Sent To Wombourne

KevH

Hi, doing a bit of DIY the other day and hit my thumb with a hammer.Got me thinking about the Carstairs and Pete S.

Loved the way he dealt with the Carstairs .( although i like it).

So,,,what record this year has been hammered,deserves to be hammered, in your area?

Which record should be "Sent to Wombourne" (could be a new NS phrase), to be dealt with in a Carstairs manner.?

I'm sure Pete S would oblige. :yes: .

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi, doing a bit of DIY the other day and hit my thumb with a hammer.Got me thinking about the Carstairs and Pete S.

So,,,what record this year has been hammered,deserves to be hammered, in your area?

Which record should be "Sent to Wombourne" (could be a new NS phrase), to be dealt with in a Carstairs manner.?

I'm sure Pete S would oblige. :D .

Chapter Five on some foriegn label. Keep UK Northern Soul on British labels only. :yes:

Social source share

I'm sure Pete S would oblige. :yes: .

The Futures - Party Time Man

The record that put the " dire " into " diarrhoea " ..........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The Futures - Party Time Man

The record that put the " dire " into " diarrhoea " ..........

Malc Burton

Alfie Davison "Serious Business" - used to like this as a new release, then, like a lot of records from that period, something new came along and the two week novelty value of the AD was replaced with some new 2 week novelty. - Never thought the song would dominate the scene to the level it did for so many years - after 3 months I was fed up to the back teeth of it - then it got booted, and booted, and booted, - Trawl then all up and send 'em to Wombourne.

Social source share

Alfie Davison "Serious Business" - used to like this as a new release, then, like a lot of records from that period, something new came along and the two week novelty value of the AD was replaced with some new 2 week novelty. - Never thought the song would dominate the scene to the level it did for so many years - after 3 months I was fed up to the back teeth of it - then it got booted, and booted, and booted, - Trawl then all up and send 'em to Wombourne.

I was just listening to your " last played clip " - the instrumental to The Carstairs " IRHMG " , which brought to mind The Boogie Man Orchestra instrumental of " LLL " - another side that deserves " Hammer Time " ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

All of the so-called rare R&B tracks that clear the dancefloor. These IMHO should deffo be "sent to Wombourne" although Im a bit concerned because the other half comes from there....maybe they should have the hammer treatment whilst on the decks so they dont escape...lol :yes:

Social source share

Guest bazrico

All of the so-called rare R&B tracks that clear the dancefloor. These IMHO should deffo be "sent to Wombourne" although Im a bit concerned because the other half comes from there....maybe they should have the hammer treatment whilst on the decks so they dont escape...lol :)
:D

are we talking about the DJ or record i for one think both should get the hammer treatment lol

Social source share

Wish I'd still got my Carstairs photos :D

:lol: ,so do i.Never mind,time to bring out the "tools" again. :)

My nomination btw is......no,,,,not Dean Barlow.............

Benny(i was born in Wombourne) Troy - I wanna give you tomorrow - nuff said.

Yes,send him back,send my Benny back.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Such gratuitous use of violence against a poor defenceless record Pete. You should be ashamed. I'm surprised the mods allow this kind of shocking imagery on here..... :)

Ian D :D

Funny though Ian, come on...it was only a wind up. The record was obviously broken when I got it. It backfired when I put it on the gas ring and set it on fire..

Social source share

btw being "Sent to Wombourne" should not reflect on the said citizens of Wombourne, as the phrase "Sent to Wombourne" is merely for comic value.

I'm sure its a very nice place. :)

Lovely place, borders Shropshire and Worcestershire and is separated from Wolverhampton and Dudley scum by green belt land

7058-0.jpg

Social source share

Funny though Ian, come on...it was only a wind up. The record was obviously broken when I got it. It backfired when I put it on the gas ring and set it on fire..

What!!!??? You set fire to it as well? :thumbsup:

I feel a new thread coming on : "The 100 Most Imaginative Ways To Destroy Copies Of The Carstairs"..........

Out of curiosity, how come you detest this record so much Pete? I'm curious..........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

What!!!??? You set fire to it as well? :thumbsup:

I feel a new thread coming on : "The 100 Most Imaginative Ways To Destroy Copies Of The Carstairs"..........

Out of curiosity, how come you detest this record so much Pete? I'm curious..........

A few reasons, mainly because I just don't like it - but mainly because of the awful vocals, both lead and backing, and I guess for what it stands for on the Northern Soul scene. I did used to like it a bit in the 70's though.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Hey look what I found... :thumbsup:

post-1893-1227266640_thumb.jpg

post-1893-1227266653_thumb.jpg

post-1893-1227266662_thumb.jpg

post-1893-1227266671_thumb.jpg

post-1893-1227266680_thumb.jpg

I do hope that you have turned the knife in to your local police station while you are there ask them if they would like a copy of the carstairs for their records

Social source share

Lovely place, borders Shropshire and Worcestershire and is separated from Wolverhampton and Dudley scum by green belt land

7058-0.jpg

That bleedin' Third Window From The Right is getting me down. Is that one that could go under the Wombourne hammer?

Yes Wombourne is a lovely place Pete. Been there a couple of times for meetings in the past.

I remember the first time I drove through. There is a nice 'village green' type area that you drive round on a one way system I seem to remember. I had a mate with me who had come for the ride. It was a really pleasant sunny day and as we were driving through the village centre I said to my mate "don't places like this just make you feel all calm and relaxed" at which point a bloke at a junction cut me up and the next second I'm hanging out of the window swearing my head off and calling him all the tw*ts under the sun!!!!! When I'd stopped there was lots of old dears staring at me and I felt a right tw*t meself!! :rolleyes:

Sorry for going off thread.

KTF.

Drew.

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

I assume 'smashing a record to bits with a hammer' is just another way of saying put it to the back of the box for a while. Soulies being non violent and all that.

Cant agree with the Carstairs comments and never will, its as pure a soul record as there ever will be. Stick to Motown if you want perfection.

The current top 100 has not changed much in the last 3 years, so how about from this weekend all you DJs only play records you have not played in the last 3 years and give something else a chance.

Ed

Social source share

That bleedin' Third Window From The Right is getting me down. Is that one that could go under the Wombourne hammer?

Yes Wombourne is a lovely place Pete. Been there a couple of times for meetings in the past.

I remember the first time I drove through. There is a nice 'village green' type area that you drive round on a one way system I seem to remember. I had a mate with me who had come for the ride. It was a really pleasant sunny day and as we were driving through the village centre I said to my mate "don't places like this just make you feel all calm and relaxed" at which point a bloke at a junction cut me up and the next second I'm hanging out of the window swearing my head off and calling him all the tw*ts under the sun!!!!! When I'd stopped there was lots of old dears staring at me and I felt a right tw*t meself!! :rolleyes:

Sorry for going off thread.

KTF.

Drew.

Yeah it's a nice place Drew, not as nice as it was before they built on every bit of land though, in fact only ever had one problem, I was driving in the village and some c*nt cut me up, stuck his head out the window and called me a tw*t!

Social source share

Yeah it's a nice place Drew, not as nice as it was before they built on every bit of land though, in fact only ever had one problem, I was driving in the village and some c*nt cut me up, stuck his head out the window and called me a tw*t!

Why did'nt you get out of your, car walk across to his motor , drag him out by the scruff of his neck, push him on to the bonnet of his car........ and hit him with your pussycat hammer :rolleyes:

Social source share

Incidentaly, I'm the guy who put up the MySpace site for "The Greatest Record Of All Time" (which is obviously The Carstairs). I've forgotten my password so I haven't been in there lately, but if I can get in I'll post up Pete's pictures of wanton destruction and announce the 'lost' instrumental.............

I'm even tempted to check out Womborne now.....

You mad demented fool :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert