Ebay Seller Terminology

Steve G

Some common terms posted by some sellers and what they really mean - additions welcome:

Seller: "Northern Soul"

Means: Any vinyl record from 1950-1985, includes soul music and everything from the Bay City Rollers to Ray Stevens "The Streak"

Seller "Rare funk"

Means: Anything not covered in the above description of "Northern Soul"

Seller: "Will ship to: United States"

Means: "I can't be bothered to go to the Post Office, let alone deal with any of you foreigners"

Seller: "Condition looks fine to my eyes but I have no record player so cannot verify"

Means: "I played this on my record player and it's got a loud hiss, but if I told you that no one would bid for it"

Seller: "No Paypal"

Means: "I'm a tight ass, or a technophobe, or both"

Seller: "Good gloss"

Means: "The record is probably a bootleg or a recent pressing"

Seller: "I don't know anything about this record" OR "I don't know much about vinyl but just found this" OR "I don't know anything about soul music"

Means: "I see it's listed in Manship's Price Guide at a lot of money"

Seller: "Authentic"

Means: "Bootleg / second press"

Seller: "VG- with some / minimal surface noise"

Means: "The record is trashed and unplayable"

Seller: "Anyone with less than a zillion positive feedback score needn't bother bidding"

Means: "I am an arogant git, with an ego that won't fit in most front rooms"

Seller: "Very rare"

Means: "There are actually loads of them about but it's old, and it's soul.....so I'll take a punt"

Seller: "I have found another copy"

Means: "I have a box full here which I'll drip feed out"

Seller "Well packed"

Means: "I'll wrap it in a dyper / bubblewrap, and a flimsy piece of cardboard and blame the mail service if you don't get it in one piece"

Seller: "Will ship to Europe"

Means: "I've heard all about you folks in Europe and the mad prices you pay for vinyl - now bid!"

and finally:

Seller: "Shipping Costs to be determined at the end of auction"

Means: "I'll tell you my extortionate shipping rates, only after you've won"

whistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Some common terms posted by some sellers and what they really mean - additions welcome:

Seller: "Northern Soul"

Means: Any vinyl record from 1950-1985, includes soul music and everything from the Bay City Rollers to Ray Stevens "The Streak"

Seller "Rare funk"

Means: Anything not covered in the above description of "Northern Soul"

Seller: "Will ship to: United States"

Means: "I can't be bothered to go to the Post Office, let alone deal with any of you foreigners"

Seller: "Condition looks fine to my eyes but I have no record player so cannot verify"

Means: "I played this on my record player and it's got a loud hiss, but if I told you that no one would bid for it"

Seller: "No Paypal"

Means: "I'm a tight ass, or a technophobe, or both"

Seller: "Good gloss"

Means: "The record is probably a bootleg or a recent pressing"

Seller: "I don't know anything about this record" OR "I don't know much about vinyl but just found this" OR "I don't know anything about soul music"

Means: "I see it's listed in Manship's Price Guide at a lot of money"

Seller: "Authentic"

Means: "Bootleg / second press"

Seller: "VG- with some / minimal surface noise"

Means: "The record is trashed and unplayable"

Seller: "Anyone with less than a zillion positive feedback score needn't bother bidding"

Means: "I am an arogant git, with an ego that won't fit in most front rooms"

Seller: "Very rare"

Means: "There are actually loads of them about but it's old, and it's soul.....so I'll take a punt"

Seller: "I have found another copy"

Means: "I have a box full here which I'll drip feed out"

Seller "Well packed"

Means: "I'll wrap it in a dyper / bubblewrap, and a flimsy piece of cardboard and blame the mail service if you don't get it in one piece"

Seller: "Will ship to Europe"

Means: "I've heard all about you folks in Europe and the mad prices you pay for vinyl - now bid!"

and finally:

Seller: "Shipping Costs to be determined at the end of auction"

Means: "I'll tell you my extortionate shipping rates, only after you've won"

:thumbsup:

link

Nice one Steve whistling.gif

Nick

Social source share

This happened the other day after I had bought a record from a US seller as soon as he listed it using buy it now. I got this message around 2 hours later.

I qoute

Seller

"Hi! Craig,

I regret to inform you that while cleaning the record before shipping it, I cracked it. I can't believe this happened, and I could just kick myself. I am so sorry."

Means

"I have listed it far too cheap and have since had an e mail in the meantime telling me this and offering me a far better price"

By the way I keep getting annoying e mails off Ebay all the time saying "Outbid notice" and "Item not won" Any advice anyone? Does anyone else get these?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert