Is Motown Any Good?

Guest Bicks

I had to rebuke myself yesterday. I saw the advert on TV for the Motown 50th Annivesary cd and I must admit I groaned. My first thought was how can they churn out the same old best of CD that comes out virtually every year around Christmas time when they have such a brilliant back catalogue that hardly ever gets played. On reflection, and having looked at the playlist, I realise I was wrong, (nearly) every song on there is a winner and is on there because it is so loved by a much wider audience than you'll find on this forum. The only 'fault' with these songs is being overplayed and over familiar simply because they are so good.

It did get me thinking though, is there such a thing as a bad Motown record, I know it's a slightly subjective question but there must be at least one song that has a concensus of nastiness.

Can I start the ball rolling with a very, very obvious one "I Just Called to Say I love You" by Stevie Wonder (all the more disappointing as he's such a genius), even by eighties Motown standards this wasn't good. It would be interesting to find some 'bad' sixties tunes though.

P.S. don't anybody even consider voting for Charlene's "I've never Been to Me", it is a great record and I challenge anybody not to sing along to it in the car.

P.P.S. apologies for the rather contentious topic title but I just thought it might get people to look.

Edited by Bicks
Social source share

• Replies 97
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest vinylvixen

I had to rebuke myself yesterday. I saw the advert on TV for the Motown 50th Annivesary cd and I must admit I groaned. My first thought was how can they churn out the same old best of CD that comes out virtually every year around Christmas time when they have such a brilliant back catalogue that hardly ever gets played. On reflection, and having looked at the playlist, I realise I was wrong, (nearly) every song on there is a winner and is on there because it is so loved by a much wider audience than you'll find on this forum. The only 'fault' with these songs is being overplayed and over familiar simply because they are so good.

It did get me thinking though, is there such a thing as a bad Motown record, I know it's a slightly subjective question but there must be at least one song that has a concensus of nastiness.

Can I start the ball rolling with a very, very obvious one "I Just Called to Say I love You" by Stevie Wonder (all the more disappointing as he's such a genius), even by eighties Motown standards this wasn't good. It would be interesting to find some 'bad' sixties tunes though.

P.S. don't anybody even consider voting for Charlene's "I've never Been to Me", it is a great record and I challenge anybody not to sing along to it in the car.

P.P.S. apologies for the rather contentious topic title but I just thought it might get people to look.

Smugly patting myself on the back rolleyes.gif :

Soul Satisfaction 2

Soul Satisfaction 3

Soul Satisfaction 4

Soul Satisfaction 5

I have got Soul Satisfaction 6,7 & 8 compiled and ready to go....but we'll see what happens with my Motown releases over the next couple of years :lol:

Social source share

Yes..................Charlene, I've Never Been To Me.......what's that all about unsure.gif

QoFxx

The song was originally written from a male perspective , but was rewritten by Ron Miller for Charlene . The use of the line

" I've been to crying for unborn children " was not written about abortion. The line refers to a woman who is at a point in her life that she wished she had taken the time to have children .

There are many misconceptions about this song . The spoken bridge in the song was not about , or did it mention abortion - it was deemed too feminist and when Charlene's first album was re - released in 1977, the spoken bridge had been deleted . When the song became an unexpected hit in 1982 , it was the version WITH the spoken bridge intact that was released . It has also been widely reported that the 1982 single was a re - recording , it is not .

Malc Burton

Social source share

The song was originally written from a male perspective , but was rewritten by Ron Miller for Charlene . The use of the line

" I've been to crying for unborn children " was not written about abortion. The line refers to a woman who is at a point in her life that she wished she had taken the time to have children .

There are many misconceptions about this song . The spoken bridge in the song was not about , or did it mention abortion - it was deemed too feminist and when Charlene's first album was re - released in 1977, the spoken bridge had been deleted . When the song became an unexpected hit in 1982 , it was the version WITH the spoken bridge intact that was released . It has also been widely reported that the 1982 single was a re - recording , it is not .

Malc Burton

Its still the most rubbish motown record ever tongue.gif and I am one of the biggist supporters of female vocals and not just soul............in fact at this moment in time I am listening to Parallel Lines album.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

The Woman In Red from the same album :D In fact the whole album :P

Infact most things SW recorded after about 1975 laugh.gif

Oh and while we are being mr/mrs angry Ben, never did for me either................there are enough rats of the human male form with out singing to the rodent furry kind laugh.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Its still the most rubbish motown record ever tongue.gif and I am one of the biggist supporters of female vocals and not just soul............in fact at this moment in time I am listening to Parallel Lines album.

QoFxx

I was just answering your question , not avocating it to be a record of any merit ........

Up there with Charlene in respect of bad / dire motown records , must be Billy Preston & Syreeta's " Tonight I Sellotape My Glove To

You "

Pass the sick bucket .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I was just answering your question , not avocating it to be a record of any merit ........

Up there with Charlene in respect of bad / dire motown records , must be Billy Preston & Syreeta's " Tonight I Sellotape My Glove To

You "

Pass the sick bucket .........

Malc Burton

That sorted, I've been playing female soul all afternoon so I am going back to my Blondie moment........not soul but wow what a performer. Charlene v Debbie Harry......no brainer biggrin.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Three Times a Lady - The Commodores

This has got to be one of the worst records in the world - let alone 'bad Motown' thmbdn.gif

God, thats a bad one! come back The Zoo all is forgiven smile.gif

How about Hello is it me your looking far, I think he was still at Motown with that Shocker.

Social source share

That sorted, I've been playing female soul all afternoon so I am going back to my Blondie moment........not soul but wow what a performer. Charlene v Debbie Harry......no brainer :P

QoFxx

Just tell you when me & Ian Gillabrand went into Smack Water Jacks (Burnley Pub) in the early 80s and they were having a Blondie night.

So we try tap up two girls telling them we,re big Blondie fans, one of them says something about Debbie Harry.

What did i say who the f++k is Debbie Harry. ohmy.gif they soon f++ked us off. how was i to know laugh.gif

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Just tell you when me & Ian Gillabrand went into Smack Water Jacks (Burnley Pub) in the early 80s and they were having a Blondie night.

So we try tap out two girls telling them we,re big Blondie fans, one of them says something about Debbie Harry.

What did i say who the f++k is Debbie Harry. ohmy.gif they soon f++ked us off. how was i to know laugh.gif

You smooooothie! :P:D

You out on Saturday at The Kestral Suite?

Social source share

So we try tap out two girls telling them we,re big Blondie fans, one of them says something about Debbie Harry.

What did i say who the f++k is Debbie Harry. ohmy.gif they soon f++ked us off. how was i to know :P

:D:g:

Were you brought up in a monestary by any chance unsure.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Three Times a Lady - The Commodores

This has got to be one of the worst records in the world - let alone 'bad Motown' thmbdn.gif

Or "Three Times Wi' Bits On" as we sing in the chip shop round here.

Edited by Bicks
Social source share

Have to say I hate just about everything Stevie Wonder has ever done.

There's only 'Nothing's Too Good For My Baby' that I can just about stomach.

Anyway, as for Motown being any good?

ABSOLUTELY. thumbup.gif

But boy did they turn out some dross in later years.

I agree with you totally, and never liked Diana Ross later stuff, ugh! Upside Down? it was!!

P smile.gif

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

Yes..................Charlene, I've Never Been To Me.......what's that all about :rolleyes:

QoFxx

always thought it was titled 'ive never been to leigh'

Social source share

I remember chatting to Andy Rix a few years ago about Motown v the-rest-of-northern-soul-put-together and we agreed that Motown p*ss*s all over anyone elses output.

Good distribution does not make for a bad record, bad distribution may make a good record rare and thus valuable.

For all the rubbish releases there are about 100 good tunes for each of them :rolleyes: and the stuff in their unreleased catalogue beats most other released stuff on its own.

If Berry Gordy had been a crap businessman then Motown records would have been more collectable and playable than any other label due to their quality. If they hadn't have been hits they would all have been £1000 floor fillers.

Is Motown any good? What a stupid question!

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

I remember chatting to Andy Rix a few years ago about Motown v the-rest-of-northern-soul-put-together and we agreed that Motown p*ss*s all over anyone elses output.

Good distribution does not make for a bad record, bad distribution may make a good record rare and thus valuable.

For all the rubbish releases there are about 100 good tunes for each of them :wicked: and the stuff in their unreleased catalogue beats most other released stuff on its own.

If Berry Gordy had been a crap businessman then Motown records would have been more collectable and playable than any other label due to their quality. If they hadn't have been hits they would all have been £1000 floor fillers.

Is Motown any good? What a stupid question!

Cheers

Paul

Whoooaaagghhh there boy, calm down. Did you actually read any of the original post or did the red mist descend on reading the Topic Title?

Humour bypass anybody?????? :Dbiggrin.gif:rolleyes:

Edited by Bicks
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Whoooaaagghhh there boy, calm down. Did you actually read any of the original post or did the red mist descend on reading the Topic Title?

Humour bypass anybody?????? :Dbiggrin.gif:rolleyes:

York Ringroad - that's a good bypass - is it built yet :wicked: Bicks, don't rely on the opinions of others - you are the only one who can decide whether Motown is any good for you or bad for you. Ask for the Complete Motown Singles series Vols 1-10 for Christmas....you know you want them :lol:

BTW - I took you up on your challenge "don't anybody even consider voting for Charlene's "I've never Been to Me", it is a great record and I challenge anybody not to sing along to it in the car" - I ripped the Harry Moss out of the dashboard........and had to pull over to compose myself. What a load of cack lol

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Love motown,indeed l collect british stuff.....time and a place though,agree with some other people,HATE stevie wonder except CASTLES IN THE SAND.Heres a funny that kinda crosses over from the soul scene to the wider audience.Once went to a local do where a couple of mates were djing (in a pub) nothing serious,the landlord had billed it northern/motown evening,the place was packed with handbaggers....mainly there for the motown tunes,nowt wrong with that,but heres the funny,when my pal started playing the unissued stuff.....reconsider ect ect ...the punters kept asking for him to play some motown...when he said it was motown...they chorused...PLAY STUFF WE KNOW,priceless lol :wicked: ...they loved motown ,but only motown they knew :rolleyes: ya gotta smile...tezza

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

York Ringroad - that's a good bypass - is it built yet wink.gif Bicks, don't rely on the opinions of others - you are the only one who can decide whether Motown is any good for you or bad for you. Ask for the Complete Motown Singles series Vols 1-10 for Christmas....you know you want them :rolleyes:

BTW - I took you up on your challenge "don't anybody even consider voting for Charlene's "I've never Been to Me", it is a great record and I challenge anybody not to sing along to it in the car" - I ripped the Harry Moss out of the dashboard........and had to pull over to compose myself. What a load of cack lol

Don't know Harry Moss, what label was he on? Is it on Refosoul?

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Don't know Harry Moss, what label was he on? Is it on Refosoul?

laugh.gif:rolleyes::thumbsup: Priceless.....for those of a certain generation, Harry Moss was the only in-car entertainment system available if you were on a tight budget....the cassette chewing monster from Woolies. You don't see the streamers of brown tape hanging from trees anymore where people used to lob them out of the window in desperation....and as my car is from 1970, it has a matching Harry Moss. So I listened to Charlene and both me and Harry were of the same opinion :(laugh.gif

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

ofcourse motown is good...im sure every music lover in the world has at least one motown track they like, soulie or not !...

but as with every label, they released their share of shit !...actually could start another thread,anyone know of a label that didnt release 'some' shit tunes ?

as for stevie aswell as 'nothings too good' what about 'asking for trouble' quality northern imo

Social source share

ofcourse motown is good...im sure every music lover in the world has at least one motown track they like, soulie or not !...

but as with every label, they released their share of shit !...actually could start another thread,anyone know of a label that didnt release 'some' shit tunes ?

as for stevie aswell as 'nothings too good' what about 'asking for trouble' quality northern imo

Stevie...what about. "every time i see you i go wild", have you heard his version of "Respect" its wonderful :thumbsup: ....Motown is great thumbup.gif Bruce Willis etc not so good :g:

Westy (motown DJ and collector)

Social source share

Stevie...what about. "every time i see you i go wild", have you heard his version of "Respect" its wonderful :thumbsup: ....Motown is great thumbup.gif Bruce Willis etc not so good :g:

Westy (motown DJ and collector)

Stevie Wonder has made more great recordings than any of us have had hot dinners and his influence on modern music has been phenomenal.

Kev :lol:

Social source share

Well I for one love "Lois" by Little Stevie Wonder. I also love "Stay Gold" the theme from the 80s film "The Outsiders".

I also like "Harmonica Man" by Stevie Wonder and "Contract on Love" (quite like Martha and the Vandellas version of "Contract on Love" too).

Suz

x

Social source share

Guest familytree

Stevie Wonder has made more great recordings than any of us have had hot dinners and his influence on modern music has been phenomenal.

Kev :thumbsup:

Was about to defend the great man myself but you beat me to it... was quite shocked at the comments but each to their own i guess.... .................. and what about 'AS' (aka 'always') for a tune?... brilliant! 'if you really love me' (is it called that?!) LOVEDTHE BOY LOVE THE MAN! ... And I cannot imagine life without Tamla Motown.

Social source share

Was about to defend the great man myself but you beat me to it... was quite shocked at the comments but each to their own i guess.... .................. and what about 'AS' (aka 'always') for a tune?... brilliant! 'if you really love me' (is it called that?!) LOVEDTHE BOY LOVE THE MAN! ... And I cannot imagine life without Tamla Motown.

Don't forget Another Star.

Would still put a lot of today's music to shame.

Kev

Social source share

I have to say people this is a bit of a shock. I never expected (or wanted) a Stevie Wonder backlash but he appears to have split the nation. I have to say I'm in the 'LOVE' camp right up to and including Hotter Than July, as for the hot dinners thing I must admit to having had more hot dinners than Little Stevie has made great records, I am however quite fat.

Just remembered another one that I always have to turn off when I hear it "Goodnight Irene" by The Originals. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert