The Best Two New To You 60's/70's

Guest SteveJohnston

Guest SteveJohnston

After last Friday at Grantham my outlook of the rare soul scene as changed somewhat! The quality of music was to blame for changing in how I felt about the future of the soul night scene I now believe it has one.

When I go to a soul night you never expect to hear a lot of new to you records but on Friday there was many! The likes of:-

Tut Sutton "I can feel the tears"

Answers "thinking of you"

Idols "check her out",

The fantastic Sharon McMann "got to find another guy"

And many more I can't remember the name of after a few :D

So I was thinking about the best new tracks I had the pleasure of listening to this year the two for me are from last Friday.

60's

Tut Sutton "I can feel the tears" played by John Manship at the last "out on the floor again" on Friday was the best new to me N/Soul track this year bar none.

70's

A track that Soul Sam played for the first time out at the same venue that will have the 70's crowd doing cartwheels!

Four Coins" maybe she's right" very new to me and many more I think.

This is one fantastic track, how the hell Sam keeps turning tracks up like this I will never know but long may it continue.

So get posting the two new to you this year 60's & 70's tracks lets see the total quality tracks that are out there beeing played by the DJ's.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

60's

Big Tim & The Empires - Your Turn To Be Blue - acetate

70's

Roy Roberts - So Much In Love - Sugar

Big Tim is the one Butch plays? Brilliant it is, as is the Roy Roberts, known aboiut the Roy Roberts a while as they came from Andy Dyson.

Andy Dyson's Herb Johnson cover up, great R&B/Northern.

Dave Thorley's Arthur Prysock If I Were A Boy.

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

Joe Jama - My Life, cos I hadn't actually heard it til 3 months ago

kinnel pete you need to get out more,its been played to death over the last four years

Social source share

Superlatives - Is it cos Im Black c/up

Voices Inc - Thinkin' Again c/up

Bob Collins & the Mighty Ryders - Emotion c/up

Roy Roberts on Sugar (Had this for a few years now but only heard it played out this year).

& loads more too, been a good year for new stuff I think certainly my small circle of friends seems to be turning up cheaper lesser known stuff almost constantly it seems............long may it continue...........newies rule ok :unsure: .

Russ

Social source share

Not been anywhere venue wise since May due to new business venture and football so I'm a little out of touch with current play's...lol however that should change really soon, without question two tracks taken from the 1966 Capitol 'Little Willie John' David Axelrod and HB Barnum session's which never came out at the time are just about as good as it get's for me, storming Northern in your face with an R'n'B tinge/flava, 'Country Girl' aka 'Home At Last' and the superb 'Early In The Morning' been playing these two stunning tracks on the show in recent weeks and I'm sure someone must be playing them out and about? if not there is something very wrong as such tracks are begging to be Played, authentic recordings in the style we all love.

Message to Mr Croasdell.........If you are working on any further Kent Select 45's then these two belters would make for a very nice double header indeed.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

After last Friday at Grantham my outlook of the rare soul scene as changed somewhat! The quality of music was to blame for changing in how I felt about the future of the soul night scene I now believe it has one.

When I go to a soul night you never expect to hear a lot of new to you records but on Friday there was many! The likes of:-

Tut Sutton "I can feel the tears"

Answers "thinking of you"

Idols "check her out",

And many more I can't remember the name of after a few :rolleyes:

So I was thinking about the best new tracks I had the pleasure of listening to this year the two for me are from last Friday.

60's

Tut Sutton "I can feel the tears" played by John Manship at the last "out on the floor again" on Friday was the best new to me N/Soul track this year bar none.

70's

A track that Soul Sam played for the first time out at the same venue that will have the 70's crowd doing cartwheels!

Four Coins" maybe she's right" very new to me and many more I think.

This is one fantastic track, how the hell Sam keeps turning tracks up like this I will never know but long may it continue.

So get posting the two new to you this year 60's & 70's tracks lets see the total quality tracks that are out there beeing played by the DJ's.

Steve J

The Idols is in fact an Old Gary Spencer C/U Soul Brothers Six Check it out.Got to agree its a great tune and a rare one on the USA Label

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Joe Jama - My Life, cos I hadn't actually heard it til 3 months ago

pete,.....in the nicest possible way .........YOU'RE HAVIN A LAUGH :ohmy::rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

DEWY BLACK..TAKE LOVE UPTEMPO GRITTY R&B/SOUL

ROY ROBERTS

JACKIE DAY GET TA STEPPIN

for those that think newly discovered stuff ain't as good as ya classics.......then never mind you'll get over it :lol::rolleyes::ohmy:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Steve J

Val Palmer spin at the 100 Club back in the 8Ts and a London spin at Capitol/ TOS/ Scenesville etc - fabulous tune and great bit of Detroit :ohmy:

For me this year, it's been Lloyd Price - Oh Lady Luck on Monument (not to be confused with his earlier and very similar title 'Lady Luck') and The Sensations ft Yvonne Baker 'It's good enough for me' on Junior - thanks to Alan H for that....can't wait to hear what 2009 brings :-) Top cheapie (thanks to Den @ Willington) was The Imagination 'Love Diet' on 20th Century - I'll be there with my note book jotting down his superb selection @ Willington this year on 27th December :rolleyes:

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

DEWY BLACK..TAKE LOVE UPTEMPO GRITTY R&B/SOUL

ROY ROBERTS

JACKIE DAY GET TA STEPPIN

for those that think newly discovered stuff ain't as good as ya classics.......then never mind you'll get over it :P:ohmy::lol:

would go with the jackie day too....ginger played it at bridgewater saturday....up there with naughty boy,how come the two best jackie day are the two rarest ??....why were they unreleased or rare as rocking horse shit ! what was wrong with people in the 60s ?? :rolleyes::(

Social source share

would go with the jackie day too....ginger played it at bridgewater saturday....up there with naughty boy,how come the two best jackie day are the two rarest ??....why were they unreleased or rare as rocking horse shit ! what was wrong with people in the 60s ?? ohmy.gifwink.gif

Naughty Boy is sh*t

Social source share

Guest thenogger

PETE-S,

" THE NAUGHTY BOY " - JACKIE DAYE is the worst record i have ever heard. When i hear it i feel like being sick. I CALL IT A LOAD OF C R A P.

But that is my opinion, some people love it (THAT IS LIFE)

REGARDS

" thenogger "

Social source share

OK thanks mate, been to hospital this morning but just for a bit of physio, they are all pleased with her progress

thumbsup.gif Great news.. We wish you well

Paul And Kerry

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert