Crack In Record

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi guys

has anyone had any success in repairing a crack in a record? It hasn't gone all the way,the b side is still holding and plays ok

Dave

Don't know about repairing but if the crack is at the edge, carefully dab on a small spot of superglue to prevent movement and further cracking. Be patient and careful that it is set near perfect before glueing and always dab the edge downwards towards glue, this stops glue creeping into the vinyl groove or the music will suffer even more.

Ps. Personally I have done this with at least 4 tunes that were worth holding onto with great playable results. If the opposite side is a rubbish tune, this can be "braced" with very thin paper and glue to further strengthen the playable side. Hope this helps to some extent but please as always, the decision is yours alone and I cannot accept responsibility :(

H

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

The glue thing has always failed for me due to the fact that it's too easy for it to go wrong, the way I've used in the past is to put the record on a very solid surface ie kitchen worktop, press down making sure that it's completely flat then run a heated knife along the outside edge (not the face) to slightly melt it.

Suggest though you practice on another cracked record first before trying it on something you value....I practiced on every copy of Marlena Shaw - Wade In The Water that I could get my hands on as I had great pleasure in cracking that piece of crap...lol

KTF

Baz

Hi guys

has anyone had any success in repairing a crack in a record? It hasn't gone all the way,the b side is still holding and plays ok

Dave

Social source share

The glue thing has always failed for me due to the fact that it's too easy for it to go wrong, the way I've used in the past is to put the record on a very solid surface ie kitchen worktop, press down making sure that it's completely flat then run a heated knife along the outside edge (not the face) to slightly melt it.

Suggest though you practice on another cracked record first before trying it on something you value....I practiced on every copy of Marlena Shaw - Wade In The Water that I could get my hands on as I had great pleasure in cracking that piece of crap...lol

KTF

Baz

Crikey Baz thats a bit strong mate !! K.T.F.
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Hey Baz,

..................and I heard you gained your expertise practicing on cracked copies of Don Gardner's "Cheating Kind"...............................

Take care,

John

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Don't know about repairing but if the crack is at the edge, carefully dab on a small spot of superglue to prevent movement and further cracking. Be patient and careful that it is set near perfect before glueing and always dab the edge downwards towards glue, this stops glue creeping into the vinyl groove or the music will suffer even more.

Ps. Personally I have done this with at least 4 tunes that were worth holding onto with great playable results. If the opposite side is a rubbish tune, this can be "braced" with very thin paper and glue to further strengthen the playable side. Hope this helps to some extent but please as always, the decision is yours alone and I cannot accept responsibility :thumbsup:

H

DON'T DO THIS IF THE RECORD IS MADE OF STYRENE !

It does work perfectly with vinyl records though because I've done the very same thing.

Social source share

Have seen records with razor blades fixed to the flip in order to hold in place biggrin.gif

:wave:

Saw a copy of "To The Ends Of The Earth" (if memory serves) in a play box in Bolton some years ago with a stanley knife blade glued to the back to hold it together. Played perfectly.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

LOL....I never bought it.....would've bought a lot more with what was paid for it, but it's here in Australia in two halves in a frame....btw I think it's a shite track anyway.

KTF

Baz

Hey Baz,

..................and I heard you gained your expertise practicing on cracked copies of Don Gardner's "Cheating Kind"...............................

Take care,

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert