What If ?

Rob Wigley

Hi Soul-Source people--true "Soul people" wanted !

How would you feel about seeing live acts in a small venue 180-200 max attendance ?

Its something thats been going around in my head for a while. As most who know us on here-

you know we are generally involved in larger Weekend type events, which is great. However when you get involved with these you make an awful lot of contacts. :thumbup:

One of the best nights for us ever was Sam Dees at Canal Tavern in the 80s, about 90 people in I'd guess, sound was terrible, but the night and atmosphere were brilliant.

They would be Northern / Rare / acts with tunes both from the 60s & 70s that have been played on the scene to form the backbone of the show. Most would be a first UK appearance, with sounds that maybe would not fit into a traditional weekender event. If acts had been before then we'd concentrate on tunes that they did not get to sing.

The music played at the event prior and after the show would be 1967--1978 but not rigid to those boundaries, just a guide. Great soul music would be the order of the day.

The event would be in the East Midlands, close to the M1, within a hour or less travelling distance of Stoke, Northampton, Leeds, Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield etc.

The event would not clash with others and would be 3 or 4 times a year for acts.

The tickets would be sold on a "first come first served" basis, no "guest lists" or "On the door" pick ups to stop time wasters and wannabees.

The event would run 7.30pm to 3.00am. The acts would be on stage 12 midnight. With FULL access after the show for autographs, photos etc so EVERYONE gets a chance to meet them.

You'd have to put your money where your mouth is and get in early.

Now this won't come cheap, especially with the £ to $ situation, cost would be in the region of £20 to £30 a ticket (at tops) depending on the acts we bring in. There is alot of cost involved to get it right, but its a gamble that we are prepared to take.

We would build a proper "Soul Club" as in the early days, with a membership base.

Question is ARE YOU UP FOR IT ? If you are then everything is in place and ready to go by spring 2009 !!!

Your thoughts and replies appreciated.

Rob & Karen and :lol: and :D .

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

• Replies 93
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Brett F

I'd be interested in seeing acts that mainly concentrated on the music they cut in the years you mentioned. Is Nate Evans still with us ?, there are a multitude of artists that i'd like to hear, but i'm never sure if they are alive or healthy enough to perform.

Brett

Social source share

I'd be interested in seeing acts that mainly concentrated on the music they cut in the years you mentioned. Is Nate Evans still with us ?, there are a multitude of artists that i'd like to hear, but i'm never sure if they are alive or healthy enough to perform.

Brett

Nate Evans was in a town near you Brett, Doncaster, in 1991 sining with david Ruffin & eddie kendricks Temptaions show. Wea re nearly fell off our seats when they introduced him ! don't know if he is still around though.

Good reply mate.

Rob

Social source share

How would you feel about seeing live acts in a small venue 180-200 max attendance ?

Its something thats been going around in my head for a while. As most who know us on here-

you know we are generally involved in larger Weekend type events, which is great. However when you get involved with these you make an awful lot of contacts. :ohmy:

One of the best nights for us ever was Sam Dees at Canal Tavern in the 80s, about 90 people in I'd guess, sound was terrible, but the night and atmosphere were brilliant.

They would be Northern / Rare / acts with tunes both from the 60s & 70s that have been played on the scene to form the backbone of the show. Most would be a first UK appearance, with sounds that maybe would not fit into a traditional weekender event. If acts had been before then we'd concentrate on tunes that they did not get to sing.

The music played at the event prior and after the show would be 1967--1978 but not rigid to those boundaries, just a guide. Great soul music would be the order of the day.

The event would be in the East Midlands, close to the M1, within a hour or less travelling distance of Stoke, Northampton, Leeds, Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield etc.

The event would not clash with others and would be 3 or 4 times a year for acts.

The tickets would be sold on a "first come first served" basis, no "guest lists" or "On the door" pick ups to stop time wasters and wannabees.

The event would run 7.30pm to 3.00am. The acts would be on stage 12 midnight. With FULL access after the show for autographs, photos etc so EVERYONE gets a chance to meet them.

Now this won't come cheap, especially with the £ to $ situation, cost would be in the region of £20 to £30 a ticket (at tops) depending on the acts we bring in. There is alot of cost involved to get it right, but its a gamble that we are prepared to take.

We would build a proper "Soul Club" as in the early days, with a membership base.

Question is ARE YOU UP FOR IT ? If you are then everything is in place and ready to go by spring 2009 !!!

how about gene chandler and jerry butler as a double act????? would be a" dream come true" :thumbup:

Social source share

you know we are generally involved in larger Weekend type events, which is great. However when you get involved with these you make an awful lot of contacts. :thumbup:

Sounds a great idea but I suppose it would depend on the acts that were booked, I know there are lots of people I would love to see and meet and would travel countrywide to get the chance

regards

Ian

Social source share

Do you want to pay £300 a ticket Mobbsy ? SMALL venue mate, but East midlands trains will get you within 4 miles and there are plenty of cheap hotels nearby. bring kev with you !

Rob

:lol:

Social source share

Sounds a great idea but I suppose it would depend on the acts that were booked, I know there are lots of people I would love to see and meet and would travel countrywide to get the chance

regards

Ian

Top draw rare soul acts who can still sing, some mentioned on a thread on here a few weeks ago as "wish list" artist. They would not fit into a traditional weekender bill as the Big northern crowds only want to hear the 1 or 2 Northern tunes they know.

we are looking for a SOUL CROWD as opposed to a DANCE CROWD if you catch my drift.

rob

Social source share

I agree, I was one of the 90 :lol: Sam Dees was virtually in the crowd singing. If I remember correctly, you were standing on a chair behind me videoing the show

and I'd definitely be up for other live acts in a small venue

Social source share

Sounds right up my street, tho it would depend on the artists involved, there would certainly be a few from the Worcester area up for it, keep us informed.

Rob h.

This is the stuff i want to hear Rob, you can trust us on the acts as well, it's not easy to do , but with the support of a like-minded crowd and a great venue management i think we'll have a winner. bring john farrell with ya

Rob & karen

Social source share

up for this

Chuck Jackson please

And Me Chuck up close, would be mind blowing, the man can't do any wrong, in my eye's. WHAT A VOICE!! ------- SAM :lol:

Social source share

I'd be up for seeing any live act that has something to do with this music of ours.

Time is getting short and neither we, or the acts are going to be around for ever! i've just lost a mate from work at age 54 old Torch boy and it got me thinking. We have the contacts and if we can get the commitment from people there is a real chance to build something really special.

However, its not going to be done on the cheap and the acts want paying and there are costs involved.

But what would you sooner do, 5 crap soul nights over 3 months or so that don't hit the spot and cost £4-5 to get into. OR a really well thought out night, with great music and a live artist with GOOD SOUL people who actually want to be in the venue and say thanks to the artist involved.

We could wait around and do a BIG event, but to be honest "Time will pass you by", i missed Emanuel Lasky and Dee Dee Edwards despite them wanting to come over and talked to both at length and they both died relatively suddenly and the chance was lost to see them.

So all we (karen & myself and our 2 partners :lol: & :lol: for the time being) need is to test the water and generate some interest in the project.

Ive liked all the comments so far.

Rob

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

sounds great :lol: ....reminds me of major lance at the torch.We were just saying the other night how great it was in the 70's being able to see great acts, whatever music, in a small venue you can't beat it...also saw millie jackson at ..top rank hanley another top night.As in all things big is not always best :lol::lol: tezza

Social source share

Nate Evans was in a town near you Brett, Doncaster, in 1991 sining with david Ruffin & eddie kendricks Temptaions show. Wea re nearly fell off our seats when they introduced him ! don't know if he is still around though.

Good reply mate.

Rob

Rob I take it you meant singing in Doncaster, cos there's enough sinners there already without them lot joining in!!! :lol:

Take care, be safe & remember, "Small but intimate can never be wrong",

Spot. :lol:

Social source share

Guest bazrico

I agree, I was one of the 90 :thumbsup: Sam Dees was virtually in the crowd singing. If I remember correctly, you were standing on a chair behind me videoing the show

and I'd definitely be up for other live acts in a small venue

Dave

memory gone but were you cottons club stockport Edwin Starr show know was a small venue about 150 in Edwin was in one of the enclaves by the stage as soulies were dancing so being the gent moved a table and started singing.

What night

Social source share

you know we are generally involved in larger Weekend type events, which is great. However when you get involved with these you make an awful lot of contacts. :D

Rob & Karen and :thumbsup: and :lol: .

A small intimate venue , as was the norn in the 60s , with a live artist or group , is a tremendous idea - count me in :thumbsup: .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

And Me Chuck up close, would be mind blowing, the man can't do any wrong, in my eye's. WHAT A VOICE!! ------- SAM :thumbsup:

Hi Rob, I like the small venue notion, would make it feel special to be there. If I'm honest I think some NS acts can be dissapointing from a music perspective (only some, not all). I do like attending some live acts for the chance to show some appreciation for years of my enjoyment to records the artists may not have been rewarded for. Needs to be managed well in my opinion, I really don't get on well with extended soul medleys that can show the artists weaknesses rather than previous greatness. Just my opinion.

This sounds like the return of an underground scene - bring it on, about time.

BTW, as a bloke of varied musical tastes, appreciating many strands, attending festivals every year for the past ?? years, still attending current bands (not missed NME new bands tour in years), CHUCK JACKSON at the old Sherwood rooms in Nottingham (Can't remember the year Rob but would think you were there, long time ago) remains the single best performance I've ever been lucky enough to hear and see. £50 would be cheap to be near that man in a small room

Social source share

Definately like the sound of this - would make for some really special nites. Count me in and i am sure i know a few people in Chelt / Worcs area that would feel the same.

Thanks for taking time to consider it and hopefully make it happen.

adam douglas

Social source share

Hi Rob, I like the small venue notion, would make it feel special to be there. If I'm honest I think some NS acts can be dissapointing from a music perspective (only some, not all). I do like attending some live acts for the chance to show some appreciation for years of my enjoyment to records the artists may not have been rewarded for. Needs to be managed well in my opinion, I really don't get on well with extended soul medleys that can show the artists weaknesses rather than previous greatness. Just my opinion.

Hi dean

the acts we are talking about we have seen in the USA and we know most of them as well. We can choose the ones that have a strong song base, remember we haven't a huge crowd to please and the theory behind the venue is that people want to be there having paid to see the act. this can mean slower sides , ballards, deep soul get sung along with the artists rarer or Northern / modern/ crossover tracks.

This sounds like the return of an underground scene - bring it on, about time.

In the words of Sam Cook "A change is gonna come"

BTW, as a bloke of varied musical tastes, appreciating many strands, attending festivals every year for the past ?? years, still attending current bands (not missed NME new bands tour in years), CHUCK JACKSON at the old Sherwood rooms in Nottingham (Can't remember the year Rob but would think you were there, long time ago) remains the single best performance I've ever been lucky enough to hear and see. £50 would be cheap to be near that man in a small room

Yes I was there and still have the photos, I gonna do a book one day "The pictorial history of Northern soul from an east midlands bus trip point of view"-- trouble is I'm not on the bloody photos, as i took 'em :wicked:

By the way Chuck can work out expensive, but one to consider as we build up the club side of things, so any extra profit could be saved up as a "Thank You" to our members and used to offset an act like this !

Keep the replies coming!

Rob & Karen

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Yes I was there and still have the photos, I gonna do a book one day "The pictorial history of Northern soul from an east midlands bus trip point of view"-- trouble is I'm not on the bloody photos, as i took 'em :wicked:

By the way Chuck can work out expensive, but one to consider as we build up the club side of things, so any extra profit could be saved up as a "Thank You" to our members and used to offset an act like this !

Keep the replies coming!

Rob & Karen

Any chance you could get the cost of chuck her in doors as already said she will pay, don't fancy seeing him at the Prestatyn weekender

Social source share

Would have thought that would be viewed as a bonus Rob, might actually increase sales :sleep3:

Anyway back on topic & as discussed earlier - Terry Callier :sleep3:

Social source share

Would have thought that would be viewed as a bonus Rob, might actually increase sales :wicked:

Anyway back on topic & as discussed earlier - Terry Callier :sleep3:

I once saw Sonny Stitt in a small bar in Chicago , with about 80 of us in . Is this the size of a venue you have in mind Rob ? ........

A venue with a 100 - 120 capacity I feel would be ideal ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Any chance you could get the cost of chuck her in doors as already said she will pay, don't fancy seeing him at the Prestatyn weekender

If she's got the Wonnga I'll get the acts -no problem :wicked: , As Dean mentioned above , we saw chuck at nottingham years ago , mind you the Sherwood Rooms is a brilliant venue and there were about 500 + in as I recall. Rob

Social source share

I once saw Sonny Stitt in a small bar in Chicago , with about 80 of us in . Is this the size of a venue you have in mind Rob ? ........

A venue with a 100 - 120 capacity I feel would be ideal ......

Malc Burton

Yes malc. venue is 100% sorted. keeping our cards close to our chest at the moment and just wanted to test the water if my gut feeling was right, which it usually is !

Total venue has a lic. for 350, which would include other rooms in the building. however the room where the acts will be is around 175 ish, thats with everything stripped out standing only, with tables pushed against the walls. we are having a portable stage built for the acts so everyone gets a good view.

But once the act has finished then there is a chance to spread out in comfort into the other bars & rooms. There is also the facility for another sound system which can be linked to the Djs in the function room. So maybe room to chill out and look at records and talk, catch up and generally do all things soulful with A LIKE MINDED CROWD :wicked:

There is a room which is perfect for the artist to sit after the show where people get to meet them, get pictures, autographs etc.

management are VERY soul friendly and the bar is very reasonalbly priced. travel lodge and Holiday Inns just a taxi ride away as well. looking very good at the moment.

You know us Malc and what we are about. This is something we LOVE doing and also something we have the knowledge and expertise to do. We just need the people to back the event. :sleep3:

And someone of your ELK would be a pleasure to see.

Rob & karen-- :sleep3: & :sleep3:

Social source share

I know he's been over quite a few times but how about JJ Barnes. I would love to see him again in an intimate venue

cheers

Ian

JJ is a lovely guy and would Rip the place apart ! maybe couple him with Melvin Davis and Pat Lewis, cost would obviously edge up slighlty, but what price on your memories ?? and think of the Photos !!!!

Social source share

Guest bazrico

JJ is a lovely guy and would Rip the place apart ! maybe couple him with Melvin Davis and Pat Lewis, cost would obviously edge up slighlty, but what price on your memories ?? and think of the Photos !!!!

My personal choice would be for one artists only, other wise we would be moving to the weekender type of funtion

Social source share

Definately like the sound of this - would make for some really special nites. Count me in and i am sure i know a few people in Chelt / Worcs area that would feel the same.

Thanks for taking time to consider it and hopefully make it happen.

adam douglas

Thanks Adam, checking out cheap accom nearby or maybe bring a mini bus ? would take you an hour and a half to get there.

Social source share

Yes malc. venue is 100% sorted. keeping our cards close to our chest at the moment and just wanted to test the water if my gut feeling was right, which it usually is !

Total venue has a lic. for 350, which would include other rooms in the building. however the room where the acts will be is around 175 ish, thats with everything stripped out standing only, with tables pushed against the walls. we are having a portable stage built for the acts so everyone gets a good view.

But once the act has finished then there is a chance to spread out in comfort into the other bars & rooms. There is also the facility for another sound system which can be linked to the Djs in the function room. So maybe room to chill out and look at records and talk, catch up and generally do all things soulful with A LIKE MINDED CROWD :wicked:

There is a room which is perfect for the artist to sit after the show where people get to meet them, get pictures, autographs etc.

management are VERY soul friendly and the bar is very reasonalbly priced. travel lodge and Holiday Inns just a taxi ride away as well. looking very good at the moment.

You know us Malc and what we are about. This is something we LOVE doing and also something we have the knowledge and expertise to do. We just need the people to back the event. :sleep3:

And someone of your ELK would be a pleasure to see.

Rob & karen-- :sleep3: & :sleep3:

As you know Robert . I have PM you with a possible name , and I will let you know another - allied to the one mentioned to you - when we speak ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

My personal choice would be for one artists only, other wise we would be moving to the weekender type of funtion

Yes agree, my mind running away with itself :lol: the costs are also prohibitive as well, 3 airfares etc. we'll save the Detroit reveue for a bigger venue ph34r.gif

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Rob / Karen - This is blooooooody cheeky I know, BUT - I'm thinking membership may prove to be an important aspect for small scale (which I like) that could be over subscribed. Can I bags an early membership number cool.gif , preferably well in front of Garry Churm - just to annoy him laugh.gif .

Good luck with it, sounds like an obvious go-er. Dean (member No8??)

Social source share

Rob / Karen - This is blooooooody cheeky I know, BUT - I'm thinking membership may prove to be an important aspect for small scale (which I like) that could be over subscribed. Can I bags an early membership number cool.gif , preferably well in front of Garry Churm - just to annoy him laugh.gif .

Can I have membership number # 69 ? .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Rob,

Count us in for sure. Especially if it's 'first timers' to UK. I think one thing that would enhance their visits is a 'formal' Q and A session. When we did it at Hitsville we simply sat folks down at a table with coffee and donuts and let it run. What was originally planned for an hour lasted 5!! Maybe a lunch date or breakfast even? Some of the best 'chats' happen around a table full of grub as you'll know!

PS. I finally got hold of one of Ollie's daughters.....watch this space.

Social source share

Rob / Karen - This is blooooooody cheeky I know, BUT - I'm thinking membership may prove to be an important aspect for small scale (which I like) that could be over subscribed. Can I bags an early membership number cool.gif , preferably well in front of Garry Churm - just to annoy him :D .

:lol:bloody hell dean,nowt like getting in first !, seeing as you thought this out Yes you can have number----ONE---- if you like a safe bet . Obviously garry will magically whip out number Zero-which he traded with me at the Manor when I was 13-or something along those lines ! laugh.gif

Social source share

Rob,

Count us in for sure. Especially if it's 'first timers' to UK. I think one thing that would enhance their visits is a 'formal' Q and A session. When we did it at Hitsville we simply sat folks down at a table with coffee and donuts and let it run.

Private time for the magazine no problem

What was originally planned for an hour lasted 5!! Maybe a lunch date or breakfast even? Some of the best 'chats' happen around a table full of grub as you'll know!

what are flights like to East Midlands airport from you Dave ? 15 mins drive away

Congratulations -our first "International" members !

PS. I finally got hold of one of Ollie's daughters.....watch this space.

Good luck, I'll dig my Scooby-Doo Radio Show membership card out ! :D

Social source share

:lol:bloody hell dean,nowt like getting in first !, seeing as you thought this out Yes you can have number----ONE---- if you like a safe bet . Obviously garry will magically whip out number Zero-which he traded with me at the Manor when I was 13-or something along those lines ! laugh.gif

Promise not to put it on ebay Rob. I am liking this. Would be great to have somewhere for people over the next few years to have a place to say I was there when . . . . . . . . . It's like planning the future of the next retro scene :D I'll go and lay down now.

Social source share

Now that would be a night to remember........ what a brilliant idea, a more intimate experience that would be so much more personal. Think you have come up with a winner, I would definately want to attend an event like this. :thumbup:

Phyllis

Social source share

that would be a night to remember........ what a brilliant idea, a more intimate experience that would be so much more personal. Think you have come up with a winner, I would definately want to attend an event like this. :thumbup:

Phyllis

This is what i thought would happen, a night where people would REALLY want to attend, had some more info through and hope to go public with dates and artist just after Christmas, but we may well start to build a memebership /mailing list in the next couple of weeks all being well.

Rob & karen

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert