Overplayed/ Hammered To Death

Over the past year ive read a lot of comments on, SAME OLD SAME OLD, OVERPLAYED, SAME 100 OLDIES, personally i think this is a regional thing, as ive seen posts saying "so refreshing to hear this again etc" and thought hold on thats hammered to death, so wich records would you consider, to be overplayed? just an idea lets see how regional this is, ALL THE VERY BEST HARRY :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest inspirations001

morning mate,merry christmas.

here's one for you. flaming emeralds "have some evrybody" have heard the INST hammered to death, and that's worse that the slightly better vocal. bah humbug!!

also ace spectrum and eddie bishop.whether good or bad, VASTLY overplayed!

Social source share

morning mate,merry christmas.

here's one for you. flaming emeralds "have some evrybody" have heard the INST hammered to death, and that's worse that the slightly better vocal. bah humbug!!

also ace spectrum and eddie bishop.whether good or bad, VASTLY overplayed!

Morning colly, you see this is what i`m talking about you`ve mentioned two records ive not heard for an age, agree with ace spectrum though, merry xmas me old mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

i know what you mean mate. i suppose just in yorks you will have played out stuff if you go to same venues.then if u go do different do,you will hear sounds that are fresh to YOUR ears. hard one to call this mate.

Social source share

Round these 'ere parts (NW).....

DJ Genitals - 'Tribute to betty Swallocks' is getting close to replacing Ruby Andrews as the most overplayed track on the scene ever....

It's intersting (re:- Harrys regional point) that the above mentioned Flaming Emeralds was almost a rare track around here untill a few years ago - it them got completely murdered for a few months before disappearing of the radar again.

Social source share

Round these 'ere parts (NW).....

DJ Genitals - 'Tribute to betty Swallocks' is getting close to replacing Ruby Andrews as the most overplayed track on the scene ever....

It's intersting (re:- Harrys regional point) that the above mentioned Flaming Emeralds was almost a rare track around here untill a few years ago - it them got completely murdered for a few months before disappearing of the radar again.

Its a awkward situation for dj`s especially if youve got people travelling to your event from other regions, trying to satisfy a crowd with what you may think are records that are not hammered to death in your area to find they are in other regions, you may think your re-activating something, but its been played out in other areas, agree with you on the ruby andrews though :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Over the past year ive read a lot of comments on, SAME OLD SAME OLD, OVERPLAYED, SAME 100 OLDIES, personally i think this is a regional thing, as ive seen posts saying "so refreshing to hear this again etc" and thought hold on thats hammered to death, so wich records would you consider, to be overplayed? just an idea lets see how regional this is, ALL THE VERY BEST HARRY :thumbsup:

as a travelling soulie i find that if you pick your night out you will find music you have not heard before/for sometime, so yes i agree with the regional thing

Social source share

Its a awkward situation for dj`s especially if youve got people travelling to your event from other regions, trying to satisfy a crowd with what you may think are records that are not hammered to death in your area to find they are in other regions, you may think your re-activating something, but its been played out in other areas, agree with you on the ruby andrews though :thumbsup:

Also worth noting that certain of the so called "overplayed" tracks seem to have a greater 'gender' appeal, ie Ace Spectrum - Bobby Hutton - Bobby Womack etc always seem to get the Girlies up first...

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Also worth noting that certain of the so called "overplayed" tracks seem to have a greater 'gender' appeal, ie Ace Spectrum - Bobby Hutton - Bobby Womack etc always seem to get the Girlies up first...

this could be a new thread let you start the thread her indoors still thinks the soul scene is dominated by the male species which i don't by the way lol

Social source share

odd how the Flaming Embers :thumbsup: are put into this category. i aint heard that for best part of forever until i went to monaco last weekend!

the champion/that driving beat are played everywhere ive been for the last 5 yrs. night owl was played 3 times in one night at skeg weekender thmbdn.gif

as others have said, must be a regional thing

Social source share

Ahhh the safe net tracks :thumbsup:laugh.gif ive a couple in my dj box, the ones you know you can fall back on to recover the dancefloor :)

Social source share

Merry Crimble Harry , Di

I have a list from local soul nights but if i told you i'd annoy the promoters of em because the trouble i think is most are their particular favourites and they want to hear em and as they play the main parts of the evenings so thats when they are more evident too , i could pick a tune for most and some would know who it related to.....thats why i got on my bike so to speak and drove up to 300 miles round trips to soul nights !!!!

To those i say look beyond the 50 or so records you always play/ hear ,maybe i'm being over generous saying 50 lol... there are more tunes out there....but your correct wherever you go theres always tunes heard all the time in a certain area at most soul nights......unavoidable ??

You do mine and i'll do yours are the main culprits in my opinion simply because in my experience whichever event you then go to the muisc is the same tunes in a different venue played by the same person the week before in another.....the reason for my boredom.

Social source share

Morning colly, you see this is what i`m talking about you`ve mentioned two records ive not heard for an age, agree with ace spectrum though, merry xmas me old mate biggrin.gif

GO TO A GOLDSOUL EVENT AND YOU'LL HEAR HAVE SOME EVERYBODY ALL THE TIME :wave:

Social source share

Merry Crimble Harry , Di

I have a list from local soul nights but if i told you i'd annoy the promoters of em because the trouble i think is most are their particular favourites and they want to hear em and as they play the main parts of the evenings so thats when they are more evident too , i could pick a tune for most and some would know who it related to.....thats why i got on my bike so to speak and drove up to 300 miles round trips to soul nights !!!!

To those i say look beyond the 50 or so records you always play/ hear ,maybe i'm being over generous saying 50 lol... there are more tunes out there....but your correct wherever you go theres always tunes heard all the time in a certain area at most soul nights......unavoidable ??

You do mine and i'll do yours are the main culprits in my opinion simply because in my experience whichever event you then go to the muisc is the same tunes in a different venue played by the same person the week before in another.....the reason for my boredom

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++

HEAR THAT JOE!!!

IV'E BEEN SAYING THAT FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, THATS ONE OF THE REASONS I PACKED IN A THRIVING SOUL NIGHT IN THE NORTH EAST.. MOST PUNTERS WANT THE SAME OLD, AND AS A PROMOTER/DJ, I GOT FED UP OF PLAYING THEM.. BOB...

Social source share

HEAR THAT JOE!!!

IV'E BEEN SAYING THAT FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, THATS ONE OF THE REASONS I PACKED IN A THRIVING SOUL NIGHT IN THE NORTH EAST.. MOST PUNTERS WANT THE SAME OLD, AND AS A PROMOTER/DJ, I GOT FED UP OF PLAYING THEM.. BOB...

How do Bob....all the best to yourself and Theresa mate

Well Bob all thats set to change next year up at Easington by the look mate.....ive held my hands up many a time in conversation as being guilty of the same thing as i mention but how much can some take before they ask " what am i missing?"

I would ask all reading this to visit Easington miners welfare if possible , one of if not the best floor in the country " ask dancers such as Andy , Carl and the lads how true that is !! this coming year should see a whole new start as regards records played but without sacrificing the danceability factor and still leave room for some classic oldies ....get along if you can and open those lug holes !

Social source share

How do Bob....all the best to yourself and Theresa mate

Well Bob all thats set to change next year up at Easington by the look mate.....ive held my hands up many a time in conversation as being guilty of the same thing as i mention but how much can some take before they ask " what am i missing?"

I would ask all reading this to visit Easington miners welfare if possible , one of if not the best floor in the country " ask dancers such as Andy , Carl and the lads how true that is !! this coming year should see a whole new start as regards records played but without sacrificing the danceability factor and still leave room for some classic oldies ....get along if you can and open those lug holes !

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

its up to djs a good one will know if it has been over played and try something else good topic though :g:

The djs will know if it's been overplayed if they're residents or travel to 'local' gigs. But if you're a guest dj and travel to all parts of the country (and abroad) you do find 'regional' differences. For example, I can't remember the last time I heard the Flaming Emeralds played out Darn Sarf (S.East/London) - yet a couple of years ago, DD Sharp's 'Deep Dark Secret' had been caned and when I played it out in the N.E people didn't know it....so I do agree with Harry that regions do have their own soul 'microclimates' and one djs 'safety net' floor filler is another djs tumbleweed record. Another record is Sammy Ambrose's 'Welcome to Dreamsville' - rams the floor down here but not a floor filler when I've put it on elsewhere further North. One record that was massive on the European scene about 6 years ago was Sunday's 'I ain't got no problem'.....caused a real stir when we played it at These Old Shoes and became a firm favourite.

As far as 'oldies' go, I haven't heard 'The Champion' since it's release lol.....but, just as a memory jerker, I played the Co-operettes 'Shingaling' the other month at a London gig and it sounded amazing - and it filled the floor :ohmy: Hope the ramblings of a jobbing dj help you with your theory :D Jo x

Social source share

Over the past year ive read a lot of comments on, SAME OLD SAME OLD, OVERPLAYED, SAME 100 OLDIES, personally i think this is a regional thing, as ive seen posts saying "so refreshing to hear this again etc" and thought hold on thats hammered to death, so wich records would you consider, to be overplayed? just an idea lets see how regional this is, ALL THE VERY BEST HARRY biggrin.gif

The one thing that hammered to death and overplayed is this question :lol:

Social source share

Guest the major

Always a dilema, but what's a dj to do? Educate the crowd and risk an empty floor, avoid the 'classics' and upset the promoters/confuse the new blood, play it safe and annoy the purists or those that attend a do every week.

I think it is a regional thing in part - being closer to France than I am to Watford, but having been to Yorkshire gigs with a g/f from Doncaster, I notice some well played stuff that works better with bitter than it does with shandy and vice-versa.

All in the ear of the beholder I suppose, but there's absolutely no excuse for djs at some of the bigger weekender type events repeating themselves and eachother ....but that's another thread (or just the posts from Prestatyn/Blackpool etc).

Social source share

All in the ear of the beholder I suppose, but there's absolutely no excuse for djs at some of the bigger weekender type events repeating themselves and eachother ....but that's another thread (or just the posts from Prestatyn/Blackpool etc).

Problem is the Overplayed/Hammered To Death tunes are just what the people who frequent these events want to listen to - it's all the records they have on their HMV/Morrisons bought compilation CDs.

A weekender wouldn't be complete without a bit of Frank Wilson !!!!!

Social source share

It's funny...I think most of the supposed overplayed records are decidedly underplayed due to the fact that people think they are overplayed and don't play them :lol:

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

It's funny...I think most of the supposed overplayed records are decidedly underplayed due to the fact that people think they are overplayed and don't play them :lol:

Plus, if you're old and senile like me, you think 25 years ago is quite recent and that I can't play that as it was played 'not too long ago' :lol::)

Social source share

when i think of a soul nite the 3 tunes that come to mind are:

Five Royals, Catch That Teardrop

Marv Johnson, Come On and Stop

Julian Covey, A Little Bit Hurt

but... Hey!...they fill the floor, if i went to every niter and heard these same three then i would start to wonder what I`d payed my tenner for but a lot of these soul nite folks only go once an month and so to only hear classics like the above three on a cd in the car or at your local much loved venue turns the "hammered to death" tunes into soul nite favourites

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert