Manchester Oldies Scene Dead?

Citizen P

Guest chorleybloke

Really good topic and lots of valid points...

Mark B says it all really... "I think that the scene has probably split into too many factions now, and there is probably no way back"

Yes there are many splits with so many people keen to dj and promote, but i can only speak about the more progressive soul nights as i don't go to any oldies events now...

Sorry if a little off topic but thats the way the thread was going..

mark

Na then everyone - the solution is quite straightforward, emigrate to Australia then you'll be gagging for every single NS do you can get your hands (feet) on. Absolutely no chance of apathy setting in down here! There are about 100 enthusiasts catching flights to Perth as I speak - and the NW is very well represented.

Cheers...........Pete

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Isn't the "Granddaddy of them all" going strong at The twisted Wheel, loads going from THIS area, Notts , derbys ,S yorks.

rob

Yes mate was going to mention that :thumbup: . Can't comment on the friday night sessions but over last 6 months I have been to 2/3 of the sunday afternoon sessions and they were rammed. Does this buck the trend?

I travel up from Stoke and I noticed a fair few from there and Crewe area as well as you say S. yorks.

I think possibly its the atmosphere it creates. Its the old style 'dungeon' type club with loads of little alcoves and corridors that were prevalent in the 60's and 70's . You never feel as though you are 'rattling' around as in some of the newer venues :thumbup:

There is a danger of attracting non soulie p*ss heads but I didn't see any and with the policy of 'good time old wheel sounds it creates a very friendly and welcoming venue. It perpetuates a nostalgia scene --but hey it works :lamsey: eg Something keeps calling me back --wayne fontana---dance floor full and rockin----takes yer back a bit dunnit?

There is a fair few ex wheelites that go but also a younger element as well ---very good mix and it works imo. In short its not difficult to have good time here as long as yer don't go expecting to hear the next big thing music wise

Social source share

The oldies scene may be dying up North, BUT, in NOTTs, its alive and kicking. Back to basics thats what we need!

No bloody rubbish, just proper Northern.....So keep you other stuff..."It will NOT happen"

Maybe Manchester can take a leaf from these 'proper' soulies book and get back to the way it was?

Proper pictures too, with proper dancing! thumbsup.gif

p.s. Dont forget your dancing shoes......NO TRAINERS!

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/uploads...66_10_20324.jpg

SATURDAY November 22nd... 100% NORTHERN SOUL AS IT SHOULD BE ! GET YER DANCIN SHOES ON RIGHT NOW! ...don't come expecting modern or crossover....it will not happen, ....not here...it's how it is..

8.00 PM TILL 1.00,.... 12.30 BAR..... £3.00 OTD ! .......5 hours of dancing....5 days of aches and pains after!

(2nd saturday of every month)

DJ'S........ RAY N' DENNIS ...

ROBIN HOOD,

CROSSROAD,

CLIPSTONE ROAD,

EDWINSTOW,

NG21 9JA

PROMOTERS RAY N' MARY !

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

The oldies scene may be dying up North, BUT, in NOTTs, its alive and kicking. Back to basics thats what we need!

No bloody rubbish, just proper Northern.....So keep you other stuff..."It will NOT happen"

Maybe Manchester can take a leaf from these 'proper' soulies book and get back to the way it was?

Proper pictures too, with proper dancing! :thumbsup:

p.s. Dont forget your dancing shoes......NO TRAINERS!

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/uploads...66_10_20324.jpg

SATURDAY November 22nd... 100% NORTHERN SOUL AS IT SHOULD BE ! GET YER DANCIN SHOES ON RIGHT NOW! ...don't come expecting modern or crossover....it will not happen, ....not here...it's how it is..

8.00 PM TILL 1.00,.... 12.30 BAR..... £3.00 OTD ! .......5 hours of dancing....5 days of aches and pains after!

ROBIN HOOD,

CROSSROAD,

CLIPSTONE ROAD,

EDWINSTOW,

NG21 9JA

PROMOTERS RAY N' MARY !

oooohhhh!!!!!.Don't start Paul,you naughty boy.

If you want to name clubs,then name 'em,don't bring Notts into it. :rolleyes: .Had enough with the other thread.

Its not about Manchester versus anyone,,,,. :P

Social source share

ROBIN HOOD,

CROSSROAD,

CLIPSTONE ROAD,

EDWINSTOW,

NG21 9JA

PROMOTERS RAY N' MARY !

Dont understand your post paul. I guess it's something that's past me by. Though relevant in a way you'll never understand.

Promoters Ray and Mary?.. Give Mary my regards. :rolleyes:

Jayne.

Social source share

oooohhhh!!!!!.Don't start Paul,you naughty boy.

If you want to name clubs,then name 'em,don't bring Notts into it. :rolleyes: .Had enough with the other thread.

Its not about Manchester versus anyone,,,,. :D

Im Cambridge not Manchester. just thought id let people know the 'Roots' are still alive! :P Non of that new fangled 'modern' or 'crossover' rubbish! And a poster with proper dance moves on. See, you can still bust those extreme moves well into middle age! :thumbsup: Totally inspirational.

Social source share

Yes mate was going to mention that :rolleyes: . Can't comment on the friday night sessions but over last 6 months I have been to 2/3 of the sunday afternoon sessions and they were rammed. Does this buck the trend?

I travel up from Stoke and I noticed a fair few from there and Crewe area as well as you say S. yorks.

I think possibly its the atmosphere it creates. Its the old style 'dungeon' type club with loads of little alcoves and corridors that were prevalent in the 60's and 70's . You never feel as though you are 'rattling' around as in some of the newer venues :thumbsup:

There is a danger of attracting non soulie p*ss heads but I didn't see any and with the policy of 'good time old wheel sounds it creates a very friendly and welcoming venue. It perpetuates a nostalgia scene --but hey it works :P eg Something keeps calling me back --wayne fontana---dance floor full and rockin----takes yer back a bit dunnit?

There is a fair few ex wheelites that go but also a younger element as well ---very good mix and it works imo. In short its not difficult to have good time here as long as yer don't go expecting to hear the next big thing music wise

Hi,

Yep, it bucks the trend. It's been like this for a few years. I think it's a special case though. There are many who go to the Wheel but are not interested in going to too many other venue's nor do they want anything other than traditional Wheel sounds at their night. Monarco at Hindley is another one you too but to be fair I haven't been for months so I'm not sure what it's like now. But I'd say about both venue's that their crowd is loyal to them and certainly don't travel. It's baffling.

I think Mark B might be right y'know.

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Im Cambridge not Manchester. just thought id let people know the 'Roots' are still alive! :P Non of that new fangled 'modern' or 'crossover' rubbish! And a poster with proper dance moves on. See, you can still bust those extreme moves well into middle age! :rolleyes: Totally inspirational.

its a Manchester thread Paul :D .

And you're still naughty.As the vultures in Jungle Book say...."don't start that again!!" :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi,

Yep, it bucks the trend. It's been like this for a few years. I think it's a special case though. There are many who go to the Wheel but are not interested in going to too many other venue's nor do they want anything other than traditional Wheel sounds at their night. Monarco at Hindley is another one you too but to be fair I haven't been for months so I'm not sure what it's like now. But I'd say about both venue's that their crowd is loyal to them and certainly don't travel. It's baffling.

Jayne.x

Jayne ,Hi

Yeah baffling indeed. I mentioned in my 'wheel' bit about the atmosphere being a 'draw' but as you say its probably loyalty to the venue/ethos of the place. Now you mentioned Mark b and his thoughts on too many factions. There certainly is and established venues have an ever decreasing smaller and smaller group of loyal 'fans' -----as options increase on where to go.

Mentioning the atmosphere thingy again, I have been to the Greatstone a fair few times(and I'm an oldies fan :unsure: )and thought the atmosphere was spot on and would go again cos its a good atmosphere.

Another do that seems always to be pretty packed is that Guild hall at Stockport---been a few times(although one room does tend to be quite discoey :D ---is that a word) .

What seems to work also(although again it may be loyalty) are nites that run to a theme. I go to Neil Rushton's soulvation nites in the west Mids and they can have nites like a 'Cats' Special or Mecca memories and so on and they are well attended.

In that way the punter knows what they are going to get and can make an informed choice(if yer see wot I mean)

In fact BazM on here is doing a ritz oldies special in december at Prestwich so I will try and get to that and I know what I 'm going to get.

Speaking as a punter in times of credit crunch etc it may make more sense to spend yer dosh at venues what yer know is going to deliver what you want(removes the risk of wasting yer hard earned :D )

perhaps 6/12 months ago yer could take a risk with venues 'cos hey its only money attitude prevailed. I think nowadays some folks want more of a 'guarrantee' of having a really good night.

Another one that is rammed is Brighouse---but thats another story and area!!!.................

I don't think there's a magic formula

I do feel sorry though for established venues (irrespective of music policy)that are feeling it a bit tight at the mo. I can't for the life of me understand why people open new venues nowadays that offer NOTHING different. Who wants another WMC whether it be the rarest of the rare or club classics --it just dilutes the scene . Choice is good but this is gluttony rolleyes.gif

Jez(bored at work and thinking can I afford Brig this friday :lol::lol::lol:g.gif )

Social source share

Jayne ,Hi

Yeah baffling indeed. I mentioned in my 'wheel' bit about the atmosphere being a 'draw' but as you say its probably loyalty to the venue/ethos of the place. Now you mentioned Mark b and his thoughts on too many factions. There certainly is and established venues have an ever decreasing smaller and smaller group of loyal 'fans' -----as options increase on where to go.

Mentioning the atmosphere thingy again, I have been to the Greatstone a fair few times(and I'm an oldies fan :unsure: )and thought the atmosphere was spot on and would go again cos its a good atmosphere.

Another do that seems always to be pretty packed is that Guild hall at Stockport---been a few times(although one room does tend to be quite discoey :D ---is that a word) .

What seems to work also(although again it may be loyalty) are nites that run to a theme. I go to Neil Rushton's soulvation nites in the west Mids and they can have nites like a 'Cats' Special or Mecca memories and so on and they are well attended.

In that way the punter knows what they are going to get and can make an informed choice(if yer see wot I mean)

In fact BazM on here is doing a ritz oldies special in december at Prestwich so I will try and get to that and I know what I 'm going to get.

Speaking as a punter in times of credit crunch etc it may make more sense to spend yer dosh at venues what yer know is going to deliver what you want(removes the risk of wasting yer hard earned :D )

perhaps 6/12 months ago yer could take a risk with venues 'cos hey its only money attitude prevailed. I think nowadays some folks want more of a 'guarrantee' of having a really good night.

Another one that is rammed is Brighouse---but thats another story and area!!!.................

I don't think there's a magic formula

I do feel sorry though for established venues (irrespective of music policy)that are feeling it a bit tight at the mo. I can't for the life of me understand why people open new venues nowadays that offer NOTHING different. Who wants another WMC whether it be the rarest of the rare or club classics --it just dilutes the scene . Choice is good but this is gluttony rolleyes.gif

Jez(bored at work and thinking can I afford Brig this friday :lol::lol::lol::D )

LOL, yep I reckon you're right with your comments.

Baz's Ritz nite was packed last time he put it on too. I think you've answered my question.

Jayne. (Also bored at work and knowing I can't afford Brig this friday! laugh.gif:D )

Social source share

Yes mate was going to mention that :shhh: . Can't comment on the friday night sessions but over last 6 months I have been to 2/3 of the sunday afternoon sessions and they were rammed. Does this buck the trend?

I think possibly its the atmosphere it creates. Its the old style 'dungeon' type club with loads of little alcoves and corridors that were prevalent in the 60's and 70's . You never feel as though you are 'rattling' around as in some of the newer venues :wave:

There is a danger of attracting non soulie p*ss heads but I didn't see any and with the policy of 'good time old wheel sounds it creates a very friendly and welcoming venue. It perpetuates a nostalgia scene --but hey it works :D eg Something keeps calling me back --wayne fontana---dance floor full and rockin----takes yer back a bit dunnit?

Social source share

Hi,

Jayne.x

i go the sunday afternoons at the wheel . Where else do you get a floor full of people dancing to john lee hooker anymore? 1963 TO 1971 the club in its 2 locations covered rhythm and blues to northern soul , and if it was on the original playlists. they will play it. It seems a restricting formula at first and I avoided going for a long while,but thats a lot of sounds that were played in that club.and the crowd respond to it all

Sunday afternoon is a user friendly time for a lot of people, and i do wonder if there is not a lesson there. Can we have Ritz alldayers again? New Century Hall all dayers

I avoid driving back from anywhere after about 12.30 - 1 ish at night, its an age thing for us all , so some nights are a hotel cost plus. The entrance cost to the venue itself is not the issue

I try and get up to Prestbury most months, but that is up against Bolton and Heywood, which dilutes the attendances all round. But it is a free market. If somebody thinks they can run a more souful night they will do. That is the history of the soul scene in the uk.

I share the concern about too many venues competing for the soul punters, and poorly attended events, which could put off future attendances, its a downward spiral.

But check the events section, there is still a lot of soul in the north west.

Social source share

I try and get up to Prestbury most months, but that is up against Bolton and Heywood, which dilutes the attendances all round. But it is a free market. If somebody thinks they can run a more souful night they will do. That is the history of the soul scene in the uk.

I share the concern about too many venues competing for the soul punters, and poorly attended events, which could put off future attendances, its a downward spiral.

We begin to get the the nub of it................

Yes, is still a lot of "Soul "in the North west, the three venues you mention, plus Lowton of course are the ones that I would consider do it the right way.

However-there are plenty of nights, that do not list on here, probably don't even know this site exists,

insisting on putting on do's with little or no regard to anybody else,further, as I've said before, splitting the limited crowd still further until it eventually disappears up it's own arse.

But, hey, so what-

LOOK AT ME, I CAN FILL A DANCEFLOOR ME! :yes:

Tony

Social source share

i go the sunday afternoons at the wheel . Where else do you get a floor full of people dancing to john lee hooker anymore? 1963 TO 1971 the club in its 2 locations covered rhythm and blues to northern soul , and if it was on the original playlists. they will play it. It seems a restricting formula at first and I avoided going for a long while,but thats a lot of sounds that were played in that club.and the crowd respond to it all

Sunday afternoon is a user friendly time for a lot of people, and i do wonder if there is not a lesson there. Can we have Ritz alldayers again? New Century Hall all dayers

I avoid driving back from anywhere after about 12.30 - 1 ish at night, its an age thing for us all , so some nights are a hotel cost plus. The entrance cost to the venue itself is not the issue

That would be northern soul 'For Millionaires Only' then :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert