me'.

Thought Kelly was excellent....didn't know who he was tho' :thumbsup:

"> Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Like this..... :D At her best, Martha was 'in charge' and few of the female acts 'worked' the crowd like she did. Thought Kelly was excellent....didn't know who he was tho' :thumbsup:

Me too Jo.. :g: ..strange thing is tho my 70 year old Mum did...and she thought his version of My Girl was brill... :) ...Delxxx

Social source share

we watched it this morning , copied it last night....it was a real shame , i felt for her and wish she could have done better, she has lost it or was suffering from a throat or cold problem, i feel she has just lost her voice with age...you could see most of the audience were cringing too...

i saw her some years ago with Edwin Starr and she was fine, but it is time to let memories be memories...

bless her she will always be the best for me, such effortless talent in her day..... we wish her well...

pete n' susan xx

Social source share

It was pretty painful to say the least just thank the Lord for those memories and many great records recorded over 45 years ago which kind of gets the performance last night into some perspective, one thing confirmed to me last night is that Duffy is a one trick pony piss poor and Ruby Turner what a pair of pipes saved the show IMO

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

we watched it this morning , copied it last night....it was a real shame , i felt for her and wish she could have done better, she has lost it or was suffering from a throat or cold problem, i feel she has just lost her voice with age...you could see most of the audience were cringing too...

i saw her some years ago with Edwin Starr and she was fine, but it is time to let memories be memories...

bless her she will always be the best for me, such effortless talent in her day..... we wish her well...

pete n' susan xx

I think it was a combination of the two , but all credit to her for still performing at the age of 68 ........

The ladies accompanying her as " The Vandellas " , were her sisters Lois and Delphine Reeves .

Malc Burton

Social source share

In the late 90's whilst working in London I found out she was part of the " usual " Motown Tour going on at one of the theatres in the west end , I could'nt get tickets as it was a sell out , but took the " Watchout " album down to the foyer a day before on the off chance that she might be able to autograph it for me . On the day of the concert I turned up at the theatre to collect my album where I was then summoned to a room !!

In the room was Martha , Edwin Starr and Mary Wilson talking and drinking , they invited me in, and for the next hour talked about their lives at motown , friends , families , etc .... it was an amazing experience and I duly left with two front row tickets and a host of autographs ,

Yes , these days her voice has seen better days but she will always be a true star in my eyes ,

Happy New Year to you all

Social source share

It was pretty painful to say the least just thank the Lord for those memories and many great records recorded over 45 years ago which kind of gets the performance last night into some perspective, one thing confirmed to me last night is that Duffy is a one trick pony piss poor and Ruby Turner what a pair of pipes saved the show IMO

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

:thumbsup:

Excellent, loved the track she sung, the show was a turkey except for her.

I thought perhaps the BBC would have done their research more re Martha as I think it's fair to say her voice has been on its way out for a while. It's a shame as Martha seems like a lovely lady, maybe it is time to pack it in though :g:

Social source share

I thought she was brilliant, hope I am in such fine form when I get to that age. She must be 70 or so?

Better than Duffy anyway :thumbsup:

Seriously you thought Martha was brilliant?

Derek

Social source share

I saw her in the States a couple of years ago & like last night her voice had gone, she gave a great performance, but the vocals were cringe worthy..............towards the end of the show, she was that unsteady on her feet she slipped, fell & really banged her head a good un on an amp, I thought it would be an A&E job, but like the true professional she is, she finished the show, Jenny & I said at the time, she should retire with some dignity, she has nothing to prove...............she nailed it all years ago. Thought Ruby Turner was the bomb last night............brilliant !!!.

Happy New Year

Russ

Social source share

her voice was on its way some years ago, she was terrible the last time I saw her and thought then she should give up singing.

Correct me if I'm wrong , but did she had throat cancer some years ago or some other serious throat problem ?

Tony

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Duffy is a one trick pony piss poor and Ruby Turner what a pair of pipes saved the show IMO

If Duffy does that bloody 'hiccuping' with her vocals again I'll scream. She sounded like the blonde with the helium voice that was American and married to the vet - Peter thingy - who became Doctor Who :thumbsup: And as for Ruby....Mark, you recognise a good set of lungs when you see them :g: xx

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Thought Kelly was excellent....didn't know who he was tho' :g:

Me too Jo.. :) ..strange thing is tho my 70 year old Mum did...and she thought his version of My Girl was brill... :D ...Delxxx

Hello darlin' - you've got a groovy mum and we're getting old - these young pop stars, eh....but I'd give him an after hours audition - just to see if his pipes were up to it, you understand :thumbsup: Start 2009 as I mean to go on :D

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Ok did anyone see Martha last night :g:

Nah......but danced to, in my lonely room, down in london it sounded fooking ace..not heard it for yonks :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hello darlin' - you've got a groovy mum and we're getting old - these young pop stars, eh....but I'd give him an after hours audition - just to see if his pipes were up to it, you understand :thumbsup: Start 2009 as I mean to go on :D

Know wot you mean darling :g: ...my Ma was mad about Motown...and she fashioned herself on the Supremes...one thing i do remember vividly...is that she had a figure that Beyonce' would weep at now..I can still remember my sis Viki wearing a couple of her dresses at some soul dos...and having to watch meself slipping on the tongues of male soulies.drooling at my sis working it!!!!...sorry completely off thread and dont give a damn...Happy New Year All :) ...Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

Martha was clearly enjoying herself and she seemed to be very happy to be out there singing for us on the last day of 2008.

We got the chance to witness a live performance by a motown legend.

Credit due to Martha and The Vandellas.

Social source share

Hootenanny was the highlight of my night cos I had a quiet one at home before the Hilton madness this weekend. Well it beat Elton John hands down put it that way :(

I caught Martha doin her thing...not at her best I have to admit but hey given her age what can you expect...a big fat 10 for commitment though and she was brill in her day...can't argue with that eh?

Ruby Turner can belt out a tune though :(:thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup: at sheffield arena some years ago she was bad last night was sad,very sad, pity

I saw her on the early part of the show singing "Heatwave". It was awfully sad to hear. :(

I'm just grateful she didn't try to sing "No One There" I think I would have cried.

Edited by soulsider
Social source share

Guest soulboy

Ok did anyone see Martha last night :thumbsup:

GOT TO AGREE WATCHED IT ,LOVE HER TO DEATH MET HER ONE TIME LOVELY WOMAN BUT SORRY BABE TIME TO HANG UP THE MIKE,WERE THEY THE ORIGINAL VANDELERS ? SORRY DIDNT GET THE BLOKE SINGING MY GIRL TO MUCH LIKE THAT KNOB ROBBIE WILLIAMS FOR ME ,BUT THEN NOT IN TO THAT KINDA STUFF,THE BAND VERY GOOD TOP NOTCH ,ALSO MET LENNY HENDRY YEARS A GO AT THE DOWN BRIDGENORTH NORTHERN SOUL NIGHT HE WAS WELL IN TO IT BACK THEN AND HE CAN SING GIVEN THE RIGHT SONG ,

Social source share

Guest loma 1

its on again 12 jan . i last saw martha reeves at a charity do . i was shouting her name and she looked at me and seid " what sweety " that made my day i then asked her to sing one way out " the first record i bought at wigan " she didnt sing it but to be honnest i was that drunk i wouldnt have known if she did . just to see our heroes live for me was an honor . theres too many i missed seeing in there hayday so if i get the chance to see them now i can live with a bit of a dodgy voice

Social source share

Guest soulboy

its on again 12 jan . i last saw martha reeves at a charity do . i was shouting her name and she looked at me and seid " what sweety " that made my day i then asked her to sing one way out " the first record i bought at wigan " she didnt sing it but to be honnest i was that drunk i wouldnt have known if she did . just to see our heroes live for me was an honor . theres too many i missed seeing in there hayday so if i get the chance to see them now i can live with a bit of a dodgy voice

your right she is a legend i take back every thing i said, she lived it all the birth of our culture !

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

If Duffy does that bloody 'hiccuping' with her vocals again I'll scream. She sounded like the blonde with the helium voice that was American and married to the vet - Peter thingy - who became Doctor Who :thumbsup: And as for Ruby....Mark, you recognise a good set of lungs when you see them :( xx

sandra dickinson :(

Social source share

Not even a shadow of her former self.

Very sad and last nights performance was just depresing as far as I was concerned.

not as depressing as it was for her - she use to 'spend' New Years Eve with the likes of Marvin Gaye, David Ruffin , Stevie Wonder and the like - now its Duffy, Adele and Lily 'is your father in tonight' Allen :thumbsup: what a talentless bunch ...and what about the guests, Lenny Heny and Al Murray? The Ting Tings were the best thing on there!!

Social source share

Martha was about as good as you'd expect her to be: I don't know if she's ever been feted as one of the great technical vocalists and years of not singing regularly to a high standard have not been kind to her. However the point of the enterprise was to pay tribute to her and the song: an icon in its own right which will probably outlive everyone who performed it last night.

Performance of the night for me was Dizzee Rascal: he displayed a lot of energy in running through a completely compelling pop song: for me one of the year's finest.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

sandra dickinson :(

Well done that man :( The more I think about it, Duffy even looks like her.....it's not her daughter is it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Martha was about as good as you'd expect her to be: I don't know if she's ever been feted as one of the great technical vocalists and years of not singing regularly to a high standard have not been kind to her. However the point of the enterprise was to pay tribute to her and the song: an icon in its own right which will probably outlive everyone who performed it last night.

Performance of the night for me was Dizzee Rascal: he displayed a lot of energy in running through a completely compelling pop song: for me one of the year's finest.

you are so right id forgot about dizzee he was good

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert