The Spy - Guys From Uncle

Guest brianhorton

Guest brianhorton

I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD QUESTION, BUT CANT REMEMBER WHO PLAYED THIS FIRST, I REMEMBER IT BEING BIG AT WIGAN IN THE EARLY YEARS AND BUYING IT ON THR U.K SWAN ? IMPRINT, BUT WAS IT EVER A LEGITAMITATE RELEASE BACK IN THE DAY, IF NOT WHERE DID IT COME FROM.

Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Uk Swan was via Global and they picked it up from Swan with Modern Redcaps "Never Too Young" (US SWAN 4243) out here on UK Swan & Jaywalkers (US SWAN 4266) "Can't Live Without You" out here on UK Cream.

It has a US release number, SWAN 4240 though I don't have one (got the US Jaywalkers only from the three).

All of the above 1966 releases.

It was essentialy the guys from MFSB, I seem to recall, as were many Philly Instrumentals which later became quite big this side of the pond.

Sean

Social source share

Uk Swan was via Global and they picked it up from Swan with Modern Redcaps "Never Too Young" (US SWAN 4243) out here on UK Swan & Jaywalkers (US SWAN 4266) "Can't Live Without You" out here on UK Cream.

It has a US release number, SWAN 4240 though I don't have one (got the US Jaywalkers only from the three).

All of the above 1966 releases.

It was essentialy the guys from MFSB, I seem to recall, as were many Philly Instrumentals which later became quite big this side of the pond.

Sean

Swan # 4240 - The Guys from U.N.C.L.E. " The Spy " / " Jammin'' ( 1966 )

You are right Sean : Global , as part of the distribution / contractural deal for the three records , had to use the original U.S. Swan release numbers ( TGFU - 4240 , TMR - 4243 amd TJ - 4266 ) , and it was insisted that the labels had to be a faithful reproduction of the U.S. original .

In respect of the U.K. releases having " Promotion Copy " on them , TGFU had it on the label , but TMR did not ( see below ) : As for TJ , I cannot recall whether it did or did not - possibly Roger ( 45celler ) can help .......

There was also another release in the U.S. from TGFU - " I Will Love You " , on Swan # 4228 , dated 1965 : All the listings I have , or have seen , for this record list it as having the same title on both sides : It could be interesting , but on the other hand , it could be pants ......

One release on Swan , was # 4034 - Jackie Lee " Happy Vacation " / " The Hucklebuck " ( 1959 ) : is this the same JL ? .........

Swan Records trivia ........

The U.S. label bears the message " Don't drop out " - this was put on the label to encourage kids to stay in school ..........

Malc Burton

post-5097-1227420954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

No - it did come out in the US. I don't have one that's all.

The UK issues, incidentally, use the US Swan Number and, I seem to think that on the label they all say 'Promotion Copy'.

Sean

Here we are, certainly released in the US Originally then Label copied for UK release as already mentioned by Sean & Malc.

Swan_S-4240-T_DJ.gifSwan_S-4240-T_UK.gif

Swan_S-4243-N_DJ.gifSwan_S-4243-N_UK.gif

Sorry I can't help with The Jaywalkers as I don't own a Copy.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Here we are, certainly released in the US Originally then Label copied for UK release as already mentioned by Sean & Malc.

Swan_S-4240-T_DJ.gifSwan_S-4240-T_UK.gif

Swan_S-4243-N_DJ.gifSwan_S-4243-N_UK.gif

What puzzles me Roger , is that the label for TGFU UK releases is - as was insisted / dictated to Global by Swan - a more or less direct reproduction of the US original , but TMR is not ........

I am unsure , but I seem to recall that The Jaywalkers was issued on Cream as opposed to Swan , due to Swan terminating the contract and taking back the master , resulting in Global having to press the record from a US issue copy ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

What puzzles me Roger , is that the label for TGFU UK releases is - as was insisted / dictated to Global by Swan - a more or less direct reproduction of the US original , but TMR is not ........

I am unsure , but I seem to recall that The Jaywalkers was issued on Cream as opposed to Swan , due to Swan terminating the contract and taking back the master , resulting in Global having to press the record from a US issue copy ......

Malc Burton

I see what you mean, I do remember buying these, however not sure about The Jaywalkers, I will try to find out..

Regarding "The Guys From Uncle":

Has anyone seen a US STOCK COPY or did it only reach Promotional Stage.

Social source share

I see what you mean, I do remember buying these, however not sure about The Jaywalkers, I will try to find out..

Regarding "The Guys From Uncle":

Has anyone seen a US STOCK COPY or did it only reach Promotional Stage.

I have only seen / come across promo copies Roger , but that does not mean there are no stock copies somewhere ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Thanks Malc

Can't say that I remember seeing one, but as we know and you point out, could be some out there, somewhere.

If there are Roger , I would imagine that the price for one d be an interesting one : what is the going rate for the promo ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

I'll let SmudgeSmith tell the story how he stole my copy from Soul Bowl in 1975 :wicked:

I hope you can substansiate that statement Mr donnelly , and it is not simply an accusation and slur on Mr Smurf's character :sleep3: .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

If there are Roger , I would imagine that the price for one d be an interesting one : what is the going rate for the promo ?

Malc Burton

Now there's a thing, I'm sort of answering my own question here.

Just had a look in the 3rd Edition Price Guide. Obviously Now Up To 5th Edition.

£50 DEMO

£100 Stock Copy :wicked:

So it does Exist, Totally Gobsmacked, never, ever seen one.

Social source share

Now there's a thing, I'm sort of answering my own question here.

Just had a look in the 3rd Edition Price Guide. Obviously Now Up To 5th Edition.

£50 DEMO

£100 Stock Copy :wicked:

So it does Exist, Totally Gobsmacked, never, ever seen one.

And my gast is flabbered ; I did not - despite there could be a chance - think there were SC around ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

4001 DICKY DOO & THE DON'TS

4017 LOY CLINGMAN

4032 THE GAY CHARMERS

taken the above from the Swan listing, you couldn't make the names up ! :wicked:

i'll swear we had a black swan copy of "The Spy" when we were doing list, but it was in VG condition and sold very cheap £5 or so. Also had a couple of import demos -all from the Philly area so maybe a local hit.

Social source share

Hi Guys, bought my copy from John Anderson (Soul Bowl) In 1975, my self and Chris Dalton used to always go down there on the saturdays the Pier Niter was on so that if John had any new discoveries and exclusives we would have first play of them that nite, you can immagine the squabaling over stuff if there were only a couple of copies of sounds and fellow DJ's were there too :sleep3: many a time Rick Todd, Ginger and Dick Jervis would be there too hopeing for that exclusive track or two for the night to play, happy days :wicked: but getting back to the record in question i have never seen an issue in all my travels, would be a nice prize indeed :sleep3:

On another note while on the Soul Bowl issue i used to buy records off John pre Soul Bowl when it was Groove city and even earlier Lynns Discory (as in Kings Lynn) Another name from the past who i bought a a lot of my top sounds from was Graham Warr Records (think i have spelt his name correct) any one else remember dealing with them? and who remembers Jack Bollington with those very dodgy accitates he used tout at the all niters to sell? over to you lads!!! :sleep3:

Edited by Rick Scott (DJ)
Social source share

Hi Guys, bought my copy from John Anderson (Soul Bowl) In 1975, my self and Chris Dalton used to always go down there on the saturdays the Pier Niter was on so that if John had any new discoveries and exclusives we would have first play of them that nite, you can immagine the squabaling over stuff if there were only a couple of copies of sounds and fellow DJ's were there too :) many a time Rick Todd, Ginger and Dick Jervis would be there too hopeing for that exclusive track or two for the night to play, happy days :lol: but getting back to the record in question i have never seen an issue in all my travels, would be a nice prize indeed :)

On another note while on the Soul Bowl note i used to buy records off John pre Soul Bowl when it was Groove city and even earlier Lynns Discory (as in Kings Lynn) Another name from the past who i bought a a lot of my top sounds from was Graham Warr Records (think i have spelt his name correct) any one else remember dealing with them? and who remembers Jack Bollington with those very dodgy accitates he used tout at the all niters to sell? over to you lads!!! :yes:

Dodgy Acetates ? how very dare you .......

Jack played by the book with these recordings whistling.gif ........

Going back to The Modern Redcaps , they had another release , on Lawn ( subsidiary of Swan ) in 1965 - " Empty World " /

" Our Love Will Never Be The Same " ( Lawn # 254 , two releases before John Leach " Put That Woman Down " / " Love, Oh Love " ) , which is credited as The Modern Red Caps , not " Redcaps " .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Dodgy Acetates ? how very dare you .......

Jack played by the book with these recordings whistling.gif ........

Going back to The Modern Redcaps , they had another release , on Lawn ( subsidiary of Swan ) in 1965 - " Empty World " /

" Our Love Will Never Be The Same " ( Lawn # 254 , two releases before John Leach " Put That Woman Down " / " Love, Oh Love " ) , which is credited as The Modern Red Caps , not " Redcaps " .........

Malc Burton

Yes But The Sound Quallity Was Bloody Awfull, Doing Them Was One Thing But Did He Ever Do One That You Could Actualy Use??? :lol:

Social source share

Yes But The Sound Quallity Was Bloody Awfull, Doing Them Was One Thing But Did He Ever Do One That You Could Actualy Use??? unsure.gif

Quite simply , NO : Jack had them all mastered at Krispy Sound

You bought one , found out that it was crap , and sold it on to a willing buyer , and never bought another ......

I learned my lesson with a 'tate of Lord Sitar , which sounded like it had been recorded in a submarine under the Ganges ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi Guys, bought my copy from John Anderson (Soul Bowl) In 1975, my self and Chris Dalton used to always go down there on the saturdays the Pier Niter was on so that if John had any new discoveries and exclusives we would have first play of them that nite, you can immagine the squabaling over stuff if there were only a couple of copies of sounds and fellow DJ's were there too :yes: many a time Rick Todd, Ginger and Dick Jervis would be there too hopeing for that exclusive track or two for the night to play, happy days rolleyes.gif but getting back to the record in question i have never seen an issue in all my travels, would be a nice prize indeed :)

On another note while on the Soul Bowl issue i used to buy records off John pre Soul Bowl when it was Groove city and even earlier Lynns Discory (as in Kings Lynn) Another name from the past who i bought a a lot of my top sounds from was Graham Warr Records (think i have spelt his name correct) any one else remember dealing with them? and who remembers Jack Bollington with those very dodgy accitates he used tout at the all niters to sell? over to you lads!!! :lol:

Hi Rick

I started during the Groove City era.

Well remember going to Portland Street, AMAZING PLACE

Social source share

Hi Rick

Hi, yes many a great find in that place, very few people importing records and putting out lists in those days, and records so cheap you could take the odd risk or two and come up trumps, amazing place indeed. Rick

Social source share

Hi, yes many a great find in that place, very few people importing records and putting out lists in those days, and records so cheap you could take the odd risk or two and come up trumps, amazing place indeed. Rick

Me and Phil Duckworth used to pay Mick (local bus driver) to take us down to Kings Lynn from Accrington.

None of us had cars back than. Like you said an amazing place.

We also used to go to London on the train got alot of good records cheap there as well. smile.gif

Social source share

......but getting back to the record in question i have never seen an issue in all my travels, would be a nice prize indeed :ohmy:

Me neither Rick. Also I seem to remember getting my US originals of Guys From UNCLE and Modern Redcaps at the same time from Rick (can't remember his surname) from Global.......

Has anyone got a scan of an issue? I'd love to see one........

Ian D :g:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Hi Rick

Lynn Discery was in Norfolk Street a converted Terraced House with a mauve front door

Social source share

I hope you can substansiate that statement Mr donnelly , and it is not simply an accusation and slur on Mr Smurf's character :ohmy: .......

Malc Burton

I can...spoke to JA during the week and he told me he'd had a handful of "the spy come in" "put me one to one side I'll get smudge to pick it up sat.

Contacted smudge the week after and he explains there was no record there...that Friday he was playing my copy...

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I can...spoke to JA during the week and he told me he'd had a handful of "the spy come in" "put me one to one side I'll get smudge to pick it up sat.

Contacted smudge the week after and he explains there was no record there...that Friday he was playing my copy...

Paul Paul Paul it didnt quite work like that.A copy of the Spy,The Jewels and cochise were reserved under your name.The spy and cochise were save for me.I collected mine along with two more copies of cochise.

I was playing that night at Bourne corn exchange with Frank(Ian Dehurst) and John Vincent.Cochise was the biggest record in the country at the time,both Ian and John hadnt seen the single and they both wanted it,a deal was duly done.When i put the Spy on the Decks John Wanted that as well,i let him have it.Being without a copy i went back to JA and made out i had come to collect Pauls copy for him.I did leave you the Jewels though Paul!!!!!!

Glad we are still good friends and often laugh about this

Social source share

Paul Paul Paul it didnt quite work like that.A copy of the Spy,The Jewels and cochise were reserved under your name.The spy and cochise were save for me.I collected mine along with two more copies of cochise.

I was playing that night at Bourne corn exchange with Frank(Ian Dehurst) and John Vincent.Cochise was the biggest record in the country at the time,both Ian and John hadnt seen the single and they both wanted it,a deal was duly done.When i put the Spy on the Decks John Wanted that as well,i let him have it.Being without a copy i went back to JA and made out i had come to collect Pauls copy for him.I did leave you the Jewels though Paul!!!!!!

so you scammed my copy of Cold Cheese as well. Who said we're still god freinds, I tollerate you and thats about it mush, afterall youve never ever apologised...... :thumbup:

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Blimey, are you sure Smudger? I thought I got "Cochise" pretty much straight away @ The Mecca......? I'll take your word for it though. That was one record which got slammed to death very quickly............

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

so you scammed my copy of Cold Cheese as well. Who said we're still god freinds, I tollerate you and thats about it mush, afterall youve never ever apologised...... :thumbup:

Sorry Sorry sorry sorry sorry........the beers are on me next week mate

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Blimey, are you sure Smudger? I thought I got "Cochise" pretty much straight away @ The Mecca......? I'll take your word for it though. That was one record which got slammed to death very quickly............

Perfectly sure Ian! You gave me The Perigents Love on a rampage and Jodie Mathis your copy a a small round blue sticker on it.John gave me Panic British Demo and the Montclares Hung up Issue and shhhh an acetate of Johnny Bragg but dont tell Frank Elson lol

Social source share

Perfectly sure Ian! You gave me The Perigents Love on a rampage and Jodie Mathis your copy a a small round blue sticker on it.John gave me Panic British Demo and the Montclares Hung up Issue and shhhh an acetate of Johnny Bragg but dont tell Frank Elson lol

ffs get a life... I can't even remember what was on the telly last night. :thumbup:

Social source share

Me neither Rick. Also I seem to remember getting my US originals of Guys From UNCLE and Modern Redcaps at the same time from Rick (can't remember his surname) from Global.......

Has anyone got a scan of an issue? I'd love to see one........

Rick Cooper

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD QUESTION, BUT CANT REMEMBER WHO PLAYED THIS FIRST, I REMEMBER IT BEING BIG AT WIGAN IN THE EARLY YEARS AND BUYING IT ON THR U.K SWAN ? IMPRINT, BUT WAS IT EVER A LEGITAMITATE RELEASE BACK IN THE DAY, IF NOT WHERE DID IT COME FROM.

"The Spy" was a massive instrumental spin in mid-1974, played around the same time as "Cool Off", Johnny Bragg etc.

Social source share

So who were The Girls from UNCLE - The spy/Agent for love?

Is 'The spy' the same recording?

We did Girls From Uncle as a tongue in cheek tailor made for Joe Boy.

New song sung by Midlands singer Jacqie Williams over "The Spy" instrumental and then the vocal and instrumental mixed down to make the new track.I gave it first spin at Ritz All-Nighter and Guy Hennigan ran over to ask what it was.

We had permission from the owner of Swan catalogue to sample the instrumental and paid royalties etc.

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

New song sung by Midlands singer Jacqie Williams over "The Spy" instrumental and then the vocal and instrumental mixed down to make the new track.I gave it first spin at Ritz All-Nighter and Guy Hennigan ran over to ask what it was.

We had permission from the owner of Swan catalogue to sample the instrumental and paid royalties etc.

Nice one! Then I shall buy me a copy forthwith. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Harold Pelham

Quite right, Neil, and wonderful it is too! We have copies for sale if anyone is interested The Spy/Agent For Love

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert