Am I A Dinosaur

barney

like to go out every w/end to mainly local venues with loads of mates.listen,dance and have a laugh with our friends to all the old familiar sounds . can appreciate the odd newey but prefer the tunes I first heard as a gangly youth.and still love, as a soon to be paunchy 53 year old unsure.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest bazrico

like to go out every w/end to mainly local venues with loads of mates.listen,dance and have a laugh with our friends to all the old familiar sounds . can appreciate the odd newey but prefer the tunes I first heard as a gangly youth.and still love, as a soon to be paunchy 53 year old :rolleyes:

Hi barney

So do i and i am a few years 9can't spell the word) still mate if i my call you mate get out there and ktf

and fook any anyone else

Social source share

Guest bazrico

like to go out every w/end to mainly local venues with loads of mates.listen,dance and have a laugh with our friends to all the old familiar sounds . can appreciate the odd newey but prefer the tunes I first heard as a gangly youth.and still love, as a soon to be paunchy 53 year old :rolleyes:

Hi barney

So do i and i am a few years (i can't spell the word) still mate if i my call you mate get out there and ktf

and fook any anyone else live for to day whether you like newies or oldies

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

like to go out every w/end to mainly local venues with loads of mates.listen,dance and have a laugh with our friends to all the old familiar sounds . can appreciate the odd newey but prefer the tunes I first heard as a gangly youth.and still love, as a soon to be paunchy 53 year old :lol:

Not in my opinion, just someone living their life how they want to. :rolleyes:

Social source share

oldies vs. newies part 167

seriously though do what you want, nowt to do with anyone else. As long as you enjoy it that is all that matters.

But a question, back in the day (as they say) the scene was based on new sounds week in week out. Now I know there ain't the quantity there was back then (and not always the quality) but there are some great new sounds discovered over the years ignored by many who prefer to go out and be in the same comfort zone week in week out, why?

If you left the scene and went clubbing did you listen to the same top 40 for years and years? Did you have certain radio shows you listened to that played the same playlist over and over? :rolleyes: I love me oldies but I'd be bored sh*tless listening to the same old same from the same old same DJ's you get in many areas week in week out. Why do you wanna keep hearing the same records you heard when you were a gangly lad all them years ago?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Barney.

The secret is get the new stuff on cd/mp3 and play it in the car, on your pc, etc. Eventually it becomes familiar and easier to listen to.

Even in the 'good old days' there was a lot of stuff that you probably didnt care for.

Part of the problem that faces lots of people who come back on the scene is that they have never heard half of the tracks and its easier said than done just liking anything thats played. Some of my mates will only go to oldies nights for that reason. Good DJs mix and match to give everyone something.

Ed

Edited by tomangoes
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest bazrico

Barney.

The secret is get the new stuff on cd/mp3 and play it in the car, on your pc, etc. Eventually it becomes familiar and easier to listen to.

Even in the 'good old days' there was a lot of stuff that you probably didnt care for.

Part of the problem that faces lots of people who come back on the scene is that they have never heard half of the tracks and its easier said than done just liking anything thats played. Some of my mates will only go to oldies nights for that reason. Good DJs mix and match to give everyone something.

Ed

well said

hey the soulies who have not left the scene give out free mp3 flies of the new stuff , oh my god give out free! i think my foot as just been shot off.

Who cares

Social source share

like to go out every w/end to mainly local venues with loads of mates.listen,dance and have a laugh with our friends to all the old familiar sounds . can appreciate the odd newey but prefer the tunes I first heard as a gangly youth.and still love, as a soon to be paunchy 53 year old :lol:

The exact term is you are a DINOSOULOSAUR :lol:

Julian

(Tyrannosoulosaur) or is that the Mrs :rolleyes:

Social source share

im with you on this barney , but our lass like her modern so we tend to visit across the board venues! i tend to play the more modern stuff in the car as it drowns out my squeeling fan belt :lol:

Social source share

can I explain my stance witith this anology .elvis fans ,bless em listen to the same old songs an if they went to an elvis night an they started playin souped up discofied elvis covers they would soon vent there feelings .they want elvis nowt else. also my father grew up a mario lanza fan it was the only music as far as he was concerned and still is,they are keeping the faith . thats all Im doing I suppose.

Social source share

Hey Barney as you know Gail & I do Oldies,Rare,Underplayed, Modern & most other types of music on our scene & we understand that some people don't like all types of Soul but what I think a lot of people get a little tired of is the same couple of hundred (If that) Oldies that are played non-stop when there are thousands that could be played & aren't, when we came back full time & I heard some of the tunes I didn't know & had missed in years past I was like a kid in a Candy Shop & thoroughly enjoyed finding out what they were etc & as Tomangoes says, "Get em on a cd in the car & they'll become familiar", then you'll soon be singing along, just ask Yocky & Nell, they were the same till I did em a couple of cd's each but at the end of the day you like what you like & why not, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same or have the same taste, what a boring world that would be. :lol:

Take care, be safe & remember,"What you like, is what you like",

Spot. :lol:

Social source share

as Tomangoes says, "Get em on a cd in the car & they'll become familiar", then you'll soon be singing along, just ask Yocky & Nell, they were the same till I did em a couple of cd's each but at the end of the day you like what you like & why not, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same or have the same taste, what a boring world that would be. :lol:

Take care, be safe & remember,"What you like, is what you like",

Spot. :thumbsup:

Social source share

have got more cds an mp3 wotsits than yer can sheck a stick at ,play em int car an van ,somes ok ,some have took t allotment an use em as bird scarers,in all honesty I have listened ,but it is like the tale of the emporers new clothes ,theres fook all there , stand back an listen to some of the tripe thats being played, elevator soul, suicidle soul ,music ter slash yer wrists by... music that maybe ok for the annual golf club dinner n dance, but its not ter my liking.why as so many of you become middle aged ,middle class .middle of the road soulies.

move on my arse ,whats wrong with our roots,are you ashamed of them, or is it because djs are still on the ego trip like the tailors in the emporers new clothes tryin to convince us of the latest monster/newey/awsome sound when really theres fook all there

give us some examples of the tripe thats being played? How would you know anyway what the next awesome sound is, you said yer sen you go to oldies doo's??? Has anyone said they are ashamed of the roots of this scene? No it's just that they aren't stuck in the past (well they are really), they aren't stuck in a Wigan time warp, they move on embrace the good new stuff. But hey if you just wanna stick to your montly oldies doo's then that fine, nothing wrong with that do what you gotta do but why slag those who do set out to listen to something else as being on ego trips or just listening to emporers new clothes just cause it ain't to your taste!

Social source share

give us some examples of the tripe thats being played? How would you know anyway what the next awesome sound is, you said yer sen you go to oldies doo's??? Has anyone said they are ashamed of the roots of this scene? No it's just that they aren't stuck in the past (well they are really), they aren't stuck in a Wigan time warp, they move on embrace the good new stuff. But hey if you just wanna stick to your montly oldies doo's then that fine, nothing wrong with that do what you gotta do but why slag those who do set out to listen to something else as being on ego trips or just listening to emporers new clothes just cause it ain't to your taste!

NEO ...SMILE :thumbsup:

Social source share

NEO ...SMILE :thumbsup:

Well I agree with that it is shite..... :lol: BUT go to an-allnighter when Sam plays it, it packs the floor so who are we to complain when a few 100 people are enjoying it?

But stuff likje the Parliaments, Rita & Tiaras, Belita Woods cover ups (Tiaras), Tommy & Derby's, Butchs Four Perfection & Sherry Taylor, Andy Dysons Johnny Sayles and Herb Johnson cover ups, hardly emporoers new cloths and thats just a few examples all proper northern soul IMHO.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Well I agree with that..... :thumbsup:

But stuff likje the Parliaments, Rita & Tiaras, Belita Woods cover ups (Tiaras), Tommy & Derby's, Butchs Four Perfection & Sherry Taylor, Andy Dysons Johnny Sayles and Herb Johnson cover ups, hardly emporoers new cloths and thats just a few examples all proper northern soul IMHO.

can agree with you on those young man :lol: but they have been out some time, but in the last year or so there seems to be a greater element of wot I have previously described as insipid soul creeping in an its getting worse, an as for slaggin off ,am just expressin an opinion

I go to a soul venue almost every friday and saturday covering yorks .notts and lancs,attend at least 4 w/wenders a year an have just done two weeks at sits for the 3rd year, would consider myself a committed soul lover albeit of the northern variety. was listening to my music when you were still gettin yer head fast int school railings :D so am I a dinosaur?

Edited by barney
Social source share

can agree with you on those young man :D but they have been out some time, but in the last year or so there seems to be a greater element of wot I have previously described insipid soul creeping in an its getting worse, an as for slaggin off ,am just expressin an opion

I go to a soul venue almost every friday and saturday covering yorks .notts and lancs,attend at least 4 w/wenders a year an have just done two weeks at sits for the 3rd year, would consider myself a committed soul lover albeit of the northern variety. was listening to my music when you were still gettin yer head fast int school railings :D so am I a dinosaur?

what's how long we've been into Soul Music got to do with it? :thumbsup: Have you had a break from the scene? If so I was doing two nighters a week along with two or three soul nights and the all-dayers, all the early weekenders, whilst you were having a break...so bloody what who cares, couldn't care what you do every week to be honest. I bet many of the places you go to are hardly concerned with the likes of the records I mentioned and are probably gonna play what you were dancing to whilst I had me head stuck in the railings :lol:

Oh and in answer to your question probably yes, I mean you're even named after a flintstone character :D

Oh and not all those records have been around yonks :D

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:D

what's how long we've been into Soul Music got to do with it? :thumbsup: Have you had a break from the scene? If so I was doing two nighters a week along with two or three soul nights and the all-dayers, all the early weekenders, whilst you were having a break...so bloody what who cares, couldn't care what you do every week to be honest. I bet many of the places you go to are hardly concerned with the likes of the records I mentioned and are probably gonna play what you were dancing to whilst I had me head stuck in the railings :lol:

Oh and in answer to your question probably yes, I mean you're even named after a flintstone character :D

Oh and not all those records have been around yonks :D

:D cheers

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

:ohmy:

:g: cheers

im with you barney. brother in law had large oldies collection years back... he now likes newies, doesnt mean i dont respect him though... just dont like em myself.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

like to go out every w/end to mainly local venues with loads of mates.listen,dance and have a laugh with our friends to all the old familiar sounds . can appreciate the odd newey but prefer the tunes I first heard as a gangly youth.and still love, as a soon to be paunchy 53 year old :thumbup:

Me too, when I win £20+ million on the lottery I will open a big house in the country where "oldies" can come for weekends for free to dance to oldies all weekend long................... :lol:

Chris L

Social source share

i have started to go to the southport weekender its bloody briliant like like 74 all over again but diferent scene diferent people but very enjoyable music and to my suprise they aint all kids and losts o folks older than me . they also dont take themselves too seriously like our lot . it dont matter what music you like if it makes you happy who cares!!! . i like old stuff classics everything but like other peeps have mentiond it realy gets a bit much week after week same bloody tunes same boring dj's last night i was dancing to some awesome modern tunes all i heard from my mates was f... shit this, i realy struggle at times to understand why there taste is so limited , some old classics are like a big top steak dinner briliant very tasty but if i had to eat it every day for over 30 years you would hate it . i have stoped going to most nighters as is like being in a room full of geriatrics yes i am one as well but dont mean you want to be one every month i like to feel young now and again ph34r.gif best get me coat eh?

Social source share

Much of the problem IMHO is these all sweeping Stereotypes that people on the scene insist on pigeonholing certain people with, ie........

'Dinosaur' = Baggy trousered, White socks clad 50 year old who only wants to listen to classic oldies.

'Handbagger' = Vodka swilling piss head who just wants to dance around in a short skirt and highheels to DJ Genitals and Ruby Andrews (and thats just the blokes :( )..

Rare Soul Fan = Anorak wearing trainspotter with a serious superiority complex.

Now I have a 'preferance' for uptempo 60's R&B, but not top 500, I don't wish to go out and talk about record prices and matrix numbers, but want to have a few drinks with people I know listening to some stuff I know - some stuff I sort of know - and some stuff I don't know at all........

Now going by the above stereotypes this makes me a anorak wearing - pissed up T-Rex in High heels..... :(

Edited by Teapot
Social source share

like to go out every w/end to mainly local venues with loads of mates.listen,dance and have a laugh with our friends to all the old familiar sounds . can appreciate the odd newey but prefer the tunes I first heard as a gangly youth.and still love, as a soon to be paunchy 53 year old :D

Read this thread rite thru,

The question is,Am I a dinosaur? Naaaaaaaaaaah

Feckin Neandethal maybe?

Beggars a question,How long you been back on the scene?

No disrespect here,But during our mid 70's when we wer serving out time. The scene was a progressive ongoing trend.

Which kept it fresh IMO.

We all like to reminice our days of way back when!

But for feck sake lets moooooooooove on!

Theres loads of stuff gettin pulled out all the time,with a still 60s/70s make the hair stand upon the back of your neck :( Give it a chance, it will deffo hit the spot :huh:

Tempo, rawness,grit,sweetness,haunting tunes soulness all take a bearing nowadays.

Our unquenchable thirst to unearth that elusive little gem!!

WHAT IS RITE FOR THE NITA SCENE NOW!!!!!!!!! Not yesterday,most dont stand the test of time anyway.

This is all in my humble opinion,but if want to get up to the same old same old.Every single week,not every few months or annum and still enjoy. Dont you feel like your on one of those wheels in a mouses cage??

Each to his or his own, But keep it alive :(

Cog x

Social source share

Neandethal

Dam!, another 'Stereotype' I forgot about..... 'The Neanderthal'

Neanderthal = Slack jawed, knuckle dragging yocal in period costume who's 'oft used phrases include "I norr what I likes and I don't likes this bloody modern rubbish - tha Knows"

Sodding hard work keeping up with all this 'Soul scene' terminology.. :(

Social source share

Not really in any camp here, just like what I like, but having skipped through this thread am I right in thinking the way forward is to play music we aren't to enamoured with in the car, at home, repeatedly untill it becomes bearable or maybe likeable or easier to listen to? Doesn't sound like much fun to me, ok stuff can grow on you but in general I usually know if I like something, I agree it's a good way of hearing fresh stuff, but to keep playing it till you like it? surely not!!!!

Don't be worrying about doing what you enjoy, as long as it harms nobody else, that goes to all of us,

Social source share

Not really in any camp here, just like what I like, but having skipped through this thread am I right in thinking the way forward is to play music we aren't to enamoured with in the car, at home, repeatedly untill it becomes bearable or maybe likeable or easier to listen to? Doesn't sound like much fun to me, ok stuff can grow on you but in general I usually know if I like something, I agree it's a good way of hearing fresh stuff, but to keep playing it till you like it? surely not!!!!

Don't be worrying about doing what you enjoy, as long as it harms nobody else, that goes to all of us,

Ayup Pete you old fossil LOL (another stereo type remark) :lol: How you doin?

I agree with you on the point of you shouldn't need to keep washing a tune over you again and again!

I can normally tell if i like it or not in the 1st 10 to 15 seconds.Its fantastic to hear something for the 1st time and instantly say F**K me wots that??

Mike

Social source share

Knew you put your tu'penneth in sooner or later Mr C, I'm with you on this one as you know but I also still get the tingle with the Oldies as long as it's once in a while, also I know Barney & he's no Dinosaur or Neandethal & actually a nice guy (Soz Barney spoilt the image now) & passionate about Oldies but he likes a bit of debate & I can see him now sat smiling & tittering as everyone plunges in with both feet, size 12's. I think he should give Carl Holmes-Soul dance No3 or Dorothy Berry-Shindig City a listen, I'm sure he'd like them. :lol:

Thought some of what Teapot said made sense, except his definition of a Rare Soul fan cos most I know couldn't give a S**te about labels etc but just what in the groove (Bloody Hell, that sounded a bit 70's, yah) & his love of 60's R&B or as some now call it Gritty 60's, well in the early 70's - even late'ish 70's with a very few exceptions R&B wouldn't have been given house room & a Dj that played it wouldn't have been needed to be shown the door because he'd have most likely gone out the window & I know it all originates from R&B but sorry it's not Northern, never has been,never will be, IMVHO, anyway with the love of R&B I was a bit puzzled by the last refosoul clip, "Mike Post-Bubblegum Breakthrough", a bit pop tune but a good dancer in 72.

Take care,be safe & remember,"Do do do what you feel",

Spot. :thumbup:

Social source share

Thought some of what Teapot said made sense, except his definition of a Rare Soul fan cos most I know couldn't give a S**te about labels etc but just what in the groove (Bloody Hell, that sounded a bit 70's, yah) & his love of 60's R&B or as some now call it Gritty 60's, well in the early 70's - even late'ish 70's with a very few exceptions R&B wouldn't have been given house room & a Dj that played it wouldn't have been needed to be shown the door because he'd have most likely gone out the window & I know it all originates from R&B but sorry it's not Northern, never has been,never will be, IMVHO, anyway with the love of R&B I was a bit puzzled by the last refosoul clip, "Mike Post-Bubblegum Breakthrough", a bit pop tune but a good dancer in 72.

This is my point though, Spot - the above are not 'MY' definitions, but the 'scenes' definitions and it's insistance on putting a label on everything and everybody.......

It could be argued that it's all R&B - indeed 'Northern' itself has been described (rightly IMHO) as "Uptempo R&B dance Music" so if I prefer uptempo 60's R&B isn't that just the same as someone who prefers 60's oldies as the only real difference is the amount of airtime these records get/got..........

I love listening to the classic oldies - just not 'all' night, I'd prefer to hear these played alongside some of the lesser known tracks from those great 70's venues - what you might call the 'Bread and Butter' tracks that tend to be regarded as not surefire floor-fillers today, add to this a sprinkling of rare stuff (both new and 'New-to-me') and you've got IMHO a great night out..... it's quite a simple formula - but one that to many 'Across the Board' venues get wrong, after all isn't that the meaning of "Across the Board"? but yet again another wrongly named 'Label' the scene insists on using.

What I realy dont get though is this "Why can't you move on" statement thats 'oft used by so many, just what exactly am I/We supposed to 'move on too' exactly?...

Because I now have a preferance for the more underplayed stuff does this mean I've 'moved on' from classic oldies?, even though I always prefered these tracks anyway and given these are mostly 60's then realy I've only moved 'sideways' at best, or should I take the term 'Moved On' literally and now just be listening to the latest 2008 R&B tracks only? - which given some of this stuff that I've heard contains precious little 'Rythem' and no 'Blues' whatsoever - then you can happily stick me in a museum and call me Barney tomorrow..

Edited by Teapot
Social source share

Knew you put your tu'penneth in sooner or later Mr C, I'm with you on this one as you know but I also still get the tingle with the Oldies as long as it's once in a while, also I know Barney & he's no Dinosaur or Neandethal & actually a nice guy (Soz Barney spoilt the image now) & passionate about Oldies but he likes a bit of debate & I can see him now sat smiling & tittering as everyone plunges in with both feet, size 12's. I think he should give Carl Holmes-Soul dance No3 or Dorothy Berry-Shindig City a listen, I'm sure he'd like them.

Ayup Spot, we all kno wot makes you get a tingle! LOL

Wot about erm erm erm whats that one called again???

Oh the ravins,angela davis or my fave at the mo milton james .oops just dribbled :)

I still luv underplayed classic oldies too..

Ok thats settled,which umberella are we gonna put this Latino stuff?? LOL

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

the guys right...when the ravins comes on full bore and the dance floors packed...can't help thinking...WHY WON'T THEY PLAY MY BOBBY KLINE REQUEST? :) and as for that MILTON JAMES...how the hell is that considered up there with dana valery :D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

i agree with winsford soul smile.gif i like the oldies best, but some of the newer stuff is ok. i dunno, theres summat about the old stuff, the newer stuff dont quite hit the spot the same for me. but then who cares, so long as everyone is enjoyin whatever or whichever, it dunt matter really does it :lol:

Social source share

the reason I posted this thread askin the question was because although the music has been part of my life and was into it before it became to be known as northern soul and friends like ken hancock and others who were older than me went to places like the torch and the twisted wheel and brought back sounds to die for ,quite profound for a then 14 yr old who listened in awe at the music which was played in our local youth club and even braved getting a good kicking to go to the georges in barnsley on a saturday afternoon to listen and dance to mitch rider, billy butler,al wilson. richard temple et al..

I grew up with it .it was my life up to being 20 ,then got married ,kids ,mortgage etc.. I never left the scene just made less visits to events, soul music was still the one and only .had a spell working abroad took the music with me ;dabbled in local politics .was a trade union official, in 84/85 during the miners strike we went picketting with .right track,landslide. little queenie and many more blasting out of our mini bus,the length and breadth of our fair country.

divorced, remarried got back into this scene about 10 years ago ,vowed I woulldnt start collecting again just wanted to go and listen and dance...it was brilliant was amazed and awestruck at all the new to me sounds plus all the familiar oldies. just like old ..I knew instinctively a great track and those around me were in agreement.. friends suggested sounds and more often than not they were crackin sounds and I couldnt get enough. used to be one of the nerks that queud at brighouse at 7.30 ,thought tony banks was a genius,

but in the last 2 or 3 years and to me its getting more perverse and insidious djs have started playing more and more disco/modern music ,which to me aint and never will be n/soul ,, yet the events I attend are usually billed as n/soul events. and when I comment on this I am shouted down and told to move on , I have stated before;; whats wrong with keeping the faith, or is that now old hat in the 21st century. I for one believe the scene is losing its working class roots and values and is in danger of becoming a middle aged, middle class, golf club type scene, and woe betide anyone who doesnt like the emporers new clothes.

Edited by barney
Social source share

yes, ive been to dos where theyve billed them as ns night but then its like a trashy disco night, complete with glitterball,wooden wall cladding and tinsel backdrop and the resident john travolta strutting his stuff laugh.gif that does piss me off, if its a ticket jobby paid in advance, its like false advertising,lol.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

It really is each to their own,its personal, and if it works for you then ............... thumbup.gif

Edited by kid mohair
Social source share

Much of the problem IMHO is these all sweeping Stereotypes that people on the scene insist on pigeonholing certain people with, ie........

'Dinosaur' = Baggy trousered, White socks clad 50 year old who only wants to listen to classic oldies.

dont do bags or vests ,white sox dont think so

Social source share

wink.gif p.s. what is the pits though, is, and this has happened to me a few times, is when you see a northern soul night advertised, and get ready on the night for it;get there looking forward to the night, and its a shambles; i.e. kids skidding across the dancefloor on their knees, the dj more interested in his own voice than playing the tunes, and, unfortunately, in many ways, middle aged chavs complete with burberry baseball caps who've 'found' northern soul desperately trying to backdrop etc but really badly and projectiling people across the dancefloor.

its more fun then to make the best of it, and watch the ensuing carnage and mayhem and just lol. :lol:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

:lol: p.s. what is the pits though, is, and this has happened to me a few times, is when you see a northern soul night advertised, and get ready on the night for it;get there looking forward to the night, and its a shambles; i.e. kids skidding across the dancefloor on their knees, the dj more interested in his own voice than playing the tunes, and, unfortunately, in many ways, middle aged chavs complete with burberry baseball caps who've 'found' northern soul desperately trying to backdrop etc but really badly and projectiling people across the dancefloor.

its more fun then to make the best of it, and watch the ensuing carnage and mayhem and just lol. :lol:

over the years we have done our homework on events and only go to the ones that suit us, not calling others, its just that what is the point in going to somewhere that dont tick the box............ huh.gif

Social source share

sometimes, im only 33 btw, sometimes, depending on where ya live, it isnt always possible to go to the better nights, and i have got desperate in the past! everyone likes to have good nights out, me included, but when ya dont know where to start to go to good ns nights, what dya do? smile.gif particularly if nowadays youre young, you cant drive, and not many of your mates are into the same scene.

im the kind of person that likes to go to places, and to try out new venues etc, and unfortunately sometimes that comes with a price of having a shite night,lol.

Social source share

smile.gif dont get me wrong, ive been to some wicked nights too, but the point i was making is, and i was agreeing with barney, that it is a let down when you do go to a ns night that you normally wouldnt attend, and its more like a disco night than a northern night. :lol:

i cant help it, im with barney on this one, because my parents were into ns, and ive been brought up on the oldies, what i call true northern, coz if ya didnt have that, you have to ask yoursen, would ya have modern northern? :lol: and when your into the oldies, then you imagine it, ya go to a northern night and theyre playin that soul house stuff. :lol:

Social source share

smile.gif dont get me wrong, ive been to some wicked nights too, but the point i was making is, and i was agreeing with barney, that it is a let down when you do go to a ns night that you normally wouldnt attend, and its more like a disco night than a northern night. :lol:

i cant help it, im with barney on this one, because my parents were into ns, and ive been brought up on the oldies, what i call true northern, coz if ya didnt have that, you have to ask yoursen, would ya have modern northern? :lol: and when your into the oldies, then you imagine it, ya go to a northern night and theyre playin that soul house stuff. :lol:

with you all the way bro ktf :wave:

Social source share

if ya wants a crackin w/ender get to brid last w/end in june .summat fer evrybody specially oldlies :wicked: welcome ter join us :P

Question...

How new or old is the newest/oldest modern soul record and how old does it have to be before its an oldie?

I,like yourself Barney am an unashamed oldies lover.

I have tried to listen in the car and at home to newer stuff and the leseer underplayed stuff but it just doesn't fit the sound of the original oldie that gives me the hairs on the back of the neck feel.

I don't like jazz or stuff that has spiralling sounds or too much sax (there is some great sax sounds in oldies but not spiralling)

I do like old RnB.

Listen to whatever makes you happy, I do.

Also get sick of folks being slagged off for what they wear ...its up to them ...no one else.

Once upon a time what you wore was a statement and was an apsect of the music we followed .....as we get older we no longer have to "prove " we love the music by wearing "a uniform".

All personal choice these days, so enjoy your oldies and the answer to your question Barney... No You aren't a dinosaur

Mand :lol:

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Kid's slidding across floor on their knee's? Bloody hell I thought that was a Peter Kaye thing but I bet you never returned for seconds. I to remember Bunny Sigler, April Stevens, Barbara Lynn & Fuller brothers etc at the Youthie & the cool kid's who'd been to the Twisted Wheel etc that lead to Me & my two best mate's heading with Snowy in October 1972 to the Central Nighter in Leeds & then out & around the entire Country for the next 11/12 years before work basically stopped it but I remember vividly returning & the rush hearing new tunes I'd missed in my absence. :P

I get sick of the same 100 or so Oldies constantly being played as there's thousand's more that could be played but I also remember that to some people these Oldies are actually Newies to their ears & also that some people are more than happy with that & that's cool with me, also how refreshing it was to hear "The Brandy Sister's" play "Poppies" & "August & Deneen" plus other seldom played Oldies at the Manifesto, so take note people. :ohmy:

But what really bug's me though is when a venue advertises "Across the Board Music Policy" only for us to travel to another night of Classic Oldies, so just the same as going to a Northern Soul night to hear Modern (Definition of Modern to an Oldies fan, anything produced/released after Midnight 31st December 1969), as for what to wear that's an individual thing surely? What looks ridiculous to some looks good to others, just look at Teddy Boy's. :lol:

Take care,be safe & remember,"Have yourselves a Merry little Christmas, Let yourselves be light, From now on our troubles will be out of sight",

Spot. :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!