New Zealand 45s

Guest soulfulmouse

Guest soulfulmouse

sorry if wrong place.seeing on johns site nice prices for aussie issues of soul 45s.i picked up a few when i stayed in new zealand .all nz issues.tami lynn ,Jackie lee,esther philips,darell banks etc.just wondering if anyone knows a value for these. thanks jim

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soulfulmouse

Same or more than the Aussie ones I'd say. Once saw a Metros - Since I Found My Baby on a NZ RCA 45

thanks pete.for info.have about a hundred.most of motown ones lovely pink labels.lol

Social source share

Not sure on the value , but i have picked a few good ones up in Australia ..one that stands out is ..shirelles - last minute miracle. great quality vinyl like Uk and Aussie vinyl. I have only found a few NZ related northern over the years, George ( sunny soul ) may be able to shed some more light on releases . Price wise who knows ? has to be up there with the aussie stuff .

best

pete m

Social source share

2bucks? That's the most I've payed for Kiwi N.Z. pink press of Motown singles ... all have the Airplane sleeves .... Only have about 10 or so... but all have a nice loud press. My 2 cents.

Social source share

thanks pete.for info.have about a hundred.most of motown ones lovely pink labels.lol

I used to give them away if anyone staying over fancied one, as they were $2 or less. However, certain more obscure NS releases command somewhat more now :rolleyes: .

Some years back, Frank Driscoll wrote some info for Flynny on Oz releases (which was an extension for the one he wrote for our Sydney hosted 2000 National Oz Weekender magazine - that you might remember Pete?) .

[ READ it on Dave Flynn's website here ]

m

ps. to be honest, I thought I had next to no Oz releases, but have recently found about 20 or so amongst my bits...

I'd assumed they were British :lol:

Social source share

I have a whole shelf of NZ pressed soul 45s. As far as prices go, I don't know, people from places other than New Zealand tend to go a bit nuts for them, but I can't seem to sell them to locals because we pretty much have them all :lol: . It is pretty facemelting the sides that got released here though. 90% of the pink Motown stuff is not very rare, but the sides released by "less famous" groups such as the Vancouvers etc. are tougher to turn up. I see a lot of Fame & Vee Jay stuff on the local Allied & Top Rank labels, Chess family stuff came out on the local Viking & then their own Chess label. There's James Brown stuff on a really beautiful white & red King label, as well as a more traditional blue/silver version. All the Brunswick stuff on a white & purple Coral label. The local Atlantic label had a great run of releases. Really it goes on & on, New Zealanders seemed to buy more soul 45s than Australians back in the day. Pretty much anything that's a little left of your usual top 40 soul stuff should get prices similar to or maybe a bit more than the OZ presses. There are also some real nice NZ EPs & a few great soul 45s cut by local New Zealand artists too. Billy Karaitiana's version of "Cool Jerk" on Festival is pretty great. As for the ones you found - the Jackie Lee on Action & the Darrell Banks on Stateside are not easy finds.

Some examples that I had saved on photobucket

IMG_1007.jpgIMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0400.jpgIMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0520.jpgIMG_0507.jpgIMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0476.jpgIMG_0484.jpgIMG_0488.jpg

Edited by nz45s
Social source share

sorry if wrong place.seeing on johns site nice prices for aussie issues of soul 45s.i picked up a few when i stayed in new zealand .all nz issues.tami lynn ,Jackie lee,esther philips,darell banks etc.just wondering if anyone knows a value for these. thanks jim

Jim,

Post a list up of what you have and I'll price 'em for you.

Social source share

I think the rarest or one of the rarest NZ release must be The Belles "Don't pretend" on NZ Action (a grey label) I had a copy till recently when I sold it for a mate.

Regards,

Alan

Social source share

I think the rarest or one of the rarest NZ release must be The Belles "Don't pretend" on NZ Action (a grey label) I had a copy till recently when I sold it for a mate.

Regards,
Alan

No, the San Francisco TKO's is a world wide recognised NZ only rarity. Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Regards,

Alan

Yeah I've had that too and I think I had a Jackie Lee on the same label, something like that anyway

Social source share

Yeah I've had that too and I think I had a Jackie Lee on the same label, something like that anyway

That's right Pete , Jackie Lee "Do The Temptation Walk" on NZ Action.

However much tougher than either the Belles or Jackie Lee on NZ Action is the Olympics "Secret Agents".

Incidentally the NZ Action label had no connection whatsoever with the UK Action label

Social source share

Practically anything on that small Action label will get you $$$, they just don't turn up, most of the titles are every bit as rare or even rarer than the SF TKO's on Ode. It's just that the TKO's 45 has a different flipside "Acid Lady" that went unissued in the US which makes it a more sought after release. The Jackie Lee is a consistent 70 pound 45 while the TKOs will run you considerably more than that. If you can find them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert