The Emperor's New Clothes - Rare, But

Sweeney

Take a listen to Frank Wilson and imagine you've never heard it before....it'll sound like the best record ever made...it's utterly brilliant as a northern soul record

link

true it has got some cridentials, i suppose it is because im sick of hearing it that i think its crap now :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 93
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I think the original point was expensive records that arent as good as the price suggests.

I love Jackie Day - Naughty boy, but given the price for that or a fiver say for Bobby Hebb - Love love love, I'd buy Bobby.

But if the Professionals - That's why I love you; was 50p I would rather buy a bag of out of date salt and vinegar crisps.

Social source share

I agree that Mojo Man by Nelson Sanders is an acquired taste, but the other side of the record, "I'm Lonely" is surely one of the greatest deep soul obscurities, almost without exception.

Agree with some of the choices here, such as Terri Goodnight. I would like to add a particular hate-object of mine: "I Can Feel Him Slipping Away" by Tobbi Bowe on Patheway. Absolutely dreadful and an unforgiveable play when compared to the major label version by Mamie Lee. An almost definitive case of a record played because of its rarity rather than its quality.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest hammy

Frank Wilson is a weak pop soul record. Not crap - but not great.

I've played it to mates who aren't into northern and it normally inspires a fairly indifferent reaction, followed by total bemusement at the price tag.

If we're talking about rarity over quality then surely FW is a prime example and further proof that the scene's unhealthy obsession with rarity over quality didn't start with chinstrokers(sic) and newies in the 80s.

Hammy

Social source share

As I sit sipping Darjeeling during my tea break another overrated turkey comes to mind...

Karmello Brooks - Tell Me Baby

Never got the appeal with this one - sounds like the theme tune to 70s/80s series "Tales of the Unexpected"

Hammy

link

Ooh another good one, not as bad as the areaplone song drone but even worse than Bob and Freds playschool type dirge, good call Mr Ham, now stop slacking in your new job!!

Of course as someone else said as I should say IMVHO! :thumbsup:yes.gif

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Take a listen to Frank Wilson and imagine you've never heard it before....it'll sound like the best record ever made...it's utterly brilliant as a northern soul record

link

Pete,

You must have been on the gas and air early.

Its boring, overated and hyped up.

How can it have ever been voted no 1 Northern record by Kev in his book.

The whole criteria was supposed to be on dance floor reaction. More people danced to this over the years than say 'If thats what you wanted' ? Don't make me laugh. If Kev had never owned it, do you think it would have been 'voted' number one. More chance of Wolves and the Blades reaching the play offs.

Overated at the time, overated now.

The no 1 record IMO is 'Too Late' (and its not one of my favourites)

Rant over, back to the Sheffield thread to talk b*ll*cks

Steve, the voice of reason. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree that Mojo Man by Nelson Sanders is an acquired taste, but the other side of the record, "I'm Lonely" is surely one of the greatest deep soul obscurities, almost without exception.

Agree with some of the choices here, such as Terri Goodnight. I would like to add a particular hate-object of mine: "I Can Feel Him Slipping Away" by Tobbi Bowe on Patheway. Absolutely dreadful and an unforgiveable play when compared to the major label version by Mamie Lee. An almost definitive case of a record played because of its rarity rather than its quality.

link

Yee-haw, we agree on something at last! Tobi Bowe thmbdn.gif

Social source share

But if the Professionals - That's why I love you; was 50p I would rather buy a bag of out of date salt and vinegar crisps.

Mikey Mikey :thumbsup:

Social source share

Frank Wilson is a weak pop soul record. Not crap - but not great.

I've played it to mates who aren't into northern and it normally inspires a fairly indifferent reaction, followed by total bemusement at the price tag. 

If we're talking about rarity over quality then surely FW is a prime example and further proof that the scene's unhealthy obsession with rarity over quality didn't start with chinstrokers(sic) and newies in the 80s.

Hammy

link

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Pete,

You must have been on the gas and air early.

Its boring, overated and hyped up.

How can it have ever been voted no 1 Northern record by Kev in his book.

The whole criteria was supposed to be on dance floor reaction. More people danced to this over the years than say 'If thats what you wanted' ?  Don't make me laugh. If Kev had never owned it, do you think it would have been 'voted' number one. More chance of Wolves and the Blades reaching the play offs.

Overated at the time, overated now.

The no 1 record IMO is 'Too Late' (and its not one of my favourites)

Rant over, back to the Sheffield thread to talk b*ll*cks

Steve, the voice of reason.  :thumbsup:

link

Maybe you needed to be there when it was spun for the first time, the three or four weeks before it got pressed. It's not even one of my top 100 but to say it's boring, you lot have got a f*cking screw loose, what exactly do you want from your Northern Soul records?

Social source share

Maybe you needed to be there when it was spun for the first time, the three or four weeks before it got pressed.  It's not even one of my top 100 but to say it's boring, you lot have got a f*cking screw loose, what exactly do you want from your Northern Soul records?

link

A little bit more reggie and scar influence :thumbsup:

Pete, its boring because its repetitive mate. IMO

Steve

Social source share

A little bit more reggie and scar influence :thumbsup:

Pete, its boring because its repetitive mate. IMO

Steve

link

Anything's repetitive when you've heard them thousands of times but I still think if you take it on it's own, without anything to do with prices or overplays or whatever, it's got everything.

Someone back me up for f*cks sake.

Social source share

Anything's repetitive when you've heard them thousands of times but I still think if you take it on it's own, without anything to do with prices or overplays or whatever, it's got everything.

link

Backed up.

It's easy to be elitest now that the world and his dog know it but it craps over lots of the unreleased Motown that gets raved about.

I could happily never hear it out again but that doesn't mean it's not a great record.

You need to ask why when newcomers first get to hear Northern Soul stuff it makes such an impact.

Godz

Social source share

Guest alison

link

It was absolutely right for it's time Pete, but I would say that tastes seem to be a bit more diverse now, with R&B, modern, mid tempo stuff all being chucked into the pot....so that strong 4 on 4 dance driven singalong sound isn't all thats floating our boats nowadays.

Now take your hands out out your trousers and stop fiddling with it or I'll ring you up and blast some Philly disco down the phone atcha :thumbsup:

Social source share

Backed up.

It's easy to be elitest now that the world and his dog know it but it craps over lots of the unreleased Motown that gets raved about.

I could happily never hear it out again but that doesn't mean it's not a great record.

You need to ask why when newcomers  first get to hear Northern Soul stuff it makes such an impact.

Godz

link

Godz, shouldn't you be destroying cities at this time on a Friday.

Play newcomers Johnny Wyatt, Too Late, Frank Beverley, Temptation Walk.

They will make an impact as well. At a fraction of the price.

People will play it to newcomers on the basis of 'it cost £15000' rather than any fabulous artistic merit. Just to show how elite we are. :thumbsup:

Steve

Social source share

I know records like George Lemons and Hayes Cotton are not to everybodys liking (but to mine :thumbsup: ) but how someone can not like the Professionals, Magnetics, Terry Goodnight , Nelson Sanders and Bernard Williams (nevertheless I would always go for the Gene Woodbury release as it is more to suit my daily financial situation...but I would therefore not call the Bell 45 shite...) is totally beyond me. But then again you can not argue about taste and the variety in it is what makes it all so special anyway.

Beside that I fully back every single word by Hammy. True words. Simply spot on :D

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

People will play it to newcomers on the basis of  'it cost £15000' rather than any fabulous artistic merit. Just to show how elite we are.  :D

Steve

link

Steve, I agree with you about those tunes but I was thinking more about some kids round our way who run a sort of Mod night and it gets played on CD (I only went a few times - it was a bit boring).

FW packed the floor and everyone seemed to love it and I'll bet very few of them new its history.

And Mrs G sez I can't go stompin' till I've done the washing up :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

Maybe you needed to be there when it was spun for the first time, the three or four weeks before it got pressed.  It's not even one of my top 100 but to say it's boring, you lot have got a f*cking screw loose, what exactly do you want from your Northern Soul records?

link

a free packet of chocolat chip cookies would be nice :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

But those are just as played out as Frank Wilson.

I can't see the point you're trying to make.

Are you honestly saying that if Frank Wilson was as common as Come See About Me, you still wouldn't think it was a great record?

Social source share

People will play it to newcomers on the basis of  'it cost £15000' rather than any fabulous artistic merit. Just to show how elite we are.  :thumbsup:

Steve

link

too late was one of the first i herd and thats what made me go f**k me i need to know more about this kinda music the rest is history

Social source share

Are you honestly saying that if Frank Wilson was as common as Come See About Me, you still wouldn't think it was a great record?

link

Pete,

I never said anything about it being played out. I said it was overrated and overhyped. Plenty of better Motown records IMO.

And ' It Really Hurts Me Girl p*sses all over it :thumbsup:

Steve

Social source share

link

And it was discovered when a lot of pop records were being played.

Social source share

link

i've always thought the problem with frank wilson is the singing. musically it's brilliant, i love the intro and the tune and beat are great, just think another (ie a proper) singer would have done it better.

but i agree it's a great record overall, very atmospheric and totally 'northern' and if it was discovered today it would be absolutely huge.

by the way, johnny wyatt is a great shout - i think more records with glockenspiels/xylophones in them ought to get played...almost worth a thread on its own

Social source share

I know records like George Lemons and Hayes Cotton are not to everybodys liking (but to mine  :thumbsup: ) but how someone can not like the Professionals, Magnetics, Terry Goodnight , Nelson Sanders and Bernard Williams (nevertheless I would always go for the Gene Woodbury release as it is more to suit my daily financial situation...but I would therefore not call the Bell 45 shite...) is totally beyond me. But then again you can not argue about taste and the variety in it is what makes it all so special anyway.

Beside that I fully back every single word by Hammy. True words. Simply spot on  :D

Marc

link

Thought i was maybe being a bit harsh on Mr Sanders since i hadn't listened to it for a few years so went and had another listen. I was right the first time it's still fucking overpriced shite.

Social source share

Guest hammy

You're going to have to apply that to every Motown record then.

link

No I don't - I'm just applying it to that one based on the notion that every record is different.

Hammy

Social source share

link

Totally agree, Tobbie Bowe is utter crap. Mamie Lee's version ain't much better though, a steaming pile of pop poo IMO. I also agree with what has been said about Lynne Terry (ugh), Antellects (just a weak pop/rock record), Karmello Brooks (cool intro but then it descends into poor and pointless pop that goes nowhere) and many others mentioned really suck, but the Magnetics on Bonnie is a truly brilliant double sider, awesome black male group power. Bernie Williams is good northern IMO. Frank Wilson, a bit poppy and the vocals could have been better but a good and special tune, good melody, atmosphere and then some, a bit old hat though. Proffessionals is totally brilliant, just very overplayed. "I'm Lonely" by Nelson Sanders is pretty good deep, but not THAT good IMO. "Mojo Man" is a bit extreme for many I guess, but i kinda like it for what it is, 60's Detroit heavy metal. :lol: The Del Larks is also superb IMO...

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Jamie

WHAT PEOPLE ON HERE WITH DIFFERENT OPINIONS.......JESUS NEXT SOMEONE WILL SAY I'M SANCTOMONIOUS :lol:   :(

link

You got something to say Franklin?? :lol:

Social source share

"And whenever I lay me down to sleep I pray the lord your soul to keep and bring it on home safe to me now"

Whoss not to like? Fab intro, catchy lyrics, as Pete-S said brilliant as a northern soul record.

One more thing, (validating) member russ winstanley1 - his fave record. Let's wait and see what he's got to say.

Social source share

Controversial one here.....

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back - FIP

Meandering tuneless nonsense.

WOOF!

link

Dear me Joe.... Easily one of the greatest soul 45s ever made IMO :(

The Vondells - Hey Girl - Airtown, apart from the intro this record is over priced, over played,over rated and sadly over here, vocally a real mess and if anyone can understand the lyrics then please tell me what it's all about, not only that but there are more copies around than it's rare status would suggest and should not be a big ticket item.

I'll get my coat - Mark Bicknell

link

Mr. Bicknell ! :P always had this down as one of your spins. Personally think it's brilliant and it would certainly be one of the first things I'd buy in result of a lottery win :(

Nelson Sanders mojo man, no words can describe how fucking shite this is. Hate it more than Larry Trider and thats saying something.

link

Aggree, a big fat pile disjointed junk. Flip is lovely deep slowie though wink.gif

Can remember Bobby Adams - Thats The Kinda Man I Am - Big Bee being spun in the 80's...often wondered why  :lol:    But on listening again...hmmmmmm  :lol:   Sounds better than it did back then  :(

link

Shaft always springs to mind when I hear this :(

Agrre with most other stuff mentioned - apart from Lady in green. Again, one of the greatest soul records IMO :( quite like Terry Goodnight too whtich I saw was taking a bit of a slating...

Billy :dance:

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

Can remember Bobby Adams - Thats The Kinda Man I Am - Big Bee being spun in the 80's...often wondered why  :lol:   But on listening again...hmmmmmm  :(   Sounds better than it did back then  :lol:

link

For what it's worth, that particular one always sounds to me like a knock off of "Payback's A Drag"...by the way, how much would one expect to pay for a copy of that one these days?

"...You don't know how its....gonna come..."

Social source share

Anyone mentioned Soul Bros Inc - Teardrops on Salem  :lol:   Does nothing for me I'm afraid.

link

I simply love it and every time I hear it I get chills up and down my spine (or what was that phrase again :lol: ?). Truly awesome BLACK goup mover and oh so soulflul...btw, I think it is not the Chicago based Salem label if anyone was wondering...

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Can remember Bobby Adams - Thats The Kinda Man I Am - Big Bee being spun in the 80's...often wondered why  :lol:   But on listening again...hmmmmmm  :(   Sounds better than it did back then  :lol:

link

Being a big fan of this mans output on Colpix, May, Tra-x, Purdy, Old town, Pilma and that rose coloured label whose name escapes me at the mo I must admit that this particular 45 does nearly (!) nth for me though. Having said so I can see why it could / does appeal to some :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert