Pyramids - Love It Or Hate It?

• Replies 93
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Suppose its what you would call a modern beat ballad.

If you think 'the only good modern record is a broken one', this record may leave you a little confused ranting_1.gif

I'd be interested to hear other peoples views on it. Personally I like it.

Col.

link

Awesome Stafford tune. Even PeteS must like this. Popular round Yorks at the moment as a reactivation. 10/10

Steve

Social source share

If you think 'the only good modern record is a broken one', this record may leave you a little confused :huh:

Col.

link

I always thought this was Northern! thumbsup.gif

Used to play it at Morecambe niters and is absolutely superb! Sung along and remembered all the words... :(

Sam

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

If you think 'the only good modern record is a broken one', this record may leave you a little confused :huh:

Col.

link

well i aint modern but you just cant help loving this , top tune. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Awesome Stafford tune. Even PeteS must like this. Popular round  Yorks at the moment as a reactivation. 10/10

Steve

link

Been played everywere,clifton hall,bradford queens hall,is a awesome record though,are these things expencive,love one!.

Social source share

Jazzman still has 3 left of the mid 80's master tape reissues for 40, apparently not appreciated by the funk members. I've been sleeping on it for months but just ordered one now before this thread spreads. thumbsup.gif

Tenyu

Social source share

Been played everywere,clifton hall,bradford queens hall,is a awesome record though,are these things expencive,love one!.

link

Quite a few about but £350 seems to be about the going rate (if there is such a thing!). £40 way over the top for a boot IMO.

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

Jazzman still has 3 left of the mid 80's master tape reissues for 40, apparently not appreciated by the funk members.  I've been sleeping on it for months but just ordered one now before this thread spreads.  thumbsup.gif

Tenyu

link

Sorry Tenyu!if it isnt real i dont want it,and if i couldnt afford one i would rather do without,but i am sure for somebody who dont care,will have em`every bodys got there own standards,fuckin`good tune though. :huh:

Social source share

Sorry Tenyu!if it isnt real i dont want it,and if i couldnt afford one i would rather do without,but i am sure for somebody who dont care,will have em`every bodys got there own standards,fuckin`good tune though. thumbsup.gif

link

What do you mean not real? It's from the master tape for soul sake! Mid 80's too so 99% sure it was a completely analogue press.

SAME as the ORIGINAL!

Jazzman was wise to note that here:

Rare section

Tenyu

Social source share

Quite a few about but £350 seems to be about the going rate (if there is such a thing!). £40 way over the top for a boot IMO.

link

Is Jazzman lying?

Social source share

How do you know it was from the master tape? If you're talking about the one with the Michigan Move on the other side, it's an out and out bootleg. Worth no more than £15 tops. Besides, why pay £40 for a bootleg (with the labels on the wrong sides) when you can cut yourself one for a few quid or buy one off me thumbsup.gif

Social source share

How do you know it was from the master tape?  If you're talking about the one with the Michigan Move on the other side, it's an out and out bootleg.  Worth no more than £15 tops.  Besides, why pay £40 for a bootleg (with the labels on the wrong sides) when you can cut yourself one for a few quid or buy one off me  thumbsup.gif

link

So when did this 'boot' come out Pete? Trust if it is a boot when the record arrives I will know for sure.

Tenyu

Social source share

Guest Jamie

What do you mean not real?  It's from the master tape for soul sake!  Mid 80's too so 99% sure it was a completely analogue press.

SAME as the ORIGINAL!

Rare section

Tenyu

link

I'd be careful taking that as gospel, my friend!

George Brown (lead vocal) knew nothing about the UK releases, and as the Group financed the demo's (was it 1,000 or 2,000 pressed?? :huh: Can't remember!) themselves, I'm quite sure they'd be the guys who would have given permission.

Site member Dan Collins is the man on this subject, he's been to see him.

He may even tell you an amusing/sad story of what happened to about 70 odd copies thumbsup.gif

Jamie :(

Social source share

Guest Jamie

How do you know it was from the master tape?  If you're talking about the one with the Michigan Move on the other side, it's an out and out bootleg.  Worth no more than £15 tops.  Besides, why pay £40 for a bootleg (with the labels on the wrong sides) when you can cut yourself one for a few quid or buy one off me  :huh:

link

Spot on Pete, deffo a boot thumbsup.gif

Social source share

What do you mean not real?  It's from the master tape for soul sake!  Mid 80's too so 99% sure it was a completely analogue press.

SAME as the ORIGINAL!

Rare section

Tenyu

link

Just dont like reissue,nice they might be but not for me,£40 could get me at least 4 proper records ie;originals

Social source share

I give two shits what the record looks like. It's what's in the grooves that counts.

Hopefully Jazzman will respond to this thread when he reads it.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

I give two shits what the record looks like.  It's what's in the grooves that counts.

Hopefully Jazzman will respond to this thread when he reads it.

link

I don't give a shit what the record looks like, as long as it's REAL :huh:thumbsup.gif:(

Jamie :D

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Ahhh but doesn't the boot play the other side...Michigan Move  thumbsup.gif   Labels reversed if I remember rightly  :D

link

I wouldn't know, Mr Picky :huh:

I've only one of the two copies shown :(

Social source share

Ahhh but doesn't the boot play the other side...Michigan Move  thumbsup.gif   Labels reversed if I remember rightly  :huh:

link

Yeah I already said that :(

I looked on Jazzman's site and he does say it's a boot and he even says who released it.

For boot read 'reissue'.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

True.  Think one of these went on Ebay for about £60 last year.

link

I think the Trouts got about the same for a copy on ebay earlier in the year/late last year. I'm sure they'll 'spill the beans' when the read the thread.

Jamie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Same you say.....

Real:

post-1261-1114539594_thumb.jpg

Nasty Boot Crap:

post-1261-1114539631_thumb.jpg

link

Nice one soulville!,now it my birthday in august,i do hope you dont own the boot and you robbed the picture,not take £250 for yours and six weeks notice. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I don't give a shit what the record looks like, as long as it's REAL  :huh:   thumbsup.gif   :(

Jamie  :D

link

If they were both made from the same source same way then to me they're the same record. Posting scans do nothing to prove one way or the other. REAL confused you are?

Tenyu

Social source share

How do you know it was from the master tape?  If you're talking about the one with the Michigan Move on the other side, it's an out and out bootleg.  Worth no more than £15 tops.  Besides, why pay £40 for a bootleg (with the labels on the wrong sides) when you can cut yourself one for a few quid or buy one off me  thumbsup.gif

link

Michigan Move was from master tapes, thats all it existed on. Pretty sure there are about 18 takes on the tape. Was told it was something to do with the Washpan label/set up and not Golden World, will ask Guy.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

If they were both made from the same source same way then to me they're the same record.  Posting scans do nothing to prove one way or the other.  REAL confused you are?

Tenyu

link

Only having a bit of fun Tenyu :huh: , either way it's a great record. I love it just as much as you :(

Jamie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Nice one soulville!,now it my birthday in august,i do hope you dont own the boot and you robbed the picture,not take £250 for yours and six weeks notice. :huh:

link

I 'borrowed' the picture from Jazzman, just like someone 'borrowed' the recording from Soul Bros Inc. :(thumbsup.gif:D

Aw mate, I'd love to sell it to you, but I love it too much. I'll give you first shout if I ever sell it, how's that? :D

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Only having a bit of fun Tenyu  :huh: , either way it's a great record. I love it just as much as you  :(

My point is the Solid centre issue didn't have permission, please read my earlier posts!!  :D

Jamie  thumbsup.gif

link

Social source share

If they were both made from the same source same way then to me they're the same record.  Posting scans do nothing to prove one way or the other.  REAL confused you are?

Tenyu

link

What we mean by real is authetic,we know its a record we aint that stupid,why dont Jazzmanrecord do something good and press unissued stuff,now thats fair game!

Social source share

Nice one soulville!,now it my birthday in august,i do hope you dont own the boot and you robbed the picture,not take £250 for yours and six weeks notice. :D

link

I 'borrowed' the picture from Jazzman, just like someone 'borrowed' the recording from Soul Bros Inc.  :huh:   thumbsup.gif   :(

Aw mate, I'd love to sell it to you, but I love it too much. I'll give you first shout if I ever sell it, how's that?  :(

Jamie

link

I want equal first shout, I want equal first shout, I was born on the same day as him and I want equal first shout! :D Shoulda bought this when it was £150. The dodgy boot fades out before the end and the sound quality isn't that good. Michigan Move clearer sound quality. First heard this at St Ives - totally awesome. Fave tune * instruction left to play at funeral. :D

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Anyways, back to the jist of thread. I think it's a great tune. Brilliant infact, and to me, priceless (sorry Kenny :huh: )

I also think it's current popularity is regional. I play it a lot, So does Rich Buckley and Bladeforlife.

Then you've got people like Arthur Fenn and the like. All playing it in and around the M62 corridor.

I spose John & Ali Nightingale struck a chord with the Pioneers thread. They are both peed off with hearing it. Whereas 'up our way' very few venues were playing it, with probably the exception of the Orwell.

That meant it was a reasonably popular sound, but elsewhere hammered to death.

Not comparing them musically, just in the 'exposure' sense - if that makes sense :(

Jamie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

I want equal first shout, I want equal first shout, I was born on the same day as him and I want equal first shout!  :D   Shoulda bought this when it was £150. The dodgy boot fades out before the end and the sound quality isn't that good.  Michigan Move clearer sound quality.  First heard this at St Ives - totally awesome.  Fave tune * instruction left to play at funeral.  thumbsup.gif

link

I'll let you two sort that one out :huh::(:D

Social source share

GOOD GOD THIS RECORD HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YONKS......iM SUPRISED ITS EVEN MADE A TOPIC ...

iTS A CORKER...... OF THAT THERES NO DOUBT

YOU'LL HEAR THE REAL i AM AT THE FRIENDSHIP ON FRIDAY IF ANYONE WANTS TO COME.

DAVE AND BRI PINCHER ARE ON AND GOING MONSTER RARE FOR US IN BARNSLEY

whistling.gif

Geeoooooordiee

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

SAME as the ORIGINAL!

Rare section

Tenyu

link

I'm sorry to say Jazzman is being economical with the actualit. I'm sure this is accidental.

Firstly, Michigan Move has nothing to do with Golden Eye records, since Golden Eye records produced exactly two tracks - Pyramid and the proper b-side, Capricorn XL-5 from memory.

[As an aside, Pyramid was released in 1972 and Michigan Move is clearly a lot earlier than that.]

So that side of the boot didn't come from a Golden Eye master Guy or anyone else picked up Stateside.

The other side of the boot ie Pyramid didn't come from a master tape either, since George Brown (who is basically Golden Eye records) i) couldn't find the master tape and ii) knew nothing of this bootleg (or the two occasions when Pyramid came out on CD).

Ergo, the only way that (second) record was produced was by dubbing straight from as clean a 45 as possible. Not only was the song ripped off, the label name was too, which was cute. In Guy's defence, it obviously was not an attempt to deceive paying punters: anyone with a brain knew immediately that this was a re-issue when it came out in the mid-80s.

No point opening up the debate about bootlegs/artist royalties again, though I would point out that George Brown is not living particularly well and could do with some royalties from all three ripped-off re-issues. I'm happy to pass on any royalties people feel they want to offer (though I won't be holding my breath).

As for whether it's any good, that's very straightforward as far as I'm concerned: it's the best record ever released (and I speak as someone who has about three other 70s records and is basically 60s to the bone). Used to make me cry when it was played at nighters all those years ago and without, I hope, sounding too pompous, having the privilege (with help from Mike Ashley which I have failed, by error, to acknowledge to date...sorry Mike!) of finding George and the honour of breaking the news to him about how revered he was all those miles away and years later was one of the best experiences of my life.

Social source share

I was in contact with his daughter a couple of days ago and ought to ring George and see about getting it legally released. In fact I will. Anyone able to give me contact numbers for someone at Grapevine...is it Gary Cape???

Social source share

Yes its Gary try +44 (0)1924 299461

Hope it goes well.

A couple of people disagreed with my decription of the record as modern beat ballad. The phrase I of course made up a bit like somebody else made up the phrase 'northern soul'

thumbsup.gif

How about this then

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

SAME as the ORIGINAL!

Rare section

Tenyu

link

It has sold for more to loons on't t'internet but last i heard Guy still had a load of these thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'll let you two sort that one out  thumbsup.gif   :thumbsup:   :lol:

Jamie  :D

link

Is sorted Jamie as i am older and better lookin`,not to mention i`ll bar him from 100club,you know the rest,cheers :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert