Soulful House/garage

Just admit it and i will fill you in with the details later?!..... in a nutshell!.... We where all about at the same time doing/listening to different things so collecting different things. by your own admittion you were off your head havin fun so those ears of yours were not functioning perfectly... since you have come round you have listened to what you bought and wouldnt touch it with a barge pole! fair enough, Im sure you had a ball as we all did but 20 years on the big difference is we treasure what we bought because we bought well! it stood the test of time (bar a few crap ones... not all perfect but I may have been drunk!) We are defending what we know to be soulful... you are defending what???... the stuff collecting dust in the attic! Im with you there... its probably horrid... so we agree at last :lol:

Hmmm...I think that's still open to debate...who's to say that the stuff collecting dust in my attic isn't House gold to you? Just because i've gone off it...doesn't mean you won't like it...i've listened to a little of the new stuff that gets posted on here from time to time...and I don't like that either...you lot obviously do...one mans shite etc etc...I think it's a tad condescending to say I was off my head so I bought completely shit music...I think that can be said for most people who have ever graced a club including people on here who have bought at a night on gear from a willing record bar host...granted...some of it will be pants...but for the majority I didn't buy off my head...but in record shops at the weekend...so your theory is somewhat flawed...my simple resoning is only that I went completely cold on House music full stop...it was blowing up at the time into something I didn't like...and I cut myself off from it...my love turned to hate in a short space of time and I resorted back to my original love of contemporary soul, broken beats hip hop and reggae.

Social source share

• Replies 280
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest familytree

The most intelligent post on this thread..

Missed that comment...its all coming in thick n fast its hard to keep up... im going gozzy! you should write a book you SO no your stuff.... the english version! ha cant believe i dont know you better?

Social source share

Missed that comment...its all coming in thick n fast its hard to keep up... im going gozzy! you should write a book you SO no your stuff.... the english version! ha cant believe i dont know you better?

Is this the mutaul House appreciation arse kissing society? You should be next door... :lol:

Social source share

Hmmm...I think that's still open to debate...who's to say that the stuff collecting dust in my attic isn't House gold to you? Just because i've gone off it...doesn't mean you won't like it...i've listened to a little of the new stuff that gets posted on here from time to time...and I don't like that either...you lot obviously do...one mans shite etc etc...I think it's a tad condescending to say I was off my head so I bought completely shit music...I think that can be said for most people who have ever graced a club including people on here who have bought at a night on gear from a willing record bar host...granted...some of it will be pants...but for the majority I didn't buy off my head...but in record shops at the weekend...so your theory is somewhat flawed...my simple resoning is only that I went completely cold on House music full stop...it was blowing up at the time into something I didn't like...and I cut myself off from it...my love turned to hate in a short space of time and I resorted back to my original love of contemporary soul, broken beats hip hop and reggae.

Now you're contradicting yourself! Hip Hop and Broken? EH???? That is produced on computers as well ain't it? Sampling Soul..Just like House..

Social source share

Now you're contradicting yourself! Hip Hop and Broken? EH???? That is produced on computers as well ain't it? Sampling Soul..Just like House..

Er...yeah...but i'm not asking it to be played out in Soul nights am I? :lol:

Social source share

Guest familytree

Well why didnt you say that!? ha... it was tongue in cheek re you being off your head when buying tunes by the way and your right about things taking a left turn but there was still good stuff to buy... it all goes so deep but people were still makin good tunes... distribution was the main problem. We went to a music convention in manchester tony wilson organised and pointed out in debate the ridiculous state of distribution in a small island like england... but thats another story... i think we just cant be told that what we know to be soulful isnt... bottom line! we have paid our dues big time so its a hard pill to swallow... you dont have to embrace it or what we say but credit us with knowing a soulful tune when we hear one.... then i may sleep easy tonight! :lol:

Social source share

Like i told ya i never went i went to Bradford.. They Played House and Northern Soul together.. Kinda pisses on your argument don't it..

Bit of a Red Herring this statement.

I went to Bradford regularly and never once heard any House music played in the main hall - on the odd time when I had to go downstairs to get hold of someone it could have been Bhangra, Abba or Metallica played downstairs for all I knew (and to be honest cared.).

Social source share

Guest familytree

Is this the mutaul House appreciation arse kissing society? You should be next door... :lol:

Whats next door???... yes I can appreciate his knowledge.. as ive said credit were its due

Social source share

Guest familytree

Am I? I'm quite sure I said in the other Deep House thread I wouldn't expect it and I prefer to keep my House nights and Soul nights seperate..Think I might have said something along those lines on here as well..

Yes you did... :lol: x

Social source share

you dont have to embrace it or what we say but credit us with knowing a soulful tune when we hear one.... then i may sleep easy tonight! :lol:

I've never denied that...my main gripe in the beginning was I don't want to hear House music in a soul night...of course there are soulful house records...however...again...the connection to soul music IMO is negligable in it's practical application...regardless of the producers background.

Social source share

Having very little knowledge on the genre, could someone tell me if the Jammers "What have you got to loose" and Inner Life's "This is The Moment Of My Life" would be considered early house music.

Cheers

D'Arcy

Social source share

I'm off to bed anyway...you've worn me out...night housies...and don't be playing any of that boom boom boom noise when i'm trying to get some sleep or i'll call the police out on you :lol:

Social source share

And how do you know he knows what he is talking about when you don't know what he is talking about???

:):P:yes:

Yeah, and difficult to look over the borders of your little Island too, ey?

Sometimes it's no bad thing to be in "our little island". For example, it helped protect us in the 1940's! :lol:

There is no MOS Hacienda debate cos no one apart from yaself cares..

I go where i damn well please. I go to nights not because i should be seen or because it's the place to go, i go to hear the music and to see certain Dj's or have a laugh with me mates. I couldn't give two craps what you think the MOS is or has become, it has it's place in History. One night i may go to MOS, the next night 100 club allniter.. Following week some Jazz Funk night in Ilford or shlep up North to Warrington or go to a weekender.. You know why. .Cos i can. I know my History and i know what music i like an

i don't need some jumped up plank like Pete S or some two bob wanna be Soul boy

that's taken too much exstacy telling me what Soul music is or isn't.

I've had a real good laugh at the antics on this thread, but was thinking it was quite some time since "soilJihad" last called someone a Nazi or the like. I even wondered if he was losing his touch, but after the above phrase, I see I needn't have worried. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest familytree

I've never denied that...my main gripe in the beginning was I don't want to hear House music in a soul night...of course there are soulful house records...however...again...the connection to soul music IMO is negligable in it's practical application...regardless of the producers background.

Ive forgotten what the gripe was! but Im sure i was defending house music as being soulful (the stuff we collect, have collected) whether your preference is not to hear it along side or mixed in with a 'soul night' then so be it....... BUT IT IS SOUL! and the best nights out i have are when I hear a mixture of good soul music.... cant stand the cross over two step malarky... 'i love you i lost you, your dead, i love you, no i dont etc while the dancers sway side to side singing along.........ugh, hey perhaps i need educating on that front?! tee hee x

Social source share

:):P:yes:

Sometimes it's no bad thing to be in "our little island". For example, it helped protect us in the 1940's! :lol:

I've had a real good laugh at the antics on this thread, but was thinking it was quite some time since "soilJihad" last called someone a Nazi or the like. I even wondered if he was losing his touch, but after the above phrase, I see I needn't have worried. thumbsup.gif

In the 1940s? Wasn't that the Americans?

Don't know if you ever lived in another country but the British media is very narrow minded compared to German media which gives much more insight in politics and culture of other countries. I'd say in France, Switzerland and Italy it's similar..To pull that one one out of the hat is just soo lame..and racist btw.

Social source share

Miss Schmidt shouldn't you be doing your deep soul homework :lol:

Why??? Inner Life is a Paradise Garage classic! It's early House/Disco. Produced by Leroy Burgess..Quite upbeat.

or do you mean: "WTF are you doing in this thread!? Better check out some Deep Soul tunes?"

Not sure which one you mean..

Social source share

Guest familytree

I need to sleep!... dont this site just pull you in and spit you out in the wee small hours... well 12 minutes past midnight anyway! One things for sure... we are all passiionate about soul music so there will always be a connection i guess, albeit stretched at times... gone! x

Social source share

Guest familytree

This thread has been great ! A right larf !

Got me pulling a couple of 12 inches out of the back room and having a (bad) mix (its been 10 years) with a bit of Soul and Rocksteady !!!!

Julie McKnight with Byron Stingley (Derek Carter mix) with the Skullsnaps and Jackie Mitto

If you can tell me one club on this plannet where you could get away with this sort of mix then I will blow my Lambretta up with semtex !!!

If I was buzzin on House I would hate to hear a Stafford mid tempo tune in the middle of my vibe........... and if I was grooving at the 100 club I would really not require

Frankie Knuckles on the playlist !

Thats my view !

I am entitled to it because this is a democracey !

Mossy

Just one last comment! :lol: That would be a bad D.J playing house and then a mid tempo track straight after! Its about taking us on a journey, knowing what to play with what and when to peak etc ... it can be done ive heard sets like that and Its fab if the D.J is good enough ... right Im def going to bed! night all x

Social source share

Just one last comment! :lol: That would be a bad D.J playing house and then a mid tempo track straight after! Its about taking us on a journey, knowing what to play with what and when to peak etc ... it can be done ive heard sets like that and Its fab if the D.J is good enough ... right Im def going to bed! night all x

Sorry ............. Just making a point ! I'm not DJing tonight you see ?

Just making a point !

Soul is Soul............House is House !

Social source share

Sorry ............. Just making a point ! I'm not DJing tonight you see ?

Just making a point !

Soul is Soul............House is House !

no matter how soulful the producton is ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just one last comment! :thumbsup: That would be a bad D.J playing house and then a mid tempo track straight after! Its about taking us on a journey, knowing what to play with what and when to peak etc ... it can be done ive heard sets like that and Its fab if the D.J is good enough ... right Im def going to bed! night all x

Oh ...................and that is my very point !!!!!!!!

That you have just expertly outlined !

You are enjoying House or 60s Soul ............then someone fecks with that vibe ! What then ?

Thanks for that !

Mossy

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Wish I'd never asked. I've read some ego based gubbins on here in my time but this thread takes the biscuit. Thanks to the guys who got stuff to me by PM or offlist via email, it's appreciated. Gonna close this thread now before I barf. It's just become a place for self styled 'superstars' to gob off about their self obsessed personalities. Start yer own threads. :thumbsup:

Social source share