What If ?

Rob Wigley

Hi Soul-Source people--true "Soul people" wanted !

How would you feel about seeing live acts in a small venue 180-200 max attendance ?

Its something thats been going around in my head for a while. As most who know us on here-

you know we are generally involved in larger Weekend type events, which is great. However when you get involved with these you make an awful lot of contacts. :thumbup:

One of the best nights for us ever was Sam Dees at Canal Tavern in the 80s, about 90 people in I'd guess, sound was terrible, but the night and atmosphere were brilliant.

They would be Northern / Rare / acts with tunes both from the 60s & 70s that have been played on the scene to form the backbone of the show. Most would be a first UK appearance, with sounds that maybe would not fit into a traditional weekender event. If acts had been before then we'd concentrate on tunes that they did not get to sing.

The music played at the event prior and after the show would be 1967--1978 but not rigid to those boundaries, just a guide. Great soul music would be the order of the day.

The event would be in the East Midlands, close to the M1, within a hour or less travelling distance of Stoke, Northampton, Leeds, Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield etc.

The event would not clash with others and would be 3 or 4 times a year for acts.

The tickets would be sold on a "first come first served" basis, no "guest lists" or "On the door" pick ups to stop time wasters and wannabees.

The event would run 7.30pm to 3.00am. The acts would be on stage 12 midnight. With FULL access after the show for autographs, photos etc so EVERYONE gets a chance to meet them.

You'd have to put your money where your mouth is and get in early.

Now this won't come cheap, especially with the £ to $ situation, cost would be in the region of £20 to £30 a ticket (at tops) depending on the acts we bring in. There is alot of cost involved to get it right, but its a gamble that we are prepared to take.

We would build a proper "Soul Club" as in the early days, with a membership base.

Question is ARE YOU UP FOR IT ? If you are then everything is in place and ready to go by spring 2009 !!!

Your thoughts and replies appreciated.

Rob & Karen and :thumbup: and :thumbup: .

Hi Rob, remember the Sam Dees night well, a great "soul moment", someone else I would love to see in a more intimate environment would be Phil Perry, for those who were there at Prestatyn, who could ever forget his set on the Saturday afternoon in the Modern room, absolutely mind blowing uptempo numbers, mid-tempo through to gut wrenching ballads the man handled everything like the pro he is.

Kev

Social source share

• Replies 93
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Rob, remember the Sam Dees night well, a great "soul moment", someone else I would love to see in a more intimate environment would be Phil Perry, for those who were there at Prestatyn, who could ever forget his set on the Saturday afternoon in the Modern room, absolutely mind blowing uptempo numbers, mid-tempo through to gut wrenching ballads the man handled everything like the pro he is.

Kev

Hi kev , you ok ?

Phil perry is in touch all the time, great guy and f&*^%ng brilliant live ! you'b be looking at £50 to £60 a ticket to get him, which we can -no problem, maybe as the club develops he can be on the list. i don't mind doing it, organising it etc, but we'll need commitment from members or we'll need "committing" for trying :thumbup:

now if I won the lottery you could watch The dells for nowt !, but until then there are bills to be paid !

Hope you can join in, right up your street thought a little further to travel, ive got some pictures somewhere of you at Thorne ! :thumbup:

Rob

Social source share

that would be a night to remember........ what a brilliant idea, a more intimate experience that would be so much more personal. Think you have come up with a winner, I would definately want to attend an event like this. :thumbup:

Phyllis

This is what i thought would happen, a night where people would REALLY want to attend, had some more info through and hope to go public with dates and artist just after Christmas, but we may well start to build a memebership /mailing list in the next couple of weeks all being well.

Rob & karen

Can you add me to your list...would I need two memberships if I wanted to bring my lovely wife along?

Paul

Social source share

Hi Rob

Think it a nice idea. I know you will have already thought through the costings side of it, just a thought. Why not do one small gig in the area you mentioned and one a day before or later in greater london or the south east to help with the costs, also may give more people the oppertunity to see the artists.

Dave

Social source share

Hi Rob

Think it a nice idea. I know you will have already thought through the costings side of it, just a thought. Why not do one small gig in the area you mentioned and one a day before or later in greater london or the south east to help with the costs, also may give more people the oppertunity to see the artists.

Dave

Dave

that has also entered our heads as well, london or m25 inner area maybe ?

advantage is we have the "Soul friendly" venue, smallish but 110% behind it !

Rob & karen

Social source share

Hi Soul-Source people--true "Soul people" wanted !

How would you feel about seeing live acts in a small venue 180-200 max attendance ?

Its something thats been going around in my head for a while. As most who know us on here-

you know we are generally involved in larger Weekend type events, which is great. However when you get involved with these you make an awful lot of contacts. :lol:

One of the best nights for us ever was Sam Dees at Canal Tavern in the 80s, about 90 people in I'd guess, sound was terrible, but the night and atmosphere were brilliant.

They would be Northern / Rare / acts with tunes both from the 60s & 70s that have been played on the scene to form the backbone of the show. Most would be a first UK appearance, with sounds that maybe would not fit into a traditional weekender event. If acts had been before then we'd concentrate on tunes that they did not get to sing.

The music played at the event prior and after the show would be 1967--1978 but not rigid to those boundaries, just a guide. Great soul music would be the order of the day.

The event would be in the East Midlands, close to the M1, within a hour or less travelling distance of Stoke, Northampton, Leeds, Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield etc.

The event would not clash with others and would be 3 or 4 times a year for acts.

The tickets would be sold on a "first come first served" basis, no "guest lists" or "On the door" pick ups to stop time wasters and wannabees.

The event would run 7.30pm to 3.00am. The acts would be on stage 12 midnight. With FULL access after the show for autographs, photos etc so EVERYONE gets a chance to meet them.

You'd have to put your money where your mouth is and get in early.

Now this won't come cheap, especially with the £ to $ situation, cost would be in the region of £20 to £30 a ticket (at tops) depending on the acts we bring in. There is alot of cost involved to get it right, but its a gamble that we are prepared to take.

We would build a proper "Soul Club" as in the early days, with a membership base.

Question is ARE YOU UP FOR IT ? If you are then everything is in place and ready to go by spring 2009 !!!

Your thoughts and replies appreciated.

Rob & Karen and :rolleyes: and :lol: .

Hi both,

I've never been a fan of live acts, grown up with the records, every crackle 'n' hiss of 'em, i just love it.

However i've gotta say i would be far more condusive to it in the sourroundings you describe.

I remember Sam Dees upstairs at Kings Hall, 1000 plus downstairs listening to same old, same old while around 100 to 150 of us were treated to a great 'soulful' performance upstairs...rather sad, isn't it.

Yeah! i'll give it a go...keep us informed

All the Best.....Harpo

Edited by harpo1
Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

What a great idea, Gill & I are definetly interested in supporting this type of venture. I well remember a certain Motown diva live in an small venue in that place in between Manton Wood and Shireoaks, that was a great night and well thought out with an opportunity for autographs and pictures afterwards. Count us in and let me know if you need a hand with anything !!

Two membership cards please !!!

Artistes wish list :- I'm going to mention Jerry Butler but I know that will have to be later on in the great scheme of things ! Chuck Jackson, Kim Weston, The Velvelletes, Millie Jackson, Gladys Knight

Dave & Gill

Social source share

What a FANTASTIC prospect !! And one I would MOST DEFINATELY feel privileged to show 100% support to. :rolleyes:

Even if only for purely selfish reasons, I would want - No.. NEED, to be one of the first in the queue for each performance !!

I, too, would welcome the earliest opportunity to arrange subscription to any potential membership list.

Can I offer immediate remit of a realistic sum (but cheap at ANY price.. imo) as deposit for my tickets for the first THREE gigs NOW, please ?? :lol:

Perhaps not such a 'flippant' statement, after all - as that also presents opportunity to reinforce, if not create, a potentially (and envious) strong position.. where the massive financial requirements, likely to be involved in this type of project, are concerned. Food for thought there, maybe ?? :lol:

Prompted by this thread to reminisce about the live acts I'd witnessed (only during the mid-to late 70's..) I quickly remembered how 'special' each of those occasions were, and the unique memories created as a consequence. To have a chance to experience more of those totally magical moments leaves me salivating profusely !! yes.gif

I look forward to (hopefully) being a part of some 'future' Historic, iconic 'Soul Music' experience(s), and can forever proudly turn around and say "I was THERE.. " !! Can't wait !! :lol:

Fingers.. :lol:

Social source share

Whooaa, been laid up with a virus and flat on me back in bed for 36 hours.

Thanks once again for great replies.

Its all very "do able" and hope to be sounding out the first act very soon, the venue is a tad smaller than i first thought -150-- not 200-- but still has great atmosphere and plenty of room to move around once the acts had finished.

WATCH THIS SPACE !

Rob & Karen

Social source share

What a FANTASTIC prospect !! And one I would MOST DEFINATELY feel privileged to show 100% support to. :thumbsup:

Even if only for purely selfish reasons, I would want - No.. NEED, to be one of the first in the queue for each performance !!

I, too, would welcome the earliest opportunity to arrange subscription to any potential membership list.

Can I offer immediate remit of a realistic sum (but cheap at ANY price.. imo) as deposit for my tickets for the first THREE gigs NOW, please ?? :thumbup:

Perhaps not such a 'flippant' statement, after all - as that also presents opportunity to reinforce, if not create, a potentially (and envious) strong position.. where the massive financial requirements, likely to be involved in this type of project, are concerned. Food for thought there, maybe ?? :g:

Prompted by this thread to reminisce about the live acts I'd witnessed (only during the mid-to late 70's..) I quickly remembered how 'special' each of those occasions were, and the unique memories created as a consequence. To have a chance to experience more of those totally magical moments leaves me salivating profusely !! :yes:

I look forward to (hopefully) being a part of some 'future' Historic, iconic 'Soul Music' experience(s), and can forever proudly turn around and say "I was THERE.. " !! Can't wait !! :thumbsup:

Fingers.. :thumbup:

Great post and all the encouragement we really need !

Social source share

Guest tonyolly

Won't clash with anything if we do it right and certainly not T'Attic and you lads are used to being squashed in :thumbsup:

Rob

lamont dozier???????????

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Top draw rare soul acts who can still sing, some mentioned on a thread on here a few weeks ago as "wish list" artist. They would not fit into a traditional weekender bill as the Big northern crowds only want to hear the 1 or 2 Northern tunes they know.

we are looking for a SOUL CROWD as opposed to a DANCE CROWD if you catch my drift.

rob

Gil Blanding

Darrow Fletcher

Betty Lavette

Phil Perry

Terry Callier

Ronnie McNeir

And £30 a pop is nothing for the priviledge of seeing these acts perform in an intimate setting where they'd be comfortable with the crowd and really 'relax'....it's a great idea :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

now if I won the lottery you could watch The dells for nowt !, Rob

If I win the Lottery, everyone can watch the Dells for zero pence....'Make Sure' would be on me :thumbsup: Rob, I'll keep you posted if my numbers come up :thumbsup: Jo xx

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

seen her kev, great but they carried her on stage and proped her up ! she was fantastic !

Baby Washington would be brilliant again....if you could stop her from hiding behind the speaker :D

Social source share

I'd love to see Sam Dees again,also would'nt mind seeing Sandra Wright or Veda Love just to hear her sing "Make Me Yours Tonight" .

Edited by soulchic
Social source share

Guest bazrico

Now that would be a night to remember........ what a brilliant idea, a more intimate experience that would be so much more personal. Think you have come up with a winner, I would definately want to attend an event like this. :lol:

Phyllis

the wheel was small venue artist on stage and only 100 max !!! in that room, however due to the set (other small rooms) no one missed out either watching or dancing certainly no room in the stage room to dance bring back those days up close and personal

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

sam works well amoungst his "own" soul people, Sandra Wright, there's a good one, but is she still with us ? anyone got info ?

Rob

Sandra Wright was still with us Rob about 8 months ago, she sent Terry Jones a message on the Shaun Robbins radio show. So I would still say yes!

Nice Call for Sandra Wright

Hope you are all well

Best

Bully :D

Social source share

Sandra Wright was still with us Rob about 8 months ago, she sent Terry Jones a message on the Shaun Robbins radio show. So I would still say yes!

Nice Call for Sandra Wright

Hope you are all well

Best

Bully :D

if you're coming Bully we'll look for a bigger venue, YOUUUUUUUUUU KNOWWWW. you'd kill ten people with those elbows !

I hope Graham doesn't come as well ! ohmy.giflaugh.gif

I'll get on her trail then.....

Rob

Social source share

Count us in Rob-all the way from FY6!!!

Carl Douglas doing a 60's and 70's set would be excellent-but rely on your choice totally,

Come on FleetwoodTown tomorrow!!!!

Thought you'd like it Rod, see you next week at Alfreton watching the mighty Fleetwood Town,

(the things you do for Mates and your kids :D )

Rob

Social source share

Just a quick up date, things are looking good for next year. Had a meeting with our partners in the week to have another look at the venue.

Also had a lot of feedback via PM off people that have not posted. Already talked to a couple of people in the USA and in principle they are up for the challenge.

A couple of technicalities to sort out. We are ever mindful of costings and won't let this run away with us ( we can't afford to let it ).

But all in all some special nights ahead in 2009.

Keep the post coming we are reading them all with interest as are our partners in this.

Membership stands at 32 at the moment, oh plus Mr Burton-come in 69 your time is up ! :D

Keep you posted

Rob & Karen

Social source share

membership now standing at 48, not bad to say we haven't confirmed anything yet.

Looking like it WILL be a members only Club at this rate, also cuts down the need and extra cost of security on door. Things going well.

Rob & Karen

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

just had another 8 wanting memberships this week and expecting a call from the USA by the weekend to confirm our first act. All systems looking good for the Spring lauch date.

membership now 56 plus malc burton who is stuck on his own elk at 69. they are catching you up mate ! laugh.gif

rob & Karen

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Nope, it's not..... but Shirley is a bit like Johnnie Taylor was ... why get on a plane and go through all the crap when she can get all the gigs she wants in the Southern States ...... a lot of acts I talk with have a paranoia of flying.

Yes i was there and exactly what I'm thinking of Garry, Syl was the Man and on my list !

can you remember when he said to Snake davis (who was late) "play that funky music white boy" laugh.gif

Social source share

Yes i was there and exactly what I'm thinking of Garry, Syl was the Man and on my list !

can you remember when he said to Snake davis (who was late) "play that funky music white boy" laugh.gif

Yes - and Snake loved it really.

To be fair to the Snakemeister, he had been doing a solo gig in Barnsley previously and had got held up there. He sent the group ahead to get set up so he could jump on stage as soon as he got there.

Sound check was a bit of fun (almost like PPM at Prestatyn.....)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert