Toast Records - Distributor - Any Ideas?

Guest allymaclean

Guest allymaclean

HI - I am trying to find out if Toast Records (as in Rosetta Hightower fab UK releases) had major distribution deal within UK - basically cos I am sad and like to have the correct company sleeves where possible with my records :thumbup:

I have picked up so far (from other sites/forum) discussions that it may be a Major Minor (or Decca offshoot) - reason apparently reasons being;

The involvement of Tommy Scott as an arranger on certain singles and the catalogue numbers start from 500 just like Major Minor??!!!???

I checked a Major Minor release ( from same period (1968) and it would appear (though I not an expert on factory stamps etc) that has been pressed at same plant as the Toast releases. Both have the letters "SEL" at one part of run out with the respective cat numbers directly opposite in exactly the same format and font. I know this not a clincher but it may sstrenghthen possibility of a connection. I also checked a Decca press from same time and does not have this (though I am sure Decca probably used a variety of pressing plants due to their size?)

I not losing any sleep over this but it would be nice to get an answer since - as is the nature of these things - it has become intriguing since found the first small snippet.

I hope someone out there (possibly a sad sleeve-o like myself) can maybe shed more light on this.

Thanks

Alasdair

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

HI - I am trying to find out if Toast Records (as in Rosetta Hightower fab UK releases) had major distribution deal within UK - basically cos I am sad and like to have the correct company sleeves where possible with my records :thumbup:

I have picked up so far (from other sites/forum) discussions that it may be a Major Minor (or Decca offshoot) - reason apparently reasons being;

The involvement of Tommy Scott as an arranger on certain singles and the catalogue numbers start from 500 just like Major Minor??!!!???

I checked a Major Minor release ( from same period (1968) and it would appear (though I not an expert on factory stamps etc) that has been pressed at same plant as the Toast releases. Both have the letters "SEL" at one part of run out with the respective cat numbers directly opposite in exactly the same format and font. I know this not a clincher but it may sstrenghthen possibility of a connection. I also checked a Decca press from same time and does not have this (though I am sure Decca probably used a variety of pressing plants due to their size?)

I not losing any sleep over this but it would be nice to get an answer since - as is the nature of these things - it has become intriguing since found the first small snippet.

I hope someone out there (possibly a sad sleeve-o like myself) can maybe shed more light on this.

Thanks

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair,

Toast was part of the Major Minor 'group' of labels, the other being Roulette. MM was originally pressed by CBS, but by the time of Toast's formation the label was both pressed and distributed by Decca's distribution arm, Selecta, in Lee, S.E. London.

The label was A & R'd by Vicki Wickham, former producer of TV's "Ready Steady Go!". Its repertoire was a mixture of home grown recordings by UK based black artists and US singles drawn from the Calla label (MM having the Roulette/Calla license over here back then).

I was working in a record shop by the time that the first Toast releases came out and I don't recall that they had any kind of 'house bag', just a regular, simple, plain white paper sleeve.

Best,

TONY

Social source share

Guest allymaclean

Hi Tony

Many thanks for taking time to answer and confirming re MM and so quickly.

Guess the Toast singles will just need to live on in their white carboard sleeves jealous of their colourfully adorned neighbours sad.gif

Do you - or anyone else who may happen upon this thread know of any sites with lists of labels/distributors/subsidiaries etc

I have found some decent stuff occasionally at rateyourmusic.com (where people have added such details) and even if it doesnt have specifics it can sometimes help lead to other lines of enquiry - but I'm sure that their are enough anoraks like myself that someone must have done a list somewhere. Anyone know???????

or given speed and succesl with this one I may put up list on forum and see who out there can help with the ones I struggling with :thumbup:

Cheers again Tony

Alasdair

Social source share

Hi Alasdair,

Toast was part of the Major Minor 'group' of labels, the other being Roulette. MM was originally pressed by CBS, but by the time of Toast's formation the label was both pressed and distributed by Decca's distribution arm, Selecta, in Lee, S.E. London.

The label was A & R'd by Vicki Wickham, former producer of TV's "Ready Steady Go!". Its repertoire was a mixture of home grown recordings by UK based black artists and US singles drawn from the Calla label (MM having the Roulette/Calla license over here back then).

I was working in a record shop by the time that the first Toast releases came out and I don't recall that they had any kind of 'house bag', just a regular, simple, plain white paper sleeve.

Best,

TONY

I always thought Toast came via Polydor as they also distributed the label Marmalade, I thought they were sister labels.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Always used to see Toast 45's in a plain black sleeve.

:thumbsup:

Sean

...you might be right about that for some of the later releases, mate, but I can still recall writing the TT catalogue numbers in pencil on the corners of the white sleeves, and filing them on the shelves in my local record shop, and I wouldn't have been able to do that if the sleeves had been black from the off....

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

...you might be right about that for some of the later releases, mate, but I can still recall writing the TT catalogue numbers in pencil on the corners of the white sleeves, and filing them on the shelves in my local record shop, and I wouldn't have been able to do that if the sleeves had been black from the off....

Oh Tony....you've just transported me back to record shop heaven....and then updating the stock bags each time you sold one....ahh, happy days. It would be nice to think that there was a prototype beige coloured bag with the brown Toast logo running along the bottom with a circle of brown around the centre cutout....I can almost see it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Tony,

I'm sure you're right, but if you think about it they do look good in black sleeves!

If it had been my label, I'd have had 'em in Black from the get go!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

TOAST LISTING

500 - stocking tops - you're never gonna get my loving

501 - nino ferrer - the telephone

502 - joe eyoung & the toniks - flower in my hand

503 - cameos - pretty shade of blue

504 - eddie elwell - don't knock it

505 - sandpepples - if you don't here me the first time

506 - rozetta hightower - pretty red balloons

507 - doris troy - i'll do anything

508 - cameos - the love of a boy

509 - rozetta hightower - big bird

510 - unissued?

511 - hamilton king - this love of mine

512 - unissued?

513 - coins - love power

514 - joe e young & the toniks - life time of lovin'

515 - coins - crying over you

Social source share

TOAST LISTING

500 - stocking tops - you're never gonna get my loving

501 - nino ferrer - the telephone

502 - joe eyoung & the toniks - flower in my hand

503 - cameos - pretty shade of blue

504 - eddie elwell - don't knock it

505 - sandpepples - if you don't here me the first time

506 - rozetta hightower - pretty red balloons

507 - doris troy - i'll do anything

508 - cameos - the love of a boy

509 - rozetta hightower - big bird

510 - unissued?

511 - hamilton king - this love of mine

512 - unissued?

513 - coins - love power

514 - joe e young & the toniks - life time of lovin'

515 - coins - crying over you

missing 512 is Joy Marshall - "And I'll Find You" / "I'm So Glad Your back"

....one of the best on the label imho brill beat ballad

steve

Social source share

Guest allymaclean

steve

TT 510 (I believe) was Steve & Stevie - Remains to be Seen c/w Merry Go Round

This was Steve Kipner and Steve Groves who also released an eponymous LP on Toast

Strangley - In keeping with a number of different previous comments this pair of Stevens then changed their name to Tin Tin who had UK hit with "Toast and Marmalade for Tea" - on Polydor Records

TT515- Miss White and Mr Green- Don't you know it's just a game love/Crying Over you - I got this from a previous forum discussion but I havent got the single I dont know if this is flip of the coins track Steve has listed above????

TT516- 67 Park Lane - I'm So Happy Just To Be With You / I Got Love

A

Social source share

Hi Tony,

I'm sure you're right, but if you think about it they do look good in black sleeves!

sure there are two colour schemes for this label - the brown/beige one and another one, maybe white with a red logo or something?

and isn't there a version of Love Power by the Sandpebbles? (or is that the same version as the Coins?)

Social source share

Guest allymaclean

steve

My own personal fave is TT506 Rosetta Hightower Pretty Red Balloons c/w How Can You Mistreat (The One You Love) Both of which are fabulous covers particularly the A side which is version of the Billy Page song recorded couple years earlier by The Apollas

Much better than Big Bird which gets all the plays and demands bigger bucks (controversial??? :D )

A

Social source share

My own personal fave is TT506 Rosetta Hightower Pretty Red Balloons c/w How Can You Mistreat (The One You Love) Both of which are fabulous covers particularly the A side which is version of the Billy Page song recorded couple years earlier by The Apollas

Much better than Big Bird which gets all the plays and demands bigger bucks (controversial??? :D )

A

Always loved "How Can You Mistreat The One You love" as a lad.

Wunnerful tune!

Back in the day, Bill Payne often played out Toast 501, Nino Ferrer "The Telephone".... s'true!

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

sure there are two colour schemes for this label - the brown/beige one and another one, maybe white with a red logo or something?

and isn't there a version of Love Power by the Sandpebbles? (or is that the same version as the Coins?)

"Love Power" by the Sandpebbles was released here on Track, not Toast.

And I've never seen or even heard of your alternate colour scheme...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

TT515- Miss White and Mr Green- Don't you know it's just a game love/Crying Over you - I got this from a previous forum discussion but I havent got the single I dont know if this is flip of the coins track Steve has listed above????

Miss White and Mr. Green is, I believe, Rosetta Hightower and her husband Ian Green, but I don't have the record and it's a long time since I've heard it so I can't say that with 100% certainty.

I do remember, though, that it's the same song that was done by both Peaches & Herb and Brenton Wood as "It's Just A Game, Love".

I've got a Brazilian issue of "Pretty Red Balloons" upstairs somewhere, I'll dig it out later and post a scan up.

I also saw a Nino Ferrer tribute act in Italy during the summer and that's about as arcane as I'm prepared to get about Toast at 7AM without eating a slice or two and washing 'em down with a cuppa...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert