An American Dealer's Choice Of Wording

Guest Malc Burton

There is a U.S. dealer - ARISDISC , from Grands Rapids , Michigan , who is current selling on eBay , with the stated phrase / wording below , in his sales promotion blurb ........

" All of my records are guaranteed original pressings "

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There is a U.S. dealer - ARISDISC , from Grands Rapids , Michigan , who is current selling on eBay , with the stated phrase / wording below , in his sales promotion blurb ........

Malc Burton

Same as me Malc all my pressings are originals.....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

When I started collecting the term pressing was the term used for bootlegs,never used it meself,boots is boots and pressings are records either originals,re issues or counterfeits if ya see what I mean,going to work now,on a Sunday yagh! :ohmy:

That is what I was attempting to get at - the difference between one person's / country's terminology , and the interpration of it here in the UK , based on the original usage of / for the word / phrase on the soul scene ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

When I used to go to 'Nighters back in the 70s illegal copies were always called pressings - bootlegs were never mentioned. According to Wikipedia there are several different types of illegal record issues:

Bootlegs: Bootlegging is trafficking in recordings that the record companies have not commercially released , typically live concerts or studio out-takes or acetates.

Piracy: Piracy is the illegal copying/sale of recordings that are (or have been) available commercially or are planned/scheduled for commercial release.

Counterfeits: Counterfeits attempt to mimic the look of officially released product; pirate releases do not necessarily do so, possibly substituting cover art or creating new compilations of a group's released songs. A counterfeit is always a pirate but a pirate is not necessarily a counterfeit.

Therefore most of the 'bootlegs' on the Northern scene are actually pirates or counterfeits.

'Pressings' are most likely legal second issues made with the permission of the copyright owner.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

When I started collecting the term pressing was the term used for bootlegs,never used it meself,boots is boots and pressings are records either originals,re issues or counterfeits if ya see what I mean,going to work now,on a Sunday yagh! :thumbsup:

I feel for you going to work so that you buy more records to play at Bangor on friday lol hope to be there

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

I've been collecting for 30 years and all that time I've been hearing the word "pressing" in the context of how a record was issued - ex. "the red label pressing, the small print pressing, etc."

Dave Moore has broken my habit of using that word to describe an original record. In the US, a boot is a boot or a repro.

-J.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

For once, it's US that's in the wrong!

(by "US", I mean "we over here", not to be confused with U.S., ie. "those over there"....) :thumbsup::lol::lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

not just a US/UK difference - i've only ever heard the word 'pressing' used to mean 'repress' in the Northern Soul scene.

It's really just another mealy-mouthed attempt to give illegal 'pressings', (ie. dirty rotton bootlegs) some measure of respectabilty. Typical British hypocrisy!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Malc Burton

When selling a record and putting in the description "West Coast issue from the Monarch Pressing Plant" guarantees it the kiss of death............. :thumbsup:

Chris L

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert