Sugar Billy?

Guest familytree

Guest familytree

This subject was probably covered when Joss Stone released it but i wasnt a member then.

Anyway, Ive just found a 'Sugar Billy' album in the attic 'super duper love' (see what some people find in their attics Beeks! :D ) and obviously realised this is where Joss got it from, its a brilliant album altogether but i have never heard of sugar billy before.. (well must have done at some point but its been locked away for 15 years) has she done anything since and was she credited for it on the Stone album etc... any info appreciated cos i know nothing about Sugar Billy.... go easy on me for my ignorance please... hey and does anyone know what the album is worth?? My first ever posting on here so be kind x

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest vinylvixen

This subject was probably covered when Joss Stone released it but i wasnt a member then.

Anyway, Ive just found a 'Sugar Billy' album in the attic 'super duper love' (see what some people find in their attics Beeks! :D ) and obviously realised this is where Joss got it from, its a brilliant album altogether but i have never heard of sugar billy before.. (well must have done at some point but its been locked away for 15 years) has she done anything since and was she credited for it on the Stone album etc... any info appreciated cos i know nothing about Sugar Billy.... go easy on me for my ignorance please... hey and does anyone know what the album is worth?? My first ever posting on here so be kind x

Sugar Billy born Willie Garner in Detroit soul funk singer from the 70's - wrote Super Duper Love in 1974. No links to any images....

Social source share

Guest familytree

Sugar Billy born Willie Garner in Detroit soul funk singer from the 70's - wrote Super Duper Love in 1974. No links to any images....

Hey thanks for that... yes a very funky album... fab tune for 74 and now x

Social source share

Guest familytree

had 2 45 releases played on the scene

got both on 45 somewhere-----sugar pie and super duper love--------both on fast track

Gosh was Super Duper played out on the scene?!... Ive obviously been going to the wrong places!

Social source share

Guest familytree

Is the LP quite hard to get and so been repressed/booted?. See 45's around but only repress of the LP

Hope your not asking me! ha .. Mine is def original but Im very interested to know if its hard to get.... I suppose it must be if not just for the age of it.... the whole album is great! Joss barely changed a thing!... though as always the production is a lot meatier.....mmmmm!

Social source share

Gosh was Super Duper played out on the scene?!... Ive obviously been going to the wrong places!

I would say No... to that "Super Duper Love" was played on the 'Northern Soul' scene... although it was Dave Godin who gave me my copy, many moons ago and he rated it very highly indeed - long b4 the lovely Ms Stone got hold of it.

Cool tune though!

:D

Sean

Social source share

I would say No... to that "Super Duper Love" was played on the 'Northern Soul' scene... although it was Dave Godin who gave me my copy, many moons ago and he rated it very highly indeed - long b4 the lovely Ms Stone got hold of it.

Cool tune though!

:wave:

Sean

Seem to remember Colin playing this at the Mecca as a last hour spin during 74/75

Social source share

Guest familytree

Seem to remember Colin playing this at the Mecca as a last hour spin during 74/75

Did he? how interesting... good old Colin... you guys are a mine of information, its amazing reallly. still love to know the value of the album if anyone knows? So was he credited on the Stone album... wonder who put her in that direction, surely she wouldnt have heard it??

Social source share

Guest familytree

Cool tune though!

:wave:

Sean

Sorry, im confused (easily done!) It was played on the Northern scene you say? do you mean the funkier side of the Northern scene as in the Mecca by Colin? Bless Dave Godin, he was a lovely guy.

Edited by familytree
Social source share

Guest familytree

played @ the mecca / casanellis at Wigan,ritz all dayers manchester

Ah Cassinellis too... frequented there about 3 times a week at one point! as well as all the other places you mention, I have obviously forgotten a lot of things... x ... value of the album??

Social source share

So was he credited on the Stone album... wonder who put her in that direction, surely she wouldnt have heard it??

Yeah he's credited as writer on the Joss Stone CD, there's no way they would have got away with omitting him. That Joss Stone album was all put up by the producers, Betty Wright etc. They are where all those songs came to Joss from. I saw her live in 06 & people were screaming for tracks off that album & she said "I haven't sung most of those songs in years, I don't even remember the words for any of them" in a cutesy voice & then proceeded to play stuff from her 2nd & 3rd CDs. I think the only Soul Sessions ones she sang were 2 of the singles "Fell In Love" & one other. It was pretty disappointing. Her backing singers also had a solo spot & waxed the floor with her rolleyes.gif

Social source share

You can get the single for about £3.00 - loads of copies of the album on Ebay & Gemm for about a tenner.

South Shore Market in Blackpool used to have all the Sugar Billy "Fast Track" singles for about 30p in the late seventies - happy days!!

Social source share

Guest familytree

You can get the single for about £3.00 - loads of copies of the album on Ebay & Gemm for about a tenner.

South Shore Market in Blackpool used to have all the Sugar Billy "Fast Track" singles for about 30p in the late seventies - happy days!!

A tenner??!!!! surely not..god the cover is worth a tenner on its own, is that for an original or re-release as someone mentioned earlier thats all they could find? thanks

Social source share

Guest familytree

Yeah he's credited as writer on the Joss Stone CD, there's no way they would have got away with omitting him. That Joss Stone album was all put up by the producers, Betty Wright etc. They are where all those songs came to Joss from. I saw her live in 06 & people were screaming for tracks off that album & she said "I haven't sung most of those songs in years, I don't even remember the words for any of them" in a cutesy voice & then proceeded to play stuff from her 2nd & 3rd CDs. I think the only Soul Sessions ones she sang were 2 of the singles "Fell In Love" & one other. It was pretty disappointing. Her backing singers also had a solo spot & waxed the floor with her rolleyes.gif

Thats interesting, yes I remember now that Betty Wright was involved.. shame about the concert..............Im still reeling from the Tenner valuation.. no early retirement on that one then!ha

Social source share

Guest familytree

Just Brother Frank Bryant remembers playing bass on the record, if that counts for anything.

Er Angies or Sugars??.... pardon my ignorance x

Social source share

The producer of Joss' 1st album was a big collector who I Djed with at one of the NYC Soul club dos once, nice geezer who had picked out some of his favourite tracks from his collection for her to cover.

The Billy Garner tracks on BGP are all excellent funk and produced by the legendary Detroit producer Dave Hamilton whose other more Northern soul than funk CDs are available on Kent of course.

Social source share

It has been reissued but the original isn't even that rare, there's one on ebay now for $14.99 buy it now.

Agree, never been an expensive/rare record, but a very good one, so worth purchasing for anyone who´s into the grittier side of soul and doesn´t already own a copy!

Cheers,

Mel

Social source share

Guest familytree

Agree, never been an expensive/rare record, but a very good one, so worth purchasing for anyone who´s into the grittier side of soul and doesn´t already own a copy!

Cheers,

Mel

This site comes into its own for inside info! ... so interesting... 15 dollars?... best get back in the attic! cheers x

Social source share

Guest familytree

The producer of Joss' 1st album was a big collector who I Djed with at one of the NYC Soul club dos once, nice geezer who had picked out some of his favourite tracks from his collection for her to cover.

The Billy Garner tracks on BGP are all excellent funk and produced by the legendary Detroit producer Dave Hamilton whose other more Northern soul than funk CDs are available on Kent of course.

Thanks. again, very interesting...x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert