Is It Really Worth It?

Guest Nik Mak

Guest Nik Mak

This is a really cool record but is it really worth over £500? There is one on e-bay which has reached over $700 bucks with still many hours to go(I was bidding but pulled out at $500 bucks). I think another one went a few days ago for a similar amount & I'm sure I've seen one on Mannies auction recently too. So is it THAT rare? shades.gif

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This is a really cool record but is it really worth over £500? There is one on e-bay which has reached over $700 bucks with still many hours to go(I was bidding but pulled out at $500 bucks). I think another one went a few days ago for a similar amount & I'm sure I've seen one on Mannies auction recently too. So is it THAT rare? shades.gif

i've seen 5 copies in the last few weeks on various lists!!! can;t be that rare!! but a crackin' tune!!

max,,

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

i've seen 5 copies in the last few weeks on various lists!!! can;t be that rare!! but a crackin' tune!!

max,,

Exactly my point, if it's popping up all over the place then it can't be THAT rare and yet people are paying serious money for it! I'm gutted as I really love the tune! sad.gif

Social source share

Exactly my point, if it's popping up all over the place then it can't be THAT rare and yet people are paying serious money for it! I'm gutted as I really love the tune! :g:

Seeing it (or a few) for sale and getting it is not the same thing though is it unsure.gif

Took me a while to get mine and I have honestly not had that many chances since then, in the right condition and the right price :lol:

Top northern tune - classic Detroit label - it's the old supply & demand thing.

Always wanted an issue, but always missed out too, or saw it at a silly price.

I wouldn't pay that amount at the moment if I had the money to spend (I wish :shhh: ) - would just sit it out and see what the score is in 12 months. Going to be a dynamic market I think.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Seeing it (or a few) for sale and getting it is not the same thing though is it unsure.gif

Took me a while to get mine and I have honestly not had that many chances since then, in the right condition and the right price :lol:

Top northern tune - classic Detroit label - it's the old supply & demand thing.

Always wanted an issue, but always missed out too, or saw it at a silly price.

I wouldn't pay that amount at the moment if I had the money to spend (I wish :g: ) - would just sit it out and see what the score is in 12 months. Going to be a dynamic market I think.

Cheers

Richard

Hope your right, really want a copy as it is a stormer but I think that a lot of people are after it which will keep the price high regardless of it's rarety. Look at the Four Tracks 'Like my love for you' that keeps popping up on E-bay thru the same seller and he regularly picks up $500 to $600 + bucks for it even tho' it's well known he has a bloody box of the buggers stashed away. Resigned myself to be waiting a long time! :shhh:

Social source share

I remember Poke telling me, back in the early 80's, that on his Detroit trips, when he worked for Soul Bowl, he 'used to tread all over copies of this to get to the good stuff'.

Became a surprisingly quite expensive record soon after.

:thumbsup:

Sean

SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT SEAN. NEVER REALLY KNOWN THIS AS A CHEEPIE MESSEN, SOLD MY MINT/PRESTINE DEMO 4 OR 5 YEARS AGO FOR £300.

BRI PINCH

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

I remember Poke telling me, back in the early 80's, that on his Detroit trips, when he worked for Soul Bowl, he 'used to tread all over copies of this to get to the good stuff'.

rolleyes.gif

Sean

i tottaly agree and what gos round comes round,often based on the wim of american dealers who either sit on them or suddenly find enlightment,the rarity etc should not distract from the fact that is a cracking tune almost as good as his beat ballad imho.

BAZ A :huh:

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

This is a really cool record but is it really worth over £500? There is one on e-bay which has reached over $700 bucks with still many hours to go(I was bidding but pulled out at $500 bucks). I think another one went a few days ago for a similar amount & I'm sure I've seen one on Mannies auction recently too. So is it THAT rare? :rolleyes:

There is a lot of copies of this record, but it's a one of those good ones, and once its in a collection it very rarely comes out!

Social source share

has anyone got an issue with the red writing biggrin.gif

Used to have a Stock Copy Mate, regret selling it now, however early days of collecting.

At the time things were not as clear as today, we've all passed things by, sold etc.

I suppose, on balance there's others I'm pleased to have had chance of and kept, right place, right time.

All part of the collecting game. :thumbsup:

Social source share

seen a couple w/demos go though ebay recently one went for over $1100, and one was sold tonight by lew stanley $959

as already stated would like to see a issue, as like alot of these quality 45s when one sells for a few bucks then

a few seem to surface then you wont see em for a while. they are out there just sitting in peoples collections!!

would say £350/£400ish for a mint-w/demo imo. have got a demo, top double sider :lol:

russ

Social source share

Guest Tom Walsh

seen a couple w/demos go though ebay recently one went for over $1100, and one was sold tonight by lew stanley $959

as already stated would like to see a issue, as like alot of these quality 45s when one sells for a few bucks then

a few seem to surface then you wont see em for a while. they are out there just sitting in peoples collections!!

would say £350/£400ish for a mint-w/demo imo. have got a demo, top double sider :lol:

russ

If you are at Letchworth friday! thumbsup.gif I will show you my Red issue! :yes:

:P

Social source share

Guest mel brat

:shades:

Sean

I had two of 'em back in the day (both demos). Bought one from Steve Glover C.1974 - then a better copy from Soul Bowl at about £2 - £2.50 I think. Love it, but sold 'em both pretty cheaply C.1989 when I needed the cash quickly. (Don't ask!) :thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert