Super Bad L.p

Guest mobbsy

how many of you bought this l.P. when it came out? was it your first taste of soul music? as a 14 year old i thought it was brilliant!!! who compiled it??

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It was compiled by Freddie Mack AKA Mr. Superbad, he moved to the Glasgow area in the late 70ts and as far as I know still lives there.

Cheers John Kerr

Social source share

It was compiled by Freddie Mack AKA Mr. Superbad, he moved to the Glasgow area in the late 70ts and as far as I know still lives there.

Cheers John Kerr

" SUPER BAD "

SIDE A.

1 - STEP BY STEP (JOE SIMON)

2 - THAT LADY. (ISLEY BROTHERS)

3 - LOVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP. (ROBERT KNIGHT)

4 - IF YOU WANT ME TO STAY. (SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE)

5 - IT HURTS SO GOOD. (MILLIE JACKSON)

6 - LONELY DAYS LONELY NIGHTS. (DON DOWNING)

7 - YES WE CAN CAN. (POINTER SISTERS)

8 - I'M DOIN' FINE NOW. (NEW YORK CITY)

9 - DIRTY OL' MAN. (THE THREE DEGREES)

10 - WHEN YOU GET RIGHT DOWN TO IT. (RONNIE DYSON)

11 - BACK STABBERS. (O'JAYS)

12 - I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE BABY. (BARRY WHITE)

SIDE B.

1 - REACH OUT AND TOUCH (SOMEBODY'S HAND). (FOUR TOPS AND THE SUPREMES)

2 - WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES. (BILLY PRESTON)

3 - WHATS GOING ON. (MARVIN GAYE)

4 - SUPERWOMAN. (STEVIE WONDER)

5 - THE MESSAGE. (CYMANDE)

6 - WHY CAN'T WE LIVE TOGETHER. (TIMMY THOMAS)

7 - MOCKING BIRD. (ARETHA FRANKLIN)

8 - I'LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA. (THE INTRUDERS)

9 - ONE GIRL TOO LATE. (BRANDA AND THE TABULATIONS)

10 - IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW. (HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUENOTES)

11 - MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA. (GLADY'S KNIGHT AND THE PIPS)

12 - MOVE ON UP. (CURTIS MAYFIELD)

LABEL : K - TEL INTERNATIONAL

Malc Burton

Social source share

" SUPER BAD "

SIDE A.

1 - STEP BY STEP (JOE SIMON)

2 - THAT LADY. (ISLEY BROTHERS)

3 - LOVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP. (ROBERT KNIGHT)

4 - IF YOU WANT ME TO STAY. (SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE)

5 - IT HURTS SO GOOD. (MILLIE JACKSON)

6 - LONELY DAYS LONELY NIGHTS. (DON DOWNING)

7 - YES WE CAN CAN. (POINTER SISTERS)

8 - I'M DOIN' FINE NOW. (NEW YORK CITY)

9 - DIRTY OL' MAN. (THE THREE DEGREES)

10 - WHEN YOU GET RIGHT DOWN TO IT. (RONNIE DYSON)

11 - BACK STABBERS. (O'JAYS)

12 - I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE BABY. (BARRY WHITE)

SIDE B.

1 - REACH OUT AND TOUCH (SOMEBODY'S HAND). (FOUR TOPS AND THE SUPREMES)

2 - WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES. (BILLY PRESTON)

3 - WHATS GOING ON. (MARVIN GAYE)

4 - SUPERWOMAN. (STEVIE WONDER)

5 - THE MESSAGE. (CYMANDE)

6 - WHY CAN'T WE LIVE TOGETHER. (TIMMY THOMAS)

7 - MOCKING BIRD. (ARETHA FRANKLIN)

8 - I'LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA. (THE INTRUDERS)

9 - ONE GIRL TOO LATE. (BRANDA AND THE TABULATIONS)

10 - IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW. (HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUENOTES)

11 - MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA. (GLADY'S KNIGHT AND THE PIPS)

12 - MOVE ON UP. (CURTIS MAYFIELD)

LABEL : K - TEL INTERNATIONAL

Malc Burton

well you old reminicent you Malc

Social source share

Ronco's Black Explosion was another formative one for me thumbsup.gif

post-1918-1229542352_thumb.jpg

A1 Love Unlimited Orchestra Love's Theme

A2 First Choice Armed And Extremely Dangerous

A3 Wilson Pickett Soft Soul Boogie Woogie

A4 Tony Clarke (2) Landslide

A5 Limmie & Family Cookin' A Walkin' Miracle

A6 Jimmy Helms Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse

A7 Delfonics, The Didn't Blow Your Mind This Time

A8 Gladys Knight And The Pips I've Got To Use My Imagination

A9 Whispers, The A Mother For My Children

A10 Dells, The Sing A Rainbow/Love Is Blue

A11 New York City I'm Doing Fine Now

A12 Sly & The Family Stone Dance To The Music

B1 Barry White Honey Please, Can't Ya See

B2 Jimmy Ruffin Tell Me What You Want

B3 O'Jays, The Love Train

B4 Isaac Hayes Theme From Shaft

B5 Stylistics I'm Stone In Love With You

B6 Johnny Nash There Are More Questions Than Answers

B7 OC Smith La La Peace Song

B8 Billy Paul Brown Baby

B9 Main Ingredient Everybody Plays The Fool

B10 Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes The Love I Lost

B11 Johnny Johnson And The Bandwagon (Blame It) On The Pony Express

B12 Aretha Franklin Soulville

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

These albums take me back to the early 70s and remind me of my Brother-in-law and working with him during the school summer holidays to make some cash for records.

He bough a brand new Datsun 160 sss and it had an 8 track player in it, he hammered these albums plus a few more compilations--He drives a F**cking Bentley Now laugh.gif

How times change !

Rob

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

These albums take me back to the early 70s and remind me of my Brother-in-law and working with him during the school summer holidays to make some cash for records.

He bough a brand new Datsun 160 sss and it had an 8 track player in it, he hammered these albums plus a few more compilations--He drives a F**cking Bentley Now :D

How times change !

Rob

Hey Rob whats an 8 track? i need an history lesson as im only a youth thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

It was compiled by Freddie Mack AKA Mr. Superbad,

OMG - I never knew that!

My memories of Freddie Mack are from his "soul band" days of the late 60's. He had a band in the style of Geno Washington/Jimmy James etc. - but even bigger. They just about filled any stage they appeared on.

Right at the bottom of this poster is an advert for one of their gigs.

med_gallery_6836_1066_8807.jpg

From a few years earlier than Super Bad, the compilation we all coveted (apart from the Motown Chartbusters) was "This is Soul".

tn_gallery_6836_1066_10858.jpg

How bad was that - staring at it in the shop window - with just your paper round money to get you through the week!!

MB

Social source share

how many of you bought this l.P. when it came out? was it your first taste of soul music? as a 14 year old i thought it was brilliant!!! who compiled it??

I bought it when it first came out (must have been 74ish) ! Little bit on the "modern" side but some great tracks on there. Still give it the occasional spin :D

Another great compiliation that came out round about the same time was "Motown Disco Classics - Volume II". Some great tracks on there but can't ever recall seeing Volume I :D Anybody else?

Social source share

I bought it when it first came out (must have been 74ish) ! Little bit on the "modern" side but some great tracks on there. Still give it the occasional spin :D

Another great compiliation that came out round about the same time was "Motown Disco Classics - Volume II". Some great tracks on there but can't ever recall seeing Volume I :D Anybody else?

was there one called 'Motown non stop party' or something like that?

Social source share

Yes, the one you're thinking of is 'Motown Memories 16 Non-Stop Tamla Hits' which was the first of the Disco Classics series, according to the blurb on the back of vol.3. I have the Memories album and vols 3 & 4 and I think there was also a volume 5.

Social source share

heres the cover malc not sure of the track listing, :ohmy:

" Super Bad Is Back "

Joe Simon Featuring The Mainstreeters - The Theme From "Cleopatra Jones

First Choice - Armed And Extremely Dangerous

Annette Snell - You Oughtta' Be Here With Me

The Manhattans - There's No Me Without You

Tyrone Davis - There It Is

Fred Wesley & The JB's - Doin' It To Death

Chakachas - Jungle Fever

Kool & The Gang - Funky Stuff

Barry White - I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby

Millie Jackson - It Hurts So Good

The Chi-Lites - Stoned Out Of My Mind

Curtis Mayfield - Future Shock

Don Covay - I Was Checkin' Out - She Was Checkin' In

Bill Withers - Lean On Me

New York City - Make Me Twice The Man

Mandrill - Fencewalk

Lyn Collins - Think ( About It )

Earth, Wind & Fire - Evil

James Brown - Sexy, Sexy, Sexy

The O'Jays - The Time To Get Down

Malc Burton

Social source share

Yes it was one of the first LPs I ever bought. They cut all the tracks short :lol: to fit 24 on, but in it's day it was THE LP to be seen out with.

Social source share

He bough a brand new Datsun 160 sss and it had an 8 track player in it, he hammered these albums plus a few more compilations--He drives a F**cking Bentley Now :P

How times change !

Rob

Coincidently, I bought this on an 8 track as that was what was in my dad's car at the time! :lol:

I'm sure I've still got the tape somewhere, but the player is long gone shades.gif

(Never managed a Bentley either!)

Yes it sure was a great compilation in it's day...

Social source share

Guest familytree

From a few years earlier than Super Bad, the compilation we all coveted (apart from the Motown Chartbusters) was "This is Soul".

How bad was that - staring at it in the shop window - with just your paper round money to get you through the week!!

MB

Gosh that was one of the first L.Ps I bought!... froma second hand shop... Bargains galore!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

OMG - I never knew that!

My memories of Freddie Mack are from his "soul band" days of the late 60's. He had a band in the style of Geno Washington/Jimmy James etc. - but even bigger. They just about filled any stage they appeared on.

Right at the bottom of this poster is an advert for one of their gigs.

med_gallery_6836_1066_8807.jpg

MB

MB, what a FANTASTIC clipping....absolutely priceless. I can just about see that the Upper Cut was in Forest Gate - where? Wish I had a time machine - ladies got to see Jimi H cheaper than blokes :ohmy:laugh.gif I was selling these LPs in 'my' record shop (K-TWOs in Chatham) back in the day - EVERYBODY and I mean everybody wanted a copy of KTEL presents 'SuperBad' - the Ronco album didn't sell as well but both were excellent introductions to soul - some quite adventurous choices on there for then. Mr SuperBad appeared at the Pembroke Club at Chatham Dockyard with two go go girls in gold hotpants - eat ya heart out Kylie!! That's the only bit that I can remember about the whole night....

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Mr SuperBad appeared at the Pembroke Club at Chatham Dockyard with two go go girls in gold hotpants - eat ya heart out Kylie!! That's the only bit that I can remember about the whole night....

VV

I'm gobsmacked that you mention his two go go girls. As I was making the original post I had this overwhelming memory of the dancers/backing singers who used to appear with him in his Freddie Mack days.

I thought it was too trivial to mention - but they really were "the business".

As you see on the clip there were 15 people in his band. That must have been something like 5 brass/3 guitars/drums/keyboards/Freddie himself and maybe up to 4 dancers and singers. A real stage full!!

Again it seems trivial to mention but that guy put so much into his performance that an actual stream of sweat used to run off his face. I don't recall seeing the likes before or since.

I didn't actually see Freddie at the Upper Cut - the clip was something I found somewhere along the way.

But, as mentioned in another post, the Upper Cut club was owned by the boxer Billy Walker. Anyone who was around in the 1960's would remember that name. He was almost as well known as Henry Cooper at the time. Very good looking and charismatic guy so the newspapers loved him.

I believe that that first Stax tour that came over in 1967, Otis, Sam & Dave, Arthur Conley et al played one of their gigs at the Upper Cut.

The club was located at the Forest Gate Centre, Woodgrange Road, E7.

MB

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

VV

I'm gobsmacked that you mention his two go go girls. As I was making the original post I had this overwhelming memory of the dancers/backing singers who used to appear with him in his Freddie Mack days.

I thought it was too trivial to mention - but they really were "the business".

As you see on the clip there were 15 people in his band. That must have been something like 5 brass/3 guitars/drums/keyboards/Freddie himself and maybe up to 4 dancers and singers. A real stage full!!

Again it seems trivial to mention but that guy put so much into his performance that an actual stream of sweat used to run off his face. I don't recall seeing the likes before or since.

I didn't actually see Freddie at the Upper Cut - the clip was something I found somewhere along the way.

But, as mentioned in another post, the Upper Cut club was owned by the boxer Billy Walker. Anyone who was around in the 1960's would remember that name. He was almost as well known as Henry Cooper at the time. Very good looking and charismatic guy so the newspapers loved him.

I believe that that first Stax tour that came over in 1967, Otis, Sam & Dave, Arthur Conley et al played one of their gigs at the Upper Cut.

The club was located at the Forest Gate Centre, Woodgrange Road, E7.

MB

Gogo girls in gold shorts are NEVER too trivial to mention - it paints the scene :yes: I remember his djing being very 'full on' and he was a great entertainer - plus he was SUPERBAD.....we were easily pleased back then :no: Didn't Billy Walker get into finance? Nothing to do with the thread but I met Henry Cooper after I'd packed his Lonsdale belt after an exhibition at the V&A. Lovely man and much taller than me :yes: I had to resist the urge to say 'splash it all over' :):(

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Nothing to do with soul lps but the other album that everyone and his dog had is 'That'll be the day'..........if I had a pound for each of those that I sold I'd be living in Lytham St Annes :shhh: and not forgetting RicTic Relics - dreadful 'stereo' seperation and dodgy seguing into each track....and the RCA LP with the cartoon dancers on the front with all the Northern tracks - was it 'Jumping at the GoGo' - FANTASTIC album - got me into Willie Kendricks, Hestitations etc. In the words of Doris Day 'gonna take a sentimental journey'.... laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Didn't Billy Walker get into finance?

You are most likely thinking of his brother - George Walker. I think he acted as Billy's manager for a while and eventually ended up owning a huge company called Brent Walker. But it collapsed in all sorts of controversy - I think in the 1990's or maybe earlier. It seemed a huge deal at the time, but pales into insignificance compared to some of the recent corporate/banking failures.

Nothing to do with the thread but I met Henry Cooper after I'd packed his Lonsdale belt after an exhibition at the V&A. Lovely man.

So glad to hear that. A real British icon of the 1960's. Never heard him say a bad word - or a bad word said about him.

MB

Social source share

Sure was Steve.

Think you mean the Motown Dance Party double album?

50 non stop hits.

Really hope you are not referring to the The Sound of Motown-The Ultimate Non Stop Soul Party Album - Jive Bunny megamix :lol:

Social source share

Jimmy Helms - Black Joy

Labelle - Lady Marmalade

Moments & Whatnauts - Girls

Drifters - Saturday Night At The Movies

Johnny Nash -Tears On My Pillow

Shirley & Company - Shame, Shame, Shame

Real Thing -The Dance With Me

Three Degrees- When Will I See You Again

Cimarons - Living On The Dole

Billy Paul - Me & Mrs. Jones

Spinners - The Rubber Band Man

Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes-Don't Leave Me This Way

Gladys Knight And The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia

O'Jays - Darlin' Darlin' Baby

Biddu Orchestra - Summer Of '42

Real Thing - Lightning Strikes Again

Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer

Bill Fredericks - Love With You

Ben E. King - Stand By Me

Lee Vanderbilt - Lonely I

Linda Lewis - It's In His Kiss

Cimarons - Black Joy

Does any of you soul sourcers know the track listing for 'black joy' cant remember any of them

many thanks in advance

Social source share

Sure was Steve.

Think you mean the Motown Dance Party double album?

50 non stop hits.

Really hope you are not referring to the The Sound of Motown-The Ultimate Non Stop Soul Party Album -megamix Jive Bunny :lol:

I thought that one was by Mr Blobby???

Social source share

I bought it when it first came out (must have been 74ish) ! Little bit on the "modern" side but some great tracks on there. Still give it the occasional spin :lol:

Another great compiliation that came out round about the same time was "Motown Disco Classics - Volume II". Some great tracks on there but can't ever recall seeing Volume I g.gif Anybody else?

Silly me blush.gif It was actually Volume 4 I bought!

Anyone on here got the first 3?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ronco and K-Tel were better known for their sometimes bizarre, novelty household gadgets which were widely advertised on TV, and frequently parodied by comedians at the time. Prior to these series of albums I think it's true to say that there had never been compilation albums that sourced tracks from several different record companies before.

However, they were not really "the album to be seen with" per.se., as they were strictly budget albums aimed at the Woolworths clientele rather than the discerning Soul fan, most of whom would already have the tracks either on singles or the original albums. Nonetheless, they had good reviews in the Soul press and sold by the boxload. (They were the most likely second-hand Soul albums you'd expect to find in charity shops back in the 70s!)

The Atlantic "This Is Soul" album was seminal to a whole generation of young soul fans - alongside Motown Chartbusters Vol.3 - and I suspect many on here go misty eyed at the mere mention of it. :lol:

(I remember swopping Symarip's "Skinhead Moonstomp" album for it C.1969/70!)

Wasn't Freddie Mack signed with Contempo records at one time also?

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

Posted this Nov 9th on freebasing and didn't get a look in :D

Spent last weekend down in Lyme Regis, freezing my nuts off on the world famous Cob. During the Saturday afternoon, my wife and I 'did' the charity shops in Exeter and Exmouth:- she looking for ceramics while I looked for vinyl, as you do. First shop, I picked up the L.P. Super Bad on that prestigious label K-Tel. Mint copy for 50p. Couldn't believe my luck namely because it includes Don Downing's ' Lonely days, Lonely nights'. I used to love the record and hadn't heard it since '73. Played it to death all this week. Anybody remember 'Super Bad' being advertised on TV as was the norm with K-Tel rcords.

I bought 8 LP.s all together for a total of 6 quid including a mint copy of ' It's Christmas in Motown'. Got to say much better pickings than the charity shops in the Black Country wink.gif Ade

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

MB, what a FANTASTIC clipping....absolutely priceless. I can just about see that the Upper Cut was in Forest Gate - where? Wish I had a time machine - ladies got to see Jimi H cheaper than blokes :)laugh.gif I was selling these LPs in 'my' record shop (K-TWOs in Chatham) back in the day - EVERYBODY and I mean everybody wanted a copy of KTEL presents 'SuperBad' - the Ronco album didn't sell as well but both were excellent introductions to soul - some quite adventurous choices on there for then. Mr SuperBad appeared at the Pembroke Club at Chatham Dockyard with two go go girls in gold hotpants - eat ya heart out Kylie!! That's the only bit that I can remember about the whole night....

Great memories of the Pembroke club from my time in the Navy. And that album " This is Soul". Mass produced but in the 6o's was the album to have.

Jo, think I had left the Navy when you started going to the Pembroke.

Social source share

Wasnt there another one, double album, called Black Power, I remember the wife had it when I first met her but it was absolutely trashed.

Slightly off track, is there any value to the MFP albums by Smokey Robinson and Marvin Gaye, any un-released tracks on there? She has themn somewhere along with the Big Wheels Of Motown album.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert