Another Dodgy Seller?

Soulboy69

Not sure if this is the right place but it was a record sale so here goes.

Has anybody on here ever bought a record from Soul Source member "Kevin J"?

I handed him over $110 of my hard earned cash over six weeks ago for a record that he advertised for sale on here

and still have not received it. I got in touch with him just over 2 weeks ago and he responded and assured me that it was on it's way

and should be with me any day now. Guess what, still no record and he's now not responding to my e-mails.

I paid through Paypal so this has now escalated to a claim and he's still not responding.

Anybody on here had any dealings with this guy?

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kevokeh

Not sure if this is the right place but it was a record sale so here goes.

Has anybody on here ever bought a record from Soul Source member "Kevin J"?

I handed him over $110 of my hard earned cash over six weeks ago for a record that he advertised for sale on here

and still have not received it. I got in touch with him just over 2 weeks ago and he responded and assured me that it was on it's way

and should be with me any day now. Guess what, still no record and he's now not responding to my e-mails.

I paid through Paypal so this has now escalated to a claim and he's still not responding.

Anybody on here had any dealings with this guy?

it seems to be getting a regular thing,where djs and record collectors are sending for records, to other country,s and not getting their records. :rolleyes:

this is putting loyal record dealers and genuine sellers in a bad position... ohmy.gif

the only solution is to deal with sellers who are well known to yourself,and to soul source.

after falling fowl to this scam in the past, i decided to stick to uk dealers and sellers, with good reputation and you know are well appreciated on sites like soul source...

IF IN DOUBT...STAY WELL CLEAR....

KEV

Social source share

yes had some dealings with this guy and others on here regards some 45s he had for sale a while back that never arrived

but to give the guy some credit he did refund payment, am waiting on some 45s from the states, as we all know some come

within week ten days, some take 2/3 weeks or more.

Social source share

I am sorry to hear about your problems. As mentioned sometimes mail

overseas is ridiculous, so hopefully things work out.

I have had some great transactions with buyers here at SS

and I think the majority are straight shooters.

There are assclowwwns in the world, however.

Again, bummer. Sorry to hear of the probs.

Edited by vinyldisc
Social source share

Cheers for the responses and input, at least i know i'm not alone. It's just a shame that sad wankers like this exist angry.gif

Any other record dealings that i have done through this site have been perfect and i was quite surprised to be honest that this one went so sour as i assumed that if the guy is a Soul Source member, he must be o.k.

Anyway, at least he's exposed so please avoid this guy at all costs!!!!!!

Social source share

Just read that thread on page five...makes for crazy reading!! I must say you all have far more patience than me :thumbsup:

To be fair *touch wood* i've never had any problems with Amercan sellers and i'm buying off them regularly on e-bay

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Just read that thread on page five...makes for crazy reading!! I must say you all have far more patience than me :thumbsup:

To be fair *touch wood* i've never had any problems with Amercan sellers and i'm buying off them regularly on e-bay

Its also good to know the scale/ collective power of soul collectors putting pressure on the very very few would be scammers.

Naming and shaming does work, and, its a small world for a record seller/collector on the global scene once the warnings have gone out.. Pleased to know most records arrived in the end..

And also, how difficult and time consuming is it to put a 45 in a mailer, write the address and go down the Post Office ?

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

He owes me money,ive given him plenty of time to answer my pm's.

Nick,

Not of much use to you I know, but Mike is well known as a good guy. There must be a problem. I will try to contact him for you. I'd be surprised if he was purposely scamming anyone. Let's hope he's OK. He has a family with 5 kids he's adopted. In fact, send me your paypal address and I'll pay the refund for him.

Social source share

Nick,

Not of much use to you I know, but Mike is well known as a good guy. There must be a problem. I will try to contact him for you. I'd be surprised if he was purposely scamming anyone. Let's hope he's OK. He has a family with 5 kids he's adopted. In fact, send me your paypal address and I'll pay the refund for him.

I'll go halvers with ya mate if need be PM me. He's a nice guy, he'll be in trouble thats what worries me.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

while we are warning about dodgy sellers beware of Anthony on soul source. his real name is Ian Burt from Taunton. he was banned from the site previously and came back on as Anthony. I have been ripped off by him for £70 - plus a lot of records that i bought off him that were desribed as mint were in terrible condition. I was informed after my experience with him that he has done similar before and been taken through the small claims courts.

He also sold some big ticket numbers earlier in the year, apparently they were in poorer condition than described; but the person who bought them may have more to say about that. Anyway, he is back on the scene again and trying to flog records - be warned!

Social source share

Guest vintagevideos

I had a few bad experiences on ebay and one on soul-source as far as selling goes! The people purchased a record and opted for the cheaper shipping without tracking. They then claimed they never got it and was able to get paypal to make me refund them since there was no tracking information. The guy on soul-source did not pay for registered mail and when he asked for a tracking number i told him there wasn't one and shortly after(like hours) he put in a claim and was able to get his $250 back. It's happened to a lot of friends of mine too. Now i just ask overseas buyers(i'm in the u.s.) to pay for registered mail so this scam doesn't happen anymore.

P.S.

hope this doesn't give any bad people ideas! :lol:

Edited by vintagevideos
Social source share

while we are warning about dodgy sellers beware of Anthony on soul source. his real name is Ian Burt from Taunton. he was banned from the site previously and came back on as Anthony. I have been ripped off by him for £70 - plus a lot of records that i bought off him that were desribed as mint were in terrible condition. I was informed after my experience with him that he has done similar before and been taken through the small claims courts.

He also sold some big ticket numbers earlier in the year, apparently they were in poorer condition than described; but the person who bought them may have more to say about that. Anyway, he is back on the scene again and trying to flog records - be warned!

That's the same Ian Burt as here! Get him off Soul Source asap!

It's a shame crooks like him are still around...

Social source share

Having had a dodgy situation with a member on here(& im not going to spend £75 in a small cliams court just to get back £40) and prattled on about it alot I also offered the moderators an idea:

Some sites dont allow you to sell or buy until you have made so many posts. The reason for this is the member has to get involved in the site before they can be let loose with cash- Its a way of just stopping ebay sellers from listing their records or goods. Members can also get a small insight into the mentality of the member so they can make some informed judgement about the person (Yes its subjective but a start) You cannot guarantee anything on here but at least it would deter some ebay sellers who only use this site for sales & nothing else.

100 posts would be my target number.

Would like opinions on this!

Social source share

Guest smigger

Having had a dodgy situation with a member on here(& im not going to spend £75 in a small cliams court just to get back £40) and prattled on about it alot I also offered the moderators an idea:

Some sites dont allow you to sell or buy until you have made so many posts. The reason for this is the member has to get involved in the site before they can be let loose with cash- Its a way of just stopping ebay sellers from listing their records or goods. Members can also get a small insight into the mentality of the member so they can make some informed judgement about the person (Yes its subjective but a start) You cannot guarantee anything on here but at least it would deter some ebay sellers who only use this site for sales & nothing else.

100 posts would be my target number.

Would like opinions on this!

You'll only have people like me posting uninformed bollocks to make the 100 mark. Maybe not such a good idea.

Edit: only just realised that I already have :rolleyes:

Edited by smigger
Social source share

Zac Ives from Memphis here, Eric Friedl and I run Goner Records - Pete, thanks for the nice comment. I'm all for some kind of screening process for sellers - just not sure what the proper method would be...

Having scammers selling hurts everyone - buyers and sellers. It's a trust issue - it's already hard enough to deal online and not in a shop, where you can see the record you are about to purchase for yourself... if you can't trust the person you are dealing with, everything goes to pot.

But for us, if I can't sell a record in the shop, I'd prefer to do set sales than go through the process of eBaying everything. We just don't have enough people coming through the shop on a regular basis to move what we have. We've just kind of started this, but posting set sale lists on soul source seems to get it in front of more interested buyers without having to tolerate the ridiculousness of eBay.

I'd also second the issues with shipping from the US that vintage mentioned. The lack of tracking on first class international from the states is making everything more difficult. Cost goes from $7 or $8 to $20 for a single to upgrade to priority mail. Registered mail is another buck or two more than that and is a real pain (At least an extra 1/2 hour at the post office, seems like the postal works hate it as much as we do). But it's the only way to get a package signed for oversees. But there is the customs/tariffs issue w/ registered mail (or any insured shipment)... The seller is at risk by shipping anything uninsured because paypal makes it so easy to reverse payments... And sellers don't want to pay expensive customs fees - which is completely understandable. So where's the middle ground?

Social source share

I don't bother to use registered mail anymore unless it's requested. registered mail is useless coming from the US. i've only lost two packages overseas in the past 3 years and both were registered to england. one claim is pending but because uk postal service says they delivered it the us postal service won't accept my claim. They don't provide proof either. also it's not trackable online so paypal doesn't accept it either as far as i know. Trouble is it takes 3 months or more to sort it all out. I recommend anyone using registered from the US to england to pay for the return receipt. Al least you will know for sure if it was delivered or not. Anyway the buyer since moved to spain but promised to file the proper forms. so i may get to file a claim eventualy. I suspect some type of tracking on first class mail will come to be in the future with pressure from ebay and paypal. Maybe as an option on click-n-ship only which takes all the information from the transaction and puts it on the customs form. this way countries will be assured of their proper duties. priority mail is really the only secure option unless you want to pay the express fees. another options is to insure packages thru auctiva?

Social source share

• 9 months later...
This is the Sales Forum
Use the site PM (personal message) system for any trading discussion

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert