Anyone Feel Like Fixing A Skip/jump For Me?

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

I bought an NOS Valentines-Breakaway some time ago. It played great at first and then one day it just started jumping in 2 different places. The records looks gorgeous and I can only see one tiny tiny scratch (near affected area) that could cause it to skip. I've tried digging into the little guy with the stylus directly over the skip as well as throwing it on my nitty gritty tons of times but it won't go away. Real shame...

Anyone good with an exacto/needle ?

in the states would be rad...

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveSnow

I think this is a flaw in the pressing isn't it?

My copy skips on some decks but not on others....so needless to say, I don't play it out!

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

not sure...

It played fine the first several times at home. It was played on 3-4 different decks around the house. Then one day while getting my stuff together for a weekend trip I played it and it skipped in 2 different spots. I just figured weird shit happens to styrene sometimes....

I think this is a flaw in the pressing isn't it?

My copy skips on some decks but not on others....so needless to say, I don't play it out!

Social source share

not sure...

It played fine the first several times at home. It was played on 3-4 different decks around the house. Then one day while getting my stuff together for a weekend trip I played it and it skipped in 2 different spots. I just figured weird shit happens to styrene sometimes....

I'm good at fixing skips. the problem with fixing skips in styrene is that it tends to burn out the record if it's hard to fix. Like to fix it I have to play the record back and forth over the spot, sometimes with a fisher price turntable (one of my many secret techniques...). but if you do it on a styrene record too much it causes styrene burn.

i thought my copy of breakaway was vinyl though, maybe because it's a promo.

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

mine is a promo as well. I've tried scratching out the groove on a numark portable with a buncha change on top of it, but no luck.

I'm not about to take a needle/blade to it because I never have and I'm not sure if I even have a crappy record with a skip to practice on.

I'm good at fixing skips. the problem with fixing skips in styrene is that it tends to burn out the record if it's hard to fix. Like to fix it I have to play the record back and forth over the spot, sometimes with a fisher price turntable (one of my many secret techniques...). but if you do it on a styrene record too much it causes styrene burn.

i thought my copy of breakaway was vinyl though, maybe because it's a promo.

Edited by DAWEEDSMOKA
Social source share

Guest inspirations001

just a thought, but have you tried wood glue. was mentioned on here before, bit tricky but worth a shout.

what about wieght in needle, or just after skip, hold record and spin it backwards, works for me sometimes.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Needs a huge magnifying glass a razor sharp and thin whip steeled scalpel, then someone who has never....and i mean never taken one drink of alcohol or even been in the company of any hallucinogenic snorting fiend....... they will need a steady hand..........Always best to give them a glass of horlicks and the book "Heidi" to read............

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Needs a huge magnifying glass a razor sharp and thin whip steeled scalpel, then someone who has never....and i mean never taken one drink of alcohol or even been in the company of any hallucinogenic snorting fiend....... they will need a steady hand..........Always best to give them a glass of horlicks and the book "Heidi" to read............

Dave Rimmer is your man then biggrin.gif

Steve J

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

So can anyone else confirm that this is a known problem with the promo copy of breakaway?

The first skip on mine comes out during the opening vocals. It is at the very last "papara!" right before the horns seal the deal and the verse starts.

Blimey ohmy.gif after reading all this I think I'll stick to my (legit) 70s vinyl re-issue :lol: instead of searching for a real one. Don't wanna be paying 40+ quid for a hop skip and jumper no.gif .

Didn't the first copies of Alfie Davidson (45) also have the skipping prob" ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I recently got an issue which stuck half way through. I put some bluetack on the cartridge head and replayed it. It played through OK and when I removed the bluetack and reverted to the normally weighted cartridge it played OK and has done ever since.

Seems like there was a bit of a sticking point in the grooves that this method sorted out!

Julian

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

Sounds similar to my failed approach. Except what is bluetack?

I recently got an issue which stuck half way through. I put some bluetack on the cartridge head and replayed it. It played through OK and when I removed the bluetack and reverted to the normally weighted cartridge it played OK and has done ever since.

Seems like there was a bit of a sticking point in the grooves that this method sorted out!

Julian

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

oh I get it. Yea I've put all kinds of coins and weights on the cart....

It's like plasticine - it's used for sticking things to walls etc. Doesn't mark or leave a residue and can be re-used.

Bluetack is a trade name.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I bought an NOS Valentines-Breakaway some time ago. It played great at first and then one day it just started jumping in 2 different places. The records looks gorgeous and I can only see one tiny tiny scratch (near affected area) that could cause it to skip. I've tried digging into the little guy with the stylus directly over the skip as well as throwing it on my nitty gritty tons of times but it won't go away. Real shame...

Anyone good with an exacto/needle ?

in the states would be rad...

By the way which copy, there are 5 versions of the Valentines (, sound stage 7 2663 dj, sound stage 7 2663, sound plus 2107 and seventy 7 2138..........plus the Aussie Monument version.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

By the way which copy, there are 5 versions of the Valentines (, sound stage 7 2663 dj, sound stage 7 2663, sound plus 2107 and seventy 7 2138..........plus the Aussie Monument version.

Yeah..the Aussie version is on a nice piece of vinyl. Hardy press that has no flaws.

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

SS 7 2663 dj

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

I guess I'll give it a shot.

Wet your thumb with spit and rub the jump til your finger gets warm, rub the same way the needle would go.

Then play.

If it doesn't work first time, do it again for a couple of times.

Makes sure you do it til your thumb gets quite warm.

Works for my little jumps... :)

Good luck.

Social source share

Wet your thumb with spit and rub the jump til your finger gets warm, rub the same way the needle would go.

Then play.

If it doesn't work first time, do it again for a couple of times.

Makes sure you do it til your thumb gets quite warm.

Works for my little jumps... :)

Good luck.

That method won't fix the jump, but your finger will blister up so bad that it'll take your mind off the jump for a day or two :)

Alternatively, if all else fails...try wetting a tiny piece of paper, roll it into a tiny hard sausage shape and wedge it between the stylus and the head, to prevent the bounce in the stylus....place onto record near jump (no added weight cus this can easily cut into styrene) and then just touch slighty as it approaches jump.

You have effectively just turned your stylus into a minute cuting tool so be very careful and very patient if trying this.

Don't try backturning with this method either cus your jump will deffo be replaced with a tidy 'hiss'...

Social source share

I'm on the edge of my seat here, please, please, please post and let us know if any of these high tech methods have actually worked.

I particurlarly like the spitting on your thumb one as I've been doing that for years but it's generally being been for clearing dust etc. rather than a pressing flaw.

Social source share

I'm on the edge of my seat here, please, please, please post and let us know if any of these high tech methods have actually worked.

I particurlarly like the spitting on your thumb one as I've been doing that for years but it's generally being been for clearing dust etc. rather than a pressing flaw.

It worked on my copy of Idle Few, I'd picked it up for 20 dollars and when it came, it jumped at the start...

made the other half do it as he's got stronger thumbs... :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert