Harry Crosby

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

was just wondering who these two were?

They were Tony Johnson and Tyrone Pickens out of Detroit.

Apart from the "Please Operator" 45 they also recorded two more tunes for Atlantic, "Detour" and "Honest I Do" but those remain unissued.

Tony was originally a member of The Magnetics, but can only be heard on their "Where Are You" / "The Train" 45 on ALLRITE (same label as Danny Moore).

Social source share

Have a UK Demo on BULL DOG Records by T n T Title escapes me, any connectin lads, could have been them moon lighting, can't remember what it was like, one of those odd ball things i got when on President Records Mailing list, will have to dig it out :wave:

Think that may be a re-issue. Was it "Whip it..." came out here on Ember [blue]in 60's.

ROD

Social source share

Detroit Duo - Several 45's under their belts.

Tats & Gilly met Tony in a Toilet in a bar about 15 years ago.

Tony was living in his car at the time.

Long story short.

Sean

Sean , I've got video with footage of that at home somewhere , remember him sat in the car talking and then singing over some tape tracks

and If i remember rightly there was a track (a new one then!) which I thought was brilliant :wave: I must have got the vid off Martin or Rob Thomas

Cheers

Swifty

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

We did a thread on Ston-Roc records on SDF about 5yrs ago should still be in the archives on there harry I know they recorded for the label.

Always remember when 'please operator' was first played......still got my copy

mel :lol:

Social source share

Sean , I've got video with footage of that at home somewhere , remember him sat in the car talking and then singing over some tape tracks

and If i remember rightly there was a track (a new one then!) which I thought was brilliant :lol: I must have got the vid off Martin or Rob Thomas

Cheers

Swifty

That's right mate.

Tony was in the front drivers seat, Gilly was in the front passenger seat, Tats was in the back (no room in the front :thumbup: ) with the video camera.

He played them a couple of tracks on cassette and sang over the top of them. Absolutely stunning stuff too!

Think it was the same trip they had Melvin Davis in the car and he started singing "Thinking Of You" the Tim Murray tune which Melvin had written. At the time the record was massive over here so he directs them to the Dog track to see this mate of his... who turned out to be Tim Murray (a white guy) working on the gate!

The video is really Great stuff... trip of a lifetime!

Sean

Social source share

Guest sean daniels

Long story short.

Sean

Thats so sad. Such a shame that a promising career and talent should end up this way

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Long story short.

Sean

OBVIUOSLY DIDN'T GET HIS DIME BACK THEN LOL :ohmy::lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert