How Low Would You Go

Philly

Interesting thread ive been asked to do most places and have enjoyed djing at the wilton,lowton etc,but i tell you what folks it takes up nothing of my thinking re the music I love,infact i think it can be load of old bollocks to be honest! Lets face it its a labour of love from the beginning to the end and unless your fortunate to be at an absolute incredible night when the floor and the attitude is right then it can be a right old chew,you know why because not one punter is without a view,a critiisism,a dig,etc this is why i have massive respect for the likes of butch,soul sam,etc what have made an art form out of it!

if sad people want to stoop that low to play discs that most people would of spun at some point along the way ,remember this is a 35 year plus scene now then let them do it and get on with it there are genuinely only a handful of worthy gigs left imho and the prolofieration of gigs on the outer perimiters are there for a reason ie because there do not innovate or more importantly care about the music !

BAZ A :D

Social source share

• Replies 104
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

After talking to one of my London friends last night, who is not a DJ, it ocurred to me that some DJs would sink to the bottom of the pit just to spin their tunes, He told me a story that goes like this........

A good friend of his who has been on the scene for 20 odd years and likes to spin a tune, so desperate is he to be doin this he DJs at a certain venue with people that he does'nt trust or even like, who have for years stolen from his record box. When asked why he would put up with this his reply was that he did not want to be ostracised and he wanted to play his records.....how sad.

How low would you go ?

Who wants to be a DJ ?

Even if you have a few nice in-demand 45s !

Even if you could fit a spot in for someone in between baby sitters and shifts........why would you want to ?

You can't relax and get drunk, high or messed up............!!!

So what sort of night out is that ?

A fecking boring and shit one IMO :thumbup:

Soul DJing is so boring and overated IMO

Its a wonder to me why anyone is up for it these days ?

Its not as if the average Northern Soul DJ even gets any good looking blondes these days !!!

Its a thankless task that only the most avid and intrested collector of vintage 45s would even ever consider doing nowdays !!

:D

Social source share

Who wants to be a DJ ?

Even if you could fit a spot in for someone in between baby sitters and shifts........why would you want to ?

A fecking boring and shit one IMO :D

Its not as if the average Northern Soul DJ even gets any good looking blondes these days !!!

Its a thankless task that only the most avid and intrested collector of vintage 45s would even ever consider doing nowdays !!

:thumbup:

Now if you mix it up with a bit of SKA , 60s Funk and Fania ..............you can get loads of Fanny on Saturday :D

Social source share

One thing I do miss behind the decks is fookin cigarettes...it's crap now you can't smoke anywhere :D

And since when have people like us worried about the fecking laws ?

50 quid fine ? Lets have you !!!

Social source share

And since when have people like us worried about the fecking laws ?

50 quid fine ? Lets have you !!!

would rather buy a record than give it to the feds...might try those electronic cigs...see if they are any good...otherwise it's the crusaders 'A Ballad for Joe Lois' cos your 7s are nowhere near long enough for a good smoke :D

Social source share

would rather buy a record than give it to the feds...might try those electronic cigs...see if they are any good...otherwise it's the crusaders 'A Ballad for Joe Lois' cos your 7s are nowhere near long enough for a good smoke :thumbup:

Sorry - off topic !

I smoke everywhere I want to .............except a on a plane :D

I am prepared to go into the Bogs out of politeness !

But no one is going to take 50 quid off me on a Saturday night !

Not no one !

Start the reveloution !

back on topic................

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Sorry - off topic !

I smoke everywhere I want to .............except a on a plane :D

I am prepared to go into the Bogs out of politeness !

But no one is going to take 50 quid off me on a Saturday night !

Not no one !

Start the reveloution !

back on topic................

Sorry, but that's a terrible attitude.....the venue you are at could get into serious trouble, according to the management at my venue, they could lose their license......

Social source share

Sorry, but that's a terrible attitude.....the venue you are at could get into serious trouble, according to the management at my venue, they could lose their license......

Sorry ! :D I am just sick of this politically correct nightmare which we call modern life !

Bring back the FUN !

When the Fun Police have pissed off ................ give me a bell ................!!!

Bring back the FUN !

Bring back the FUN !

Social source share

Sorry ! :D I am just sick of this politically correct nightmare which we call modern life !

Bring back the FUN !

When the Fun Police have pissed off ................ give me a bell ................!!!

Bring back the FUN !

Bring back the FUN !

Stop moaning ya big wuss..... :D

Social source share

I always thought you were hetrosexual.

Got to admire your honesty though... :D

:D

Bums are ok but they smell a bit when you kiss them !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Oh lordy.... :thumbup:

Bedtime...

:D:lol:

:D Mace.................. we dont seem to be able to have sensible conversations these days !

Why is this ?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

so you are saying all the guests at Burnley are loyal attendees of the nighter and that they all dj for the love of the venue? :D

In the main Chalk,its true,the special guest's are booked because of their collections and progressive atitude,the other guest's are all regular attendees and dj for the love of the music,not for a pat on the back and some cash :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

so you are saying all the guests at Burnley are loyal attendees of the nighter and that they all dj for the love of the venue? :D

think what salmon is saying is yes a lot of the early doors 10 o'clock club dj's do just that chalky.Killa,stuart cheetham and Danny to name just three are at burnley for the music and the fun....You can't expect people like butch,andy d and others to be there regularly as they are top dj's and likely to be elsewhere most weeks.The regular dj's there to my observations do not dj all over and are there even if not djing.There are too many dj's who think it's their right to dj somewhere and get the hump when they 're told "if you can't be bothered to even attend this venue or that venue even once,then why do you want to come here and dj".I am of course talking of the dj's WHO pester the promoter.....not dj's that are asked.......BEFORE I GET INTO TROUBLE,I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ANY SPECIFIC VENUE AS IT HAPPENS ALL OVER...hope the gist has been got,no doubt someone will find some obscure instance for this not to be right...these are just my observations over the years atb tezza :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

In the main Chalk,its true,the special guest's are booked because of their collections and progressive atitude,the other guest's are all regular attendees and dj for the love of the music,not for a pat on the back and some cash :thumbup:

sorry mate, didn't realise you were posting.......mind you great minds ect :D

Social source share

think what salmon is saying is yes a lot of the early doors 10 o'clock club dj's do just that chalky.Killa,stuart cheetham and Danny to name just three are at burnley for the music and the fun....You can't expect people like butch,andy d and others to be there regularly as they are top dj's and likely to be elsewhere most weeks.The regular dj's there to my observations do not dj all over and are there even if not djing.There are too many dj's who think it's their right to dj somewhere and get the hump when they 're told "if you can't be bothered to even attend this venue or that venue even once,then why do you want to come here and dj".I am of course talking of the dj's WHO pester the promoter.....not dj's that are asked.......BEFORE I GET INTO TROUBLE,I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ANY SPECIFIC VENUE AS IT HAPPENS ALL OVER...hope the gist has been got,no doubt someone will find some obscure instance for this not to be right...these are just my observations over the years atb tezza :thumbup:

Hi Tezza, I understand what Salmon is saying :D I understand what you are saying too pal. I think by and large DJ's should at least support what the promoter is trying to do. Obviously many DJ's who do DJ on a regular basis can't be everywhere. But at the end of the day it's down to the promoter who he books to do a set so why not have a go at the promoter rather than the DJ? It will change nothing having a go at the DJ, if anything the opposite will probably happen.

Social source share

I would just like to point out that this is not someone who I personally know and I have not attended the venue in question, it was something that was mentioned in conversation between friends and I wondered what others (DJs in particular) points of view were on this. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

all this "I know someone" and "there are people I know" etc etc

lets have some fookin names to all these shyte postings, its all fookin bollocks unless you know who you're all talking about :thumbsup:

Your totally missing the point, its not about naming people or venues ...... it is about how low you would go, and leaving your dignity and self respect at home to appease your ego. Simple. :thumbsup:

Social source share

lets have some fookin names to all these shyte postings, its all fookin bollocks unless you know who you're all talking about :thumbsup:

go pauly, go pauly, go pauly go

ran out of christians to burn paul? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Tezza, I understand what Salmon is saying :lol: I understand what you are saying too pal. I think by and large DJ's should at least support what the promoter is trying to do. Obviously many DJ's who do DJ on a regular basis can't be everywhere. But at the end of the day it's down to the promoter who he books to do a set so why not have a go at the promoter rather than the DJ? It will change nothing having a go at the DJ, if anything the opposite will probably happen.

can't argue with that chalks.....will be interesting to see how it pans out as a few clubs shut and there is less opertunity for wannabe's to try their luck....ha ha they will probably just not go out.. tezza :thumbup:biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

lets have some fookin names to all these shyte postings, its all fookin bollocks unless you know who you're all talking about :lol:

don't be daft paul, it's a case of damned if l do,damned if l don't. There is a time honoured tradition on this site to post one thing and think another. :thumbup:biggrin.gif

Social source share

lets have some fookin names to all these shyte postings, its all fookin bollocks unless you know who you're all talking about wink.gif

Totally agree, far too many posts on here of late within a similar vein :thumbup: .

Your totally missing the point, its not about naming people or venues ...... it is about how low you would go, and leaving your dignity and self respect at home to appease your ego. Simple. :lol:

If it was just about how low would you go, why the need for the story? :lol:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Your totally missing the point, its not about naming people or venues ...... it is about how low you would go, and leaving your dignity and self respect at home to appease your ego. Simple. :thumbup:

Gizza set :lol:

Social source share

Totally agree, far too many posts on here of late within a similar vein :thumbup: .

If it was just about how low would you go, why the need for the story? :lol:

Story is self explanatory..... one person/DJ? was prepared to put up with knowing that his records were goin missing all for the sake of a DJin spot. Now if that isn't lowering yourself, and leaving your self respect and dignity behind, then I don't know what is !!!! So I think the story represented the situation and was therfore valid to the point. smile.gif It was put up as an example.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The lowest I had gone in the past was to pay for some of my travel expenses when I knew a) the promoters were on a tight budget, b ) it was a decent venue of good reputation/music policy and c) free drinks all nights :lol:

Was that when you dj'd for us at TOS - can't have been - we never gave free drinks :thumbup::lol: In return, Benji let me sleep on his floor, set his flat on fire with his oil heater and drink apple juice all night - I miss Munich. Please can I dj there again smile.gif

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Story is self explanatory..... one person/DJ? was prepared to put up with knowing that his records were goin missing all for the sake of a DJin spot. Now if that isn't lowering yourself, and leaving your self respect and dignity behind, then I don't know what is !!!! So I think the story represented the situation and was therfore valid to the point. :thumbup: It was put up as an example.

Now I get it.... tongue.gif So is it alright for me to ask Steve Cato if I can dj in his London room next time he's got a spare slot in his dj rosta :lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Who wants to be a DJ ?

A fecking boring and shit one IMO :thumbup:

:lol:

people think dj'ing is more glamorous than it is ...there is no glamour involved in playing 50 year old records , sitting in airports for hours on end , going to some of europes finest cities and not seeing them in daylight ...you fly in , do your thing and fly out .

as you said there's no blondes involved anymore (not on the soul/R&B scenes anyway lol)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Now I get it.... :thumbup: So is it alright for me to ask Steve Cato if I can dj in his London room next time he's got a spare slot in his dj rosta :lol:

i would have thought you wouldn't need to ask .....you're a 'kin legend !!

Social source share

Story is self explanatory..... one person/DJ? was prepared to put up with knowing that his records were goin missing all for the sake of a DJin spot. Now if that isn't lowering yourself, and leaving your self respect and dignity behind, then I don't know what is !!!! So I think the story represented the situation and was therfore valid to the point. :lol: It was put up as an example.

Dont worry about what corset boy has to say he knows nothing for he is lower than any snakes belly ive ever seen :thumbup:

Social source share

Now I get it.... :lol: So is it alright for me to ask Steve Cato if I can dj in his London room next time he's got a spare slot in his dj rosta :lol:

you mean to say Jo that mr Cato hasnt asked you yet when you are the 1st Lady of London and all that :thumbup: dont lower yourself Jo just tell him your djn there laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

i would have thought you wouldn't need to ask .....you're a 'kin legend !!

Leg End more like it :ohmy: You're on my Christmas Card list, Davie xx

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

just tell him your djn there :yes:

Bearsy, I'm not that sort of girl....I'm shy, not at all bossy, never push myself forward..... :ohmy:

This is my take on things - if I go to a gig and I think 'fabulous venue, great crowd, friendly vibe and excellent music policy', I'll find the promoter, tell them how fab their night is and that I'd love to be considered for any forthcoming gigs. I don't think that's lowering myself....is it :lol:

BTW Bearsy, glad to see you're firing on all pistons again xx

Social source share

can't argue with that chalks.....will be interesting to see how it pans out as a few clubs shut and there is less opertunity for wannabe's to try their luck....ha ha they will probably just not go out.. tezza :yes::D

tezza' you tould me that Danny gives sexual favers to get gig's ........... :ohmy::lol:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Anyone thats asks to dj is lowering themselves in my opinion :ohmy:

soulie first dj second :lol:

I agree Paul

Some people are so desperate for their 15mins of fame they will do anything to anyone to get a spot.

I suppose we should feel sorry for em if they are that desperate to be acepted.

In my experience its usually people who have been on the scene for 5 minutes and wanna try and 'prove' their soul credentials!

Anyone with decent tunes that knows their stuff and just loves the music pure and simple doesnt need to beg, they will be invited...you are an excellent case in point.

If I was promoting a do and someone begged me to Dj I'd just laugh!

Hope you're ok btw xx

Helen

XXX

Social source share

Bearsy, I'm not that sort of girl....I'm shy, not at all bossy, never push myself forward... :ohmy:

This is my take on things - if I go to a gig and I think 'fabulous venue, great crowd, friendly vibe and excellent music policy', I'll find the promoter, tell them how fab their night is and that I'd love to be considered for any forthcoming gigs. I don't think that's lowering myself....is it :lol:

sorry i thought it was Lady Jo Wallace of London i replied to :D

not quite on all pistons just yet but nearly :D thanks Jo :yes:

Social source share

I agree Paul

Some people are so desperate for their 15mins of fame they will do anything to anyone to get a spot.

I suppose we should feel sorry for em if they are that desperate to be acepted.

In my experience its usually people who have been on the scene for 5 minutes and wanna try and 'prove' their soul credentials!

Anyone with decent tunes that knows their stuff and just loves the music pure and simple doesnt need to beg, they will be invited...you are an excellent case in point.

If I was promoting a do and someone begged me to Dj I'd just laugh!

Hope you're ok btw xx

Helen

XXX

how about you put a night on and then i can ask you to dj Helen :lol:

Yeah im not to bad thanks just coming to terms with a life without sins :yes:

hows the ankle :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Bearsy, I'm not that sort of girl....I'm shy, not at all bossy, never push myself forward..... :ohmy:

Jo I think you are a different kettle of fish entirely.

Anyone would bite your hand off if you offerred your services.............n you aint a bad DJ either!!!! lolol

How are you? long time no see xxx

Helen

xxx

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Ok......a pea floater & a schooner of Tooheys New is on offer....lol

KTF

Baz

I'd stoop fairly low to get an all-expenses paid slot at the Australian National in Perth :ohmy::lol::yes:
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

How are you? long time no see xxx

Helen

xxx

Been bobbing an' weaving since the redundancy but I want to go on a mechanics course for old cars....just bought a Triumph Vitesse Mk2 and learnt how to put a fuel pipe on :-) But I digress wildly off topic. PM me chuck xx

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

tezza' you tould me that Danny gives sexual favers to get gig's ........... :ohmy::lol:

absolutly true........not sure who for at the bat cave????? :yes::D

Social source share