Define Soul Music

ajb

with all these debates about what does, and dosen't constitute soul music eg, soulful house, nu soul/jazz, ect.

Northern soul, at times being one of the biggest contradictions :wave:

what is soul music? is it the vocal?, or the music?, or both?

when is soul not soul?

or is it just our own personal interpretation, when it suits the individuals taste?

this should liven up a boxing day :lol:

and no talk of being an ar-soul ph34r.gif

alan

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

with all these debates about what does, and dosen't constitute soul music eg, soulful house, nu soul/jazz, ect.

when is soul not soul?

or is it just our own personal interpretation, when it suits the individuals taste?

this should liven up a boxing day :lol:

alan

I think personal interpretation. I know a SOUL record when I hear it but someone else may interpret it differently. Love Northern both old, crossover & modern but many although performed by black "soul" artists I wouldn't consider truely soul. I think "soul" to me personally means a connection between the backing and a heartfelt vocal that has meaning.

I don't really know but I know what a SOUL record is to me but find it hard to define it.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest familytree

Northern soul, at times being one of the biggest contradictions rolleyes.gif

when is soul not soul?

this should liven up a boxing day :no:

and no talk of being an ar-soul :yes:

alan

What a good question.. I think the clue is in the name personally so it is anything you hear that moves your soul, taps in to your emotions, very personal to the listener which is why we have these endless debates when really there is no defined rule to what consitutes soul. I have heard some music over the years that I deem truly soulful... can be opera, Beethoven etc.. if it moves me and sung or produced with a passion you can feel/hear it in a second and thats soulful in my book.

Social source share

Guest posstot

:D Hmmmmmmm;

Wasn't "Soul" a description of Gospel vocals at first?...The emotion in which a vocalist could move a congregation...and/or audience. Then along with the move of vocalists, out of the gospel arena, into a more secular audience..the saying came over with it!

If i quote the words on the back of Jackie Wilsons' Soultime album......

............"The trademark of any successful performer is some outstanding ingredient which sets him apart from his contemporaries. In the case of Jackie Wilson, that certain something is "SOUL".

In the vernacular of popular music, "soul" takes on more meaning than its dictionary definition. In this frame of reference, a performer has "soul" if, in his interpretation of a musical composition, he evokes some emotion in his audience. The listener's sensation may run the guant of deep emotions: excitement, compassion, sympathy. But, regardless of the kind of feeling that is generated, it is the performer who casts the spell.

Then on top of that it is also the musicians who add to that...using there instruments in the same way a performer uses his/her voice. Not accidently, It is an evolution of performer, musician, arranger/producer. That has given us SOUL.

Ultimately, it is the African, Afro carribean even afro/espanic neighbourhoods who gave us Soul. Which, without doubt, was forged in the church, musically-spiritually and socially. With the evolution of the teenager, the Black youth turned his/her back on the church looking for the thrill of life, in actuality and not in spirit. Not forgetting that most of the youth of Americas black communities were brought up on either God or Lionel Hampton. Mix the two together and you have the beginnings of soul.(thats what you call a summerisation) :ohmy:

Social source share

When in doubt go to Wikipedia - not too far off the mark methinks.

Soul music is a music genre originating in the United States combining gospel music and rhythm and blues. According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, soul is "music that arose out of the black experience in America through the transmutation of gospel and rhythm & blues into a form of funky, secular testifying."] The genre occasionally uses improvisational additions, twirls and auxiliary sounds. Catchy rhythms, stressed by handclaps and plastic body moves, are an important feature. Other characteristics are a call and response between the soloist and the chorus, and an especially tense vocal sound.

Social source share

i was hoping for a more personal point of veiw huh.gif

but, did it mention anything about soul source debates on there :lol::lol::(

Soul music is a music genre originating in the United States combining gospel music and rhythm and blues. According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, soul is "music that arose out of the black experience in America through the transmutation of gospel and rhythm & blues into a form of funky, secular testifying."] The genre occasionally uses improvisational additions, twirls and auxiliary sounds. Catchy rhythms, stressed by handclaps and plastic body moves, are an important feature. Other characteristics are a call and response between the soloist and the chorus, and an especially tense vocal sound.

Social source share

Guest souldancer

when is soul not soul?

this should liven up a boxing day :wub:

alan

Not many replies to this so thought I'd give it a go.....

Soul Music......is music with depth and feeling...it's melodic, rhythmic (well that's how i like my soul)..it's a sound that triggers off energy, excitement and emotions.

It's predominantly black music sung and performed in a certain spiritual way which is built in genetically from the hardships and struggles of their roots and battles coming from within.

It's music to reflect your moods but can also change your moods..that's why sticking to one genre/style isn't enough.

Soul music has wonderful lyrics about life, love, relationships, strengths, weeknesses, optimism and hope..

It's music to make your ears prick up and want to dance... it stands out above all other music and is with you each and every day.

Julia

Social source share

Not too far, but talk of 'funky' and 'plastic body moves' needn't be part of the description imo.

I liked the Wilson Pickett explanation to Ringo about it (soul) being a feeling. Ringo didn't have 'soul' and needed it explained to him.

A soulful vocal, with female backing singers, an up-tempo beat and plenty of horns.. Vital ingredients for the best type of soul for my tastes at least...

Social source share

Not many replies to this so thought I'd give it a go.....

Soul Music......is music with depth and feeling...it's melodic, rhythmic (well that's how i like my soul)..it's a sound that triggers off energy, excitement and emotions.

It's predominantly black music sung and performed in a certain spiritual way which is built in genetically from the hardships and struggles of their roots and battles coming from within.

It's music to reflect your moods but can also change your moods..that's why sticking to one genre/style isn't enough.

Soul music has wonderful lyrics about life, love, relationships, strengths, weeknesses, optimism and hope..

It's music to make your ears prick up and want to dance... it stands out above all other music and is with you each and every day.

Julia

Do you mean something like spelling !! :wave:

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Do you mean something like spelling !! :wicked:

Ooo ya horror...it's a good job we're acquainted.. :)

At least it shows i didn't copy straight from Wikipedia...marks deducted for that Andrew.. :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert