Bigsoulman

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This is indeed one awesome album! :thumbsup:

Yes Joe & Jim - It was most certainly released!

I have the UK Motown copy.

No doubt Mr Hampsey will say his piece on this topic, as it was he who made me aware of it, not all that long after it's release.

Tell me a lie Mot 6000 (1982)

Right in the middle,

Either way we lose,

Suspicions,

You seen one you seen 'em all,

I heard it through the grapevine,

Tell me a lie, I like it I like that,

Before I even know your name,

I can't stop,

If I were your woman

Fave tracks for me include the title track, "Right in the middle" & "I can't stop"

Isn't it funny how these types of recordings never really got the acclaim they deserved when first released?

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

This is indeed one awesome album! :thumbsup:

Yes Joe & Jim - It was most certainly released!

I have the UK Motown copy.

No doubt Mr Hampsey will say his piece on this topic, as it was he who made me aware of it, not all that long after it's release.

Tell me a lie Mot 6000 (1982)

Right in the middle,

Either way we lose,

Suspicions,

You seen one you seen 'em all,

I heard it through the grapevine,

Tell me a lie, I like it I like that,

Before I even know your name,

I can't stop,

If I were your woman

Fave tracks for me include the title track, "Right in the middle" & "I can't stop"

Both of these tracks received uk releases on 45. Over the years i've had UK & PORTUGESE issues of the album

Derek

Isn't it funny how these types of recordings never really got the acclaim they deserved when first released?

Social source share

My copies a demo - was it issued?

I'm sure it was issued - I'll check when I get home. I got mine from a shop in Lincoln on its release - usually sold the odd Jazz / Funk things above a clothes shop, but often picked up the odd soul release (can remember picking up Womack, Jean Carn, Al Johnson et al there).

Social source share

Reason is, John , soul music effectively had become a dead music/art form within a couple of years of this release.

Not totally dead and buried of course, because the older artists and artists in the existing soul tradition have kept the flame burning (well ... flickering anyway) thankfully.

But as a living , breathing , evolving art form , as THE dominant black music form, soul music was dead by the mid 80's.

I've urged people many times on Soul Source to read US critic Nelson George's book "The Death of Rhythm and Blues" to see exactly how this slow death process had been in the making in the US music industry for over a decade.

The commercial failure of this very LP was almost an inevitable legacy of this process.

Also, I think the company's promotion for this record was pretty light :D

Edited by Philippe
Social source share

1982. My copy is white DJ, too. Are there US "normal" copies ?

tell-me-a-lie-album.jpg

Mine's a bog standard blue US issue.

According to the sleeve notes, recorded in Nashville - Muscle Shoals Horns boys appear to drop in for the Sam Dees penned 'Right in the Middle'.

Thanks for bringing this up - forgot all about this album. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert