Jackie Wilson - Because Of You......... Why So Rare?

Guest fuzzyjon

Guest fuzzyjon

Hello....

I'm just wondering why Jackie Wilson's 'Because of You' 7" is so hard to come across for a cheapish price?

Is it simply because it's a current biggie or are there other reasons behind it (e.g. was it only pressed in small quantities for some reason?)..... Just curious because a) I want it! and cool.gif It seems to be slap bang in the middle of discography and there seems no obvious reason why that 7" would be pressed in any less quantity than his others on Brunswick....

Cheers

Jon

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

NOT A RARE RECORD AT ALL. IT ACTUALLY MADE THE BOTTOM END OF THE SOUL CHARTS IN THE USA IN 1973, THERES ISSUES AND DEMOS OF IT. IT PROBABLY SELLS FOR A BIT MORE BECAUSE ITS BEEN HIS MOST IN DEMAND RECORD OVER THE LAST TEN YEARS OR SO. BEFORE THEN IT SOLD FOR THE SAME PRICE AS ALL OF THE OTHER JW DISCS.

BRI PINCH

Social source share

Demand has been high for nearly 20 years.

Supply was never great - It sold very few when first pressed (in comparison to many of his 'hits').

When demand subsides - the price will reduce accordingly.

Sean

OF ALL OF THE 45S JW ISSUE BETWEEN 73 AND 75, IVE LEARNED ABOUT LIFE, WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT LOVE AND THE LIKE. BECAUSE OF YOU WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT ACTUALLY CHARTED IN THE USA. IVE NEVER FOUND IT A PARTICULARLY TOUGH RECORD TO FIND, CERTAINLY NO TOUGHER THAN ANY OF HIS OTHER 70TS 45S, WITH THE EXEPTION OF THIS LOVE IS REAL.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Hello....

I'm just wondering why Jackie Wilson's 'Because of You' 7" is so hard to come across for a cheapish price?

Is it simply because it's a current biggie or are there other reasons behind it (e.g. was it only pressed in small quantities for some reason?)..... Just curious because a) I want it! and cool.gif It seems to be slap bang in the middle of discography and there seems no obvious reason why that 7" would be pressed in any less quantity than his others on Brunswick....

Cheers

Jon

Should not be hard to get hold of. Try Ebay or Gemm.

Social source share

Guest fuzzyjon

Oh good!!! :thumbup: I'm glad it's easy to come by, it's just that whenever I seem to look on eBay & Gemm it's never there!

The only one on Gemm at the mo is a Manship one at £100 + and the only one on eBay is a reissue.... but I'll keep looking!

Cheers for the info everyone.

Jon

Social source share

Oh good!!! :thumbup: I'm glad it's easy to come by, it's just that whenever I seem to look on eBay & Gemm it's never there!

The only one on Gemm at the mo is a Manship one at £100 + and the only one on eBay is a reissue.... but I'll keep looking!

Cheers for the info everyone.

Jon

Just looked at the price guides. Not realised it gone up in price to that extent. Think I better hang onto mine.

Social source share

OF ALL OF THE 45S JW ISSUE BETWEEN 73 AND 75, IVE LEARNED ABOUT LIFE, WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT LOVE AND THE LIKE. BECAUSE OF YOU WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT ACTUALLY CHARTED IN THE USA. IVE NEVER FOUND IT A PARTICULARLY TOUGH RECORD TO FIND, CERTAINLY NO TOUGHER THAN ANY OF HIS OTHER 70TS 45S, WITH THE EXEPTION OF THIS LOVE IS REAL.

BRI PINCH.

Interesting.

I bought most of those tracks as new releases (or soon after release during the 70's) - all as cheap and as common as the proverbial - yet I never even heard "Because Of You" until the mid-late 80's!

Not saying its rare - I've got a Black issue and a White Demo - but for the reasons I stated, an original is bound to be less common than other JW 'hits' as it sold so few in comparison.

Worth remembering that it was 'done' recently with "My Heart Is Calling" on the flip.

One would have thought that might have had a slight cooling off effect on demand.

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Well said Jim, The Beautiful Day LP is one of the great soul LPs from the early 70's, from start to finish, and was very much the brilliant work of Jeff Perry (AKA Jeffree) of Love Dont Come No Stronger and Mr Fixit fame, who at that time was an aspiring songwriter trying to make it.

The LP has other dancers that are even better then the wonderful 'Because of You', notably "This Love Is Mine", and some beautiful soul ballads including the title track, which a certain Brack Obama could I'm sure use as a theme tune ....

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

If this scene judged their records on class alone...this would be the biggest ticket record around

Price is relative...but this record is priceless IMO

Social source share

Well said Jim, The Beautiful Day LP is one of the great soul LPs from the early 70's, from start to finish, and was very much the brilliant work of Jeff Perry (AKA Jeffree) of Love Dont Come No Stronger and Mr Fixit fame, who at that time was an aspiring songwriter trying to make it.

The LP has other dancers that are even better then the wonderful 'Because of You', notably "This Love Is Mine", and some beautiful soul ballads including the title track, which sa certain Brack Obama could I'm sure use as a theme tune ....

Thirded, this is one of my favourite LP's of all time.

This track was a monster back at Shotts, thats about 20 years ago and it probably still gets played out, several times I would imagine, every weekend, quite amazing when you think of it, in both a bad way and a good way I suppose!

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I've always thought it suffered a bit like Walter (let me come back) in that it wasn't rare just a toughie to get your mits on.

Get the 'Beautiful Day' album instead, bliss from start to finish and you'll still have enough for the bus home.

Regards

Jim :thumbsup:

I had the album myself but sold it. Its cheap buy at about £20.

However, owning original albums of tracks that are out on 45 is cheating according to the '45 only fraternity' if you ever try and DJ with them.

Personally, although I love 'Because of You' I think the £10 45 'You left the Fire Burning' or the album only track 'My Heart is Calling' are far far superior Jackie tracks as is 'Try it again'.

He's my favourite vocalist ever. Sheer effortless singer.

Social source share

The only problem I ever had with 'Because Of You is the line 'Just like a mother...you took me in'

Just makes it a little inbred...if she is indeed the love of his life...why is he comparing her to his/a mother?

Plain Wrong :thumbup:

Social source share

The only problem I ever had with 'Because Of You is the line 'Just like a mother...you took me in'

Just makes it a little inbred...if she is indeed the love of his life...why is he comparing her to his/a mother?

Plain Wrong :thumbup:

Its not his Mother he's referring to, Beeks.

It's her Mother.

It's his way of telling her... that he's been seeing her Mum!

:thumbup:

Social source share

I believe Beeks is actually from North Wales.

Read into that what you will.

What do the Welsh call a sheep tied to a lamp post????

A leisure centre. :rolleyes::lol:

Social source share

I had the album myself but sold it. Its cheap buy at about £20.

However, owning original albums of tracks that are out on 45 is cheating according to the '45 only fraternity' if you ever try and DJ with them.

Personally, although I love 'Because of You' I think the £10 45 'You left the Fire Burning' or the album only track 'My Heart is Calling' are far far superior Jackie tracks as is 'Try it again'.

He's my favourite vocalist ever. Sheer effortless singer.

Agree with everything you say there Andy, I love "Just be sincere" and "You got me walking " too.

Social source share

Oh good!!! :wicked: I'm glad it's easy to come by, it's just that whenever I seem to look on eBay & Gemm it's never there!

Cheers for the info everyone

TROUBLE IS ONCE A DEALER PUTS THE PRICE UP THEY ALL FOLLOW SUIT

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

THAT SHOCKS ME TO THE CORE SEAN. I THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE HAD THE LP EARLY DOORS

DAVE

I'm full of surprises Dave :yes: . What you might find even more shocking is I was with Kev Briscoe & John Benson at the time Rod Dearlove played it at Thorne and they didn't know it either! :lol: That must have been around 1989(?)...!

Just goes to show, none of us know it all.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

I'm full of surprises Dave :lol: . What you might find even more shocking is I was with Kev Briscoe & John Benson at the time Rod Dearlove played it at Thorne and they didn't know it either! :lol: That must have been around 1989(?)...!

:ohmy:

Sean

JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT MOST OF US ARE CHASIN THE NEXT BIG ILLUSIVE OBSCURITY AND DON'T LOOK AT THE THINGS IN FRONT OF US HALF THE TIME :g: .LOOKING FORWARD TO SAT'DY AT T' FRIENDSHIP/KINGSTONE :lol: .

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

I'm full of surprises Dave :lol: . What you might find even more shocking is I was with Kev Briscoe & John Benson at the time Rod Dearlove played it at Thorne and they didn't know it either! :g: That must have been around 1989(?)...!

Sean

But in my defence (your honour)... I had seen it mentioned on the odd playlists prior to then and did have the LP - just hadn't gotten around to having a listen to it! :lol:

No smart comments about having too many records etc. either! :lol:

Social source share

But in my defence (your honour)... I had seen it mentioned on the odd playlists prior to then and did have the LP - just hadn't gotten around to having a listen to it! :lol:

No smart comments about having too many records etc. either! :lol:

Think I had the LP too John, at the same time, but like you hadn't played (or properly listened to) that track.

I was right though wasn't I!

I well remember the 3 of us looking blank at each other when Rod first played it there. :g:

Am still waiting to hear my JW tip from yesteryear - "What A Lovely Way" - played out!

Might even give it a run out on Friday. Mmmmmmmm :lol:

So are you going? Might even get the other boys out to play with it being a fairly local gig!

Sean

Oh... and you DO have far to many records and can't possibly know em all. :lol::lol:

Social source share

But in my defence (your honour)... I had seen it mentioned on the odd playlists prior to then and did have the LP - just hadn't gotten around to having a listen to it! :g:

No smart comments about having too many records etc. either! :ohmy:

you got too many gil scott heron records and need to be relieved of one immediatly :lol:

dave

Social source share

Think I had the LP too John, at the same time, but like you hadn't played (or properly listened to) that track.

I was right though wasn't I!

I well remember the 3 of us looking blank at each other when Rod first played it there. :lol:

Am still waiting to hear my JW tip from yesteryear - "What A Lovely Way" - played out!

Might even give it a run out on Friday. Mmmmmmmm :lol:

So are you going? Might even get the other boys out to play with it being a fairly local gig!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Oh... and you DO have far to many records and can't possibly know em all. :lol::(

The other side's not too shabby either!

"You Left The Fire Burning" - Another quality double sider from the Man himself yes.gif

Yep, I might just be there on Saturday, so you better behave yourself! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert