Mello Souls

Stubbsy

Don't know whether this has been done before (if it has apologies) but, as such a great very rare record, can anyone give me any further information/history, i.e.

when, where discovered?

by whom?

how many known copies in existence?

where first played at?

and who else besides Butch has got em?

IMO top record on the scene today :shades:

Social source share

• Replies 87
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't know whether this has been done before (if it has apologies) but, as such a great very rare record, can anyone give me any further information/history, i.e.

when, where discovered?

by whom?

how many known copies in existence?

where first played at?

and who else besides Butch has got em?

IMO top record on the scene today :shades:

Stubbsy, first played by Butch covered up as the Del-Larks..."just you and I". First played cica 85/86.....Covered up for at least 10 years. I know of 2 other copies Kitch and Kenny B. There may be another 1/2?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Wilmington, Delaware owned by James Chavis, or at least a connection to his labels, the Mello Souls had a release on Chavis/Candi as Joan says it's on here somewhere, Chalky will know.

steve green has met the lead singer

Social source share

Wilmington, Delaware owned by James Chavis, or at least a connection to his labels, the Mello Souls had a release on Chavis/Candi as Joan says it's on here somewhere, Chalky will know.

The Candi release is

Silus Phifer & Mellow Fellows - Gotta Find My Baby - Candi 1023

b/w

Edwin Johnson & Mellow Fellows - You Gave Me Love - Candi 1023

It's not very good, especially compared to We Can Make It. Sound files are in refosoul somewhere as I've posted 'em before.

steve green has met the lead singer

He was in a home, Silus Phifer.

The lyrics for We Can Make It are on the site somewhere, Simon T posted 'em when he was Hippo, anyone find 'em???

Social source share

Is it just me or does antbody else find the record a bit of a mess really?

The intro is great but then I think the tune goes all over the place - the vocal harmonies are just not there - bit of an "Emperors New Clothes" record to me - rarity over quality IMHO.

Social source share

The intro is great but then I think the tune goes all over the place - the vocal harmonies are just not there - bit of an "Emperors New Clothes" record to me - rarity over quality IMHO.

I think I know what you mean about the messy aspects, but it is a fantastically atmospheric track, perfect for a banging all nighter. Pure adrenalin.

Social source share

Why do you have to have harmonies, and are you sayings its a rough record or a rough recording you have listened to cause you never hear it played out.

I think its perfection and sounds just like the Del-Larks. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agree with you. I do like it, but it's not a favourite of mine and it is very messy probably because of the bad production.

Social source share

Messy. The only messy bit is the same old bad sound file that is punted around, I have listened to Kitche's copy out and its a different experience.

Oh don't start, the whole track is messy, like somene said, listen to the Impressions then listen to this and tell me if it's not messy. I'm not saying thats a bad thing, blimey listen to something like Ton Of Dynamite, the whole things is a mess but it's brilliant.

Social source share

Pretty sure there was some talk about this a while ago.

Can't be arsed looking for it though

There definitely was and as said I'm sure Simon T had a scan of the label. Gold with black lettering.

never tire of hearing it, goose bump intro, drum rolls and horns to die for with one of if not the best sax solo break, I think someone mentioned it being a bit messy, I can see their point but when it comes down to brass tacks IMHO that adds to the appeal, soul is about the feeling, and theres plenty of that here, and not the quality of the vocal arrangement, although Impressions fans (and I am one of them) will probably dispute that, used to look forward to the weekend when I knew I was going to hear it somewhere down the country.

Kev

Spotterty spot on! :thumbsup:

arsenal.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Without doubt one of the most aggressive soul onslaughts known to man. Utterly awesome record and scruffy vocals and arrangement too which all adds to the charm imho. When the second vocal comes in its game over.

Perhaps rivalled in viciousness only by Little Stanley on Vance?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

IMHO the greatest record to surface over the last 20 odd years, might be putting my balls in the vice but its a topic that does come up often so its no throw away statement. I am a big lover of the group sound and this record has the lot, never tire of hearing it, goose bump intro, drum rolls and horns to die for with one of if not the best sax solo break, I think someone mentioned it being a bit messy, I can see their point but when it comes down to brass tacks IMHO that adds to the appeal, soul is about the feeling, and theres plenty of that here, and not the quality of the vocal arrangement, although Impressions fans (and I am one of them) will probably dispute that, used to look forward to the weekend when I knew I was going to hear it somewhere down the country.

Kev

I agree with you Kev :thumbsup: - when I first heard it I was like woaaaaaah ohmy.gif

When you hear a record like this for the first time makes you realise why you got into soul in the first place.

One of the reasons I'll, hopefully, be at The 100 Club this Saturday keeping my fingers crossed that Butch will spin it!

Social source share

For me the recording sounds live and most of the time that's what they were trying to achieve.

Anyone know what the B-sides like.

....or sounds "live" cos they didn't have enough money to cover studio time - hence one take,as in so many soul records.

Social source share

....or sounds "live" cos they didn't have enough money to cover studio time - hence one take,as in so many soul records.
Good point Kev, we should also take into consideration that at the time Black music in general wasn,t accepted by the large majority in the U.S.A so consequently most of the music we love was aimed at the black community with the artists aspiring hopefully for a local hit, hence giving it that honest, raw and recordrd in a tin can appeal which gives it that special ingredient that I asume we all love.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert