Out-of-sights

KevH

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Pretty sure the old Blackbeat had a Lou Ragland feature and a good one by John Smith, so maybe Steve G will remember if mentioned, assuming his memory hasn't gone with his new age :thumbsup:

Ha ha ha.

I'll check but pretty certain he ran the label and the OOS's were just a group of kids who he recorded two singles on.

Social source share

Ha ha ha.

I'll check but pretty certain he ran the label and the OOS's were just a group of kids who he recorded two singles on.

the kiddie group on the label were the elements. the elements are the same group as the del-nita group and as the moving violation on atlantic. i'm not 100% but i don't think the out of sights were kids.

Social source share

Did some research a few years back for a second records review article for Derek that I never submitted...

This particular label was apparently formed by Lou "I Travel Alone" Ragland in 1968, although the track's composer Chuck Brown, has also been credited as a probable owner.

Found this somewhere back then too:

"The Out-Of-Sights-Members were Gregory Still (brother of Charles "SLICK" Still lead singer on "I Was Wrong". Paul Woodall (former member of The Tam-A-Las in John Wilson's high school group), Stan Reeves who now is a policeman, Harry Stewart, the late Larry Wade. Rumored Chuck Brown was a member of this group, but he was never a musician. Always has been in The Bail Bondmans Business."

m

Social source share

https://www.answers.com/topic/the-out-of-sights

• Genre: Rock
  • Active: '60s
  • Major Members: Harry Stewart, Stan Reeves, Paul Woodall, Gregory Still, Larry Wade

A tall, slick quintet from Cleveland's Lee-Harvard area that recorded for bail bondsman, Chuck Brown's Saru label. They cut four singles in the early seventies, but if you don't have the original 45 rpm's you're out-of-luck, Saru's recordings, except for a few Ponderosa Twins Plus One sides, are not available on CD. The Out-of-Sights: Gregory Still, Paul Woodall, Stan Reeves, Harry Stewart, and Larry Wade formed at John F. Kennedy High.

Lou Ragland, the first A&R man for Saru, produced their recordings when the company was located near downtown on Payne Street across from the old Police Station. Bobby Massey was Saru's A&R Director after Ragland, his productions, naturally, had a different feel; by this time, Saru was on Miles Road.

Massey was a card-carrying original member of the O'Jays when he started producing for Saru; he stayed with Saru with aspirations of being a big producer when Eddie Levert, Walter Williams, and William Powell reunited with Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff to record for Philadelphia International Records. Massey and the guys were burned by Gamble & Huff before on Neptune Records, and Massey thought this "new deal" was going to be the same oh same oh; but the calculated risk proved disastrous (for Massey), Eddie, Walter, and William finally reached the heights they'd dreamed of, and Massey's probably still smarting over his decision.

The Out-of-Sights recordings didn't get much acceptance, but this was due to inadequate promotion and not what was in the grooves. The A-Sides were "For The Rest of My Life," "I Can't Take It," "Tears Don't Care Who Cry," and the plaintive but emotional "I Was Wrong," a sobber, led by Gregory Still. Where are they now? Larry Wade has deceased, Stan Reeves is a policeman, and the others are still around but out of music. Still's brother Charles sang with Sly, Slick & Wicked who recorded for JuPar and Peoples Records. ~ Andrew Hamilton, All Music Guide

Answers.com - great innit!

:D

Sean

Social source share

• Major Members: Harry Stewart, Stan Reeves, Paul Woodall, Gregory Still, Larry Wade

A tall, slick quintet from Cleveland's Lee-Harvard area that recorded for bail bondsman, Chuck Brown's Saru label. They cut four singles in the early seventies, but if you don't have the original 45 rpm's you're out-of-luck, Saru's recordings, except for a few Ponderosa Twins Plus One sides, are not available on CD. The Out-of-Sights: Gregory Still, Paul Woodall, Stan Reeves, Harry Stewart, and Larry Wade formed at John F. Kennedy High.

Lou Ragland, the first A&R man for Saru, produced their recordings when the company was located near downtown on Payne Street across from the old Police Station. Bobby Massey was Saru's A&R Director after Ragland, his productions, naturally, had a different feel; by this time, Saru was on Miles Road.

Massey was a card-carrying original member of the O'Jays when he started producing for Saru; he stayed with Saru with aspirations of being a big producer when Eddie Levert, Walter Williams, and William Powell reunited with Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff to record for Philadelphia International Records. Massey and the guys were burned by Gamble & Huff before on Neptune Records, and Massey thought this "new deal" was going to be the same oh same oh; but the calculated risk proved disastrous (for Massey), Eddie, Walter, and William finally reached the heights they'd dreamed of, and Massey's probably still smarting over his decision.

The Out-of-Sights recordings didn't get much acceptance, but this was due to inadequate promotion and not what was in the grooves. The A-Sides were "For The Rest of My Life," "I Can't Take It," "Tears Don't Care Who Cry," and the plaintive but emotional "I Was Wrong," a sobber, led by Gregory Still. Where are they now? Larry Wade has deceased, Stan Reeves is a policeman, and the others are still around but out of music. Still's brother Charles sang with Sly, Slick & Wicked who recorded for JuPar and Peoples Records. ~ Andrew Hamilton, All Music Guide

:D

Sean

fantastic stuff guys!!!

Anyone got soundfiles to add?.- " I can't take it" and "Tears don't care who cry"?

Social source share

:thumbup:

Sean

I think Andrew Hamilton told me he actually worked at Saru records for a while

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert