J J Jackson - Oo-ma-liddi

Denbo

Can't say I've seen any on this label, which is normally orange if memory serves me well?

What opinions have you all in regard to the Prelude copy versus this Storm copy?

Just looking for general information like, why the two different labels? Info on each label? Etc.

post-4017-1230638149_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Following might be of interest Denbo, taken from Soulful Detroit, and indicates two seperate Storm labels:

J.J. Jackson and The Jackaels were an L.A. group. THAT J.J. Jackson was June Jackson (West coast), NOT J.J. Jackson from N.Y., who recorded "But It's All Right". I would guess that June Jackson's Storm label was an L.A. label (at least West Coast). It certainly looks like a Southern California label, rather than an East Coast one. And that record was found en masse in Southern California, and was rare in The East. I believe it had NOTHING to do with the Detroit Storm label, which also had a record out by The Chancellors (I have that), also a Detroit group (Storm 503). So, there most likely was a Storm 502, also (which, I believe I've seen before). I don't return to my 45s until November, but I'll put up a scan of The Chancellors.

The Chimes were a Girls Group, (not to be confused with Detroit's "Gospel Chimes" on Carmen Murphy's House of Beauty Records. The girls group sounds a bit like early Smokey Robinson, so inferences were made. Detroit's Storm records didn't move to N.Y. It would be interesting to find out who Storm's owners were.

Full link here https://faac.us/adf/messages/178308/179091.html?1222759946

Social source share

Following might be of interest Denbo, taken from Soulful Detroit, and indicates two seperate Storm labels:

J.J. Jackson and The Jackaels were an L.A. group. THAT J.J. Jackson was June Jackson (West coast), NOT J.J. Jackson from N.Y., who recorded "But It's All Right". I would guess that June Jackson's Storm label was an L.A. label (at least West Coast). It certainly looks like a Southern California label, rather than an East Coast one. And that record was found en masse in Southern California, and was rare in The East. I believe it had NOTHING to do with the Detroit Storm label, which also had a record out by The Chancellors (I have that), also a Detroit group (Storm 503). So, there most likely was a Storm 502, also (which, I believe I've seen before). I don't return to my 45s until November, but I'll put up a scan of The Chancellors.

The Chimes were a Girls Group, (not to be confused with Detroit's "Gospel Chimes" on Carmen Murphy's House of Beauty Records. The girls group sounds a bit like early Smokey Robinson, so inferences were made. Detroit's Storm records didn't move to N.Y. It would be interesting to find out who Storm's owners were.

Full link here https://faac.us/adf/messages/178308/179091.html?1222759946

Interesting . . . . . but slightly confusing?

Also, I wonder what the link is with the Philly based label Prelude which also released the record?

Social source share

Willie Jones is on the Detroit Label "Storm" #501. Along with the Chancellors #503. i think these there are only two records from detroit. Maybe no relation to the California Label but you never know the time period and the numbering sequence is very coincidental (1959)?? But then jj jackson also uses the same number #501 on the California "Storm" label conflicting this possible theory. In any case the Detroit "Storm" label appears to be a sister label or maybe a precursor to twirl records around 1959.

Social source share

This particular goodie, "Let the show begin"/"Oo-ma-liddi" actually appeared on three different labels.

The Prelude logo is the most common, followed by (in my experience) the black Storm label stock copy, then comes the Storm white label demos. The rarest format seems to be the Candix label demo copy...unless someone has a stock copy wihch would put that at the top of the tree...imo.

This Storm label has nothing to do with the Detroit or indeed New York (Latin as in Tony Middleton) labels.

:ohmy:

Social source share

There is indeed another track by them on Storm which is an orange label variant...but it is not as good as the track(s) we're interested in. Avoid it.

:ohmy:

I already have it, just couldn't get at it to confirm it was orange in colour.

I like it a lot actually. Lovely ballad / melody which I fell in love with when I first heard it on a trip to the US many years ago.

But thanks for the info / update. :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert