• Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Yes its Gary try +44 (0)1924 299461

Hope it goes well.

A couple of people disagreed with my decription of the record as modern beat ballad. The phrase I of course made up a bit like somebody else made up the phrase 'northern soul'

thumbsup.gif

How about this then

link

Ill be first,not all that soulsmith!,could do better :thumbsup:

Social source share

I can't see what all the fuss is about, I don't think it's all that.  I wouldn't pay £50 for it, let alone £350.

link

Which of the 2 records are you currently objecting to?

Having said that I know where you live. Staines suffers from noise pollution from the the M25, air pollution from Heathrow and effluent pollution from the Thames, so I am probably not going to listen to your reasoned arguments thumbsup.gif

See you at Lightwater.....

Col :thumbsup:

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

I can't see what all the fuss is about, I don't think it's all that.  I wouldn't pay £50 for it, let alone £350.

link

:thumbsup::D ....

Have I just read what I've read.... maybe overplayed in some places, yes.... maybe reactivated in others, yes.... but no matter what the score you can't escape the fact that it is a "class tune".... or is it the "cost" that gets some people :D .... the "if I can't afford it then it's crap" point of view thumbsup.gif .... f*** the "value" that's only between a buyer and seller.... it's what's in the grooves thatt's counts.... £5 or £5000 :lol: ....

And this "has it" in the grooves :D ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

bored with it to be honest.....

Overplayed I.M.O, and if it was only a tenner very few people would even be discussing it.

WOOF!

link

What a real one,tenner i`ll have it thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm sorry to say Jazzman is being economical with the actualit. I'm sure this is accidental.

Firstly, Michigan Move has nothing to do with Golden Eye records, since Golden Eye records produced exactly two tracks - Pyramid and the proper b-side, Capricorn XL-5 from memory.

[As an aside, Pyramid was released in 1972 and Michigan Move is clearly a lot earlier than that.]

So that side of the boot didn't come from a Golden Eye master Guy or anyone else picked up Stateside.

The other side of the boot ie Pyramid didn't come from a master tape either, since George Brown (who is basically Golden Eye records) i) couldn't find the master tape and ii) knew nothing of this bootleg (or the two occasions when Pyramid came out on CD).

Ergo, the only way that (second) record was produced was by dubbing straight from as clean a 45 as possible. Not only was the song ripped off, the label name was too, which was cute. In Guy's defence, it obviously was not an attempt to deceive paying punters: anyone with a brain knew immediately that this was a re-issue when it came out in the mid-80s.

No point opening up the debate about bootlegs/artist royalties again, though I would point out that George Brown is not living particularly well and could do with some royalties from all three ripped-off re-issues. I'm happy to pass on any royalties people feel they want to offer (though I won't be holding my breath).

As for whether it's any good, that's very straightforward as far as I'm concerned: it's the best record ever released (and I speak as someone who has about three other 70s records and is basically 60s to the bone). Used to make me cry when it was played at nighters all those years ago and without, I hope, sounding too pompous, having the privilege (with help from Mike Ashley which I have failed, by error, to acknowledge to date...sorry Mike!) of finding George and the honour of breaking the news to him about how revered he was all those miles away and years later was one of the best experiences of my life.

link

Great story Dan and thanks for answering my questions. :thumbsup:

I'm all for artists getting royalties but as the master tapes are gone I won't settle for 1st press as master re-issues, there's just too much music lost with those generations.

When I used to listen to Jazzman's clip way before this thread, assumed that warm compression was from raw production and not from master source. Playing it now and gotta admit this is the first time I think it still sounds good ! I'm sure I'd think different if I heard the original record in person but that soundfile at the top o thread doesn't sound much more transparent than Jazzman's and has even more noise ratio? I was about to cancel the order but 40's not bad for it. Would be great if Guy and Jazzman could send a percentage to George but if that's not in the cards then there's no reason I can't pass something back however small.

Tenyu

Social source share

Overplayed I.M.O, and if it was only a tenner very few people would even be discussing it.

WOOF!

link

I agree if it were common it may not get the same attention in the UK but depending on my mood I still really like the song.

Tenyu

Social source share

WOOF!

link

value (or actually, price) has got nothing to do with it

this is quality through and through

i'd say most people on here aren't price or rarity snobs really...most are interested in the sound first and everything else second

Social source share

WOOF!

link

I think you will find it was probably played as much and discussed as much when it was only a tenner, my very good friend Colin Law was lucky enough to get a dozen of these in the 80's, a few which resided with me for a few years, sadly no more,

As someone else said just a very special record, one which was definitely around at the right time, however as not out that often I am probably lucky enough not to be suffering from it being overplayed, easy record to fall back on as dj would imagine.

Cheers

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Is this just another example of the inherent British desire to knock things or people when they achieve a certain level or status.

There can be few more soulful records played in Northern Soul rooms than Pyramid. Its a classic.

I hope it doesnt suffer from being overplayed.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Is this just another example of the inherent British desire to knock things or people when they achieve a certain level or status.

There can be few more soulful records played in Northern Soul rooms than Pyramid. Its a classic.

I hope it doesnt suffer from being overplayed.

Social source share

Strange question.

link

Suppose its what you would call a modern beat ballad.

If you think 'the only good modern record is a broken one', this record may leave you a little confused

I'd be interested to hear other peoples views on it. Personally I like it.

Col.

Strange, but one which started this thread... :thumbsup:

Social source share

If you think 'the only good modern record is a broken one', this record may leave you a little confused 

Col.

Strange, but one which started this thread...  :thumbsup:

link

It doesn't sound at all modern imo, could have been recorded in 1962. Just a wonderful record.

Social source share

I am making my opinion on hearing this (Pyramid - Soul Bros Inc) over the net, admittedly it may sound better out loud over a quality sound system. I still think it's not that special, but each to their own I suppose.

I admit I may have been wrong in bringing the price into play, for that I apologise. :)

However, I don't apologise for not liking it that much! :lol: Wouldn't it be more interesting if we were all :lol::thumbsup:blush.gif

As for an alternative slow tune, I prefer LV Johnson - Recipe.

Social source share

Col.

Strange, but one which started this thread...  :thumbsup:

link

I never thought about categorising it - it's just a great record with little of the elements that make me detest modern so much.

Social source share

Having been out of the scene for years it is funny to see what isn't really known anymore, this particular track was on everybodys wants in the mid 80's.

I love it - being a Wire lad, it was quite a biggie at The Parr Hall niters back then too and I'm sorry you can't say this isn't a great track - period. :thumbsup:

Edited by Hottwaxx
Social source share

Guest Jamie

Its got a novelty vocal.

Its a bit slow.

It's overplayed, to the point of getting boring.

Would still rather hear it than 'She's gone' though..... that is overplayed to the hilt.

Taste, it's a funny old thing ain't it?

WOOF!

link

Understand what you mean.

I do try and rest it, but people know I've got it and ask me to play it. I think I'll have to roll out the old chestnut 'I haven't got it with me' next time. :thumbsup:

Great tune, but yes, round our way heard a bit too often at the mo'

Jamie laugh.gif

Social source share

Its got a novelty vocal.

Its a bit slow.

It's overplayed, to the point of getting boring.

Would still rather hear it than 'She's gone' though..... that is overplayed to the hilt.

Taste, it's a funny old thing ain't it?

WOOF!

link

Taste would be a funny old thing to you Joe as dogs don't have any do they :thumbsup:laugh.gif ....

Couldn't resist it :) ....

Social source share

Golden Eye records produced exactly two tracks - Pyramid and the proper b-side, Capricorn XL-5

link

Cor!! Capricorn XL5 - what a top title laugh.gif

It sounds like a cross between Capricorn One and Fireball XL5 (younger readers might as well give in now :) )

Seems like I need it for my Sci-Fi / Theme tune collection :thumbsup:

Soundfile of this B side anyone?

Cheers,

Godz

Social source share

As before, "Pyramid" first played at Stafford (by Adam ?), then went BIG in the late 80s when the scene was very undergound again. reminds me of the 100 club. The record was booted to supply demand for the record, however with the addition of the previously un-issued "michigan move" it is something of an oddity as that has never been released on vinyl anywhere before !

Pyramid was taken from an original copy, done in London, and the labels cocked up on each of the 500 copies pressed ! As a detroit fan it has to be worth having to get the un-issued track on 45. they sold at £5 each when done around 1988/89.

Also thought this came out on Kent at some point (did it Ady ?)

Pity the masters aren't available for a clean copy to be issued.

As for anthing its worth as much as you want to pay for it, but don't be surprised if this isn't a future "collectable" in its own right. :D

Social source share

As before, "Pyramid" first played at Stafford (by Adam ?), then went BIG in the late 80s when the scene was very undergound again. reminds me of the 100 club.  The record was booted to supply demand for the record, however with the addition of the previously un-issued "michigan move" it is something of an oddity as that has never been released on vinyl anywhere before !

Pyramid was taken from an original copy, done in London, and the labels cocked up on each of the 500 copies pressed ! As a detroit fan it has to be worth having to get the un-issued track on 45. they sold at £5 each when done around 1988/89.

Also thought this came out on Kent at some point (did it Ady ?)

Pity the masters aren't available for a clean copy to be issued.

As for anthing its worth as much as you want to pay for it, but don't be surprised if this isn't a future "collectable" in its own right. :D

link

First played by Dave Thorley, Rob.

Really reminds me of the 100 Club as well, I think Ian Clark used to play it there (among others) and by the way what a fantastic jock Ian Clark was.

Dan

Social source share

The vocal is brilliant - that's what I love about it. Just a superb soul record...

Hammy

link

Totally agree, George can sing in my ear anyday with that superb voice :D

Social source share

If you think 'the only good modern record is a broken one', this record may leave you a little confused :yes:

Col.

link

I think it's a pucker tune.. great intro.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert