Motown In Vanity Fair

Rob Moss

December 2008 issue.Strange setting for a Motown story. Some decent photos but nothing we didn't already know. Moans about 'Dreamgirls', Gordy denying he was 'connected', barely a mention of the men that actually created and delivered the 'Motown Sound', usual quotes from the usual heavy hitters and certainly nothing previously 'Untold'. Another triumph for the Motown PR Department really. Might be worth a few bob on ebay in 50 years I suppose.

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

December 2008 issue.Strange setting for a Motown story. Some decent photos but nothing we didn't already know. Moans about 'Dreamgirls', Gordy denying he was 'connected', barely a mention of the men that actually created and delivered the 'Motown Sound', usual quotes from the usual heavy hitters and certainl the booy nothing previously 'Untold'. Another triumph for the Motown PR Department really. Might be worth a few bob on ebay in 50 years I suppose.

LOL! You'll never get the real deal in Vanity Fair Rob. It's an aspirational American glossy which is effectively controlled by the PR industy and there's no way you'll get any real dirt in there. As you quite rightly point out, both Universal Music and Berry Gordy's personal PR's would have steered this story the way they wanted it.

For more on the inner-workings of Vanity Fair, everyone should read Toby Young's side-splittingly funny book "How To Lose Friends And Alienate Peope", a large part of which is based on his time working for Vanity Fair. It's now a film too but read the book as it's easily one of the funniest books I've ever read in my life....

How's Canada? You're not too isolated up there are you LOL?

Ian D :rolleyes:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

LOL! You'll never get the real deal in Vanity Fair Rob. It's an aspirational American glossy which is effectively controlled by the PR industy and there's no way you'll get any real dirt in there. As you quite rightly point out, both Universal Music and Berry Gordy's personal PR's would have steered this story the way they wanted it.

For more on the inner-workings of Vanity Fair, everyone should read Toby Young's side-splittingly funny book "How To Lose Friends And Alienate Peope", a large part of which is based on his time working for Vanity Fair. It's now a film too but read the book as it's easily one of the funniest books I've ever read in my life....

How's Canada? You're not too isolated up there are you LOL?

Ian D :lol:

Hi Ian

Will check that book out - sounds good. You know how the Brits are abroad - we are always in splendid isolation! Everything is fine here (Even the weather sometimes) Been spending half my time flying to Detroit for funerals though. Not pleasant.

Hope you are well and flourishing.PM me for the invite to visit - ski ing is great here.

Best

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert