Manship Rare Soul Price Guide 5

Owners of the New Guide 5 please note 3 revised info adjustments and a corrrection to typo error.

3 PRICE GUIDE 5 CORRECTIONS TO TYPOS AND CHANGES are as follows

GWEN & RAY

BUILD YOUR HOUSE ON A STRONG FOUNDATION IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD BEE BEE 223 850.00 NOR

counterfeited twice replicating the original's label colour and label design. Note both counterfeits used exactly the same pressing-plate each time, but totally pressing in different vinyl styles.

207a counterfeit 3 turn deadwax is 11.50mm wide, the scratched in matrix is quite large (approx. 3.80mm high) and reads BEE 223 A. paper quality is smooth matt finish

VINYL STYLE Press # 1 207.1. is heavy strong vinyl with a flat edge 1.02mm thick and reasonably flexible.

Press #2 207.2 Thinner vinyl approx 0.85mm thick running out to a thicker pronounced beveled edge 1.20mm thick. This thin vinyl is brittle and will break is flexed.

ORIGINAL thinner vinyl. Paper style is a grainy matt finish with sharp defined text. Original scratched in matrix reads BB223A

KING LOUIE with the COURT JESTERS

I'VE BEEN DOWN SO LONG BROADWAY UP TIGHT MOCKINGBIRD1007 75.00 DS/F

LITTLE RICHARD

I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS IT HURRY SUNDOWN OKEH 7271 DJ 40.00 NOR

300 counterfeit promo is vinyl copy, using the artwork from the original styrene promo release design..scratched in matrix reads ZSP 116993 1E sitting inside a 11.00mm wide deadwax

.300 The original promo is styrene scratched in matrix inside 1 & 2 turn of the 3 turn 11.60mm wide deadwax reads Z SP - 116993 1E note directly opposite the Z holding the Z @ the 6 o'clock position there are two tiny colon dimples in the deadwax @ the 12:15 postion.

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I AGREE WITH WHAT CHALKYY SAYS ,THE QUIDE IS SIMPLY ESSENTIAL ,IM THROUGH IT TWICE ALREADY AND STARTING TO REGOGNISE THE SUBTLE CHANGES IN PRICE ETC,THIS IS THE MARKET LEADER FOR THE SEROIUS SOUL COLLECTOR!

BAZ A :lol:

But why should John Manship or anyone else decide what price a record should sell for, it's between the seller and the person who buys it? Its a private transaction. I have dealt with people who will not sell a record unless it meets the guide price! I think a lot of those records in the guide would never sell at those prices on the market, only the in-demand stuff.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

But why should John Manship or anyone else decide what price a record should sell for, it's between the seller and the person who buys it? Its a private transaction. I have dealt with people who will not sell a record unless it meets the guide price! I think a lot of those records in the guide would never sell at those prices on the market, only the in-demand stuff.

Guide is the word.Your'e quite right tho',its between the buyer and seller.

We have price guides for cars,antiques etc..why not records?

When you're selling, you can't help but look up the value.If you're happy to pay the price,thats all that matters.

Social source share

I TOTALY AGREE ITS JUST A QUIDE -A REFERNCE POINT FOR MANY COLLECTORS IN MANY RESPECTS TO AUTHENTICATE WHAT THERE ARE SITTING ON ,OFCOURSE THE MARKET DICTATES PRICE ,ALWAYS HAS ,YOU COULD PICK THE BONES OUT OF IT ALL DAY AND SAY THIS WENT FOR THIS OR THAT BUT THE MAIN POINT BEING ITS A VERY COMPREHENSIVE PRICE QUIDE WHICH AUTHENTICATS TUUNE AFTER TUNE ,THE MARKET AS USUAL DICTATES THE REAL PRICE BASED ON SO MANY OTHER FACTORS,NAMELY SUPPLY-DEMAND-RARITY AND IN SOME RESPECTS FLAVOUR OF THE MONTH LOL.

BAZ A :)

Social source share

Don't think John has ever said that the prices are gospel has he, simply what he has sold them for? John himself has said it is nothing more than a guide.

Social source share

Don't think John has ever said that the prices are gospel has he, simply what he has sold them for? John himself has said it is nothing more than a guide.

Thats true Chalky, its other people who take it as gospel that annoying IMO ( especially American sellers who have a start bid close to the book value)

The reality for us small fish is very different

Edited by Steve L
Social source share

Thats true Chalky, its other people who take it as gospel that annoying IMO ( especially American sellers who have a start bid close to the book value)

The reality for us small fish is very different

I usually use it as a BUYING tool, not selling.

As most of you know, my auctions start at $6.75, the price paid is up to you, simple as that. Local dynamics have a LOT to do with implied value (example, UK prices will always be higher due to demand, Los Angeles will usually be less), a no- brainer.

John's book has helped bring records out of the woodwork, and has been useful (for me anyway) to help negotiate with other local dealers to buy their SOUL 45s. It has worked more to my benefit in these situations than not.

I can't wait for it to arrive.

John, you do a fine job. I hope it does well. :D

Edited by MikeVague
Social source share

I usually use it as a BUYING tool, not selling.

As most of you know, my auctions start at $6.75, the price paid is up to you, simple as that. Local dynamics have a LOT to do with implied value (example, UK prices will always be higher due to demand, Los Angeles will usually be less), a no- brainer.

John's book has helped bring records out of the woodwork, and has been useful (for me anyway) to help negotiate with other local dealers to buy their SOUL 45s. It has worked more to my benefit in these situations than not.

I can't wait for it to arrive.

John, you do a fine job. I hope it does well. :D

Mike, all you gotta do is have no reserves your next auction and I'll be ready to set all the prices!

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Matt Male

Owners of the New Guide 5 please note 3 revised info adjustments and a corrrection to typo error.

3 PRICE GUIDE 5 CORRECTIONS TO TYPOS AND CHANGES are as follows

KING LOUIE with the COURT JESTERS

I'VE BEEN DOWN SO LONG BROADWAY UP TIGHT MOCKINGBIRD1007 75.00 DS/F

A friend of mine bought this at the weekend, blind, for £70. Gets home and the price guide says £3000 :D

I thought at the time it must be a typo. Thanks for this John, :thumbsup:

Social source share

The problem with us Brits is we still think were living in 1975 when the yanks had not a clue about our scene and thats why we picked up their 5cent records that were worth 20 times it to us at the time. Because our scene is now global it was inevitable that record prices were going to be affected from the source (USA) and that dampens our spirits that we cant get one over our cousins from across the sea.

But you can still find some bargains if you are prepared to look and go for unusual titles rather than the classics which command usually a consistent price (due to the guides).

The only problems about our cousins is they think everything is Northern soul if they put it on the bay and even quote ("This isnt even in John manships price guide")

Answer - yes your right because its actually not soul its a bloody Pop record or C&W or even freakbeat!

If nothing else its bllody good fun seeing if the latest record you just bought blind is actually in the guide - Pleasanly smiling when it apparantly is worth £50 when you paid $9.99 for it or even more pleasantly surprised when its not in the guide cos the speculation of what its worth gets even more tingling in the Neurons!

Oh one last thing that makes me smile!

When I get a record and John has it listed as deep soul (DS) on both sides and you play the b-side and its uptempo funky or something like that it makes you think that even John can get it wrong sometimes and you have quite a few in there John that are wrongly classified! But thats the fun of it! :thumbsup:

Regards Steve

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Guest covmart

Thanks for the updates John, very helpful.

I'm a record collector and not part of the scene - there really isn't a scene to be had here in Georgia.

As has been said, its a guide. I have to believe that its helpful to most people with all the label, matrix, etc. info as well as price. I know there are many, many, people who have a ton of information in their heads or perhaps written down even, but is there anyone, John included, who has ALL this info without some kind of reference material. I doubt it. Seems to me everyone benefits.

I've sold records for more than the prices quoted. I've sold plenty for less also. I've also contributed several things to the guide that people would not be aware of without the book i.e. unknown records. For me its much more than a price guide; its a compendium of great soul records, most of which I'd be clueless about their very existence without the book.

Social source share

Bought mine from the man himself at the Blackpool tower Weekender.Asked him for a bag for it and he looked at me as if i'd asked for keys to his warehouse.But the book is simply magnificent,an encyclopedia, essential for record buyers,can't see it being surpassed anytime soon

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert