Cover Up "cornered"

harpo1

Did anyone else , other than myself and Micky Cruise hear Alexis Corner play a new release on his Sunday evening show in 1980 by the Lamont Cranston Band, "Taking a chance".....this was at the time the Williams and Watson c/u as "Nobody ever said it was gonna be easy" and massive at Wigan and the Clifton Hall.

Nearly fell of me chair, ran downstairs at me Mom n Dads to ring Planty and Mick Holdsworth.

It came up in conversation with Mick'y at mine after a nighter, i had never met anyone else who had heard it, the conversation then got wierder as we recounted being at various nights over the years and having these meets without realising 'til later who was who! but we best not go there.

Anyway to cap it off, i can't tell you why or how i heard Alexis play it, never listened to the radio in those days , and certainly not a blues based show...wierd eh!!

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Did anyone else , other than myself and Micky Cruise hear Alexis Corner play a new release on his Sunday evening show in 1980 by the Lamont Cranston Band, "Taking a chance".....this was at the time the Williams and Watson c/u as "Nobody ever said it was gonna be easy" and massive at Wigan and the Clifton Hall.

Nearly fell of me chair, ran downstairs at me Mom n Dads to ring Planty and Mick Holdsworth.

It came up in conversation with Mick'y at mine after a nighter, i had never met anyone else who had heard it, the conversation then got wierder as we recounted being at various nights over the years and having these meets without realising 'til later who was who! but we best not go there.

Anyway to cap it off, i can't tell you why or how i heard Alexis play it, never listened to the radio in those days , and certainly not a blues based show...wierd eh!!

yes i heard the very same show and fairly sure it was still a c/up,but i did listen to his show frequently i think he said on the show it was their 2nd release and an album to follow.i had a copy for awhile but soon got tired of it ,when tim ashibende saw it he told me he wrote to the record lable expressing an interest in it and they sent him out 20 odd coies f.o.c which was nice. was it pat who played it 1st? cant remember

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

We heard it in the car on the way to rotherham clifton hall, think that was on tommy vance rock show, we were gobsmacked :D

Remember this so well as Steve Campell got a look at Arthur Fenns copy at Wigan ,noted the Address and as it looked fairly modern(Waterhouse/powerhouse or sommat) he wrote to the label and recieved a free copy and a letter on company headed paper asking how the hell he,d heard of it as it had sold about 3 copies and was never released in the U.K.

Tony Colebu

Social source share

can't recall the track mentioned but used to listen to the alexis corner show on a regular basis it used to be on after the top twenty on a sunday at 7 o clock I rember him playing a little bit of something by little richard the first time I listened to the show and nearly fell off the couch also in a previuos life I used to like ccs the group he was in in the 70s

best kim

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert