Nu Soul? Nu Jazz? Is This The Future?

ajb

having just acquired a new compilation CD of nu soul (from TE), must admit its something quite new to me, but thought i'd give it a go.

two tracks really stood out, and got me playing them over, and over again

1. fertile ground-black is

2.was a bee/mario biondi-this is what you are

what interested me the most was that these tracks where very jazz based

for the more informed on this subject, my question is..................

is this the future of soul?

and, what other similar stuff is worth looking into, presumably most seems to be newly/newishly released.

just to add, albums by both have been bought on vinyl already. fertile ground has already arrived, and said track is not the only gem on it.

many thanks, and merry christmas

alan

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

to answer your question, it's not the future of the soul scene at all, it's music that's been around for years but maybe you just haven't heard. What I would say is if you like it that much and start checking out the jazzier side of things then you may go down a rather expensive, time-consuming but enjoyable path - congratulations you just discovered a musical sub-genre! (and I don't mean any of that patronisingly to you, nobody has heard everything - despite the claims of some people on the internet nowadays lol)

check the schema label as a start if you like the more recent production style. try some soundclips on juno, they have a jazz/breakbeat section to trawl through.

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

check the schema label as a start if you like the more recent production style. try some soundclips on juno, they have a jazz/breakbeat section to trawl through.

cheers Sutty

thanks for that sutty, will do. i'm sure i won't like it all, but i'm not to old to keep learning more, for sure

alan

Social source share

why bother making that negative comment? the guys just keen to hear some more music similar to what he's just discovered. Why the necessity to use it as an excuse to make an underhand comment quite probably meaning 'it ain't northern so it's shite'... sigh and happy xmas!

cheers Sutty

Social source share

why bother making that negative comment? the guys just keen to hear some more music similar to what he's just discovered. Why the necessity to use it as an excuse to make an underhand comment quite probably meaning 'it ain't northern so it's shite'... sigh and happy xmas!

cheers Sutty

someone is tired :lol:

he is asking if its the way forward and where is soul going or did i read it wroing Sutty huh.gif

where was the underhand negative comment and where was the comment it aint northern unsure.gif

all i replied is that it wasnt for me or unless you agree on this site you aint allowed to comment

over to you

sigh bloody sigh and ho bloody ho

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

if its not for you why reply??

A question was asked and i thought i would reply, what is wrong with that :D

why question me when you aint even replied ??

Social source share

Ok just to clear things up as im obviously getting misunderstood, Nu soul and Nu Jazz is for me not the future of the soul scene as i see it, i am very open minded and not a 60s only fan as i have a good few records of 70s through to y2k so im also not blinkered in my taste, a tune for me is something that makes me sit up and listen and not the year it was made,

hope that helps :D

Social source share

Ok just to clear things up as im obviously getting misunderstood, Nu soul and Nu Jazz is for me not the future of the soul scene as i see it, i am very open minded and not a 60s only fan as i have a good few records of 70s through to y2k so im also not blinkered in my taste, a tune for me is something that makes me sit up and listen and not the year it was made,

hope that helps :D

i know exactly what ya saying bearsy, i generally listen to older 60's stuff, with a mix of 70's tunes i like. i, unlike yourself, have very little ''soul'' style/type records after this time.

the NU soul sound tag intrigued me so i investigated further, and these two tunes, as you say made me sit up and listen

having never been a follower of new soul music, i'm sure theres loads of stuff i've never come across, but i'm prepared to have a listen

i know i wont like all of it, may be most of it, but i know what i like, and they are the ones i buy

the CD swaps have opened my eyes to a lot of things out there, and i dont want to write anything off just yet

all the best and merry christmas

alan

Social source share

i know exactly what ya saying bearsy, i generally listen to older 60's stuff, with a mix of 70's tunes i like. i, unlike yourself, have very little ''soul'' style/type records after this time.

the NU soul sound tag intrigued me so i investigated further, and these two tunes, as you say made me sit up and listen

having never been a follower of new soul music, i'm sure theres loads of stuff i've never come across, but i'm prepared to have a listen

i know i wont like all of it, may be most of it, but i know what i like, and they are the ones i buy

the CD swaps have opened my eyes to a lot of things out there, and i dont want to write anything off just yet

all the best and merry christmas

alan

Fair play to you Alan and keep listening cos there is so much out there still thumbsup.gif

all the best and merry crimbo to you too :no:

Bearsy

Social source share

" is this the future of soul? "

No it isn't.

Please read the soulful house thread !

Are you sure, Nelson George didn't comment on jazz, ditto re the Soulful House thread! biggrin.gif

PS Mr Sutton you should know better than to be helpful, Merry Xmas to you and Jay,

Mr Bear, it didn't actually say Northern, you should know better than to attempt a sensible debate on here, Merry Xmas to you too, and maybe see you somewhere next year?

Social source share

Are you sure, Nelson George didn't comment on jazz, ditto re the Soulful House thread! :)

PS Mr Sutton you should know better than to be helpful, Merry Xmas to you and Jay,

Mr Bear, it didn't actually say Northern, you should know better than to attempt a sensible debate on here, Merry Xmas to you too, and maybe see you somewhere next year?

Hi Jock :lol: I didnt mention Northern either i was just accused on assumption by a mind reader that i was saying "cos it aint Northen" and yeah even though i love a good debate i was only passing a comment on this in an innocent way this time honestly guvnor :no:

Merry crimbo Jock and yeah you will defo see me out and about a lot more next year for a good old natter and that shades.gif

Bearsy

Social source share

Hi

I dont usually reply on this forum but I am a jazz,nujazz, dancejazz, latin, funk, northern soul, modern soul fan. I, like a lot of others, I go back some way in my soul music and I`ve got to say I love it all. My general overall view is I hope the best record I ever hear has yet to be made and I`m gonna keep looking.

To answer the original question ......no it`s not the future of soul however there are some aspects of nujazz that more modern soul fans will find accessable. This is many due to the vocal content on some releases targeting a more commercial sound to a wider audience. I wont critise it cus it`s good IMO. The more heavier end of nujazz will I doubt would appeal to a wider soul fan base but has it`s own merits to the right folks.

the current biggy being Brenda Boykin - `love is in town` (2008). A jazz track from a recognised award winning jazz vocalist that is already being played in soul rooms. To be honest most soul DJ`s dont tell the crowd it`s a jazz track and why should they, it`s soulful. Soul tracks have been coming from jazz artists for years and will continue to do so. I will say however I admire the instrumentaion on most nujazz tracks where the art of a group playing instruments is practised.

Social source share

Hi

I dont usually reply on this forum but I am a jazz,nujazz, dancejazz, latin, funk, northern soul, modern soul fan. I, like a lot of others, I go back some way in my soul music and I`ve got to say I love it all. My general overall view is I hope the best record I ever hear has yet to be made and I`m gonna keep looking.

To answer the original question ......no it`s not the future of soul however there are some aspects of nujazz that more modern soul fans will find accessable. This is many due to the vocal content on some releases targeting a more commercial sound to a wider audience. I wont critise it cus it`s good IMO. The more heavier end of nujazz will I doubt would appeal to a wider soul fan base but has it`s own merits to the right folks.

the current biggy being Brenda Boykin - `love is in town` (2008). A jazz track from a recognised award winning jazz vocalist that is already being played in soul rooms. To be honest most soul DJ`s dont tell the crowd it`s a jazz track and why should they, it`s soulful. Soul tracks have been coming from jazz artists for years and will continue to do so. I will say however I admire the instrumentaion on most nujazz tracks where the art of a group playing instruments is practised.

Another track off the Brenda Boykin CD - "Freedom Song" is one of the best tunes of the year - it is absolutely stunning !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert