Soulful House/garage

I thought I'd leave that one to you...you're more diplomatic... :lol:

see you nearly started a fight then :rolleyes: (jokeing!)

I've realised as i've gotten older Mark that it's not me it really is them :D

Social source share

• Replies 280
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Nik Mak

oo get you.. Listen mush you may well have been there from day one but you still know fck all about it.. Munching pills in the Hacienda doesn't make you an expert. This is 2008 times have changed. Too say House and soul are different genres is asolutely rediculous. You wouldn't have House music without Motown or PIR or all the other soul producers and artists. House music derives from Disco, when disco was a dirty word, after disco was ripped to shreds by those seeking to make a quick buck. Much the same as the pathetic sub genres of House.. Scouse, Funky, Hard, Handbag and all the other bandwagon jumping prefixes ripping the true sound and heart to bits. Without Soul you wouldn't have disco, you wouldn't have Hip Hop or Rap. It's all the same, there's more than a surname betwen Sam Cooke and Stephanie Cooke.. You my friend saw House a fad, a plaything.. It's more than that it's the continuation of what i've been into since i was 16. Real soul music. I'm sick to death of fools with their moronic opinions that know nothing of the music they're suposed to love and enjoy, saying House isn't soul, i can make that in 10mins zzzzzzz.. I can understand some one not likeing it and having their own special part of Soul music that they're really into, but don't deny the facts, don't not know you own music, at least try to understand musical evolution.

Souljihad: We haven't seen eye to eye mate but you are spot on here. BEEKS: you were on pills mate & they obviously worked cos you are so far off the mark it's laughable. learn your histroy and you will see the direct link from then to now. Great soul music didn't end in 1973 it diversified and evolved. Pity you haven't.

Social source share

Guest souldancer

I didn't hear anything more modern than crossover at Gisburn, but the idea of mixing all those genre's in one room sound fab so we'll be back again in december just in case.... :rolleyes:

Jayne.

I think in the past it probabaly depended on who the guest was Jayne..but mewithsoul Sean is one of the fastest growing House enthusiasts on the planet (just to embarrass him) lol

I've already got my request in for Dec.

see ya there

Julia

Social source share

Souljihad: We haven't seen eye to eye mate but you are spot on here. BEEKS: you were on pills mate & they obviously worked cos you are so far off the mark it's laughable. learn your histroy and you will see the direct link from then to now. Great soul music didn't end in 1973 it diversified and evolved. Pity you haven't.

Sorry if i erm came across before as a bit aggresive, i'm not really. I've just been about a lot :rolleyes:

Social source share

I think in the past it probabaly depended on who the guest was Jayne..but mewithsoul Sean is one of the fastest growing House enthusiasts on the planet (just to embarrass him) lol

I've already got my request in for Dec.

see ya there

Julia

ooh excellent!. I didn't realise that.. will try and drag gill and graham out too.

it's a 'done deal'. :rolleyes:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Sorry if i erm came across before as a bit aggresive, i'm not really. I've just been about a lot :rolleyes:

It's obvious you know your onions. I just think we spent a lot of time in different vegetable plots!LOL :lol:

Social source share

I quite like house music, I spent quite a lot of time on the plastic Manchester House scene though, so that probably makes my opinion obsolete.

I also think that some people on this thread have got a pretty high opinion of themselves and seem to enjoy telling people how stupid they are for not liking it. Yeah try and be persuasive by putting up soundfiles etc but to call somebody stupid for not liking something is stupid in itself if you ask me!

Social source share

I quite like house music, I spent quite a lot of time on the plastic Manchester House scene though, so that probably makes my opinion obsolete.

I also think that some people on this thread have got a pretty high opinion of themselves and seem to enjoy telling people how stupid they are for not liking it. Yeah try and be persuasive by putting up soundfiles etc but to call somebody stupid for not liking something is stupid in itself if you ask me!

No one said anything about any one being stupid for not liking it..

If you read what i have posted i said they're stupid for not following the music they supposedly know and love.. SOUL music. It's evolution and House music's place in it's History..

So whose stupid now.

Is Manchester the centre of the Earth or have i missed summut :rolleyes:

Social source share

Dave Moore comes on here and asks genuinely (from what I read on his first post) to be introduced to some soulful house tracks. Why do knobs that then just want to be negative and stick the boot in on a genre of music feel the need to chip in with shitey comments about how clever they think they are/were blah-de-da-de-da? Why not just leave those that can help Dave out, in his genuine search for something new, to do just that?

Why not just park the negativity and let Dave find out for himself, from those that genuinely want to and can help?

Negative bollocks. And boring negative bollocks at that.

Social source share

hahahahahaha wanker.gif

That is the most singularly, most idiotic post i've ever read in my entire life.

Hardly....but then you only joined this forum 2 years ago! :lol::rolleyes: (and by the way,before you say it, I was a member under a different name from 2004 and believe me I've read a lot more idiotic posts since then!!)

Edited by Delasoul
Social source share

It's not happening is it? As far as the Northern scene is concerned it's barely peripheral to the more modern playlists never mind the 60's crowd.

Im surprised you even got an argument as for most it's just completely irrelevant.

What do the modern boys think about it?

I would have thought if it is worth playing then it's worth getting a night together but to suggest as someone did mixing it in with Northern [60's oldies or newies?] is madness,especially on an equal footing. Im afraid it's always gonna be a sideroom for a very small niche in Black dance music.

ROD

Could we have more side rooms then please promoters. :rolleyes:

Kev

Social source share

Had a bit of rummage around musicwise now. Thanks for the PMs and emails off folk who pointed me in the direction of some of the more soulful strands of the 'house scene'. I don't think the majority of the actual music is quite up my street as it didn't blow my socks off whereas stuff as far back as The Invitations on Dynovoice right through to The Parliaments on Cabell and later has done. Couple of observation though from a house novice, probably worthless to any officianado of this particular strand of music but there ya go:

I can definitely relate to the soulful antecedence of the style of music, or at least to quite a swathe of it. But then I can also do that with the Bee Gees too via the disco boom. Don't make the actual Bee Gees soulful though does it? Billy Jackson and the Bee Gees would occupy the same podium on the charts and be tagged as the same genre of music. But only one has the soulful content. Make sense?

The references I got in relation to the likes of Drizzabone etc are, I feel, the cases of the more soulful sides of the style having a direct connotation with what I would call a more traditional soul sound. Frankie Knuckles I found was sort of middle of the road. :rolleyes: I found it very bland and lacking any punch in either direction, dancewise or soulwise. Hypnotic, but boring. Throughout my musical journey (if you can call listening to only 100 tracks a journey, although most were recommended by so called 'experts'), I kept returning to the same thought....It sounds an awful lot like revamped disco music of the 70s. Sorry if that upsets the officianados but that's what I heard and as has been pointed out by a few on this thread we've been around enough music over the last 30 odd years to reach our own conclusions.

Finally, I thought that the music was championed by DJs and NOT music collectors. (No surprise there though eh?). Nearly all the sites, forums, videos etc I chased down started with... I played this at, or this (insert any DJ) mix is..., or were in fact made by DJs. As I said at the beginning, I'm a complete novice to this music's branding but didn't feel the music stood alone. It needed the DJs to champion it and NOT the collectors/listeners. It didn't seem to have it's own niche musically like say RnB or Modern, or Northern has. It just seemed to be a mix of disco albeit a fair bit of it had a soulful connection. Now maybe when heard in a the right setting I may 'get it' more but I've always loved music that can be listened to whereever you are. That maybe an personal idiosynchrisy that

means I ain't never gonna 'get it'.

So...it may seem a negative reaction to the music but it had it's plusses. I've now a list of artists I intend listen to and I'm sure some of their material will appeal and that's broadened my personal horizons which is the box I wanted ticked.

Oh..and.....good to see that the tolerance and respect that is prevalent on the Northern secene is also alive and kicking on the housey scene too! :lol::D:lol:

Cheers Peeps!

Social source share

I've just read through this thread with mild interest and listened to the tracks. I have enjoyed several, Promised Land in particular, but those with a one minute computer generated intro do little for me.

Threads about different sub-genres are obviously meat and drink on this forum, but seldom are the exponents of a given genre as condescending and rude as those on this thread, viz:

hahahahahaha wanker.gif

That is the most singularly, most idiotic post i've ever read in my entire life.

Not the most intelligent post I've ever read!

oo get you.. Listen mush you may well have been there from day one but you still know fck all about it.. Munching pills in the Hacienda doesn't make you an expert. This is 2008 times have changed. Too say House and soul are different genres is asolutely rediculous. You wouldn't have House music without Motown or PIR or all the other soul producers and artists. House music derives from Disco, when disco was a dirty word, after disco was ripped to shreds by those seeking to make a quick buck. Much the same as the pathetic sub genres of House.. Scouse, Funky, Hard, Handbag and all the other bandwagon jumping prefixes ripping the true sound and heart to bits. Without Soul you wouldn't have disco, you wouldn't have Hip Hop or Rap. It's all the same, there's more than a surname betwen Sam Cooke and Stephanie Cooke.. You my friend saw House a fad, a plaything.. It's more than that it's the continuation of what i've been into since i was 16. Real soul music. I'm sick to death of fools with their moronic opinions that know nothing of the music they're suposed to love and enjoy, saying House isn't soul, i can make that in 10mins zzzzzzz.. I can understand some one not likeing it and having their own special part of Soul music that they're really into, but don't deny the facts, don't not know you own music, at least try to understand musical evolution.

I respect your taste in music, as you should respect that of others. However your area of taste/knowledge is no more or less legitimate than anyone else's. Most of us have our favourite musical areas but most of us content ourselves with that rather than try to "educate" and impose our taste on others!

No one said anything about any one being stupid for not liking it..

If you read what i have posted i said they're stupid for not following the music they supposedly know and love.. SOUL music. It's evolution and House music's place in it's History..

So whose stupid now.

Is Manchester the centre of the Earth or have i missed summut :rolleyes:

1. It's rather arrogant of you, IMHO, to suggest anyone is stupid because they have different areas of knowledge to you!

2. That should be "who's", rather than "whose".

3. Are you some grotesque second-coming of Ian Levine?

Social source share

Listen...you can slag me off all you like...I deal in simple facts and it all boils down to one thing

HOUSE MUSIC IS DEAD

It has been dead for several years...you think you're fooking underground Jihad?...you're not

How do I know it's dead?

For One...I worked in Record shops in Manc and watched its decline...even now...the Once Mighty Eastern Bloc records...one of the most influential record shops of house music in the UK EVER is a shell of what it once was...a powerhouse in the genre

For Two...If you started a House Night in Manchester now...not only would it fail beyond words (One of my good friends ran Robodisco one of the most successful House nights ever ran in manc and subsequently folded due to lack of numbers) But you would be laughed out of town

This isn't about fads you fookin idiot...it's about missing the boat...no scratch that...not even missing the boat...missing the point completely

You talk about Manchester not being the be all? You couldn't be more wrong...London has been latching onto the Manchester music scene for years...and by the look of the likes of you nothing has changed

House is for chavs and 18 year old crasher kids with furry boots...if you want to continue to think it has a big underground following then you are deluding yourself...if it had this big underground crowd...then where the fook are they buying their records from? Oh yeah...London :rolleyes::lol:

What a joke

Social source share

Listen...you can slag me off all you like...I deal in simple facts and it all boils down to one thing

HOUSE MUSIC IS DEAD

It has been dead for several years...you think you're fooking underground Jihad?...you're not

How do I know it's dead?

For One...I worked in Record shops in Manc and watched its decline...even now...the Once Mighty Eastern Bloc records...one of the most influential record shops of house music in the UK EVER is a shell of what it once was...a powerhouse in the genre

For Two...If you started a House Night in Manchester now...not only would it fail beyond words (One of my good friends ran Robodisco one of the most successful House nights ever ran in manc and subsequently folded due to lack of numbers) But you would be laughed out of town

This isn't about fads you fookin idiot...it's about missing the boat...no scratch that...not even missing the boat...missing the point completely

You talk about Manchester not being the be all? You couldn't be more wrong...London has been latching onto the Manchester music scene for years...and by the look of the likes of you nothing has changed

House is for chavs and 18 year old crasher kids with furry boots...if you want to continue to think it has a big underground following then you are deluding yourself...if it had this big underground crowd...then where the fook are they buying their records from? Oh yeah...London :rolleyes::lol:

What a joke

Have you heard of the Southport Weekenders?

Social source share

Guest bazrico

It has been done to death. It's just another excuse for the anti House brigade to jump up with their ill informed opinions and post utter shite.

since when as house music been part of soul ask my two children both into house and dance in their words i quote soul is soul house is house you keep to your side of the fence we keep to our's Dad unquote

Where do you find the answer to that

Social source share

Have you heard of the Southport Weekenders?

:rolleyes: I'm talking about the house scene...not weekenders thats like when I came on here and said i'd been going to scooter rallies for years

House is dead...and I have 5000+ great house records sitting in my mothers loft gathering dust which I couldn't give away to prove my point

Social source share

Of Course not...so why should the scene accept Soulful House Music...answer is...they shouldn't...If siomeone wants to listen to House Music...go to one of your *ahem* 'Underground' London Clubs and listen to it...why people feel the need to intergrate it into the Soul scene I have no idea

Beeks

I'm not sure if I know you but I'd agree that clubs like Ministry are truly aweful. Champeign sipping pick up joint for peeps with too much in them. But as a soul fan first and foremost a lot of what my radar picks up on the scanner is also 'soulful' house. Even things like Patti Labelle 'New Day', although not what I'd have describe as bangin' house back in the day, is IMO on the house slant but is also soulful to these ears by an artist I much admire.

The list of tunes I find do it for me cross a lot of styles and genres of black music. Hence I can buy a demo copy of Little Richie 'Just Another Heartache' in the same weekend as I buy Maxwell 'Lifetime' or a Joe Tex album. All are just as excellent to listen and jig about to. What concerns me is that (as I've said elsewhere) it would be fantastic to, as a punter, be offered the choice to express myself as fully as possible on one given night whether it be in the same room or not. This has happened at many a joint over the years but sadly because I'm either not hitting the right venues or summat I feel a little short changed that my expression, and dance is an expression, is not being fully addressed or catered for. It's not a BIG beef and I can cope, but as a human who loves to collect and go out and dance to soulful sounds it'd be nice to fulfill what I believe is my potential as a soul fan.

Hope this makes sense.

Kev :rolleyes:

Social source share

:rolleyes: I'm talking about the house scene...not weekenders thats like when I came on here and said i'd been going to scooter rallies for years

House is dead...and I have 5000+ great house records sitting in my mothers loft gathering dust which I couldn't give away to prove my point

I'd give her 50p for the lot (but either you or your mum would have to climb the ladder! :D )

House,sch-mouse.....(soulful,deep,whatever you want to call it....it's all rubbish (in my humble opinion! :lol: )

Social source share

Great House ?

Is this similar to Soulful House ?

What is an 18 year old crasher kid ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Of Course not...so why should the scene accept Soulful House Music...answer is...they shouldn't...If siomeone wants to listen to House Music...go to one of your *ahem* 'Underground' London Clubs and listen to it...why people feel the need to intergrate it into the Soul scene I have no idea

Beeks

I'm not sure if I know you but I'd agree that clubs like Ministry are truly aweful. Champeign sipping pick up joint for peeps with too much in them. But as a soul fan first and foremost a lot of what my radar picks up on the scanner is also 'soulful' house. Even things like Patti Labelle 'New Day', although not what I'd have describe as bangin' house back in the day, is IMO on the house slant but is also soulful to these ears by an artist I much admire.

The list of tunes I find do it for me cross a lot of styles and genres of black music. Hence I can buy a demo copy of Little Richie 'Just Another Heartache' in the same weekend as I buy Maxwell 'Lifetime' or a Joe Tex album. All are just as excellent to listen and jig about to. What concerns me is that (as I've said elsewhere) it would be fantastic to, as a punter, be offered the choice to express myself as fully as possible on one given night whether it be in the same room or not. This has happened at many a joint over the years but sadly because I'm either not hitting the right venues or summat I feel a little short changed that my expression, and dance is an expression, is not being fully addressed or catered for. It's not a BIG beef and I can cope, but as a human who loves to collect and go out and dance to soulful sounds it'd be nice to fulfill what I believe is my potential as a soul fan.

Hope this makes sense.

Kev :lol:

On that score Kev I absolutely agree...although i'm not a kid...I'm reasonably young on this scene to be open to change...I know a lot on here would turn their noses up at mixed genre nights...but on the whole I happen to like them...Beat Boutique being an example...they play across the board...Northern...Mod...Reggae..R&B etc etc and it's great...but to me that is all music that defines a generation and therefore belongs there...House music in a Soul Night doesn't sit half as nice...if I wanted to listen to BPMS then i'd go to a club which plays that music...if I want to listen to something made in the 60s likewise...just don't understand the dwindling House fraternitys need to intergrate into a scene which is completely different...the only reasoning behind it I can think of is because of what i've mentioned before...dwindling numbers...there just isn't the demand for house anymore!!

Tell you what...we can have a rule...if your club night is south of the Watford Gap go for it :rolleyes:

Social source share

Tell you what...we can have a rule...if your club night is south of the Watford Gap go for it :rolleyes:

Funny that, coz most of the good nights that have incorporated what I'd call 'soulful' house have been north of Watford and then some.

It's a London thing and I've never been on a scooter in me life!

But really even as a young un down the Casino and other clubs I frequented around the Burnley area in the mid 70's i always appreciated the new/modern sounds. Really got into em same as the Northern and oldies. Spent lots of time in the Modern room at Burnley Miners etc..

In the late 80's when I used to go to places thar played house and garage i was flabergasted. The first time I walked into a house club in Soho my teeth rattled and the strobe nearly gave me a fit. Not for me mate! Also down placws like garage City and other nights in Norwood and the like just left me cold. Too much looped vocal etc. Then in the 90's something seemed to happen. maybe it took a while for it to filter down to me but it began to sound more soulful. Production techniques (borrowed a lot from disco) and the vocals which were beginning to be allowed to flourish began to hit the spot. never looked back. still searching for the soulful ones. Just like I do with the northern. Checking dates, labels artists, producers. It's a big pond. I can understand if yoy don't like it anymore but for me the pond just gets bigger and wider. :lol:

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Guest bazrico

Beeks

Hope this makes sense.

Kev :rolleyes:

Social source share

I've just read through this thread with mild interest and listened to the tracks. I have enjoyed several, Promised Land in particular, but those with a one minute computer generated intro do little for me.

Threads about different sub-genres are obviously meat and drink on this forum, but seldom are the exponents of a given genre as condescending and rude as those on this thread, viz:

Not the most intelligent post I've ever read!

I respect your taste in music, as you should respect that of others. However your area of taste/knowledge is no more or less legitimate than anyone else's. Most of us have our favourite musical areas but most of us content ourselves with that rather than try to "educate" and impose our taste on others!

1. It's rather arrogant of you, IMHO, to suggest anyone is stupid because they have different areas of knowledge to you!

2. That should be "who's", rather than "whose".

3. Are you some grotesque second-coming of Ian Levine?

Is that the best you can do.. Who's instead of whose!!

How many times have i got to say it.. NO ONE IS KNOCKING ANYONE'S TASTE I DON'T CARE IF YOU LIKE HOUSE OR NOT. But don't tell people the music they're into isn't soul when it quite plainly is..

and yes i joined 2yrs ago but i've been lurking for longer..

Kev Moore. it's mappy by the way. How you doing fella.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

How many times have i got to say it.. NO ONE IS KNOCKING ANYONE'S TASTE I DON'T CARE IF YOU LIKE HOUSE OR NOT. But don't tell people the music they're into isn't soul when it quite plainly is..

Hey Mappy Nice to hear from you.........The debate goes on eh!

Hope your doin ok.

Kev thumbup.gif

Social source share

So House is dead is it.. It's no deader than the Northern soul scene. There's stuff going on every week and every week there's more and more music coming out.. So what if it doesn't chart. so what if the masses aint into any more so fckn what.. I don't want em to be.

I want the House scene to be full of people that are really into it. I know loads and loads of people in the mid 20's who are producing music, going clubbing and having fun doing it. Dead to you cos you wasn't really into it.

Social source share

I've had some great nights at the Ministry and no doubt will carry on having great nights. I've been going since the opening. Like any where it's a business and it has too make money... You just have to pick the right nights.

Social source share

So House is dead is it.. It's no deader than the Northern soul scene. There's stuff going on every week and every week there's more and more music coming out.. So what if it doesn't chart. so what if the masses aint into any more so fckn what.. I don't want em to be.

I want the House scene to be full of people that are really into it. I know loads and loads of people in the mid 20's who are producing music, going clubbing and having fun doing it. Dead to you cos you wasn't really into it.

Now that really is the most stupid post ever seen rolleyes.gif:thumbsup:

The whole point is...IT DOES CHART...house/dance music has never been so popular...pop into any Yates wine bar in the country and you will hear all the 'classics' perhaps instead of trying to join the Soul crowd you should get in with the Beer Monster fraternity...then you and your 20 or so underground mates can dance around in a bar instead of your bedrooms wink.gif

Social source share

I've had some great nights at the Ministry and no doubt will carry on having great nights. I've been going since the opening. Like any where it's a business and it has too make money... You just have to pick the right nights.

Now you've just blown any 'Underground' kudos you might have had before completely...Ministry is about as Underground as Hooters Bar laugh.gif:thumbsup:laugh.gif

So underground you are that ill buy you the Ministry Double CD for your Christmas...bless xx

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Hey Mappy

Lead and I'll follow. I've hit so many terrible nights in the last year or so.

Not sure bout Ministry though can't afford the water and I don't fancy going to one of those places where the bouncers shoot you. thumbup.gif

Social source share

Now you've just blown any 'Underground' kudos you might have had before completely laugh.gif:thumbsup:laugh.gif

So underground you are that ill buy you the Ministry Double CD for your Christmas...bless xx

Don't care if it's underground or not me as long as I meet decent people and the music has been through quality control.

Social source share

..House music in a Soul Night doesn't sit half as nice...if I wanted to listen to BPMS then i'd go to a club which plays that music...if I want to listen to something made in the 60s likewise...just don't understand the dwindling House fraternitys need to intergrate into a scene which is completely different...the only reasoning behind it I can think of is because of what i've mentioned before...dwindling numbers...there just isn't the demand for house anymore!!

and that's the third..

Who said the House fraternity are trying to integrate the "Soul" scene.. I've been going to Northern niters since 1979.. The House scene is quite happy doing what it does thank you very much i'd say it's the "Soul" scenes dwindling numbers and new music trying to include House into it's "scene"

How come it's all about what YOU want.. Not what the rest of the scene wants.. Strikes me your a new comer to it all that's trying to justify he's belonging to a Northern soul scene.

Social source share

Now that really is the most stupid post ever seen rolleyes.gif:thumbsup:

The whole point is...IT DOES CHART...house/dance music has never been so popular...pop into any Yates wine bar in the country and you will hear all the 'classics' perhaps instead of trying to join the Soul crowd you should get in with the Beer Monster fraternity...then you and your 20 or so underground mates can dance around in a bar instead of your bedrooms wink.gif

wtf.. When was the last time a real House track charted?? Get real it's all Pop RnB and Hip Hop your talking compete rubbish.

Social source share

I wish you'd make up your mind Jihad...so you're saying you don't want *ahem* Soulful House in Soul nights now?

Well we're in agreement then...you stick to what you 'don't' know ie. House Music and i'll continue to enjoy Soul nights without the noise :thumbsup:laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest bazrico

I'm off for me tea.

I'm off to work thank god night shift or not give me my mental health ward any day at least i know what and how to solve their issues in life

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

Hey Mappy

Lead and I'll follow. I've hit so many terrible nights in the last year or so.

Not sure bout Ministry though can't afford the water and I don't fancy going to one of those places where the bouncers shoot you. thumbup.gif

There's quite a few Kev..

I'll cross post some over..

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are incredibly happy to say we are BACK!

For a special Christmas party - Soul City is donning its christmas hat and pullin out the crackers for a night of deepness, soulful sounds, disco & boogie and all round goodness...yes indeed, the Christmas festivities start here!

Moving to a new venue to get the Soul City wagon back on the road we have a crackin line up across two rooms.

Firstly......in the bassment we have a UK deep house maestro, producer of arguably the best album of 2008 (Full Circle, if you dont already have it!) and hot off the back of his remix of Tone Control's new release...Poussez vs Demarkus Lewis "Passing Thru" (Available at https://www.kudosrecords.co.uk/tonecontrol )...we present none other than Atjazz!

Martin "Atjazz" Iveson moved from the North-East of England to the Midlands city of Derby in 1991 to take a position as in-house musician for the then fledgling video games company that went on to produce the massive 'Tomb Raider' series. Not content with sound tracking one of the world's biggest computer games, Martin's passion for music saw him set up his own studio and record label, Mantis, from which he could give a free rein to his personal music aspirations and giove other like minded producers to ability to do the same.

Mantis Recordings moved onwards building a solid yet varied catalogue of releases, and the Atjazz albums That Something, Labfunk and Labresults followed. While tracks on his debut album hinted at a particular Atjazz sound, it was the latter albums that cemented his reputation as a world class producer with a distinctive yet diverse method to his sound, and making him an in demand producer, remixer and DJ.

His brand new album 'Full Circle 'sees Atjazz working with a plethora of superb singers, songwrtiters & musicians taking his productions to another level.

As mentioned, if you dont already have it, get it from here cos its a BANGER (https://www.juno.co.uk/products/312083-1.htm)

Alongside Atjazz we have our soul city residents Matty Archer and Si Finnegan....who will supply the tunes to make us groove like no we know no others can. Expect a proper head-down session of dancing, we are ready to hit it hard!!!!

Upstairs, if that wasn't enough for you, we have the return, remarkably, of the king himself, louie.

Playing a spread of soul, boogie and disco - feast your ears on his mighty return, plus some special guests to help him through the night!!!

It's always good to be back on the dancefloor, but Soul City Christmas parties are extra special - so we look forward to catchin up with you all for a boogie.

Cheers,

Willy & Louie

Soul City Christmas

Saturday 13th December

AtJazz

Matty Archer

Si Finnegan

Louie & Friends

Embassy Bar

Essex Road, Islington"

There's quite a few nights at the Embassy Bar..

"Jisco Music Party

Friday 5th December

East Village, Shoreditch

Lounge DJs:

Mark E

David James

Sean Brosnan

In the Basement;

Mike Huckaby (Detroit)

Stuart Patterson

Roual Galloway

Tommy Bourne

Peter Goodwin (Dub Bugs)

9pm - 4am

https://www.myspace.com/jiscomusic

for guestlist mail

jiscomusic@yahoo.co.uk"

and at East Village

"It's our final party of the year, and what a way to finish it! Hosting the legendary End & AKA complex for one of their last Saturdays, we're very excited to announce a line-up platforming a great expansion of dance music. Each room will portray massive shades of great sounds from all over the world and through many decades.

Joaquin 'Joe' Claussell needs no introduction, the veteran spinner and dance music hero will be back in London playing the main room at The End for the first and last time ever. Playing with him will be Jerome Sydenham; a key figure in deep house whom made waves in New York and continues to do so in Berlin. Earlier this year Jerome produced a mix CD for us simulating exquisite modern music coming out of Europe with US influences. This will be our first party with Jerome since last October when he tore it up at the Cross!

Patrice Scott of Sistrum recordings and Keith Worthy of Aesthetic Audio are two fresh, up and coming producers straight out of Detroit USA. Their own labels and releases are ones you cannot sleep on! Certainly some of the most astounding and cutting edge deep house of today.

And what can we say about Maurice Fulton? Anyone with a keen and attuned ear to the finest and very best sounds of the past mixed in with quality deepness knows that Maurice can definitely set the dance floor alight! Very looking forward to the magic this man can spin.

To join him in the AKA we've invited London bros 'Faze Action' an outstanding recording outfit paying homage to Disco, Latin, Jazz, African and much more. With a huge array of fantastic music under their name these guys will no doubt get you going.

Our fine residents and fellow party organisers will none the less warm up these special guests to the max ensuring one of the finest nights in London this Christmas, make sure you're there with us, to say goodbye to one of the best venues in the UK, with style.

Here's a great Maurice Fulton mix to get you raring to go...

https://www.futureboogie.com/mixes/guest ... -is-coming

And also here's his Red Bull Academy lecture he did in Toronto...

https://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/vide ... the_middle"

The End is closing but they're taking the party to another club in the new year.

"Bit of a crazy they week but Metropolitan have pulled the plug on us due to complaints about noise. The council have banned them from hosting our parties due to volume constraints.

On a brighter note we have been working hard to provide a solution that not only keeps to the date that they all have in our calendars but also in the same locality of Notting Hill.

Ladies and gentleman I present soulfulbeats at the Station House. We will again be starting at 14:00 and going on to 12 midnight. Just two stops from Metropolitan we have kept things easy and I think you will agree this is also a cracking venue and very party friendly.

We once again thank you for your support and look forward to seeing you on Saturday 13th December. Please do spread the work and if you have any questions just give us a shout. Cheers, Matt.

Web Site

Station House

41 Bramley Road,

Notting Hill,

London

W10 6SZ

Tel: 020 7229 1111

Located towards the western edge of Notting Hill on Bramley road; adjacent to the Latimer road tube station (Hammersmith and City line). JUST TWO STOPS FROM THEYSTBOURNE PARK, WHERE THE METROPOLITAN IS AND EASILY ACCESSIBLE FROM KINGS CROSS.

Station House is a funky dining pub (their words not mine) that opened in the spring of 2002. Mickey and I had dinner their nice and the venue has lots of potential and a music license. The atmosphere is laid back and the style is an eclectic mix of stone mosaics, dark oak and candles. Station House serves quality Mediterranean food all day, seven days. During the warmer months the garden is open for alfresco drinking and dining. They have a licence until midnight Thursday to Saturday.

Station House use to play host to a very famous blues club for over twenty years - "Bad Bob's Blues". Among the great and good of musical talent to grace the stage: the likes of Muddy Water, the Stones and Eric Clapton. Taking heed of our musical heritage they have expanded the old stage and now have regular band nights. In the short time they have been open they have seen the established talent of Noel Gallagher, Jocelyn brown and Karen wheeler perform.

Great Food

They have an immensely talented kitchen team. Their food encompasses a European theme which includes classics such as Bangers and Mash, Salmon and Dill Fishcakes and Chicken Caesar Salad. They have five or six daily specials which utilise the freshest seasonal produce available from the market. All their food is freshly prepared.

The secret garden has been redesigned for 2006. With new Pavilions, York stone paving, new planting and a designer lighting scheme, this venue provides a unique location both for Notting Hill and Central London.

They have increased the size by over 40% and now have the biggest and without doubt the best garden in central London with a capacity for over 300 people outside. This spring sees the launch of our new Private terrace with its own private outside bar. The terrace is available for all private functions and has a capacity of 120 or the whole venue can be hired for functions up to 500.

For those who are planning to attend multiple parties on Saturday 13th I have provided 2 x PDF documents that you can open and print off for ease, directions and timings.

soulcity Journey time 1 hr 09 minutes if staying until end of the party.

Need2soul Journey time 44 minutes if staying until the end of the party.

Best option would be to book a cab and group together, which would be cheaper (telephone numbers to follow). Hope this has been some assistance, especially for our friends from Spain"

Soulful beats is my fav. You get people from all over the country. There's also Plastic People in Shoreditch that has nights on every week.

These are just in London.. There's nights like Development in Manchester.. Nights in Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Leeds, Durham, Darlington, Southampton. Playing decent House with a good mixture of ages and realy friendly.

Social source share

I thought the contention was that soulful house isn't Northern Soul? It's not. Citing two tracks by Drizabone as Northern doesn't help either. They're not.

ROD

Social source share

I wish you'd make up your mind Jihad...so you're saying you don't want *ahem* Soulful House in Soul nights now?

Well we're in agreement then...you stick to what you 'don't' know ie. House Music and i'll continue to enjoy Soul nights without the noise :thumbsup:laugh.gif

You are mad aint cha.. I never said anything of the sort.. I said i don't care if it does or not i go to plenty of places where i can hear decent music.. It's your "soul" scenes loss not mine wacko.gif

Social source share

I thought the contention was that soulful house isn't Northern Soul? It's not. Citing two tracks by Drizabone as Northern doesn't help either. They're not.

ROD

Your as mad as Beeks is..

Social source share

Your as mad as Beeks is..

Says the guy who quotes The Ministry of Sound...quite possibly the biggest dance club and commercial dance enterprise in the UK as part of an Underground scene laugh.gif

Social source share

Says the guy who quotes The Ministry of Sound...quite possibly the biggest dance club and commercial dance enterprise in the UK as part of an Underground scene laugh.gif

Once again your talking rubbish.. I never said any such thing. I said i'd had some great nights there and will do again...

Resorting to lying won't get you any where.

Social source share