Top Tips For 2009

Hi,

Exactly 12 months since we did the last 'Top Tips' thread... and therefore 24 months since the previous :lol: ... so, as it's now a Soul Source tradition, here we go again!

Here's your opportunity to tip the tunes in your box for future greatness during the coming year... or simply list any number that you'd like to recommend to other Soul Sourcers.

You might be a DJ with that tasty unplayed, unknown, hardly played or semi-known 45 stuck in the back of your box that you'd love to play... but haven't quite got around to it... yet!

You might be a collector, sitting on a tune that you know, if it got into the right hands, could become massive in the next 12 months.

It could be an LP track that, for whatever reason, has never been given the recognition it deserves.

It might be a tasty 'B' side that, given the right exposure, might just have what it takes to become a monster!

No need to post sound clips. Just let us know what you've got that you think deserves a plug in the coming year!

So come on. Look at your box and let's have your top tip (or tips) for 2009.

Oh... and a Happy (and Soulful) New Year to all!

:D

Sean Hampsey

For interest, the 2007 & 2008 threads can be found here:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Top-Tips-2007-t39895.html

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Top-Tip...Box-t63228.html

Social source share

• Replies 156
  • Views 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi,

Exactly 12 months since we did the last 'Top Tips' thread... and therefore 24 months since the previous :D ... so, as it's now a Soul Source tradition, here we go again!

Here's your opportunity to tip the tunes in your box for future greatness during the coming year... or simply list any number that you'd like to recommend to other Soul Sourcers.

You might be a DJ with that tasty unplayed, unknown, hardly played or semi-known 45 stuck in the back of your box that you'd love to play... but haven't quite got around to it... yet!

You might be a collector, sitting on a tune that you know, if it got into the right hands, could become massive in the next 12 months.

It could be an LP track that, for whatever reason, has never been given the recognition it deserves.

It might be a tasty 'B' side that, given the right exposure, might just have what it takes to become a monster!

No need to post sound clips. Just let us know what you've got that you think deserves a plug in the coming year!

:thumbsup:

Sean Hampsey

Atb for 2009 Sean

Tips being something you personally havent heard out and think worthy of nominating i presume??

I say that cos theres always someone who will say "been playing this for ages" :)

My tip for 2009 crossover heaven is SAGE-SONG FOR YVONNE(HEAD)

Out of interest and eerily on same topic,i found this whilst doing a back search

This is from tips for 2006 :g:

Sage "I'm alive"

I'm not proud of this but this is a big money tune with only 5 copies in existence, and normally I wouldn't have touched this with a barge pole, could have bought a hundred other great soul records for what this cost BUT.....it is the dogs bollocks of a dancer, and only the rareity will keep it from being a monster tune, I know where the other four went, and they wont surface for a long long time. 1977, what a great year it was

Edited by NORTHERN NEV
Social source share

Nev

Great tune, great shout , I have just reviewed this in latest issue for Soul Up North. I think a couple more copies are about than the article suggests. I know Bob Cosby played it on Solar Radio last month as a guest so thats at least 2 more

My shouts for 09

Tradewind -Price of love. Tradewinds.

A great northern style dancer not many copies about, but there must be others about somewhere and when you start looking who knows.

Millenium - Joy . Blue Boy.

A bouncy modern gospel dancer that gets you going with a cracking female lead.

Lyn Defino - Such a hard one to lose. Prowlin.

Now this is the dogs balls IMHO, not sure if its known as its not listed, I have spun this a couple of times last year and it just builds . If this gets picked up it will go big style. A modern dancer and very catchy.

Of the 3 this might just surprise even me if copies can be found as most of the Modern DJs will like it.

All the best for 09

Dave Halsall

Atb for 2009 Sean

Tips being something you personally havent heard out and think worthy of nominating i presume??

I say that cos theres always someone who will say "been playing this for ages" :g:

My tip for 2009 crossover heaven is SAGE-SONG FOR YVONNE(HEAD)

Out of interest and eerily on same topic,i found this whilst doing a back search

This is from tips for 2006 :thumbsup:

Sage "I'm alive"

I'm not proud of this but this is a big money tune with only 5 copies in existence, and normally I wouldn't have touched this with a barge pole, could have bought a hundred other great soul records for what this cost BUT.....it is the dogs bollocks of a dancer, and only the rareity will keep it from being a monster tune, I know where the other four went, and they wont surface for a long long time. 1977, what a great year it was

Social source share

Mmmmm so here's the first Top 10 and a pretty fine bunch too!

Sage - Song For Yvonne - Head

Tradewind - Price Of Love - Tradewinds.

Millenium - Joy - Blue Boy

Lyn Defino - Such A Hard One To Lose - Prowlin.

Willie Welshes Band (Feat Sharon Ellis) - Whats Ever Fair -Blackbyrd

De De Gatrell - Second Hand Love - Maverick

Dennis Landry - Miss Hard To Get - Soul Unlimited

Honey B's - What Love Can Do - B's Wax

Barbara Hall - Tell Me Tell Me - Tuska

Merger - You Pick Me Up - MGR

Excellent start.

Keep 'em coming chaps!

Sean

Social source share

Good call Sean, hope 2009 is good to you.

Keeping the instrumental tradition alive, last year I enjoyed playing Hank Jacobs and the TKOs - Speak to me in your soulful way (Call me). Here's a really good one if you fancy some grinding organ in the new year 2009 - overlooked and really really cheap (£25 on JM) THE TKOs featuring Hank Jacobs - THE CHARGE on Ten Star.

Happy new year. Dean

Social source share

The Passions - High jacked

Malcolm Dodds - come see the sun

Bobby Hebb - Love me

maybe doing the rounds already so forgive me if they are :)

if not, play 'em :g:

alan

I've played the Passions out the last year or so (along with the Hesitations - No Brags Just Facts), great record, and cheap :thumbsup: I did add it to refosoul some time ago.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Hi,

Exactly 12 months since we did the last 'Top Tips' thread... and therefore 24 months since the previous :g: ... so, as it's now a Soul Source tradition, here we go again!

Sean Hampsey

First of all happy New Year to everyone, the records I am going to mention as tips really echo my wishes cos I think some of the choices are known but as we all know unfortunately suffer from the rarity thing

Four Sonics-Easier said than done-Sport IMHO as good as anything out there, has been getting plays in the NE for years but demands wider acclaim

The Esquires-Listen to me-Capitol Cheap as chips x-over with a group vocal performance to rival anything

The Artistics-You left me-Brunswick Apply the above statement for this aswell, flip to the better known "Lonely old world" but this blows it away.

The Performers-Little Angel-Sir Graham A tad more expensive than the previous 3 I know but this little gem has been getting plays via Mick and Mo and seems to be catching on.

I think Sean mentioned album tracks so heres a few that keep me company at home:-

David Ruffin-Until we said goodbye-Everythings coming up love LP THE man in overdrive, not to be missed.

9th Creation-Bionic Love Affair-Prelude "Reaching for the top" LP fantastic 70,s group mover, a couple of killer ballads aswell for the music room

Bill Brandon-Baby love is a two way street-Prelude LP Great mid-tempo record also 3 incredible ballads

Willie Hutch-Can,t get ready for losing you-Motown "Fully Exposed" LP Apply the above statement to this

I apologise if any of the above LP tracks have been issued on 7 inch, then I am unaware, but they are worth getting anyway.

Good topic this, lets hope that some of the contributions bear fruit or strike a chord in the coming year.

Best Regards

Kev

Social source share

boba (nice chap that he is) gave me some info on this 45 a while back...but im damned if i can find it.. :thumbsup:

i didn't have any actual info other than my friend sourced this and had copies a long time ago, he would have more real info though, i will try to ask him.

Social source share

Guest posstot

here's my 2 pence worth.....

Eddie Floyd Make up your mind Safice.

mid tempo dancer, thats meatier than a rosted pig. has a stax feel to it...but better!!

Patti Austin You're too much a part of me Coral

this is the miss of the century...yes its known....but has never gone as big as she should

Bart Jackson Dancin' Man Decca

this is a cracker, and should be a biggie everywhere. a stax/ atlantic feel but with that all important Northern element to it!!

Ray Singer Tell me now Roulette

odd one this, looks like it was recorded in london by ember records, yet released stateside on roulette. Can any of the british collectors shed any light?

Wayne Anthony You ain't wrapped too tight Roulette

staying with roulette, and this forgotten gem is ready for bringing to the attention of everybody!!

Now for the RnB/ early soul recco's;

Carole Forrest He's awful nice to me Atco.

big city production on this upbeat mid sixties dancer. Uptown soul which is pure class.

the Utopians Ain't no such thing...... Dutch treat Imperial

2 unique uptempo dancers...doo wop meats northern...fan dabby dosey!!

Larry Williams Everyday i wonder chess(blue)

a mid tempo beauty, Soulful and Earthy mover.

E "Tiny" Watkins Love like a river Sandy

moody, moody, moody ballad with a sumptuous vocal, not exactly a tune for the dancers...but one to stand and sway to.

Willie Mabon I don't know Mad

another RnB winner, a mid-tempo mover with breaks.

Lloyd Price Don't cry Monument

Another Monument release..will this go as big as oh lady luck?

Madame Nellie Robinson Mini-your-dress is too short Gospel Corner

weird yet wonderful...watch out for this one. Gospel but a great mid tempo mover, moody too.

the Johnny Otis show Good Golly Capitol(purple)

can't leave this out...110mph doo wop/rock and soul mover....played at the soulful shack to about 8 people...this will create interest. if you like the Butanes you'll love this.

And some of this lot will be aired on Friday 2nd 09 at the sure shot, so i will, at least, be trying to get them out there.

Sorry no clips available.....my files won't go outbound.

All the best for 2009 everyone.....twentyten just around the corner...foookin double L. All of you please have a good un. Mike :thumbsup:

Social source share

Awesome start folks - 46 tracks already!

List thus far...

Sage - Song For Yvonne - Head

Tradewind - Price Of Love - Tradewinds.

Millenium - Joy - Blue Boy

Lyn Defino - Such A Hard One To Lose - Prowlin.

Willie Welshes Band (Feat Sharon Ellis) - Whats Ever Fair -Blackbyrd

De De Gatrell - Second Hand Love - Maverick

Dennis Landry - Miss Hard To Get – Soul Unlimited

Honey B's - What Love Can Do – B’s Wax

Barbara Hall - Tell Me Tell Me - Tuska

Merger - You Pick Me Up – MGR

Sag War Fare-Dont Be So Jive-Libra

The Tkos Featuring Hank Jacobs - The Charge On Ten Star.

The Passions - High Jacked

Malcolm Dodds - Come See The Sun

Bobby Hebb - Love Me

The Passions - One Night Affair/ A Toast (May There Be No Last Time) – Gsf

Derek Martin - Baby, What Changed Your Mind - Previously Unissued

Derek Martin - I Can't Take It No More - Previously Unissued

Derek Martin - After All Is Said And Done - Previously Unissued

Louise Murray - The Love I Give – Verve

Jimmy Helms - That's The Way It Is – Oracle

Darrell Banks-The Love Of My Women-Cottillion

Alton Ellis - Girl I've Got A Date - Cool Soul

Four Sonics-Easier Said Than Done-Sport

The Esquires-Listen To Me-Capitol

The Artistics-You Left Me-Brunswick

The Performers-Little Angel-Sir Graham

David Ruffin-Until We Said Goodbye- Motown “Everythings Coming Up Love” Lp

9th Creation-Bionic Love Affair - Prelude "Reaching For The Top" Lp

Bill Brandon-Baby Love Is A Two Way Street - Prelude Lp

Willie Hutch - Cant Get Ready For Losing You - Motown "Fully Exposed" Lp

Grover Mitchell 'Gotta Keep Moving' Decca

Mae Young - Let's Give Our Love A Try - Big Mack

Eddie Floyd - Make Up Your Mind - Safice

Patti Austin - You're Too Much A Part Of Me - Coral

Bart Jackson - Dancin' Man - Decca

Ray Singer - Tell Me Now - Roulette

Wayne Anthony - You Ain't Wrapped Too Tight - Roulette

Carole Forrest - He's Awful Nice To Me - Atco

The Utopians - Ain't No Such Thing - Imperial

Larry Williams - Everyday I Wonder - Chess

E "Tiny" Watkins - Love Like A River - Sandy

Willie Mabon - I Don't Know - Mad

Lloyd Price -Don't Cry -Monument

Madame Nellie Robinson – Mini Your Dress Is Too Short - Gospel Corner

The Johnny Otis Show - Good Golly - Capitol

Keep 'em coming!

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

Buster Jones - baby Boy - Sure Shot

Honestly I´m not sure if it´s been played around (definitely not in Spain!!!), just got it and I believe is absolutely fantastic!!!

Social source share

Don't see many mentions of J.J. Lewis "When" on Malaco from the early 70s: was unknown to me until recently and the most enjoyable record I bought in 2008: brilliant tricky midtempo southern soul with vocals of the highest quality and a knee-freezing ending as he sings to much intent against a mass of male backing vocalists.

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

This is cheap and so good that it must be a biggie somewhere, but I'd never heard it until yesterday so:

Willie Collins "Don't stop now"

is my tip.

Also Al Huson "trying to prove my love" from the 2Especially for you" LP.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Agreed great track, try and find one though, been on my wants for an age, real toughie :D

Managed to get a Grover Mitchell & a Mae Young a few weeks back didn't realise how hard they were to track down! :D Once I started to rave about them to poeple how hard they are was obvious. Feel really lucky to have them. :thumbsup:

Oh yes and this one... William Cummings 'Make my love a hurtin' thing' Bang Bang.

Edited by Nik Mak
Social source share

Managed to get a Grover Mitchell & a Mae Young a few weeks back didn't realise how hard they were to track down! :huh: Once I started to rave about them to poeple how hard they are was obvious. Feel really lucky to have them. :thumbsup:

Oh yes and this one... William Cummings 'Make my love a hurtin' thing' Bang Bang.

Grover mitchell, not a big priced record just one of those infuriating ones you can`t find :D:D

Social source share

Managed to get a Grover Mitchell & a Mae Young a few weeks back didn't realise how hard they were to track down! :D Once I started to rave about them to poeple how hard they are was obvious. Feel really lucky to have them. :thumbsup:

Well, as you know Nick, big plays for me with Mae Young last year............Mr Thorley did the honours for me, Steve C, also picked up on it too, seems to be getting a real following now.......... WC............always a classic tune & one i have been lucky enough to have owned for some time........maybe a second wind with this.

I'll have to get back with my tips for this year, but pleased to see you guys are listening :D .

Russ

Social source share

Hi all just listened to the sag war fare posted by cenco right up my street any body any idea who plays it how much sounds bloody rare and awsome

Only ever seen one for sale , on ebay rare as rockin horse shit. Fookin brilliant record , flip not bad either . It was played out at Shobnall ,Burton-on-Trent last November

Social source share

Only ever seen one for sale , on ebay rare as rockin horse shit. Fookin brilliant record , flip not bad either . It was played out at Shobnall ,Burton-on-Trent last November

it was on ebay like 3 times in the last year, one ended very recently

Social source share

The Passions - High jacked

Malcolm Dodds - come see the sun

Bobby Hebb - Love me

maybe doing the rounds already so forgive me if they are :lol:

if not, play 'em smile.gif

alan

The Bobby Hebb dropped through my letterbox today. (£2 - wrongly listed and mis-spelt rolleyes.gif )

and...Presentations - Call On Me.

Haven't heard either played out in my neck of the woods, but will be soon. :rolleyes:

-Kev.

Social source share

NOT SO MUCH TIPS,BUT 1S THAT SEEM TO BE GETTN PLAYS AGAIN OR SHOULD BE GETTING PLAYS.

PERFORMERS / LITTLE ANGEL / SIR GRAHAM

(i agree with some of above posts what a great tune this is,had to have it)

SUPERBS / ONLY FOR LOVERS / ALTEEN

(a lot of record for not a lot of £.says 1970,but deffo late 60s sounding)

DELLILAH KENNEBRUEW / BRIGHT LIGHTS / LOMA

(one of the best on the label,great atmospheric female dancer)

CARL CARLTON / I CAN FEEL IT / BACK BEAT

(great shotts/staff tune thats gettn picked up on again,awsome bside to.think a guy has a box of these in the states.keeps putting minters up every month or so)

CYNTHIA BROWN / HEAVEN MUST OF SENT YOU / QIANA

(brill late 70s dancer.get a lot of asks when play this.tipped last year,but copies dont seem easy to get)

CARLTONS / OOO BABY b/w CANT YOU HEAR THE BEAT / ARGO

(great doubler but prefer oo baby.still to have its bigger day,cheap but dosnt sound it)

FOUR BROS(pros) / LET IT ALL REACH OUT / CARLA

(wrong group name on label,so makes it a hard one from them.great uptemp 60s dancer.great inst of cool jerk on bside)

ALBERT JONES / UP TO THE SUN / BUMP SHOP

(another winner by this guy,only heard it 6 months ago.could i say a love starved heart soundalike?)

steve

Edited by sepia
Social source share

NOT SO MUCH TIPS,BUT 1S THAT SEEM TO BE GETTN PLAYS AGAIN OR SHOULD BE GETTING PLAYS.

PERFORMERS / LITTLE ANGEL / SIR GRAHAM

(i agree with some of above posts what a great tune this is,had to have it)

SUPERBS / ONLY FOR LOVERS / ALTEEN

(a lot of record for not a lot of £.says 1970,but deffo late 60s sounding)

DELLILAH KENNEBRUEW / BRIGHT LIGHTS / LOMA

(one of the best on the label,great atmospheric female dancer)

CARL CARLTON / I CAN FEEL IT / BACK BEAT

(great shotts/staff tune thats gettn picked up on again,awsome bside to.think a guy has a box of these in the states.keeps putting minters up every month or so)

CYNTHIA BROWN / HEAVEN MUST OF SENT YOU / QIANA

(brill late 70s dancer.get a lot of asks when play this.tipped last year,but copies dont seem easy to get)

CARLTONS / OOO BABY b/w CANT YOU HEAR THE BEAT / ARGO

(great doubler but prefer oo baby.still to have its bigger day,cheap but dosnt sound it)

FOUR BROS(pros) / LET IT ALL REACH OUT / CARLA

(wrong group name on label,so makes it a hard one from them.great uptemp 60s dancer.great inst of cool jerk on bside)

ALBERT JONES / UP TO THE SUN / BUMP SHOP

(another winner by this guy,only heard it 6 months ago.could i say a love starved heart soundalike?)

steve

Albert Jones has been a popular record in the NE for a lot of years Steve and IMHO nearly all the copies in the country are up here although in about 20 years or so you could count on one hand How many times its been played out at venues, rarely comes up for sale either so getting one is an achievment in itself, mind if you if you have one or get one turn it over "Reflections" is an absolute treat.

Kev

Social source share

Albert Jones has been a popular record in the NE for a lot of years Steve and IMHO nearly all the copies in the country are up here although in about 20 years or so you could count on one hand How many times its been played out at venues, rarely comes up for sale either so getting one is an achievment in itself, mind if you if you have one or get one turn it over "Reflections" is an absolute treat.

Kev

hi kev.

managed to get a copy.has a small crack @ edge & a slight warp,but plays ok.lol

i do like the reflections side also.

Social source share

WALLY COCO - Message To Society florentine

FRANKIE STATON & Speckled Rainbow - Love One Another speckled rainbow

DELON WASHINGTON - Getting Mighty Close lovelites

EARLY CLOVER & the Georgia Soul drifters - Think It Over / Freedom both sides!

:rolleyes:

SAG WAR FARE is the bollox, but soooooo rare! unsure.gif

Social source share

some that i am playing and pushing this year

Alpacas love is a winners game double take (also play the other side)

gregory washington whisper cool breeze paramecium (thanks to andy dyson)

the future i cant stop C A R Been playing this for a year now.

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

some that i am playing and pushing this year

Alpacas love is a winners game double take (also play the other side)

gregory washington whisper cool breeze paramecium (thanks to andy dyson)

the future i cant stop C A R Been playing this for a year now.

mark

I used to have Gregory W...got a few Stafford plays i think? great tune.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert