Gil Blanding

Hi Every body , i have a copy iam willing to send to Gil, not that bothered about payment, althought i wouldnt be able to buy another at these prices. So if any one wants to send me a contribution ?. Fantastic record, all the pleasure its given to soulies over the years, its nice to give something back to an artist. Send me your address Gil and i will ship it off to you. ATB everybody Tosh

Brilliant Tosh same offer to you I guess, I take it it's a 'Ready' original?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 96
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Rulessssss , ITS A TRICK:thumbsup: . i have just listened to thattune and can honestly say ive not heard it for best part of 30 years !!

p.s. after listening to it , there seems no doubt it is indeed mr Virgil Henry, good stuff!

perhaps virgil blanding will also want a minter of,you aint sayin nothing new!!!!, :wicked::lol::P:yes::)
Social source share

Just had a PM from JM and the record is secured, so it's up to you all with the pledges if we go with this one or the offer from Tosh here, please let me know what you think and I can confirm everything with JM, also would be good if Gil can reply to this or get in touch with mailing address and we can get your early Christmas present to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Wouldnt it be great if Gil could come over to a well attended soul night here in the UK, and watch the packed dancefloor whilst his work was being played. Maybe even sing along. Come on promoters, be the first to make it happen.

Surely Kev Roberts should be getting over to Chicago next year. Think how many other 'long lost' rare soul acts he must know.

Ed

I think the bracing sea air of Cleethorpes might do him good and a quick round of crazy golf rolleyes.gif x

Social source share

Fare enough Mike- i did say i didnt get it!.

Gil i'm in a lucky position.

Ive got a spare self contained music system(ya know like the old days) looks like the lads are sortin' you out with your tune PM your address and I'll DHL/UPS you the gear to hear it big 'n loud just like it was recorded.

Thanks

Paul

Social source share

Just had a PM from JM and the record is secured, so it's up to you all with the pledges if we go with this one or the offer from Tosh here, please let me know what you think and I can confirm everything with JM, also would be good if Gil can reply to this or get in touch with mailing address and we can get your early Christmas present to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Great gesture geezers. Has he got a record player? laugh.gif

Social source share

Hi this is Gil,

I wanted to thank you for your kind gift and heart felt generosity. It is nice to know that there are angels like you and you can not belive how touched I have been just knowing that my music has been appreciated. That you have enjoyed my work and felt as I did when I created these songs from my heart as god directed me.

Thank you again!

May God Bless All of you.

Sincerely

Virgil

Social source share

Hi Gil,

The Internet is proving to be a wonderful place to catch up with guys like yourself who have had a part in making our scene what it is today. Thankyou for your input. We all appreciate it dearly. How would you feel about an interview for Manifesto magazine, a publication dedicated to soul music. Please e-mail me if you fancy doing something for the mag. Best contact is steve@detroit-soulman.com

Thanks

Steve

Social source share

Ok I have had a PM from Gil with his contact address, the record is in place with JM so now all we need to do is get the pledges in and he should have the record within a week or so, under the circumstances perhaps pledges should be made either by cheque or cash rather than Pay Pal as that could complicate things with the fees etc. so everyone who has pledged a donation PM me and we can work out the details.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Nice you came on here Gil, I've hammered 'Rules' at the 100 Club on London's Oxford Street for 20 years or more; it's one of my favourites and the lyrics are incredible.

Just think, Ady - you could have the real live version singing it to you.....and the rest of us :thumbsup: Gets coat - :wub:

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Hi Gil

How wonderful to have you on here personally! In fact wow.

Rules is certainly a favourite of mine and has bought lots and lots of pleasure to people on packed dance floors over the years. Absolutely brilliant.

How did you come accross this site and the huge fan base you have in the UK.

Peter

:lol:

love "rules" myself pete and same question. is all what it seems?

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Hi Gil

welcome along to soul source

nice to know you are still around and haven't forgotten about your recording

Hey guys don't forget about "I'll be true"--needs more plays

get a clip up on here someone !

Rob & Karen

this type of enterprise should have been taken on by ian levine. the story of eddie and ernie in poverty, drink drugs etc, should have been catered for as well.

Social source share

Hi everyone, ok we have a total of 13 pledges on this including myself which works out at £200.00 divided by 13 = £15.38 each plus a bit towards postage so £16.00 each should cover everything, should have the record from JM later this week and will get it off to Gil as soon as it arrives, if you want to send all pledges to me via cheque then I can sort out JM's payment -

MARK BICKNELL

32 BAKEWELL AVENUE

ASHTON UNDER LYNE

LANCASHIRE

OL6 9BP

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

this type of enterprise should have been taken on by ian levine. the story of eddie and ernie in poverty, drink drugs etc, should have been catered for as well.

It was just Ernie, Eddie was dead. Ace paid Ernie a fair bit of money and went out of our way so that he got more than his dues, but his personal circumstances meant that he carried on living on the street.

Social source share

Had about half of the pledges in for this, John has the record saved so would be good to put this to bed over the next few day's, please feel free to contact me directly viam PM here or email bicknellmark@aol.com, thanks to those of you who have so far sent the pledges in and I look forward to the outstanding ones, send to MARK BICKNELL

32 BAKEWELL AVENUE

ASHTON UNDER LYNE

LANCASHIRE

OL6 9BP.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Had about half of the pledges in for this, John has the record saved so would be good to put this to bed over the next few day's, please feel free to contact me directly viam PM here or email bicknellmark@aol.com, thanks to those of you who have so far sent the pledges in and I look forward to the outstanding ones, send to MARK BICKNELL

32 BAKEWELL AVENUE

ASHTON UNDER LYNE

LANCASHIRE

OL6 9BP.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

get those cheques in the post folks!!

gary

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Big sorry to Gil and JM but one or two people did not respond to the original pledges so still sitting on about half of the money, perhaps the best thing to do is to return those pledges I have so please get in touch via PM or email bicknellmark@aol.com as one or two paid via pay pal and some by cheque, don't worry the money is sitting here in a jar but thought it best to inform You all, I'm not prepared to stump up the short fall at this time as I feel far from soulful,at this moment in time, again very sorry to Gil but we tried and failed.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Big sorry to Gil and JM but one or two people did not respond to the original pledges so still sitting on about half of the money, perhaps the best thing to do is to return those pledges I have so please get in touch via PM or email bicknellmark@aol.com as one or two paid via pay pal and some by cheque, don't worry the money is sitting here in a jar but thought it best to inform You all, I'm not prepared to stump up the short fall at this time as I feel far from soulful,at this moment in time, again very sorry to Gil but we tried and failed.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Theres one in sales for £170 if that helps Mark.

Edited by ken
Social source share

I am very disappointed and disgusted all the monies pledged have not been sent to Mark, I thought this was all done and dusted :(

I dont want my money back I would rather it went to charity..

Steve

Might help if the folks who pledged where outed dont you think ? and all he wanted was a decent mp3 :thumbsup: and maybe dividing the kitty into equel shares probberly didnt help,if someone pledges £20 or whatever that should be it.

Anyone sent Gil a decent mp3/sounfile yet ?. :D

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest bazrico

Might help if the folks who pledged where outed dont you think ? and all he wanted was a decent mp3 :thumbsup: and maybe dividing the kitty into equel shares probberly didnt help,if someone pledges £20 or whatever that should be it.

If anyone can supply a address i will burn a copy of rules onto a cd and will send him a copy, will be back on here 31st dec

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

Already sent an mp3 Ken but it would have been nice to send him a copy of His record, i also agree with you

Social source share

QUOTE (tosh @ Nov 16 08, 08:43 AM) post_snapback.gifHi Every body , i have a copy iam willing to send to Gil, not that bothered about payment, althought i wouldnt be able to buy another at these prices. So if any one wants to send me a contribution ?. Fantastic record, all the pleasure its given to soulies over the years, its nice to give something back to an artist. Send me your address Gil and i will ship it off to you. ATB everybody Tosh

Brilliant Tosh same offer to you I guess, I take it it's a 'Ready' original?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

? Send Tosh the jar.

Edited by ken
Social source share

If Gil is reading this, and most especially if he's also Virgil Henry, I'd like to find a way to film you doing both "Rules" and "You Ain't Saying Nothing New".

We have built up a library for DVD release of as many Northern Soul classic artists as we could find, to keep the music alive for posterity.

Please get in touch with me.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Suggest you open it up to others to meet the shortfall, Mark?

It would be shameful if we didn't follow through on this.

How much is left owing?

Sean

Social source share

Guest posstot

If Gil is reading this, and most especially if he's also Virgil Henry, I'd like to find a way to film you doing both "Rules" and "You Ain't Saying Nothing New".

We have built up a library for DVD release of as many Northern Soul classic artists as we could find, to keep the music alive for posterity.

Please get in touch with me.

Ian, with the greatest respect....Don't touch this record, leave the music as it was, as it was recorded!!

Social source share

Gil Blanding

Ready 102 - Rules / La Ta Ta - 1966

Virgil Blanding (Gil Blanding)

Verve 10428 - Girl Wasn't Born / You Turn Me Aroun' - 1966

Moon Shot 6705 - Birth Of A Man / Little Girl There's Going To Be Trouble - 1968

Virgil Henry (Gil Blanding)

Colossus 102 - I'll Be True* / You Fooled Me - 1969 *also recorded in 1971 by Cookie Woodson on Colossus 148.

Colossus 115 - I Can't Believe You're Really Leaving / You Ain't Sayin' Nothin' New - 1970 .

Tamla 54212 - I Can't Believe You're Really Leaving / You Ain't Sayin' Nothin' New - 1971

Virgil W. Blanding

RVA 2001 - Elephant Time (The New Elephant Dance) / ? - ?

hello gil,just cut and pasted the following discography above from a website called soulful kinda music so are/were you virgil henry of tamla/motown fame???,would love a reply on that one !!!!,plus im another fan of your classic track "rules" it is so nice to hear from you,would also love to hear more about how "rules" came about plus any information about your past recordings would be great , :rolleyes:rolleyes.gif:wave:

What about

VIRGIL BLANDING- You Turn Me Around -VERVE 10428

Social source share

Ian, with the greatest respect....Don't touch this record, leave the music as it was, as it was recorded!!

Yeah, Sure Posstot, just for you I will, and get sued by Motown. When the bill comes, I'll send it to you.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert