Am I A Dinosaur

barney

Guest manusf3a

Not really in any camp here, just like what I like, but having skipped through this thread am I right in thinking the way forward is to play music we aren't to enamoured with in the car, at home, repeatedly untill it becomes bearable or maybe likeable or easier to listen to? Doesn't sound like much fun to me, ok stuff can grow on you but in general I usually know if I like something, I agree it's a good way of hearing fresh stuff, but to keep playing it till you like it? surely not!!!!

Don't be worrying about doing what you enjoy, as long as it harms nobody else, that goes to all of us,

Sounds a bit like ",conditioning",to me to! like those adverts that due to the repeition they undergo folk go about whistling theme tunes etc without really realising it, strike one another goal for the advertisers there work has caused a product to sink in on another level,the name is "covert conditioning",the ,games people play ey!Thing is such an approach can also have the opposite effect to that intended,"oh no not that bloody stuff again.Give things a chance without rejecting outright is a good policy as is not trying to force your likes etc on to others,look at the resistance we put up when we think someone is trying to railroad us in some way.Agree with you ,a good way to get to know new stuff cds mps etc in car,at work etc but for mass repetition ,thats a no no.

Of course some will say ",But isnt mass repeition just what Barney does ,listening to oldies all the time?"however Barney to me seems pretty open minded enough ,he does listen to other stuff as well as staing hes going to give some "newies venues a go" he obviously knows his own mind about what he likes,the sort of sounds that strike a chord for him,As a returner to the scene(is it even the scene I left early eighties?) what strikes me is the amount of stereotyping and the number of splits that lead down different avenues,the amount of venues?It can all be a bit confusing so till I find my way round a bit more am I a dinosaur looking for a dna upgrade,will I want that upgrade?will I flee to the protective circle of those some call dino bros and sisters rejecting the"modern world",oh the choices.Think for now I will be a bit like Barry ,Iknow what I like but I am open to what to me will be new stuff and if it has that certain special thing about it plain and simple I will like it

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Sounds a bit like ",conditioning",to me to! like those adverts that due to the repeition they undergo folk go about whistling theme tunes etc without really realising i strike one another goal for the advertisers there work has caused a product to sink in on another leve,the name is "covert conditioning",the ,games people play ey!

Kin ell this was almost 4 years ago :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I wasn't complaining, just surprised :thumbsup:

Must admit it was Barneys avatar got my attenion leading to me having a read and then posting didnt look at the date till you mentioned it,still would have posted if I had of seen the date though atb manus
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

it would be good to get an update from "Barney",the man himself a few years down the line from his earlier posting,wonder what he listens to now/?where his favoutie haunts are,has he been to the "bat CAVE",I hear so much about mostly good in my own opinion,i think a good thing about these earlier in time threads (most of course new to myself)is that a couple or so years down the line you have a good comparison to see what changes etc folk have made,have they stuck to their guns or as the american crime series often say"flipped".

Social source share

well well fookin well was thinking about this the other day after someone said something to me at Bridlington , but heres a little story someone posted a story concerning an old grey whistle test video on here and very interesting it was,, and the first tune played was melba moore magic touch long lost in my memory but what a fookin tune , but nobody has it in there boxes these days,

anyroadart thats bye the bye , think the scene has become very polarised now and split along the lines of progressives and traditionalists,

and to me these two factions are getting further apart ,

still dont do niters like Ihave said got better things to do than mope about knackered or asleep during the day , scooters to ride and things to do,

thankfully have been to the Grosvenor rooms (was there last night) and to me its one of my fave venues,

went to the afternoon delight at rothwell last sunday and stayed for an hour listening to whatever they were playing , sorry but didnt hear anything to stir me onto the dancefloor ,

have not been able to go to as many places/events lateley as Angie has not been well fortunately she is much better and we are planning to visit some different venues ,

cheers b :hatsoff2:

ps not wearing bags , vests or white sox ffs but got some nice pegs :yes:

Edited by barney
Social source share

I must be a dinosaur as well then, Barney......

I prefered the days when there wasn't a venue on every street corner

The days before everybody was a DJ

The days when a venue had one room where ALL the genres were played

The days when people went out in the fashion of the day - not the fashion of yesterday

The days when you bought a record 'coz you actually liked it

The days when people made the effort to travel countless miles to listen to the music - not just a short taxi ride so they can get pi55ed and dance like their Dads

The days when a DJ knew (and was chosen) because he could 'construct' a spot and 'read' a room - not because he has a big wallet and a computer

The days when the Music was THE most important thing - not the format it's played on

The days when people looked forward to new music - not backward to what they'd heard a million times before..........

Doesn't seem like 65 million years ago does it?.........

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!