Oldest Pair Of Dance Shoes Male/female

Rick Scott

Do you still take those all important most comfortable dancing shoes whether they be brougues or jazz shoes or what ever with you where ever you go?, you know the sort, you would not get rid of or part with them coz they are just the dogs bollocks to wear on the dance floor, :ohmy: how long have you had them? let's see if we can find the oldest pair of shoes still in good use on the soul scene today, they could have started on the Northern Scene and now graceing the Modern Soul dance floors, We could probably get odour eaters to sponcer them ohmy.gif A Very Happy New Year To You All rolleyes.gif

Edited by RICK SCOTT
Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Do you still take those all important most comfortable dancing shoes whether they be brougues or jazz shoes or what ever with you where ever you go?, you know the sort, you would not get rid of or part with them coz they are just the dogs bollocks to wear on the dance floor, :ohmy: how long have you had them? let's see if we can find the oldest pair of shoes still in good use on the soul scene, they could have started on the Northern Scene today and now graceing the Modern Soul dance floors, We could probably get odour eaters to sponcer them ohmy.gif A Very Happy New Year To You All rolleyes.gif

Please enlighten me as to what " Jazz Shoes " are , my dear Richard :lol: .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Do you still take those all important most comfortable dancing shoes whether they be brougues or jazz shoes or what ever with you where ever you go?, you know the sort, you would not get rid of or part with them coz they are just the dogs bollocks to wear on the dance floor, :ohmy: how long have you had them? let's see if we can find the oldest pair of shoes still in good use on the soul scene today, they could have started on the Northern Scene and now graceing the Modern Soul dance floors, We could probably get odour eaters to sponcer them ohmy.gif A Very Happy New Year To You All rolleyes.gif

Still got my old shoes from my wigan days, 35 years old but a bit small now, and still got my patch bags from the same time, even smaller, thats when I had a 32" waist, I'm a more cuddly 38" today lol :lol:

Social source share

Please enlighten me as to what " Jazz Shoes " are , my dear Richard laugh.gif .........

Malc Burton

Good Afternoon Malc and how are you? Well I hope, To answer your question my son who is 25 now used to have dancing lessons when he was very little and the requirement was to have Jazz Shoes to dance in, i bought a pair myself and they were brilliant to dance in as that is what they were designed for, They look a lot biggrin.gif like what Bruce Lee used to wear in his fight scenes, You see he was very clever, he could dance and kick the shit out of you at the same time

Edited by RICK SCOTT
Social source share

Still got my old shoes from my wigan days, 35 years old but a bit small now, and still got my patch bags from the same time, even smaller, thats when I had a 32" waist, I'm a more cuddly 38" today lol laugh.gif

Bloody hell 35 years, i take it when you say they are a bit small now you don't wear them? or do you squeeze them on and say "what the hell"

Social source share

Bloody hell 35 years, i take it when you say they are a bit small now you don't wear them? or do you squeeze them on and say "what the hell"

Well I can get them on just about but they pinch like hell, had them re-soled about 3 or 4 times in about 3 years, look a bit worse for wear now, then those 'nature treck' shoes came big so got a pair of those think they gave them the name of 'cornish pasty shoe' really comfortable though

Social source share

Good Afternoon Malc and how are you? Well I hope, To answer your question my son who is 25 now used to have dancing lessons when he was very little and the requirement was to have Jazz Shoes to dance in, i bought a pair myself and they were brilliant to dance in as that is what they were designed for, They look a lot biggrin.gif like what Bruce Lee used to wear in his fight scenes, You see he was very clever, he could dance and kick the shit out of you at the same time

I am well Richard , thankyou for asking , and thanks for explaining : I now know what you meant ........

When I were a lad and graced the dancefloor , I had the desire to learn to tap dance , with the notion by doing so , it would " brighten " my hoofing activities , and " crack up " the others who were strutting their stuff around me :ohmy: ........

I bought the shoes and was given lessons by the wife of a workmate , and became quite adept after a couple of months . I was no Bojangles , but could hold my own in short routines . Sadly , I only graced one dancefloor wearing the stated shoes - and not only

" cracked up " my fellow dancers , I cracked myself up laugh.gif ...........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

this is only vaguely related to your post, but I when went to the house of one of the dontells, who is really into roller skating (which is still really big on the south side of chicago today). when i told him how old I was, he was like "I have a pair of roller skates much older than you!" and he pulled out this ridiculous pair of 50 year old roller skates. they had holes and patches all over. he said he was still wearing them, like for show, but that his shoe person finally refused to fix it more and he couldn't find anyone else willing to fix it so he had to buy new shoes for his skates. he also had this awesome embroidered custom roller skate bag with two pouches and strap that went over his shoulder.

Social source share

this is only vaguely related to your post, but I when went to the house of one of the dontells, who is really into roller skating (which is still really big on the south side of chicago today). when i told him how old I was, he was like "I have a pair of roller skates much older than you!" and he pulled out this ridiculous pair of 50 year old roller skates. they had holes and patches all over. he said he was still wearing them, like for show, but that his shoe person finally refused to fix it more and he couldn't find anyone else willing to fix it so he had to buy new shoes for his skates. he also had this awesome embroidered custom roller skate bag with two pouches and strap that went over his shoulder.

Hi Boba, not as far removed from the post as you might think and very interesingly funny, laugh.gif we are all very strange beasts in the way we try to hold on to things as long as possible no matter how old, battered and worn they may look, huh.gif sounds so familiar with the Northern soul lads and their all niter bags used for change of clothes etc, :ohmy: nice one, take care Boba, Rick

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My shoes are about 17 years old, the uppers are split and the leather is cracked but they are too comfortable to let go :D One of these days they will fall apart during a 100mph record, leather flying every where across the dancefloor. Could be nasty.

Social source share

My shoes are about 17 years old, the uppers are split and the leather is cracked but they are too comfortable to let go :lol: One of these days they will fall apart during a 100mph record, leather flying every where across the dancefloor. Could be nasty.

Thats the trouble with my shoes so I keep a spare pair in the car,then again ive done this for 2years :lol:

Kev :D

Social source share

Still got my old shoes from my wigan days, 35 years old but a bit small now, and still got my patch bags from the same time, even smaller, thats when I had a 32" waist, I'm a more cuddly 38" today lol :lol:

Oh dear Im afraid to admit it :ohmy: ---but I can better that by 3 years or so :huh: . I still got me shoes from pre Nighter days at the Torch circa 1970

A pair of black and white brogue type beasts. Well worn on the heel which emphasised the type of dancing in them days--very much weight on the heels :) type of dance -remember :lol:

Not seen the light of day for years, although I did threaten to wear them for my eldest daughters wedding this year, and she said she would disown if I did :D

They are banished to my loft along with the first pair of football boots when I first played for a team----The 'George Best' signature boot with the side fastening to allow for greater ball control on the top of the boot!!! :ohmy:

Never worked for me :lol:

Yes and why do northern soulies horde things :lol::yes::g:

Happy new Year everybody

Jez

Social source share

Oh dear Im afraid to admit it :ohmy: ---but I can better that by 3 years or so :huh: . I still got me shoes from pre Nighter days at the Torch circa 1970

A pair of black and white brogue type beasts. Well worn on the heel which emphasised the type of dancing in them days--very much weight on the heels :g: type of dance -remember :lol:

Not seen the light of day for years, although I did threaten to wear them for my eldest daughters wedding this year, and she said she would disown if I did :D

They are banished to my loft along with the first pair of football boots when I first played for a team----The 'George Best' signature boot with the side fastening to allow for greater ball control on the top of the boot!!! :ohmy:

Never worked for me :lol:

Yes and why do northern soulies horde things :lol::lol::yes:

Happy new Year everybody

Jez

Bloody hell Jez,I think you've won,unless someone got some Roman Dancing Sandals :)

Kev

Social source share

I've got a bit of a tale about the old dancin shoes so here goes...

One of my male mates left a pair of shoes at my house once after a night out...would have been about 3 or 4 years ago now...one was black and one was brown...a left and a right...both the same style...brogue-type...rather strange I thought...he must have had 2 pairs with him and taken a black shoe and a brown shoe away with him...so I texted his Mrs to let her know I had found a black and a brown shoe and was rather perplexed by it...she text back to say that the two shoes I had were his dancing shoes...he'd kept the best shoes out of 2 pairs and binned the other 2 as they were past their prime...no matter that they were different colours as nobody would notice in a dark club...lol...can't remember how old they were but they were very old as I recall :D

Edited by Jill Bayles
Social source share

I've got a bit of a tale about the old dancin shoes so here goes...

One of my male mates left a pair of shoes at my house once after a night out...would have been about 3 or 4 years ago now...one was black and one was brown...a left and a right...both the same style...brogue-type...rather strange I thought...he must have had 2 pairs with him and taken a black shoe and a brown shoe away with him...so I texted his Mrs to let her know I had found a black and a brown shoe and was rather perplexed by it...she text back to say that the two shoes I had were his dancing shoes...he'd kept the best shos out of 2 pairs and binned the other 2 as they were past their prime...no matter that they were different colours as nobody would notice in a dark club...lol...can't remember how old they were but they were very old as I recall :g:

That is absolutely brilliant and so so typical of what we are about, great post, made me chuckle, made my day :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have some short black lace up boots that I bought in 1990 (known for obvious reasons as my raving boots!) and I still wear them to go dancing in as they are so comfortable, especially good for the Twisted Wheel with its 'interesting' floor

Odd shoe stories from the sixties -

I had a pair of black patent high heels that I wore to go out dancing - think I bought them in 1969. I lost one after I had been to the Raven Club at RAF Waddington. I was really fed up but somebody handed it in at the local chip shop !!!!!!! and as I knew the girl whose Dad owned it I got my shoe back. My brother later sold all my 60's shoes on Preston market!

My friend Gina and I bought a pair of shoes - two tone hign heeled brogues - from the Oxfam shop in Lincoln in about 1967 - we used to share them and had a booking system! Although I think they were a bit tight for me so I ended up letting her have them.

Social source share

Guest Mezhouse

I have some short black lace up boots that I bought in 1990 (known for obvious reasons as my raving boots!) and I still wear them to go dancing in as they are so comfortable, especially good for the Twisted Wheel with its 'interesting' floor

Odd shoe stories from the sixties -

I had a pair of black patent high heels that I wore to go out dancing - think I bought them in 1969. I lost one after I had been to the Raven Club at RAF Waddington. I was really fed up but somebody handed it in at the local chip shop !!!!!!! and as I knew the girl whose Dad owned it I got my shoe back. My brother later sold all my 60's shoes on Preston market!

My friend Gina and I bought a pair of shoes - two tone hign heeled brogues - from the Oxfam shop in Lincoln in about 1967 - we used to share them and had a booking system! Although I think they were a bit tight for me so I ended up letting her have them.

Hiya Kath,

Like you I used to raid the junk shops, as they were called back then, for the old brogues. However, I do still have a pair of very soft black leather jazz shoes which I've had for 40 years. I have a tame cobbler in Beverley who cuts out special soles for me and still wear them as a standby pair. Don't think the newer replacements will last anything like as long though!

Love your very accurate description of T'Wheel's floor lol!!!

Jo x

Social source share

Do you still take those all important most comfortable dancing shoes whether they be brougues or jazz shoes or what ever with you where ever you go?, you know the sort, you would not get rid of or part with them coz they are just the dogs bollocks to wear on the dance floor, :no: how long have you had them? let's see if we can find the oldest pair of shoes still in good use on the soul scene today, they could have started on the Northern Scene and now graceing the Modern Soul dance floors, We could probably get odour eaters to sponcer them :lol: A Very Happy New Year To You All :thumbsup:

Ahh the shoes ...

First there were the soft white granny shoes worn with ankle socks

Then the black platform sole lace ups with socks

Then the black leather nurses lace ups with small heels and black stockings (those who were at Yate one night when Tom Halvey held me upside down to show them off might remember!)

Then came the black spanish flamenco shoes with little straps - bought in 1983 and still going strong! You'll just have to guess what they're worn with ...

Once wore a pair of little black boots to dance in - they were great but somehow didn't look the part.

Just invested in two new pairs of shoes though - some glittery ballroom strappies with suede soles and a new pair of flamenco shoes with smooth, soft leather soles.

Ahhh shoes

Social source share

my fav pair just bit the dust... I had a full buriel for them I have a nice shiny new pair now exactly the same as the others (I bought two pairs at the same time) but the buggers dont dance as good as the old ones though.. I agree with Billy shoes have a mind of their own sometimes. ...lol

yours a very sadly sober Dawn and Happy new year to you too Rick, long time no see. x

Social source share

Imelda Marcos has nowt on me when it comes to shoes...to say I'm an addict is an under-statement...and strangely enough, even though I've been on this scene of ours for much longer than I care to remember, I just don't get this dancing shoes thingy...probs cos I can't dance :unsure:

I've been known to turn out a-soulin in the most inappropriate footwear...not you might think in the interests of fashion but because a particular pair of shoes or boots are the right height for a particular trouser-length...short and regular lengths are too short, whilst long is too long...unless I wear heels...don't do sewing, cant get my head round wonder-web and ain't paying high-street prices for clothing alterations so inevitably it takes me all my time to walk never mind dance in said footwear.

And this is from the one who once went to the Parr Hall in Warrington wearing suede moccasin slippers cos she forgot to put her shoes on before she went out and didn't even realise until the next day when she got back home...had she done so she could have swirled and twirled in complete comfort but didn't even hit that dancefloor once all night wacko.gif

Social source share

my fav pair just bit the dust... I had a full buriel for them I have a nice shiny new pair now exactly the same as the others (I bought two pairs at the same time) but the buggers dont dance as good as the old ones though.. I agree with Billy shoes have a mind of their own sometimes. ...lol

yours a very sadly sober Dawn and Happy new year to you too Rick, long time no see. x

Hi Dawn, And a happy new year to you and those close to you, Hope to catch up with you at a do soon maybe? Sound like you are quite like me on the shoe front, if i find a pair of shoes i like and feel right with i go back and buy a spare pair, do the same with clothes, cost me a bloody fortune though but you can't trust the old devil that lurks in the washing machine waiting to ruin your favourite shirt befor hitting the soul nite!

Edited by RICK SCOTT
Social source share

I have a pair of leather soled shoes that were made circa late 50s, Got them from a shoe factory that was closing down in Rushden in the late 80s.They were a sample pair and were in a glass display cabinet in the foyer and I always had my eye on them when my ex got a job there.

Cannot remember the name of the factory but was around the back of the old cinema near the police station

Still got them a bit tight now but still fit. Crackin pair of dancin shoes and I got them for nowt.

Dave H

Social source share

Guest Mezhouse

My tame cobbler cuts out new soles for my shoes from a sheet of resin. He then sticks them on the other way up so the soles are smoooooth and shiny - excellent for dancing naturally!

Jo

Social source share

Wor lass calls me daffy duck when we go out as my shoes are the same ones i have worn to soul nights for about 20 years and the souls are hanging off but if i got them resouled it be sacralidge, inground talc stains floppy souls dont know how many times i`ve glued them. i love em. they are like leather carpet slippers

chris :thumbsup:

Edited by ChrisOD1964
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert