I Rate This As One Of The Rarest 45's I've Ever Had

Pete S

There's an interesting story behind this one. Back in 1991 I was running a magazine called Beatin Rhythm and was also at the peak of my UK label collecting phase, and I was contacted by this chap John Ritson who was the original lead singer of Chapter Five. He was after a copy of One In A Million, which I had, but didn't want to part with really. Anyway he sent me lots of great cuttings and we had a good chat and one of the things he told me was that the band's manager, the apparently aptly named Mervyn Conn, had asked him to leave the band and go solo and call himself John St. John. This suggestion didn't go down too well and the band stayed together for a while longer and then split.

Anyway a couple of years ago, to my and several other peoples astonishment, a German copy of You Can't Mean It backed with One In A Million was turned up, complete with picture sleeve and credited to John St. John! At the weekend I was browsing Ebay and lo and behold, there's another copy of John St. John but this time on an Italian label called GTA records.

It was described as VG- with a small edge crack but I thought I'd go for it anyway. So I won it at £118 (I bid £350) and I've now got it and not only does it play near mint with no sound from the crack, the sound quality is unbelievable, it's better than the UK CBS copy (which I also have). Note that they've mixed the composers up too.

The point of all this is - I've had hundreds and hundreds of rare records over the years, going up to £2500 on one thing I sold, but I rate this particular record as being up amongst the rarest of them all. How many copies are known? Can't be that many. And I know it's a love or hate record but I absolutely love it!

post-1893-1227178664_thumb.jpg post-1893-1227178686_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 63
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Wow Pete that is a rare one. Ive been collecting things like that on and off for 30 years and have never heard of it on that label, i knew someone who had a South-African copy once but i dont think it was backed with One in a million.

Edited by KELBOY
Social source share

Wow Pete that is a rare one. Ive been collecting things like that on and off for 30 years and have never heard of that, i knew someone who had a south-african copy once.

Yes I've had the South African one through my hands, tri centre which makes it look really weird

Social source share

Been trying to find a german copy for years now w/out any luck. I consider it to be among the rarest Euro soul releases.

I wish I had either a german or italian press, both Chapter Five goodies on one 45, wow!

What was the German label Benji, was it Ariola or Artone, something like that?

Social source share

There's an interesting story behind this one. Back in 1991 I was running a magazine called Beatin Rhythm and was also at the peak of my UK label collecting phase, and I was contacted by this chap John Ritson who was the original lead singer of Chapter Five. He was after a copy of One In A Million, which I had, but didn't want to part with really. Anyway he sent me lots of great cuttings and we had a good chat and one of the things he told me was that the band's manager, the apparently aptly named Mervyn Conn, had asked him to leave the band and go solo and call himself John St. John. This suggestion didn't go down too well and the band stayed together for a while longer and then split.

Anyway a couple of years ago, to my and several other peoples astonishment, a German copy of You Can't Mean It backed with One In A Million was turned up, complete with picture sleeve and credited to John St. John! At the weekend I was browsing Ebay and lo and behold, there's another copy of John St. John but this time on an Italian label called GTA records.

It was described as VG- with a small edge crack but I thought I'd go for it anyway. So I won it at £118 (I bid £350) and I've now got it and not only does it play near mint with no sound from the crack, the sound quality is unbelievable, it's better than the UK CBS copy (which I also have). Note that they've mixed the composers up too.

The point of all this is - I've had hundreds and hundreds of rare records over the years, going up to £2500 on one thing I sold, but I rate this particular record as being up amongst the rarest of them all. How many copies are known? Can't be that many. And I know it's a love or hate record but I absolutely love it!

Docrobert(Rob Bailey) on here as one,i said on here sounds much better.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Saw this, think I might have bidded on it, but the crack put me off - There was talk on here a few months ago when some other John St John variation turned up on Ariola, probably the one pictured above.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Personally any copies of Chapter five that turn up just increase my potential misery factor, and by that i mean there might be even more chance of me having to hear it ever again

The abriged version with 4 chapter sounds good to me

But as you are well aware its just my opinion, as is yours relating to my all time fave. the Carstairs

See ya soon

Paul

Social source share

Peter,

Personally any copies of Chapter five that turn up just increase my potential misery factor, and by that i mean there might be even more chance of me having to hear it ever again

The abriged version with 4 chapter sounds good to me

But as you are well aware its just my opinion, as is yours relating to my all time fave. the Carstairs

See ya soon

Paul

Speechless.

That anyone could actually enjoy listening to The Carstairs I mean.

Might as well get a group of singing dogs and make them howl into a microphone.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest julesp1905

Always remember back in the late 80's the aptly named Lee Bates from Kent placed an ad in the local Barrow in Furness paper looking for a copy of Both Chapter 5 Singles, think he got 5 copies of YCMI and 8 OIAM before the said local rag run a story detailing the value of the records and the offers then ran out.

Social source share

Always remember back in the late 80's the aptly named Lee Bates from Kent placed an ad in the local Barrow in Furness paper looking for a copy of Both Chapter 5 Singles, think he got 5 copies of YCMI and 8 OIAM before the said local rag run a story detailing the value of the records and the offers then ran out.

Thats a true story but the figures are wrong, I don't think he got any OIAM which would make sense seeing as it never got into the shops but he did get a few YCMI. My mate Gary White got me one using the same method, though he did live in Barrow. He actually worked with the songwriter of YCMI, Dave McGerty, who was a security guard at the Vickers establishment. Come to think of it, it was me who put D McG in touvh with Goldmine to get the record reissued, did I get a thank you, did I b*llocks :P

Social source share

Speechless.

That anyone could actually enjoy listening to The Carstairs I mean.

Might as well get a group of singing dogs and make them howl into a microphone.

PMSL, l swear to god l'm gonna bang your heads together :P:lol:

Social source share

Thats a true story but the figures are wrong, I don't think he got any OIAM which would make sense seeing as it never got into the shops but he did get a few YCMI. My mate Gary White got me one using the same method, though he did live in Barrow. He actually worked with the songwriter of YCMI, Dave McGerty, who was a security guard at the Vickers establishment. Come to think of it, it was me who put D McG in touvh with Goldmine to get the record reissued, did I get a thank you, did I b*llocks :)

the local newspaper clip may be up here somewhere ?

defintely a recent photo of them reformed in the gallery

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Thats a true story but the figures are wrong, I don't think he got any OIAM which would make sense seeing as it never got into the shops but he did get a few YCMI. My mate Gary White got me one using the same method, though he did live in Barrow. He actually worked with the songwriter of YCMI, Dave McGerty, who was a security guard at the Vickers establishment. Come to think of it, it was me who put D McG in touvh with Goldmine to get the record reissued, did I get a thank you, did I b*llocks :)

Almost certain he got some OIAM Demos, Think he claimed he was a band member after his recording's which is why there was a front page story about the scam he was pulling.

Social source share

I may have mentioned it before (or was it on RareSoulForum.com?), that there is also an original acetate of the Chapter 5's backing track of OIAM, but with Kenny Bernard singing the song! The link is that they had the same manager (or was it producer - been a while since I checked!) at the time. A right thumping version it makes too, but still not as good as MaxineB, naturally!

:wicked:

Social source share

Almost certain he got some OIAM Demos, Think he claimed he was a band member after his recording's which is why there was a front page story about the scam he was pulling.

I've got the article - well maybe I haven't actually still got the original I but I did print it and I've got a copy of the magazine I printed it in - and it just explains that the record has been 'discovered' by someone from kent and now everyone is looking for a copy, and it shows a battered no centre copy of the record

Social source share

I may have mentioned it before (or was it on RareSoulForum.com?), that there is also an original acetate of the Chapter 5's backing track of OIAM, but with Kenny Bernard singing the song! The link is that they had the same manager (or was it producer - been a while since I checked!) at the time. A right thumping version it makes too, but still not as good as MaxineB, naturally!

ph34r.gif

I heard you play it at Brighton Dave - it was a great version - the link being Mervyn Conn the manager

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Hi pete. cud you ,tell me woy Don Gardner.my baby likes to boogaloo.(tru-glo-town) costs. thanks;burt.(hicky)

Social source share

Lee got 5 copies of YCMI. ( Well, thats the laugh we always have about it anyway, eh mate?) Chemicals??

Edited by Jim Elliott
Social source share

:thumbsup: Hi Pete as a UK collector I know you have had a UK demo of this.( IT LOOKS LIKE ROCKING HORES SHIT WOULD I BE CORRECT IN THIS ASUPTION) :thumbup: DAVE KIL

Social source share

:thumbsup: found these as well;wiv this bag from about 79 i tink..ha.post-11211-1242054752_thumb.jpg

:lol: yeah sos pete,aint too gud at this bloody pc eeva.its a dutch,copy,woz in sealed bag etc.ill try n work macro etc out.ive got a lot ov other stuff,few thousand i bought few yrs back.just started gettin out me lock ups.;;;it woz barcley james-harvest as well..cheers m8 x. :thumbsup:post-11211-1242074644_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Well Jules, dont believe all that you hear....I infact only got 5 copys of "You can't mean it" one of which still sits in my collection, the rest are long gone. No "One in a million" demos.

And as for being a band member... laugh.gif lolol a 38 year old Kentish one...no, where the hell did that come from? Actually I never saw the article but would be keen on seeing it if anybody has a copy.

Social source share

Lee got 5 copies of YCMI. ( Well, thats the laugh we always have about it anyway, eh mate?) Chemicals??

I did indeed Mr Elliott....always laugh about the fact that when Jim and I were at the 100 Club some waster offered to do an exchange for "chemicals" for a copy :wanker: . No ta and I wasnt even wearing a lab coat!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert