Dj Playlists

Guest Leigh J

• Replies 105
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I would like to see more DJ playlists on SS , Its good to see who is playing what and where .

we always try and post our playlists and encourage our guest DJ's to do the same....... smile.gif

Tracey n Andy

promotors of THE 'BRIT' 'in Nottingham

Social source share

Personally, I love a good playlist and we always provide playlists for DDA. As I do for any other venue I DJ at.

Although a lot on here are firmly rooted in the other camp unfortunately. Which is totally fine.

I did suggest having a section dedicated entirely to playlists a while ago (to save trawling through lookback after lookback searching for them).

Social source share

Personally, I love a good playlist and we always provide playlists for DDA. As I do for any other venue I DJ at.

Although a lot on here are firmly rooted in the other camp unfortunately. Which is totally fine.

I did suggest having a section dedicated entirely to playlists a while ago (to save trawling through lookback after lookback searching for them).

Good idea joan, think that would work myself, to me playlists give people who are thinking of travelling to a venue for the first time give a good insight into what style of music there likely to hear :D

Social source share

Good idea joan, think that would work myself, to me playlists give people who are thinking of travelling to a venue for the first time give a good insight into what style of music there likely to hear :D

It also prevents disappointment on arrival when the advertised night doesn't produce what it claims to. :D

Social source share

I think some people are just too scared to put playlists up, Apart from myself and The Attic lads you dont get many from the Notts area

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

my opinion....no playlists,if you want to know whats being played at a venue....err GO to the venue.Too many use other peoples playlists to find stuff for them to play without going out and about.Mind you have sen a few playlists that have made up my mind for me to steer well clear of certain venues :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

another thought...have seen playlists put up where the fella has played boots on the night but posted the real label.....and what about the ego people, title artist label and wether it's a demo or not what difference does that make?.....EGO

Social source share

another thought...have seen playlists put up where the fella has played boots on the night but posted the real label.....and what about the ego people, title artist label and wether it's a demo or not what difference does that make?.....EGO

And put 'request' as if they didn't really wanna play it, which begs the question why is it in the box?

Social source share

It also prevents disappointment on arrival when the advertised night doesn't produce what it claims to. :huh:

Too right Dave :lol:

Spent far too many nights lately that weren't billed clearly and had an entire evening of boring disapointment.

Some with top DJ line ups but the music policy wasn't as expected.

Weekends are precious, once you've travelled a good distance & paid to get in, only to hear a night not of your choice is a real bummer..

Playlists provide a insight into the music policy of the venue so plans can be made for the weekends ahead.

Makes for a real happy time all round..

PLAYLISTS PLEASE !!!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

And put 'request' as if they didn't really wanna play it, which begs the question why is it in the box?

yeh especially if it's MEL TORMME :huh:

Social source share

whos that then terry?, was it at burnley :huh: i bet if your burnley dj buddies put up playlists

with title artists demo or issue, you would bigger up there EGOS even more :lol:

nothing wrong in it imo just shows they are being honest and not playing boots/carvers etc

russ

Social source share

another thought...have seen playlists put up where the fella has played boots on the night but posted the real label.....and what about the ego people, title artist label and wether it's a demo or not what difference does that make?.....ego?

c'mon Terry,you fecking love it :lol: .

I tend to put info on me part playlists,just leave out matrix numbers :huh: .

Part playlists,cos i agree partially.If you want more,get along to whichever venue.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

whos that then terry?, was it at burnley :unsure: i bet if your burnley dj buddies put up playlists

with title artists demo or issue, you would bigger up there EGOS even more :)

nothing wrong in it imo just shows they are being honest and not playing boots/carvers etc

russ

ha ha russ :g: ...that's the point with that lot ..not an ego amongst em.....just quality tunes,theres many a tune that has been played at this and other n/west venues that l then hear played by other dj's at other venues ....who have never set foot in any of the places mentioned,they just look at play lists,say to themselves "Oh they're playing that,there are they, l'll get a copy of that to play out" and usually wether they like it or not.

As for showing us how honest they're being......finding your own tunes and having faith in em is a lot more honest...rather than buying something just to play out,FROM SOMEONE ELSES SET.

Lastly mate l don't big up anyones EGO.as you well know.....do big up quality sets of music though...atb tezza :g::thumbup:

Social source share

ha ha russ :) ...that's the point with that lot ..not an ego amongst em.....just quality tunes,theres many a tune that has been played at this and other n/west venues that l then hear played by other dj's at other venues ....who have never set foot in any of the places mentioned,they just look at play lists,say to themselves "Oh they're playing that,there are they, l'll get a copy of that to play out" and usually wether they like it or not.

As for showing us how honest they're being......finding your own tunes and having faith in em is a lot more honest...rather than buying something just to play out,FROM SOMEONE ELSES SET.

Lastly mate l don't big up anyones EGO.as you well know.....do big up quality sets of music though...atb tezza :unsure::g:

Thing is though, unless you are Butch or the like, chances are the records you are playing are not your discoveries anyway. So what's wrong with other people playing them?

I know it's a bit of a pisser when you play something only to have someone else play it. Believe it or not, it has even happened to me on occaision.

But so what?

Since when has it become about us?

As for finding your own tunes and having faith in them. Yeah I'm all for that.

But even you must agree Terry, that doesn't happen very much these days. Not even at Burnley.

Social source share

Great Idea Joan, only reason I look on this section and to be honest its the reason you would go somewhere that you weren,t familiar with if playlists were appealing

Kev

Social source share

my opinion....no playlists,if you want to know whats being played at a venue....err GO to the venue.

Speaking purely as a punter I would agree with that....

Unless Every DJ from the said night lists every play for the whole evening then there is always a danger that just having one jocks playlist to work from 'could' give a false impression of what that night is 'mainly' about - which can work BOTH ways depending on why you went to that night in the first place - ie across the board or underplayed etc, etc.

The resposibility IMHO should be down to the promoter to clearly state on the flyer/advert the type of night and genre/s to be played - and book DJ's to suit.

Edited by Teapot
Social source share

Great Idea Joan, only reason I look on this section and to be honest its the reason you would go somewhere that you weren,t familiar with if playlists were appealing

Kev

have to agree with Kev; great idea Joan, over to Mike :lol:

We list as many playlists as we can for the Coppertops Soulnites in Worcester, Guests and residents alike. And then at last months Soulful Sessions a number of punters questioned why didn't we list from that night too, so next year we will.

Social source share

As a record fanatic, which I still believe, is covered by the remit of this site, I'm genuinely intrigued when people list a record played and then put (demo) at the end of it, are they different "takes" to the "issues"?

Des Parker

So whats wrong with being correct about a playlist? :lol: .If someone put up a shit rare record as an issue instead of demo(or vice versa),he'd be pulled up on it faster than you could say Soul Police. :D

Taken to extremes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why bother putting labels up at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,in fact why not play boots. no.gif

I'm more intrigued when there's no info on playlists...Kev.

Social source share

Each to their own and there's no right or wrong on this, I love records, but I'm more into the music than the bits of plastic it's on, whether a record is on a "demo" or "issue" to me is a load of old tosh, I'm more interested in seeing something new, interesting, fresh etc etc. I've no problem with anyone into that classic oldies thing, it ain't wrong, it's just not my thing. To be fair, Kev, the playlists from the Attic would be interesting enough, without the label information!!!

Des Parker

Edited by SOUL.INC
Social source share

Each to their own and there's no right or wrong on this, I love records, but I'm more into the music than the bits of plastic it's on, whether a record is on a "demo" or "issue" to me is a load of old tosh, I'm more interested in seeing something new, interesting, fresh etc etc. I've no problem with anyone into that classic oldies thing, it ain't wrong, it's just not my thing. To be fair, Kev, the playlists from the Attic would be interesting enough, without the label information!!!

Des Parker

Fair enough Des.That's what this site all about,opinions.Cheers,,Kev. :lol: .

Social source share

I think some people are just too scared to put playlists up, Apart from myself and The Attic lads you dont get many from the Notts area

Yeah I have wondered why that is, you hardly ever see any playlists from Nostalgia scene events in the East Mids.

Social source share

Personally I like looking at playlists from venues, always find it interesting to see what is being played where. If I have done any DJ spots over the weekend I'll always post up my play list in the lookback thread.......really don't understand why some people don't. The 'people will copy my spins' argument being put forward by some doesn't bother me at all, if other DJs start to play some of the records posted in my playlists then great....I'll get to hear some of the records I really love being played out and get to dance to them myself :lol: . Of course if that does happen then I might decide to remove said record from my own sets to keep them fresh.....no problem there's thousands of other records to choose from as a replacement spin :D . I played at J20 in Lutterworth on Saturday and my playlist is posted in that lookback thread...copied it below for anyone that's interested:

Soul City - Cold Hearted Blues - Good Time

Jimmy Castor - It's Ok - Jet Set

Clarence Reid - I'm Your Yes Man - Wand

Billy Gee - The Name Of The Bag - Joye

Carl Holmes - Soul Dance No 3 - Blackjack

Guitar Slim - That's What It's All About - BoRo

Bobby Bland - 36 22 36 - Duke

Ernie Washington - Lonesome Shack - Chattahoochee

Edwin Starr - I Just Wanted To Cry - Tamla Motown

Sandra Stephens - Have You Been Lonely - C/Up

Autographs - I Can Do It - Okeh

Kittens - Ain't No More Room - Chess

Mae Young - Let's Give Our Love A Try - Big Mack

Free & Easy - Peace and Love - Carol G

Edward Hamilton - Baby Don't You Weep - Mary Jane

Marva Lee - If You Can't Be True - Atco

Rosco & Barbara - Could This Be Love - Old Town

Cody Black - Too Many Irons In The Fire - D Town

Loretta Williams - Baby Cakes - Jotis

Vondors - Look In The Mirror - Holiday

Little Archie - All I Have To Do - Dial

Jimmy Lomax - Come On Home - Cab

Jessie Mae - Don't Freeze On Me - Dra

Harvey Averne Dozen - Never Learned To Dance - Uptite

Startones - Lovin You Baby - Billie Fran

Tyn Tymes - Baby I Love You - Music Box

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Thing is though, unless you are Butch or the like, chances are the records you are playing are not your discoveries anyway. So what's wrong with other people playing them?

I know it's a bit of a pisser when you play something only to have someone else play it. Believe it or not, it has even happened to me on occaision.

But so what?

But even you must agree Terry, that doesn't happen very much these days. Not even at Burnley.

Well, for what it's worth, here's a smattering of what I can remember playing @ Stafford on Saturday night...and in no particular order:

Patti & Emblems - Gonna Love you a Long Long Time

Danny Woods - You had me fooled

Lloyd Price - Oh Lady Luck

Cookie Jackson - Do you still love me

Little Joe Hinton - Let's start a romance

Minnie Jones - Shadow of a memory

Brothers Guiding Light - Getting Together

O C Smith - I'm glad I fell in love with you

Choice of Colour - Your Love

Stoppers - Come Back Baby

Themes - Bent out of Shape

Spiedels - Dream Girl

Fred Hughes - Don't let me down

Clydie King - My Love Grows Deeper

Barbara Long - We called it love

September Jones - No more love

Shirley Lawson - One more chance

Betty Lloyd - Catching on

Drifters - Chains of love

4 Tops - I'll turn to stone

Dells - Make Sure

I'm sure there were more but I can't remember....it's all so long ago :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

But so what?

of course you're right joan (mostly,own tunes ect lol).thing is i've been at a venue in your area shall we say :lol: heard some great unknown.underplayed stuff......then low and behold 6 months later dj's who have never attended the said venues are all of a sudden playing the very same tunes....it smacks of just buying em to play wheres the passion in that......liberation street runners being a prime example. atb tezza

Social source share

I stopped posting my playlists up a year or so ago cos theres some on here who just love to have a dig or pick you apart when all i do is play what i feel is right for that time and place :)

Social source share

I stopped posting my playlists up a year or so ago cos theres some on here who just love to have a dig or pick you apart when all i do is play what i feel is right for that time and place :D

There are many points of view on this, I usually post a play list if asked.

I don't worry about anyone thinking I am playing boots as everyone who knows me know that I don't, I don't worry about people knicking stuff from my set cos no one else would play half the stuff I play :) and the times people have asked me about stuff I have played I am more than pleased to share it with them and gives me some sort of pride.

I was very sad last saturday night though when I had a sixties girlie pop night at home and a little worse for vodka posted the play list on here :)

I love reading other peoples play lists cos to me it's all part of the education but not to copy what other people are playing. My favourite way of finding stuff is spending hours trolling ebay and sales list etc listening to clips of stuff that I don't know and to me if you aren't prepared to do this you shouldn't be DJing.

In answer to Terry's point that people should just get along and find out what is being played, while agree that not enough people support musically great venues I also feel that there are so many venues bigged up and when you travel 50 - 100 miles and get there you find that the DJs are playing too many oldies or even worse boots. I have nothing against the odd oldies night now and again but I don't want to travel to what was bigged up as "up front" only to find the DJ playing same old.

There are a number of first rate DJs that guest all over the country that you just know are going to hit the spot, these DJs have no need to post play lists IMHO you know they are going to deliver.

I think you can tell a lot about a venue by previous guest DJs and playlists.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

5 pence worth:

I like playlists. There are so many nights that it helps to have a flavour to discern. I'm interested in this scene of ours, I'm interested in what people are playing. There are people out there I respect who I haven't met because of their playlists. . . . . . . . . . . . .and if some of us make a claim to play "underplayed" it's useful to know who, what, where.

I'm guilty in the past of posting "demo" on my playlist. I'm undecided. I appreciate it can look a bit elitist and egotistical, I stopped because I didn't want to appear as such. But, I love my records and am proud of them. The scene I know and have taken so much pleasure from has been built on rarity - over the years we've all listened to some poorer quality soul records in the name of rarity, and ignored other brilliant records that are common. I think I like to know what label / issue a record is played on. I've huge respect for those many people with quality boxes who play them out, little respect (at best) for those not playing originals.

There's always the question of same title different sounds different labels - a whole new thread here, my starter is Grover Mitchell - Take Your Time and Love Me, Josie and Decca - very different takes. When it comes to records it just matters, if you don't get it we just disagree.

Social source share

I stopped posting my playlists up a year or so ago cos theres some on here who just love to have a dig or pick you apart when all i do is play what i feel is right for that time and place :)

Hayup Bearsy , bang them up and bollox to the moaners

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

So whats wrong with being correct about a playlist? :ohmy: .If someone put up a shit rare record as an issue instead of demo(or vice versa),he'd be pulled up on it faster than you could say Soul Police. :lol:

Taken to extremes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why bother putting labels up at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,in fact why not play boots. :)

I'm more intrigued when there's no info on playlists...Kev.

kev, l have seen playlists on this site where the person has put artist....title....label throughout the whole playlist and for a fact 50% of em are CARVERS with lookalike labels.

Also seen playlists again artist...title...original label.....and they're playing em off,of a BOOTLEG and whats worse when i've looked at the photo gallery of said event,theres a picture of the fella with an OUT OF THE PAST bootleg in his hand.

Then there are the guys who pronounce their venue OVO and the residents are playing off BOOTS,CDS and CARVERS. all in all it's bollox.Lastly l have even seen playlists where the bootleg label has been listed.So why bother with em (playlists) people can just lie....how unusual on this site lol :P:D

Social source share

kev, l have seen playlists on this site where the person has put artist....title....label throughout the whole playlist and for a fact 50% of em are CARVERS with lookalike labels.

Also seen playlists again artist...title...original label.....and they're playing em off,of a BOOTLEG and whats worse when i've looked at the photo gallery of said event,theres a picture of the fella with an OUT OF THE PAST bootleg in his hand.

Then there are the guys who pronounce their venue OVO and the residents are playing off BOOTS,CDS and CARVERS. all in all it's bollox.Lastly l have even seen playlists where the bootleg label has been listed.So why bother with em (playlists) people can just lie....how unusual on this site lol :ohmy::lol:

How about name these DJ's or at least the venue you're talking about?

Social source share

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I am a right Norman when it comes to what's being played, where and by whom.

I think it's an important part of this scene and always have.

I just wish the internet had been around right from the start and DJ's had posted their playlists from the beginning.

Just think what a great source of reference that would be by now.

I know that the main days of hearing brand new tunes are all but dead and gone, but I'd still like to see a section dedicated to playlists from various venues over the country. It will all be Northern Soul History one day.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

How about name these DJ's or at least the venue you're talking about?

with all due respect WHY?....the people doing it are usually the venue promoters/djs and they are hardly gonna own up so to speak.In fact one such person has been named 2 or 3 times on this site and he still gets bookings....even at venues with ovo policies :unsure::lol: .Anyway.....so what!....if they're happy with it ....fine.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I am a right Norman when it comes to what's being played, where and by whom.

I think it's an important part of this scene and always have.

I just wish the internet had been around right from the start and DJ's had posted their playlists from the beginning.

Just think what a great source of reference that would be by now.

I know that the main days of hearing brand new tunes are all but dead and gone, but I'd still like to see a section dedicated to playlists from various venues over the country. It will all be Northern Soul History one day.

Ive still got old copies of 'echoes' they were great for playlists .

I dig them out now and again they make a great read ,I suppose that makes me a 'Norman' too ! a few people on here could call me a lot worse :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

with all due respect WHY?....the people doing it are usually the venue promoters/djs and they are hardly gonna own up so to speak.In fact one such person has been named 2 or 3 times on this site and he still gets bookings....even at venues with ovo policies :unsure::lol: .Anyway.....so what!....if they're happy with it ....fine.

Problem is everybody is a 'DJ' these days , or so it seems , more of em then punters !

Edited by Leigh J
Social source share

Then there are the guys who pronounce their venue OVO and the residents are playing off BOOTS,CDS and CARVERS. all in all it's bollox.Lastly l have even seen playlists where the bootleg label has been listed.So why bother with em (playlists) people can just lie....how unusual on this site lol :unsure::lol:

[/quot

I'm one of the guilty one's when it comes to listing artist/label and demo or DJ copy where applicable on playlist's, something I've alway's done for no other reason than I just do, certainly nothing to do with ego more from being the authentic/original old school DJ ethic, the only defence I have in doing this is the fact that all records are as stated being first generation USA originals, how other people conduct themselves I really can't comment on but challenge anyone to find a bootleg, carver or whatever in my boxes, as Dean stated there is a certain amount of pride connected with collecting records and I guess it's sometimes about sharing the pride nothing more.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I'm one of the guilty one's when it comes to listing artist/label and demo or DJ copy where applicable on playlist's, something I've alway's done for no other reason than I just do, certainly nothing to do with ego more from being the authentic/original old school DJ ethic, the only defence I have in doing this is the fact that all records are as stated being first generation USA originals, how other people conduct themselves I really can't comment on but challenge anyone to find a bootleg, carver or whatever in my boxes, as Dean stated there is a certain amount of pride connected with collecting records and I guess it's sometimes about sharing the pride nothing more.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I think you're right .It should be stopped with immediate effect.

Who do these people think they are?.

Surely its in contradiction of The Punter/DJ Bill 1975.

It does take away a lot of the credibility that used to go along with it.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

in contradiction of the misrepresentation bill lol :unsure:

Social source share

I like to read playlists, I'm always suspicious of those events that don't post up playlists. On the rare occasions I've posted mine up, I've listed demos if played. I don't have to justify to anyone why I do it, I just do. I will admit to reading a playlist and then maybe trying to listen to some of it on here or other sites (God forbid if I should buy any of it). Perhaps we should stop magazines printing articles with recommendations for records & Cd's, in fact let us ban anything that may lead us to discovering any kind of record/song that we would never hear of otherwise. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

and completely at odds with the Collector/ Cloakroom Attendant/ Label Sniffer Act of 1983..... :unsure:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

We are old skool Mark.....I'll come round and double check your vinyl to make sure that none of them are dodgy :unsure: x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert