James Brown On The Modern Soul Scene

Guest OSCARP

Hello.............James Brown funk is not my scene but I do like his more mid tempo soul outings that have been played more recently on the Modern scene. I know of SOMETIME and LOST SOMEONE, but i had a feeling one more was played, again in this midtempo vein from one of his 70's Polydor album, maybe Cliff Steele will know ?? All info will be appreciated .............regards Barry

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello.............James Brown funk is not my scene but I do like his more mid tempo soul outings that have been played more recently on the Modern scene. I know of SOMETIME and LOST SOMEONE, but i had a feeling one more was played, again in this midtempo vein from one of his 70's Polydor album, maybe Cliff Steele will know ?? All info will be appreciated .............regards Barry

Agree with you there Barry, never a fan of his funk, but there's some great mid-tempo 70's things around.

along with the 2 ya mention, I also really rate...

"You Took My Heart"

"So long"

"Your Love Was Good to Me"

"People Wake Up And Live"

and his duo with Lynn Collins

"What My Baby Needs Now"

...I'd be interested in any others in this vein too! :rolleyes:

steve

Social source share

People wake up and live?

theres a track on the 'Hell' lp aswell I think?

Social source share

Hi Paul................The first two tracks i mentioned are from the " Hell " album, and the WAKE UP AND LIVE track was known from the later days at " The Mecca ", but i thought one more was played out big time at soul essence or lifeline, both of these venues I have never attended :rolleyes: . I really like the CROSSOVER FRIDAY & Pure Soul From The 60's 70's 80's And Modern, Sophisticated Soul Music , nice tunes Ian Nichol and others who have contributed to these threads............regards Barry

Social source share

Hi Malayka...................Have you got a link or mp3 of this track please..........regards Barry

Hi,

Check out " I love you for sentimental reasons" by him on polydor. My Jb fave at the moment.

Malayka

Social source share

QUITE POSSIBLE THE GREATEST SOUL RECORD EVER IS GEORGIA ON MY MIND ON KING I AM BIASED HIS GENIUS IS IMMENCE,ALL THE STUFF MENTIONED PLUS ALL THE STUFF HE PRODUCED SOME THAT SPRING TO MIND ARE THE BUE DOLLAR TRACK ON KING WHICH IS FINALLY GETTING REGOGNITION AND ALL THEM INCREDIBLE VIKKI ANDERSON TUNES ON BOTH KING AND DELUX INCLUDING THE AWESOME I NEED YOUR LOVE AND ANSWER TO MOTHER POPCORN ETC.INFACT CHECK OUT THE WHOLE DE LUX LOGO HIS INVOLVEMENT WAS ALL OVER IT,HIS TALENT IS INCREDIBLE BEEN PLAYING STONE FOX TONIGHT ANOTHER CORKER ON KING!

BAZ A :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I presume nothing has ever been played off his Agusta Sound lp "Bring It On" ?

I actually quite like his take on "your precious love" from that album.

My personal faves of JB's are "Try me " and "Prisoner of love".

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Lost someone - fantastic on Hell album - also great is - These foolish things remind me of you - on same album or on 45. i agree that ' people wake up and live - is also great 70's JB

adam

Social source share

Hi,

Check out " I love you for sentimental reasons" by him on polydor. My Jb fave at the moment.

Malayka

I also like this - however towards the end of the tune he reverts to his "Godfather of Funk" mode which messes the record up slightly IMHO.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert