How Low Would You Go

Philly

After talking to one of my London friends last night, who is not a DJ, it ocurred to me that some DJs would sink to the bottom of the pit just to spin their tunes, He told me a story that goes like this........

A good friend of his who has been on the scene for 20 odd years and likes to spin a tune, so desperate is he to be doin this he DJs at a certain venue with people that he does'nt trust or even like, who have for years stolen from his record box. When asked why he would put up with this his reply was that he did not want to be ostracised and he wanted to play his records.....how sad.

How low would you go ?

Social source share

• Replies 104
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

After talking to one of my London friends last night, who is not a DJ, it ocurred to me that some DJs would sink to the bottom of the pit just to spin their tunes, He told me a story that goes like this........

A good friend of his who has been on the scene for 20 odd years and likes to spin a tune, so desperate is he to be doin this he DJs at a certain venue with people that he does'nt trust or even like, who have for years stolen from his record box. When asked why he would put up with this his reply was that he did not want to be ostracised and he wanted to play his records.....how sad.

How low would you go ?

A shopping mall in Wigan ?

tongue.gif

Social source share

Slighty off topic but I was doing a Charity event earlier this Summer when one of the 'locals' comes up and asks for Kool and the Gang - I told him that I didn't have it with me ( actually I don't own it) and he then says 'well, what time's the proper DJ on?'.

I was playing Al Williams at the time!

You win some biggrin.gif , you lose some :thumbup:

Julian

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I dont know about how low. but I do know I would invest in a DJ box with a padlock!

:thumbup:

How could anyone willingly go back to a venue with people that steal from his box?! ohmy.gif Why hasn't he confronted them or as Mikey suggested padlock his box!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've always collected, when able, never once have I done it to want to be a DJ. Why would I buy a record I thought to be rubbish, just because I thought it would fill a dancefloor somewhere?

Maybe thats just me.

Social source share

I've always collected, when able, never once have I done it to want to be a DJ. Why would I buy a record I thought to be rubbish, just because I thought it would fill a dancefloor somewhere?

Maybe thats just me.

Maybe you know your own mind, have self respect and don't follow other's like sheep wink.gif

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm actually going in the other direction and refuse to play at any venue that is not either a stadium or amphitheatre.

Saves a lot of arguments.

You'll be top of the bill when they open the Northern Soul field at Glastonbury Col. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Excellent point Mikey.

Touches on the subject of playing safe, or playing particular records to be accepted / allowed to play at a venue, which in itself is a low stance (personal opinion of course).

Full respect for anyone, especially DJ's, who buy and play the tunes of their musical taste. Afterall, most promoters probably got them on teh bill knowing what records they play :rolleyes:

Social source share

How low would you go ?

The lowest I had gone in the past was to pay for some of my travel expenses when I knew a) the promoters were on a tight budget, b ) it was a decent venue of good reputation/music policy and c) free drinks all nights :rolleyes:

Edited by benji
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I'm actually going in the other direction and refuse to play at any venue that is not either a stadium or amphitheatre.

Saves a lot of arguments.

You'll be top of the bill when they open the Northern Soul field at Glastonbury Col. :rolleyes:

:ohmy:laugh.gif

Ooh, imagine if there was a NS field at Glastonbury, where would we dance? g.gif Does talc work on grass? no.gif

Social source share

The lowest I had gone in the past was to pay for some of my travel expenses when I knew a) the promoters were on a tight budget, cool.gif it was a decent venue of good reputation/music policy and c) free drinks all nights laugh.gif

:rolleyes: That is you just being a gent, nothing wrong with that..... :ohmy:

Social source share

When I was running soul nights djs were coming up to me all the time offering their services no fee required with some.

Now I don't the djs don't seem to want to know! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Eh up chuckles - where ya been. Can we put names to that quote! laugh.gif

been laying low a bit Mark ph34r.gif had a few health and personal issues but im ok now wacko.gif:D

yeah we can put some names to that quote cant we :g: ive had loads ask me to get them a spot at KSC and it aint even my event laugh.gif

fooking wannnabe superstar djs everywhere you go and those that have to ask are normally fooking shite too :ohmy:

its an honour to be asked to dj anywhere but its not the be all and end all :no: like it is for those that cant ever make a venue for so many sad reasons but as soon as they get asked to dj they are there like a shot :rolleyes:

oh dear i do seem to be a bit humpy today :g:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

l've heard of dj's (and l use the term in the loosest way) ringing up promoters for a spot,when said promoter says.."er don't seem to recollect seeing you at my venue as a paying soul fan".the dj then gets abusive and tells the promoter to f**k off. lots of these types about.Also the wannabe's who when a new venue opens they flock along to the first night for a bit of back slapping to get a spot then once they've done their spot (usually crap anyway ) they never go there again :ohmy::rolleyes:

Social source share

How much did you pay Marc :ohmy:

The desire to dj does make some folk sell the soul to the devil ph34r.gif ...

Well Stevie, thankfully I can admit never ever to have been in such a wealthy situation to being able to even offer money for letting me deejay...in fact I did not even ever ask and beg anyone to let me deejay at their venue at all.

That`s more than some others can claim don´t you agree :rolleyes: ?

Social source share

l've heard of dj's (and l use the term in the loosest way) ringing up promoters for a spot,when said promoter says.."er don't seem to recollect seeing you at my venue as a paying soul fan".the dj then gets abusive and tells the promoter to f**k off. lots of these types about.Also the wannabe's who when a new venue opens they flock along to the first night for a bit of back slapping to get a spot then once they've done their spot (usually crap anyway ) they never go there again wink.gif:ohmy:

Dont happen like that in the batcave does it Tezza :rolleyes:

Social source share

been laying low a bit Mark ph34r.gif

To use the phrase that has been used on this thread quite frequently already - and it's best read out with a pseudo amercian accent

"I've been laying lower than a snakes belly"! laugh.gif

How are you Pikey Lad? :rolleyes:

You and that furry fooker Moggy are like a right pair of Lord Fookin Lucans!

I think Moggy has fallen out with me - I gave the lad a few home truths about him knowing fcuk all about soul mucic and footy and ain't heard from him since! laugh.gif Mind you his sex change op could have him lying low for a bit - although the first pics are up on the FF2 thread.

:ohmy:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

It was Mr Mcgooo , that spotted the great talent that is Bearsy biggrin.gif

Also available for the odd bit of tarmac work, lead and copper theft and other misdemeanours in and around the Kent area.

Sorry - Bearsy!

Sorry mods - off topic again.

I'll soon have no mates - Moggy's fooked me off.............................................................................

.................................................................................

:thumbsup:

Social source share

A good friend of his who has been on the scene for 20 odd years and likes to spin a tune, so desperate is he to be doin this he DJs at a certain venue with people that he doesn't trust or even like, who have for years stolen from his record box. When asked why he would put up with this his reply was that he did not want to be ostracised and he wanted to play his records.....how sad.

How low would you go ?

Sorry, not answering the question, posing another - what is this hunger for everyone to be a frigging DJ? Seriously I'd love to know what drives those who are desperate to set up their own nights just for a spot, quid pro quo arrangement with venue down the road and suck up to promoters for sh!te pay etc etc.

Seriously, I started poking my head around the door in 2001 after leaving in 94. During late 70s up to that time none of my mates who DJ sucked up or had this hunger - they were asked cos they had the sides.

Those who are doing something different fair enough you have the passion and belief to drive things in way you believe it should go, I can get that but those who play the same or similar spot as every other Dj Why? I'm not having dig, I just don't get it.

Social source share

Don't think id ever reduce myself to some of the aspects stated above...even though it really does feel like im 16 again and just starting my DJ career...has been a time when my diary has been completely full of gigs...but now i'm back to being a minnow again and although i've made some tentitive enquiries about spots...i'm not one to push the issue...I feel im good enough that when the opportunity arises I will extract more work biggrin.gif

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

After talking to one of my London friends last night, who is not a DJ, it occurred to me that some DJs would sink to the bottom of the pit just to spin their tunes, He told me a story that goes like this........

A good friend of his who has been on the scene for 20 odd years and likes to spin a tune, so desperate is he to be doin this he DJs at a certain venue with people that he doesn't trust or even like, who have for years stolen from his record box. When asked why he would put up with this his reply was that he did not want to be ostracized and he wanted to play his records.....how sad.

How low would you go ?

DJ does not ask for spot, he is always approached, these certain promoters are apparently friends, who are light fingered with his record box....so I have heard, dont really know the person, know of him etc

Said DJ still goes back knowing full well what goes on, why !!!!! So same question does dignity stay at home and ego take over no matter the cost ?

Social source share

Also available for the odd bit of tarmac work, lead and copper theft and other misdemeanours in and around the Kent area.

Sorry - Bearsy!

Sorry mods - off topic again.

I'll soon have no mates - Moggy's fooked me off.............................................................................

................................................................................

:thumbup:

fook off :D

Social source share

Don't think id ever reduce myself to some of the aspects stated above...even though it really does feel like im 16 again and just starting my DJ career...has been a time when my diary has been completely full of gigs...but now i'm back to being a minnow again and although i've made some tentitive enquiries about spots...i'm not one to push the issue...I feel im good enough that when the opportunity arises I will extract more work :lol:

work :thumbup: its a passion dear Beeks :D a passion :D:D

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Not on the soul scene, but I know of one well known scooter rally DJ who's not averse to ringing up organisers, finding out what they're paying their DJs and offering to do it for less. Not sure how successful the ploy is, but I have seen his name pop up on one or two as a last minute addition to the line up over the last few months.

Those who know me will know who I mean... don't mention him by name though please?

Social source share