• Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest familytree

Hi Familytree

Nice sound any more

Plenty more!... that julie Mcknight one is live obviously... a party i wish i was at but she was fab at southport too... god i should be plastering the kitchen not searchin youtube! x

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Plenty more!... that julie Mcknight one is live obviously... a party i wish i was at but she was fab at southport too... god i should be plastering the kitchen not searchin youtube! x

You search youtube i'll get plastered in your kitchen lol

Social source share

Guest familytree

You search youtube i'll get plastered in your kitchen lol

Ha Ha.. deal! ... do you know why one of my links would bring up the video and the next just the link to it???... I have a back log waiting to upload... think there is only you listening mind, for which I am grateful along with the offer to plaster my kitchen. :thumbup:

Social source share

Ha Ha.. deal! ... do you know why one of my links would bring up the video and the next just the link to it???... I have a back log waiting to upload... think there is only you listening mind, for which I am grateful along with the offer to plaster my kitchen. :(

When you post up youtube clips just hit the reply button & then click on the 'insert youtube - google' box on the left of the page then just copy & paste the link.

I'm listening as well but just not getting involved as done it countless times in the past & you guy's are more than standing your ground anyway :thumbup:

One final request - Can ask members to post clips up via the refosoul feature & NOT as downloadable mp3's as stated in the site rules. Thanks.

Social source share

Schmidt... Kenny Dope...Todd Terry et al were hardly 'I got a whistle and i'm off my tits' are they?! They were Pioneers of deep house

Lets face it...noone is going to put on a house record...make a brew and sit down for a relaxing music listening session...it's purely going out tackle and to be honest i'd rather leave it to the kids :thumbup:

errrrm. i was in the deep house scene in germany and everyone was in their late 20s and 30s. no drugs and a love for soul and disco. think in london there are places where its no different and the cielo in NY is also populated by an older crowd. actually lots of deep house is very relaxed and downbeat. I know that kenny and todd arent "whistle rave"..just saying that adidas tracksuits and funny hats were a manchester thing whilst in USA the ravers looked like that. i listen to Timmy regisford mixes when I have a cup of tea :(

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

Dave, a few vocal house oldies, if you can track them down.

Hunter Hayes "it's not over"

New Blakk Society "just another lonely day"

Urban Soul "Alright"

Joi Carwell "goodbye" (victor simonelli mix)

Sha-lor "I'm in love"

Subculture "the voyage"

I wouldn't necessarily call any of them "soulful house", but they are all house records "with soul". I love house music- the real deal stuff, Larry Heard, Bobby Konders, Juan Atkins etc etc because it was a fresh, exciting new music.... stuff like the Mr Fingers stuff on Trax sounded like it had come from outer space the first time round! Unfortunately, most of what gets termed "soulful house", including most of what is listed in this thread is formulaic, lyrically poor and dull. I can really sympathise with dyed in the wool soulies who are comparing say, that MAW mix of Kenny Latimore with the Masqueraders and not getting it.

And Pete, I reckon Nito Deluxe is house...... and what a record too! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest familytree

Don't ask awkward questions you :lol::thumbup::(:D

I have all the same thoughts but why bother!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Ha, hi Mr Randle!.... so you dont partake in a good old fashioned punch ups then? perhaps i will stop bothering too one day soon.

hope you had a good birthday and didnt dance too fast anywhere! could cause a nose bleed x

Social source share

Urban Soul "Alright"

Sha-lor "I'm in love"

Subculture "the voyage"

I wouldn't necessarily call any of them "soulful house", but they are all house records "with soul". I love house music- the real deal stuff, Larry Heard, Bobby Konders, Juan Atkins etc etc because it was a fresh, exciting new music.... stuff like the Mr Fingers stuff on Trax sounded like it had come from outer space the first time round! Unfortunately, most of what gets termed "soulful house", including most of what is listed in this thread is formulaic, lyrically poor and dull. I can really sympathise with dyed in the wool soulies who are comparing say, that MAW mix of Kenny Latimore with the Masqueraders and not getting it.

And Pete, I reckon Nito Deluxe is house...... and what a record too! :thumbup:

Ohh, somebody knows his House! Bobby Konders was so great before he turned to reggae!

Happy records brought some amazing tunes out. Davina-Don't you want it for example.

Some of the new House mentioned here is awfully cheesy..lacks deepness. Pah! Posted all before. I'm outta here and back to my favorite thread. "Ballads". (no House involved)

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

Ohh, somebody knows his House! Bobby Konders was so great before he turned to reggae!

Happy records brought some amazing tunes out. Davina-Don't you want it for example.

Some of the new House mentioned here is awfully cheesy..lacks deepness. Pah! Posted all before. I'm outta here and back to my favorite thread. "Ballads". (no House involved)

"let there be house" Miss Schmidt! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest familytree

errrrm. i was in the deep house scene in germany and everyone was in their late 20s and 30s. no drugs and a love for soul and disco. think in london there are places where its no different and the cielo in NY is also populated by an older crowd. actually lots of deep house is very relaxed and downbeat. I know that kenny and todd arent "whistle rave"..just saying that adidas tracksuits and funny hats were a manchester thing whilst in USA the ravers looked like that. i listen to Timmy regisford mixes when I have a cup of tea :thumbup:

Good choice with a brew Miss Schmidt! and your right about the Manchester/northern dress code at the time for the majority of rave heads... nice to see you again x

Social source share

Is it worth bothering Tony????

Cheers,

Mark R

Don't ask awkward questions you :D:D:lol::lol:

I have all the same thoughts but why bother!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Twice you've said that Mark :thumbup:

You know you're dying to jump in so get it off ya chest mate :yes:

See you over christmas fella :(

(forgot how good that Mark Grant sounded)

Social source share

Guest familytree

Urban Soul "Alright"

Sha-lor "I'm in love"

Subculture "the voyage"

And Pete, I reckon Nito Deluxe is house...... and what a record too! thumbsup.gif

I hope yor not refering to anything ive put up?!... GRRRR! I was being very selective/careful in my choices so as not to scare the natives!..and trying to prove that there are equally nice SOULFUL tunes out there with great lyrics. Larry is a friend of mine and hes a genius credited for inventing 'house' music (though he would argue that on a few points) but he is far too inovative for the novices in here to appreciate.

Social source share

Guest familytree

When you post up youtube clips just hit the reply button & then click on the 'insert youtube - google' box on the left of the page then just copy & paste the link.

I'm listening as well but just not getting involved as done it countless times in the past & you guy's are more than standing your ground anyway thumbsup.gif

One final request - Can ask members to post clips up via the refosoul feature & NOT as downloadable mp3's as stated in the site rules. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice re uploading... not sure what you mean about using refosoul... am i doing it wrong then??.. sorry if so and will try to work it out next time. so this old chestnut rears its head a lot on here?... ooh i feel foolish to have taken the bait! :lol: though i do like a bit of fish. x

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

I hope yor not refering to anything ive put up?!... GRRRR! I was being very selective/careful in my choices so as not to scare the natives!..and trying to prove that there are equally nice SOULFUL tunes out there with great lyrics. Larry is a friend of mine and hes a genius credited for inventing 'house' music (though he would argue that on a few points) but he is far too inovative for the novices in here to appreciate.

You can't knock Joe Smooth- an all time classic, the gospel track is new to me.... good, but hardly a house record and Julie McKnight is ok, although to be fair I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't think it's a classic. Obviously, this is only my opinion! biggrin.gif

As for Larry Heard, the man is the master. No question. I wouldn't suggest things like "washing machine" and "distant planet" but there are records of his that could quite easily be recommended to the soulies on here..... the new blakk society record that I've listed and the Mr White one from a couple of years back both spring to mind.

Social source share

Guest familytree

You can't knock Joe Smooth- an all time classic, the gospel track is new to me.... good, but hardly a house record and Julie McKnight is ok, although to be fair I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't think it's a classic. Obviously, this is only my opinion! biggrin.gif

As for Larry Heard, the man is the master. No question. I wouldn't suggest things like "washing machine" and "distant planet" but there are records of his that could quite easily be recommended to the soulies on here..... the new blakk society record that I've listed and the Mr White one from a couple of years back both spring to mind.

Dont mind hearing anyones 'informed' opinion and you sound well informed so I respect what you say. 'Deeper love' is one of my all time favs... but again I think if we are trying to make the initial point and convert the ????? (dont know what to call them?) then think its best to play it a little safe? saying that im getting the distinct feeling after peoples advice that anything we suggest will fall on deaf ears! I have a theory that they 'protesteth too much' so love it really but never collected it so feel inadequate?... just a theory mind... shall i get that bath?! x

Social source share

Larry Heard is the MAN! loving this one here

"> Edited by Miss Schmidt
Social source share

Guest TonyCrampton

biggrin.gif

You can't knock Joe Smooth- an all time classic, the gospel track is new to me.... good, but hardly a house record and Julie McKnight is ok, although to be fair I think I'm the only person in the world that doesn't think it's a classic. Obviously, this is only my opinion! :lol:

Balderdash!!!

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

Dont mind hearing anyones 'informed' opinion and you sound well informed so I respect what you say. 'Deeper love' is one of my all time favs... but again I think if we are trying to make the initial point and convert the ????? (dont know what to call them?) then think its best to play it a little safe? saying that im getting the distinct feeling after peoples advice that anything we suggest will fall on deaf ears! I have a theory that they 'protesteth too much' so love it really but never collected it so feel inadequate?... just a theory mind... shall i get that bath?! x

I think you are right regarding playing it safe Familytree and Promised Land is a fantastic example of a top drawer soul filled record that is immediately appealing and has lyrics that aren't just "lift me up/ lift him up/ get lifted". I reckon you might need to have a long soak in the bath though as far as your second comment goes! laugh.gif

I think the resistance to a lot of the house stuff in britain is borne out of the original acid house scene. Up to that point the soul boys owned the underground music scene. All of a sudden there was this alternative and you were either with it or you weren't. Those that weren't just discounted the music that went with the scene as tuneless nonsense and this has become the entrenched viewpoint of many soulboys ever since.

Social source share

Thanks for the advice re uploading... not sure what you mean about using refosoul... am i doing it wrong then??.. sorry if so and will try to work it out next time. so this old chestnut rears its head a lot on here?... ooh i feel foolish to have taken the bait! huh.gif though i do like a bit of fish. x

Refosoul's for uploading soundclips so folks don't post mp3's.

Sure you'll get your head round it when you need to & there's plenty of guides for uploading in the site forum. Some nice clips in there to browse round from all era's & genre's.

Don't worry about taking the bait, keeps things interesting.

Social source share

Deep in conversation on Friday Night about the sameness of some of the newer records that were being played nowadays. Lack of strings, productions that lack a little finesse and basically how hard it is to find the next Mel Britt etc. In between jigging about to Andy Fisher, Bottom and Co, and a few others that contradicted this 'theory" biggrin.gif , the conversation came round to soulful house/garage to wit I have to admit I am not fully conversant with said genre so kept mi trap shut. On reading a thread this morning up pops the same conversation. So...let's be having yer then. Could someone post 5 'top notch' soulful house/garage tracks that they reckon will blow my socks off as was claimed on Friday. (Quote: "Proper tracks Dave will blow yer socks off"). I've got mi best socks on and wait in anticipation.

It's a serious request as always up for sumat different, provided that key element is present: QUALITY.

I love funky and soulful house, spent years in Global Grooves listening to and buying 12 inches. And learnig to mix.

Starwberry Sundae ..............Happy Jax.........Garlands.........The Chunnel etc.................etc......in the 90s

But House is House (NO MATTER HOW SOULFUL) .... And 60s Soul is 60s Soul..............and Modern Soul is Modern

Soul............and RnB is RnB...........and Ska is Ska............Garage is Garage etc etc ............

Would you drop Kurt Harris or George Pepp in the middle of a funky house set ? No you definatley would NOT !

"A night of House and Northern Soul" - I dont think either side are ready yet !

And thats my view !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I love funky and soulful house, spent years in Global Grooves listening to and buying 12 inches. And learnig to mix.

Starwberry Sundae ..............Happy Jax.........Garlands.........The Chunnel etc.................etc......in the 90s

But House is House (NO MATTER HOW SOULFUL) .... And 60s Soul is 60s Soul..............and Modern Soul is Modern

Soul............and RnB is RnB...........and Ska is Ska............Garage is Garage etc etc ............

Would you drop Kurt Harris or George Pepp in the middle of a funky house set ? No you definatley would NOT !

"A night of House and Northern Soul" - I dont think either side are ready yet !

And thats my view !

Hmm the dreaded F word.

Go see Danny Krivit he plays everything. So does Mancuso..

Social source share

Mossy I was in Global Grooves all the time...knew the owner Ian really well...my mate Phat Phil Cooper worked behind the counter there for years :thumbsup:

Was one of the first house music record shops in the area and bar making the trip to Manchester to Eastern Block (lived in North Wales at the time) it was my main source for buying vinyl :lol:

PS I agree completely...House is House, Soul is Soul...two completely different mediums and personally i'd hate to see them both on the same night

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

PS I agree completely...House is House, Soul is Soul...two completely different mediums and personally i'd hate to see them both on the same night

I think it could be interesting to mix the two... :thumbsup:

I'll get me coat!.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest souldancer

The opposite for me..I would be very happy to see them side by side. If you love Northern and Soulful House and enjoy dancing to them both...then why is it such a big deal?

It's a great feeling to switch between the two on a dancefloor...the old and the new... Soulful Dance music... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Steve Lehair

but surely the 2 are starting to mix look at stoke last to niters have been great in both rooms and lots of peeps wondering between the 2 rooms.

and all bein well when middleton moves to its new home soon we will get the same happenin there.,and i will allways say that the only way to get the younger ones in to even experience N Soul is to have a modern "housey" room

Social source share

and all bein well when middleton moves to its new home soon we will get the same happenin there.

I fookin hope not...judging by the last one...Middleton is doing great as it is

As for attracting young ones...that's the biggest myth ever...what you think all kids have no taste? Not everyone under the age of 30 is into house music! Let Soul Nights continue as they are...if you want a house night there is always Ministry of Sound or Sankey Soaps in Manchester...we don't want House music infecting the Soul Scene and if it starts happening I will be the biggest Soul Snob this website has ever seen...they are completely different...it's like saying...

"Lets start a Disco night and hey...we can have a backroom playing Death Metal"

Shouldn't happen...hopefully won't happen

Social source share

Guest souldancer

but surely the 2 are starting to mix look at stoke last to niters have been great in both rooms and lots of peeps wondering between the 2 rooms.

and all bein well when middleton moves to its new home soon we will get the same happenin there.,and i will allways say that the only way to get the younger ones in to even experience N Soul is to have a modern "housey" room

That is all really positive and similar nights have been happening hear and there for some time now also..but it's the "One room of Soul" I would like too see.... a Soulful House tune played next to a Crossover next to a Northern..and not having to wander from room to room. All things being equal I believe that is where the scene should be at this stage.

I really hope there are other venues doing this but as far as I'm aware Gisburn is as near as it gets and I love it there.

Julia

Social source share

House music belongs exactly where it is...in the past...Manchester left it behind years ago...now...Soul scene aside...we have here some of the most innovative club nights in the country...broken beats/hip hop/funk/rare groove nights of the highest quality can be found here and apart from nights like Electric Chair (who played a smattering of house) it is now a dance music wasteland and I thank god for the forward thinkers of this rainy city that it is...

Social source share

I fookin hope not...judging by the last one...Middleton is doing great as it is

As for attracting young ones...that's the biggest myth ever...what you think all kids have no taste? Not everyone under the age of 30 is into house music! Let Soul Nights continue as they are...if you want a house night there is always Ministry of Sound or Sankey Soaps in Manchester...we don't want House music infecting the Soul Scene and if it starts happening I will be the biggest Soul Snob this website has ever seen...they are completely different...it's like saying...

"Lets start a Disco night and hey...we can have a backroom playing Death Metal"

Shouldn't happen...hopefully won't happen

Mate, you clearly lost track of the deep house scene. most people in it are over 30. i know maybe 2 kids who got a decent taste in house music..I love house but when I hear Ministry of Sound I want to throw up. there is a few underground clubs in london that play house and disco but yeah, you're right, there is no scene in the uk apart from london. its more a global underground community. check out maurice fulton mixes or darshan jesrahni. guys like that keep the spirit alive and sankeys soap can f*** off!

Oh and who is "we"??? you mean yourself and you can't speak for others can ya..and btw in "Pump up the Volume" a connection between Northern and House is made..people from the Northern scene speak about it. Who is interested can watch the whole series on youtube.

Edited by Miss Schmidt
Social source share

Mate, you clearly lost track of the deep house scene. most people in it are over 30. i know maybe 2 kids who got a decent taste in house music..I love house but when I hear Ministry of Sound I want to throw up. there is a few underground clubs in london that play house and disco but yeah, you're right, there is no scene in the uk apart from london. its more a global underground community. check out maurice fulton mixes or darshan jesrahni. guys like that keep the spirit alive and sankeys soap can f*** off!

Oh and who is "we"??? you mean yourself and you can't speak for others can ya..and btw in "Pump up the Volume" a connection between Northern and House is made..people from the Northern scene speak about it. Who is interested can watch the whole series on youtube.

I understand your point...but it's something I grew out of many years ago and no matter what you put in front of me I can guarantee you I won't like it...and its not like I don't know what you're talking about either...I grew up on Frankie Knuckles...all i'm saying is in my opinion 'Never the twain should meet' they are completely different genres...as it stands you have your Northern Rooms coupled with say...a modern soul room...or say...an R&B room...to me this is acceptable because they all fell off the same tree...

Personally I very much doubt that it will creep into the Soul Scene as there is not enough demand in the UK these days as you have well pointed out...but please don't call it underground...it is the most commercial monster of all time...underground was 1988 and Blackburn...even before that with the Early Chicago/Detroit sounds The Jack Trax stuff...DJ International Records etc etc...Frankie Knuckles 'Your Love' was 1985...now that really was underground

Social source share

That is all really positive and similar nights have been happening hear and there for some time now also..but it's the "One room of Soul" I would like too see.... a Soulful House tune played next to a Crossover next to a Northern..and not having to wander from room to room. All things being equal I believe that is where the scene should be at this stage.

I really hope there are other venues doing this but as far as I'm aware Gisburn is as near as it gets and I love it there.

Julia

I didn't hear anything more modern than crossover at Gisburn, but the idea of mixing all those genre's in one room sound fab so we'll be back again in december just in case.... :huh:

I take it i'm the only person who liked that track Juno records put out last year that heavily sampled (or re-mixed depending how you look at it) J J Barnes - Please come home ?.. (Apart from Jamie Taylor who I heard playing it first) A great vocal and an interesting dance track put together.. ph34r.gif

Jayne.

Social source share

'Never the twain should meet' they are completely different genres...as it stands you have your Northern Rooms coupled with say...a modern soul room...or say...an R&B room...to me this is acceptable because they all fell off the same tree...

So let me get this right..........in your opinion mid-tempo modern soul fell off the same tree as Northern, but soulful house didn't!!

Define "falling off the same tree" (do you mean scene wise/music wise etc) before I decide whether I disagree or not please!

From your comments in general, and whilst I wouldn't suggest house mixes with Northern, I would propose that your attitude to this is counter-productive to the evolution of a balanced contemporary soulful black music scene. I hope your point of view doesn't sway too many to your way of thinking...........a horrible thought from my perspective sad.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

hahahahahaha wanker.gif

That is the most singularly, most idiotic post i've ever read in my entire life.

Social source share

It's not happening is it? As far as the Northern scene is concerned it's barely peripheral to the more modern playlists never mind the 60's crowd.

Im surprised you even got an argument as for most it's just completely irrelevant.

What do the modern boys think about it?

I would have thought if it is worth playing then it's worth getting a night together but to suggest as someone did mixing it in with Northern [60's oldies or newies?] is madness,especially on an equal footing. Im afraid it's always gonna be a sideroom for a very small niche in Black dance music.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

So let me get this right..........in your opinion mid-tempo modern soul fell off the same tree as Northern, but soulful house didn't!!

Define "falling off the same tree" (do you mean scene wise/music wise etc) before I decide whether I disagree or not please!

From your comments in general, and whilst I wouldn't suggest house mixes with Northern, I would propose that your attitude to this is counter-productive to the evolution of a balanced contemporary soulful black music scene. I hope your point of view doesn't sway too many to your way of thinking...........a horrible thought from my perspective sad.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Meh if you want to be pedantic you could claim every music genre out there derived from Black American Music...House is no different...but it has fallen so far away from the tree as to be unrecognisable...even in the early days as I have mentioned...and the discovery of the 303 drum machines etc...could you really equate the sound of then to anything at all? It was a totally new and raw sound and as far removed from Soul music as anything...obviously over the years it has been polished up...producers and artists influenced by Soul have put their own expression into it and i'm not saying that there are not House music records that have a soul slant to them...far from it...the point i'm trying to get across is that House Music has no place in a Soul night because as I have mentioned before House and Soul have been running on completely different rail tracks...no matter what these House Music lovers on here say...House music fans are from another planet compared to Soul music fans for one reason...ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GENRE! So you think that because say...an Artist like Slum Village who make Soulful Hip-Hop should be accepted into the Soul Scene and perhaps we should have a Soulful Hip Hop room at nighters too?

Of Course not...so why should the scene accept Soulful House Music...answer is...they shouldn't...If siomeone wants to listen to House Music...go to one of your *ahem* 'Underground' London Clubs and listen to it...why people feel the need to intergrate it into the Soul scene I have no idea

Social source share

Meh if you want to be pedantic you could claim every music genre out there derived from Black American Music...House is no different...but it has fallen so far away from the tree as to be unrecognisable...even in the early days as I have mentioned...and the discovery of the 303 drum machines etc...could you really equate the sound of then to anything at all? It was a totally new and raw sound and as far removed from Soul music as anything...obviously over the years it has been polished up...producers and artists influenced by Soul have put their own expression into it and i'm not saying that there are not House music records that have a soul slant to them...far from it...the point i'm trying to get across is that House Music has no place in a Soul night because as I have mentioned before House and Soul have been running on completely different rail tracks...no matter what these House Music lovers on here say...House music fans are from another planet compared to Soul music fans for one reason...ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GENRE! So you think that because say...an Artist like Slum Village who make Soulful Hip-Hop should be accepted into the Soul Scene and perhaps we should have a Soulful Hip Hop room at nighters too?

Of Course not...so why should the scene accept Soulful House Music...answer is...they shouldn't...If siomeone wants to listen to House Music...go to one of your *ahem* 'Underground' London Clubs and listen to it...why people feel the need to intergrate it into the Soul scene I have no idea

And that's the second.

Social source share

hahahahahaha wanker.gif

That is the most singularly, most idiotic post i've ever read in my entire life.

Listen...talk till you're blue in the face about Soul...but don't talk to me about House music...I was there in the beginning mate...the very beginning...ie Pre you jumping on the bandwagon :huh:rolleyes.gif

Social source share

the point i'm trying to get across is that House Music has no place in a Soul night because as I have mentioned before House and Soul have been running on completely different rail tracks...no matter what these House Music lovers on here say...House music fans are from another planet compared to Soul music fans for one reason...ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GENRE! So you think that because say...an Artist like Slum Village who make Soulful Hip-Hop should be accepted into the Soul Scene and perhaps we should have a Soulful Hip Hop room at nighters too?

not necessarily a whole room of any different genre but why not mix it up? I still don't understand..

The biggest weekender in the country (arguably) The Hilton@ Blackpool. You get northern, motown, modern soul, crossover, some reggae influenced soul, jazzy grooves, soulful dance, and if someone told me there was a soulful hip hop spot happening, I would imagine it would be fall right into place. I've no idea if there is or isn't but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if there was. I've probably missed a bit too...

It is the best weekender of the year for me and the best and biggest mix of soul music I can think of at any UK weekender.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Listen...talk till you're blue in the face about Soul...but don't talk to me about House music...I was there in the beginning mate...the very beginning...ie Pre you jumping on the bandwagon :lol::rolleyes:

oo get you.. Listen mush you may well have been there from day one but you still know fck all about it.. Munching pills in the Hacienda doesn't make you an expert. This is 2008 times have changed. Too say House and soul are different genres is asolutely rediculous. You wouldn't have House music without Motown or PIR or all the other soul producers and artists. House music derives from Disco, when disco was a dirty word, after disco was ripped to shreds by those seeking to make a quick buck. Much the same as the pathetic sub genres of House.. Scouse, Funky, Hard, Handbag and all the other bandwagon jumping prefixes ripping the true sound and heart to bits. Without Soul you wouldn't have disco, you wouldn't have Hip Hop or Rap. It's all the same, there's more than a surname betwen Sam Cooke and Stephanie Cooke.. You my friend saw House a fad, a plaything.. It's more than that it's the continuation of what i've been into since i was 16. Real soul music. I'm sick to death of fools with their moronic opinions that know nothing of the music they're suposed to love and enjoy, saying House isn't soul, i can make that in 10mins zzzzzzz.. I can understand some one not likeing it and having their own special part of Soul music that they're really into, but don't deny the facts, don't not know you own music, at least try to understand musical evolution.

Social source share

and why on Earth not...

Julia tell him. :rolleyes:

My point is Tone, that I don't feel it's my place from the outside looking in (NS wise) propose it should be played......I actually think that in a whole load of respects it's exactly like the Northern ethos but as I'm not "on" the NS, I'm less inclined to push it on them.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

oo get you.. Listen mush you may well have been there from day one but you still know fck all about it.. Munching pills in the Hacienda doesn't make you an expert. This is 2008 times have changed. Too say House and soul are different genres is asolutely rediculous. You wouldn't have House music without Motown or PIR or all the other soul producers and artists. House music derives from Disco, when disco was a dirty word, after disco was ripped to shreds by those seeking to make a quick buck. Much the same as the pathetic sub genres of House.. Scouse, Funky, Hard, Handbag and all the other bandwagon jumping prefixes ripping the true sound and heart to bits. Without Soul you wouldn't have disco, you wouldn't have Hip Hop or Rap. It's all the same, there's more than a surname betwen Sam Cooke and Stephanie Cooke.. You my friend saw House a fad, a plaything.. It's more than that it's the continuation of what i've been into since i was 16. Real soul music. I'm sick to death of fools with their moronic opinions that know nothing of the music they're suposed to love and enjoy, saying House isn't soul, i can make that in 10mins zzzzzzz.. I can understand some one not likeing it and having their own special part of Soul music that they're really into, but don't deny the facts, don't not know you own music, at least try to understand musical evolution.

Brilliant Tony.....spot on for me!! As you say, it's interesting listening to the comments of those who are "soul" fans explaing their views......are you a soul fan or a fan of a "scene"?.....it's different!!

So often I read this stuff and think to myself that just cos folks have been into whatever since year dot, don't make them qualified to tell me what's soul and what's not!! I'm very forthright in that view these days.....I feel I've listened to enough music to make that decision for myself!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

My point is Tone, that I don't feel it's my place from the outside looking in (NS wise) propose it should be played......I actually think that in a whole load of respects it's exactly like the Northern ethos but as I'm not "on" the NS, I'm less inclined to push it on them.

Cheers,

Mark R

Sorry Mark twas a private joke between me and Julia.. I was mixing House records out of Northern Soul records on the radio a couple of weeks back. :rolleyes:

Are we on the outside looking in though. I still consider myself too be a Northern Soul fan, i still consider what i'm into to be Northern Soul. I went to a Northen night a couple of months back and they played Drizabone pressure and Real Love. 2 records that i and plenty of others were behind as new releases, now 20yrs later being accepted. I can't understand the mentality.

Social source share