Ian Levine's Best Seller

Guest soulmaguk

I thought you'd watched SWONS, Dave.

She's on it, talking all about "You Didn't Say A Word".

Reference my earlier post - Now that is one lady I would like to see , singing of course "YNSAW " .......

My face is now as red as the colour used to highlight the above song .......

I had forgotten about SWONS : I shall now stand in the corner , wrist slapped .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 134
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sorry, that's why I asked. Have you any personal contact with her? I would love to try and get her on stage somewhere. Any help you could give would be appreciated. I've been unsuccessful twice in Philly in trying to convince people it would be worth while.

She refused to sing any more for anybody.

That's why we interviewed her.

She had no problem talking, but utterly refused to sing.

Neil Rushton offered her a fortune to perform but she just didn't wanna know.

Social source share

Edward Hamilton was another one.

He wanted to do it, and was charming at first, but being a devout Muslim, he went to his Mosque leader to ask permission, and got told he must not sing for the white man under any circumstances WHATSOEVER, as it was the devil's work.

It takes all sorts..........

Social source share

Well said : I echo your statement .........

Malc Burton

I've got millions more stories.

The argument in a restaurant between Marv Johnson and Carolyn Crawford.

The way the Contours behaved when Billy Gordon got out of jail.

How Kim Weston sobered Wanda Rogers up.

How George Kerr behaved.

How greedy Al Wilson's manager became.

The problems with Johnnie Mae Matthews.

Theresa Lindsay throwing her headphones on the floor in a fit of pique because she hated "I'll Bet You".

Bobby Sheen's luxury "pad".

David Ruffin's attempt to steal $3000.

How Roger Hatcher called the FBI and the CIA on a friend of mine because he wanted fifty thousand dollars in royalties.

How Nina Simone tried to cut a certain record executive's throat with a very large carving knife.

How Frances Nero punched me in the stomach in the studio.

How angry Mary Wells got when she realised Herman Griffin was coming into the studio.

There are tons of them.

I ought to write a book someday.

Social source share

How George Kerr behaved.

Theresa Lindsay throwing her headphones on the floor in a fit of pique because she hated "I'll Bet You".

How Roger Hatcher called the FBI and the CIA on a friend of mine because he wanted fifty thousand dollars in royalties.

How Nina Simone tried to cut a certain record executive's throat with a very large carving knife.

How angry Mary Wells got when she realised Herman Griffin was coming into the studio.

There are tons of them.

Mouth watering is not the word to describe the above : I will be first in line at your book signing if you do .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

How George Kerr behaved.

There are tons of them.

I love reading about this stuff.

A while ago I started a thread entiled Will The Real Simon Sousan Stand Up as all I remember from being a teenager was this name that was around and how this guy was somesort of villain with almost mythical status even then. Some of the stories from Ian Dewhurst were excellent and whilst not everyone who posted on the thread remembered SS in any fond way at all, it is all part of the scene's history etc. I'm sure you have loads of stories to tell from your time on the scene/in the buisness.

You should write a book Ian but in the meantime give us a few snippets!! :g:

KTF.

Drew.

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

Hi Ian,

Just a quickie,

Who is the male singer on the Originals/Supremes - Back By Popular Demand:

2nd verse " Ferris wheel ride..."

What a great voice.

I can hear CP Spencer at the end.

Thanks

P smile.gif

That's Hank Dixon. The same guy who sang on "Down To Love Town"

Social source share

Pinnacle Records went bust today.

That means Wienerworld won't get a penny for any of the "Northern Soul's 200 greatest Floorfillers" that they have sold to date.

That means Passion Music won't get a penny for any sales of "Northern Soul 2008"

The same applies to every release on Expansion.

Plus with Woolworths going bust, their distribution arm, EUK, will no longer get stock into any record shops like HMV.

So apart from Sony/BMG, Warner Bros, Universal, and EMI, the rest of us now have ZERO chance of putting any records out at all.

If any of you haven't bought "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" yet, or even SWONS, I suggest you snap them up now off Amazon before they disappear altogether, for a long period.

WHAT A BLEEDIN' MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

That means Wienerworld won't get a penny for any of the "Northern Soul's 200 greatest Floorfillers" that they have sold to date.

That means Passion Music won't get a penny for any sales of "Northern Soul 2008"

Plus with Woolworths going bust, their distribution arm, EUK, will no longer get stock into any record shops like HMV.

So apart from Sony/BMG, Warner Bros, Universal, and EMI, the rest of us now have ZERO chance of putting any records out at all.

If any of you haven't bought "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers" yet, or even SWONS, I suggest you snap them up now off Amazon before they disappear altogether, for a long period.

:thumbup:sad.gif tops off a rubbish day!

Jayne.x

Social source share

Can I intrest you with a small pub in Wales !

or an industrial T printing shirt shop in Deeside ?

Would you like to swap places with a bricklayer from Flintshire at the moment ?

Or a worker on the production line at Vauxhall or JCB ?

No ?

This credit crunch (reccession) is affecting most familys now !!!!

most (90 percent) of working people are now all well deep into owing money !

Debt is great if you can afford to pay Debt, but I feel there are many who wont be able to now ?

So a DVD or a 45 is nothing compared to the roof over your head is it !

I hope you manage to cut straight with your product !

But these are begining to be really hard times now !

Real people loosing real Jobs !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

But these are begining to be really hard times now !

Real people loosing real Jobs !

So does that mean that people whose profession it is to make records, aren't REAL people ???

Social source share

So does that mean that people whose profession it is to make records, aren't REAL people ???

Not in any way, I feel for anyone who is loosing at this shit time

The workers in the shops - the artists , producers etc....... the point I was trying to make - is that stuff like buying Clothes and Tunes when you have no work is just not important

And up here in Wales now we are loosing 100s of Jobs everyday and its happening to people I know every day, with Houses and Kids etc

Its very distressing, and the fact that Woolworths in our town is closing just aint important to the community when 600 jobs at Vauxhall, 200 at JCB, are going this week

with 1000s more positions gone or going very soon.

Good luck with your stuff and I hope you find a new way of getting your music out on the shelfs

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Question for Ian

Recently heard the K Klass remix of Footsteps - Francis Nero, which I like.

I also like the original which I think was one of yours

How does that remix work in practice - you agree a sum with them & hand over the masters?

Does the artist have any say or input on the remix?

Col.

Social source share

Following checking their website for availabilty and price , I went into my local Tesco superstore a week ago , to order TWO sets of

" NSGTHGFF " , to give as Christmas presents ........

Upon requesting the said sets . I was told that they - despite the website stating delivery would be 3 to 4 working days - had been told not to take orders , as a distribution problem had arisen , and they could not guarantee / confirm a delivery date .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Question for Ian

Recently heard the K Klass remix of Footsteps - Francis Nero, which I like.

I also like the original which I think was one of yours

How does that remix work in practice - you agree a sum with them & hand over the masters?

Does the artist have any say or input on the remix?

Col.

No the artist has no say - just the copyright owner, which is my company.

I wrote and produced the original.

Neil Rushton licensed it to do a remix - I hated the remix but it wasn't made for me it was made for the dance market.

In 2004, Footsteps was used as the theme for the European Cup, not the vocals, just the brass intro. Got played every day during the half times.

I wrote the song with Motown legend Ivy Jo Hunter.

Social source share

Following checking their website for availabilty and price , I went into my local Tesco superstore a week ago , to order TWO sets of

Upon requesting the said sets . I was told that they - despite the website stating delivery would be 3 to 4 working days - had been told not to take orders , as a distribution problem had arisen , and they could not guarantee / confirm a delivery date .......

Malc Burton

It's both better and cheaper, not to mention SAFER, to buy it from Amazon or Wienerworld themselves.

Social source share

It's both better and cheaper, not to mention SAFER, to buy it from Amazon or Wienerworld themselves.

In respect of your reply to my posting earlier ( to which is reproduced below ) , I feel that you did not fully comprehend what I was making a point about , and to which I am offering my defence in respect of your above statement , for doing so ..........

The first part of my posting read as follows :

A ) The reason for my checking the Tesco website was to compare prices - I am a Yorkshireman

B ) The Tesco price was £24.90 - something - competitive with Amazon

C ) Delivery was stated ( at the time ) as being 3 to 4 working days - competitive with Amazon - I work less than a mile from the Tesco superstore , so I could / would have collected the two sets on my way home , which for me , is more convinient , as there is no one at home to accept delivery of any items during the day , and because of this , it results in parcels / packages having to be collected from The Royal Mail main depot , which for me , a 20 mile round trip

Dictionary definition of SAFE - out of danger : not involving risk : protected : sure : reliable : trustworthy . I am sure these terms can be applied to the Tesco organisation .........

The second part of my posting read as follows :

Upon requesting the said sets . I was told that they - despite the website stating delivery would be 3 to 4 working days - had been told not to take orders , as a distribution problem had arisen , and they could not guarantee / confirm a delivery date .........

I was simply pointing out that in respect of being informed that a distribution / supply problem for the product had arisen to Tesco , I assumed - I stress the word assumed - that Tesco may source " Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers " via Pinnacle , and that my not being able to order it , could have arisen due to the impending demise of the said company ........

Just as a postscript to the above in respect of prices ........

WH Smith are offering " Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers " at £27.43 ( RRP £34.29 Saving £6.86 - 20% )

Not as competitive in price as Amazon or Tesco , possibly due to them not being a " safe " option to buy from ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest bazrico

Not in any way, I feel for anyone who is loosing at this shit time

The workers in the shops - the artists , producers etc....... the point I was trying to make - is that stuff like buying Clothes and Tunes when you have no work is just not important

And up here in Wales now we are loosing 100s of Jobs everyday and its happening to people I know every day, with Houses and Kids etc

Its very distressing, and the fact that Woolworths in our town is closing just aint important to the community when 600 jobs at Vauxhall, 200 at JCB, are going this week

with 1000s more positions gone or going very soon.

Good luck with your stuff and I hope you find a new way of getting your music out on the shelfs

don't forget you guys who put on soul nights alldayers punters will find it hard to travel so this shit will bite into your pockets

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Malc Burton

Try Asda

Social source share

Try Asda

My nearest one is 10 miles away , and it is like the opening scene from " Saving Private Ryan " everyday , so despite the prices being attractive , I avoid it like the plague ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

B ) The Tesco price was £24.90 - something - competitive with Amazon

Malc Burton

I hadn't realised they could do it so cheap.

I was only suggesting "safer" because, with Pinnacle going bust, we're all worried sick about people not being able to get it in time for Christmas, so if they do want to make sure they get it either in time for Christmas or as a Christmas present for someone, then either Amazon or Wienerworld seem to me to be a safe bet as far as being sure of getting it in time, because Tescos and Asdas are supplied by either Pinnacle who has gone bust, or EUK who have also gone bust.

Social source share

My nearest one is 10 miles away , and it is like the opening scene from " Saving Private Ryan " everyday , so despite the prices being attractive , I avoid it like the plague ........

Malc Burton

What, an old bloke running through a cemetry at Colleville Sur Mer ?

Mind you the way it is going shops are heading that way :o)

Mike

Social source share

What, an old bloke running through a cemetry at Colleville Sur Mer ?

Mind you the way it is going shops are heading that way :o)

Mike

:thumbsup:

I could picture it now : making haste the best I could , with clenched buttocks , in case I did a sold trump from being scared out of my mind .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I was only suggesting "safer" because, with Pinnacle going bust, we're all worried sick about people not being able to get it in time for Christmas, so if they do want to make sure they get it either in time for Christmas or as a Christmas present for someone, then either Amazon or Wienerworld seem to me to be a safe bet as far as being sure of getting it in time, because Tescos and Asdas are supplied by either Pinnacle who has gone bust, or EUK who have also gone bust.

That is what I assumed Ian , when Tesco could not order them for me : I have since ordered - and received them - from Amazon ..........

PM with the current sales figures for the set if you will .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Just had a call from Ralph Tee saying that he's been hearing all kinds of things about rumours that Expansion/Passion are going bust because of the collapse of the Pinnacle Distribution company, and also because of it the Hilton Weekender won't be going ahead.

I've been asked to state that any rumours to this effect are categorically not true and although it hasn't been Passion Music/Expansion's best week, the collapse of Pinnacle Distribution won't affect the running of Expansion/Passion Music and the company are still in business and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Any Passion Music/Expansion stock can be ordered directly from Passion Music - their phone number is 0208 867 9361 or if anyone needs confirmation as to what's happening, then Ralph's asked me to give out his direct email which is ralph@expansion-records.co.uk

It also goes without saying that the Hilton Weekender will not be affected in any way by the collapse of Pinnacle Distribution and will be going ahead as planned.

Social source share

Just had a call from Ralph Tee saying that he's been hearing all kinds of things about rumours that Expansion/Passion are going bust because of the collapse of the Pinnacle Distribution company, and also because of it the Hilton Weekender won't be going ahead.

I've been asked to state that any rumours to this effect are categorically not true and although it hasn't been Passion Music/Expansion's best week, the collapse of Pinnacle Distribution won't affect the running of Expansion/Passion Music and the company are still in business and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Any Passion Music/Expansion stock can be ordered directly from Passion Music - their phone number is 0208 867 9361 or if anyone needs confirmation as to what's happening, then Ralph's asked me to give out his direct email which is ralph@expansion-records.co.uk

It also goes without saying that the Hilton Weekender will not be affected in any way by the collapse of Pinnacle Distribution and will be going ahead as planned.

Indeed, but we still won't get paid for any pittance of a trickle of sales we've had anyway, as if times weren't already hard enough.

Social source share

====

dont forget you also get CLUBCARD points too at Tesco!!!

Social source share

====

dont forget you also get CLUBCARD points too at Tesco!!!

I would have got them , if they had been able to order the two sets for me :lol: .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

WOW - WOW - WOW

Look what I just discovered on YouTube.

All I have ever seen before was a forty second clip of it, but here it is in all its glory.

THIS IS FOR EVERYONE who EVER went to Blackpool Mecca in 1976, and as it's being pulled down next month, watching this and remembering people like Les Cokell seems particularly poignant.

">
Social source share

WOW - WOW - WOW

All I have ever seen before was a forty second clip of it, but here it is in all its glory.

THIS IS FOR EVERYONE who EVER went to Blackpool Mecca in 1976, and as it's being pulled down next month, watching this and remembering people like Les Cokell seems particularly poignant.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

WOW - WOW - WOW

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest souldancer

1976 seems so long ago , more than the actual 32 years : but good times , extremely good times .........

This is where I lose my credibility in some eyes - I loved the album when it came out , and still do : " IPTF " and " Chercez Le Femme " ( clip below ) , will always be favourites of mine - despite what the " critics " said . or will still say about them - they are excellent recordings ........

Malc Burton

Have to agree with all of that..

Dr Buzzard broke down musical barriers and has stood the test of time..the good ones always do. Don't bother about credibility ..it's being openminded as we were even in 1976.

Julia

Social source share

Have to agree with all of that..

Dr Buzzard broke down musical barriers and has stood the test of time..the good ones always do. Don't bother about credibility ..it's being openminded as we were even in 1976.

Julia

Just as The Carstairs stood for The Mecca in 1974, so Doctor Buzzard epitomised it in 1976.

That song in particular got played every hour. Hard to put it into context now, as it's just so different to anything that would now get played on the Northern Soul Scene. It was also THE anthem at The Ritz.

Social source share

Just as The Carstairs stood for The Mecca in 1974, so Doctor Buzzard epitomised it in 1976.

That song in particular got played every hour. Hard to put it into context now, as it's just so different to anything that would now get played on the Northern Soul Scene. It was also THE anthem at The Ritz.

Yeah, but the Northern thread is there with Charlie Calello, Sandy Linzer and Denny Randell involved........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Actually, in all fairness, a job to someone working at Woolworths is just as important to them, as a different job is to a car worker.

You can't prioritise peoples' jobs.

Those of us who make records are no less important to any community than those who make cars.

That's almost insulting. In fact I take offence at that. It's like saying some workers are more important than others.

George Orwell parodied that in Animal Farm.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Those of us who make records are no less important to any community than those who make cars.

That depends on what sort of car you are making.

Do you continue a great tradition and put something together that will add value to the community or produce a cheesey rehash to cash in on past glories with a terrible engine that will poison the air of the community it's going to be driven around in?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

The Vonettes

Hi Ian. Are those the original members of the Vonettes? The spectropop interview with Sandi Sheldon says it's just Sandy and Van McCoy and a misprint of the "Vanettes" but I've also seen a promo photo of the "vonettes" with 3 girls and now I'm seeing your video. If they are original members on record, do you know the names of the other two members? Here is the spectropop interview:

https://www.spectropop.com/SandiSheldon/index.htm

thanks,

Bib

Social source share

WOW - WOW - WOW

">

Social source share

Hi Ian. Are those the original members of the Vonettes? The spectropop interview with Sandi Sheldon says it's just Sandy and Van McCoy and a misprint of the "Vanettes" but I've also seen a promo photo of the "vonettes" with 3 girls and now I'm seeing your video. If they are original members on record, do you know the names of the other two members? Here is the spectropop interview:

https://www.spectropop.com/SandiSheldon/index.htm

thanks,

Bib

Kendra said it was just her and a couple of session singers who changed by the week.

As long as we had the proper lead singer, it didn't matter who the other two were. Same as Martha Reeves thinks she can do with The Vandellas. She has even had white ones.

Social source share

That depends on what sort of car you are making.

Do you continue a great tradition or produce a cheese rehash to cash in on past glories?

Sad. So sad.

I really pity you.

Kev Roberts thought you were improving, and slowly getting better, but the depth of your malaise seems incurable to me.

You have my deepest sympathies.

Social source share

Kendra said it was just her and a couple of session singers who changed by the week.

As long as we had the proper lead singer, it didn't matter who the other two were. Same as Martha Reeves thinks she can do with The Vandellas. She has even had white ones.

Thanks for the info.

Social source share