• Replies 106
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The Blue Sharks " These Things Will Keep Me Loving You "

The first copy I have seen in 31 years has surfaced on eBay ( item # 330284475318 ) , located somewhere in Italy , with the auction / sales blurb as follows ........

THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU / THE BANNER MAN ... 7-inch, 45rpm single by BLUE SHARKS. Original Italian pressing on GRAN PRIX Label (CPI 7013). No date info but circa late '60s. Mega rare northern soul single that was only ever released in Italy. The record was originally given away as a freebie by the Italian supermarket chain, UPIM. The big side for collectors and DJs is an ultra-obscure cover version of THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU, originally by the Motown girl group, The Velvelettes. Top production obviously influenced by the Phil Spector Wall Of Sound (Grand Prix was a cream Italian Library label) featuring powerful vocal harmony / big strings and orchestrations. This is the rarest Northern Soul 45 from Italy (rarer than Wil Collins et al). A top tip for 2007 on the Soulsource forum message board and recently charted again in the last couple of months. Comped by Goldmine (Northern Soul Satisfaction CD) too. Very rare 45!!!

Bidding currently stands as of 06.00 AM today , 12th November at $461.00 USD : the auction ends on November 16th .

When records are listed has being rare , The BS is one of those records .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Don't think it was a mistake - If you play the Smokey / Miracles track "Come 'Round Here" from the same LP, that is also a different take - Quite a few Motown LPs had different takes to the 45, Jimmy Mack / at least two Jackson 5 tracks, probably others too

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Well.....I think the odds are that they did make a boob with this one because later releases had the version we all know.....ill try the Smokie track though....not played that one myself :thumbsup:

Cheers mick.

:thumbup:

Social source share

banner man is on the same album, forgot to mention that,...too much of a coincidence

think they did 3 plexium albums in total

A few more than that i think,then label change same sort of stuff even one or two on Redefusion been round the houses alan as,and i think the plexiam ones are live recordings aswell have a good listen you just get the clappin' at the end of each track.

Social source share

A few more than that i think,then label change same sort of stuff even one or two on Redefusion been round the houses alan as,and i think the plexiam ones are live recordings aswell have a good listen you just get the clappin' at the end of each track.

Found this; https://forbiddeneye.com/labels/avenueofamerica.html

And other stuff,he was with the tornados and is from Chelsea ? the man must be on a thousand million records,including all dusty springfeilds tunes,stones,kinks just about everybody p j proby tom jones lots of soul artists,i think i,m on the money here.

Edited by ken
Social source share

got that bit wrong,Clem whatsit Arsnal suporter born north london was drummer with Alan guitarist on most of his stuff who used to sell ice cream :ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

got that bit wrong,Clem whatsit Arsnal suporter born north london was drummer with Alan guitarist on most of his stuff who used to sell ice cream :ohmy:

kenny my boy...we are both on the money here, ive just been on the blower to my old mucker, charlie, in southampton, he'sgot a blue sharks & the album....."banner man" & "these things..." are note for note identical....

as jim royal would say......blue sharks....my arse....... half italian..half swiss....my arse

there ya go.....for all those that knock the soul police.......well, a case has been solved biggrin.gif

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

kenny my boy...we are both on the money here, ive just been on the blower to my old mucker, charlie, in southampton, he'sgot a blue sharks & the album....."banner man" & "these things..." are note for note identical....

as jim royal would say......blue sharks....my arse....... half italian..half swiss....my arse

there ya go.....for all those that knock the soul police.......well, a case has been solved biggrin.gif

I wheeled my theory out once before on here,but the west midlands SP squad where not too happy laugh.gif ah welL !! even a sound file somewhere,probberly gone missin' not that i'm accusing anyone. :(

New theory,Soul Joe Clemence is no other than that Clem the ice cream seller ,i mean "ever ever" is on Plexium the new Shrine.

:ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

I wheeled my theory out once before on here,but the west midlands SP squad where not too happy :( ah welL !! even a sound file somewhere,probberly gone missin' not that i'm accusing anyone. g.gif

New theory,Soul Joe Clemence is no other than that Clem the ice cream seller ,i mean "ever ever" is on Plexium the new Shrine.

:ohmy:

So this link ok with my theory,Alan is on all except one on this list they they are like twins who would have thought is on "everlasting love" and so many more,and sold ice cream too!! unsure.gif

https://www.the-tornados.com/index-3.html

Now who's gonna' ax him then,he's on 44 No 1s,with Alan Caddy.His propper name is Clemente (see below)and as Italian parents and as sold ice cream,lost that link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clem_Cattini

Edited by ken
Social source share

So this link ok with my theory,Alan is on all except one on this list they they are like twins who would have thought is on "everlasting love" and so many more,and sold ice cream too!! :ohmy:

https://www.the-tornados.com/index-3.html

Now who's gonna' ax him then,he's on 44 No 1s,with Alan Caddy.His propper name is Clemente (see below)and as Italian parents and as sold ice cream,lost that link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clem_Cattini

as is usually the case, all this info comes to light too late, in the 80's heinz burt who was in the tornados & also a native of southampton worked at british rail alongside dave greet, unfortunatley he died a few years ago, after the tornados disbanded he combined his railway career with session work, he could have played on the blue sharks for all we know

Social source share

as is usually the case, all this info comes to light too late, in the 80's heinz burt who was in the tornados & also a native of southampton worked at british rail alongside dave greet, unfortunatley he died a few years ago, after the tornados disbanded he combined his railway career with session work, he could have played on the blue sharks for all we know

Clems still giggin' and making waves,as his own site somewhere someone should ask him bet he's knows who the singer is but i would be suprised if he had nothing to with Soul Joe Clemence.Funny how you cant find allot about the Plexium label anywhere no discography yet i have few singles and lps why ?

Social source share

banner man is on the same album, forgot to mention that,...too much of a coincidence

think they did 3 plexium albums in total

Just had a search and found the LP with "Banner Man" , but "These Things ... " is doesn't appear to be on it - any ideas which LP it is on ??? (banner man is Vol 2 with green cover)

Interestingly, The LP does contain "Heaven Must Have Sent You" and "I'm Gonna Run Away Fron You", although what these versions are like is something I couldn't say.

As to the Blue Sharks 45, think busses ...

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260315083983

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

All above is rubbish as its the mike morton con' who do Plexium so there the starting point,and i have been talking rubbish for two days :ohmy: so BS's are Mike Morton and others ?......... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Just had a search and found the LP with "Banner Man" , but "These Things ... " is doesn't appear to be on it - any ideas which LP it is on ??? (banner man is Vol 2 with green cover)

Interestingly, The LP does contain "Heaven Must Have Sent You" and "I'm Gonna Run Away Fron You", although what these versions are like is something I couldn't say.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

you're right mick, my mistake, banner man on the green one, these things is on the blue one.....

Social source share

you're right mick, my mistake, banner man on the green one, these things is on the blue one.....

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

£550 for a Mike Morton you can/could get for a quid :rolleyes: all the cover versions are pretty good on the all 5 lps.

Theres a top version on "Redifusion" only seen it once,probberly the same ?

Edited by ken
Social source share

Ken

I've been following your posts with interest but not a lot of cohesion on my part. :ohmy:

So, who are the Blue Sharks? huh.gif

I don't know why - but I'm laughing as I type this. laugh.gif

:rolleyes:

Mike Morton Con' the chaps who do the LPs on Plexium,it's only a theory but going from what other posters have posted i haven't got a clue tongue.gif but i'll put money on it!!

Social source share

Nobody, absolutely nobody, questioned the validity of this record in 1976/7, even though it was common knowledge that it was a 'euro release'. Why is it now, some of the sage crown contingent (senior druids if you like), choose to condemn the record? As Bri says, it's a perfectly creditable version. I don't think it sounds that different (i.e. it's virtually indistinguishable) from the Velvelettes. Kenny Burrell introduced it with hushed reverence at the 100 Club and the dance floor responded in kind. It's also a known fact that 100 clubbers are more discerning with their Soul than most other club patrons. Where's my coat?

Social source share

Nobody, absolutely nobody, questioned the validity of this record in 1976/7, even though it was common knowledge that it was a 'euro release'. Why is it now, some of the sage crown contingent (senior druids if you like), choose to condemn the record? As Bri says, it's a perfectly creditable version. I don't think it sounds that different (i.e. it's virtually indistinguishable) from the Velvelettes. Kenny Burrell introduced it with hushed reverence at the 100 Club and the dance floor responded in kind. It's also a known fact that 100 clubbers are more discerning with their Soul than most other club patrons. Where's my coat?

were not questioning the validity of the record, just trying to establish the true identity of the artist,

Social source share

Exactly!..........personally I think its a much better version than the Velvelettes, the production is much sharper and that baseline is an absolute killer! :P

I think the real "Druids" would hold the track in reverence but the people who matter readily vote with their feet :wicked:

were not questioning the validity of the record, just trying to establish the true identity of the artist

And its really interesting stuff :P

:P

Social source share

Something about the emperor's new clothes? :lol:

Macca.

I WAS REFERING TO THE FACT THAT THE RECORD IS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE VELVELETTES (A 5 QUID RECORD), YET PEOPLE ARE PREPARED TO FORK OUT 500 QUID FOR BLUE SHARKS, YES, I KNOW ITS A RARE PIECE BUT ITS CERTAINLY NOT £495 QUID BETTER THAN THE VELVELETTS, BUT, I SUPPOSE ITS THINGS LIKE THIS THAT MAKE THIS SCENE OF OURS SO UNIQUE

Social source share

A VERY GOOD COVER VERSION & VERY TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL, BUT FOR ME THE VELVELETTES JUST EDGES IT...

Thats a very good and honest opinion, anyone who says its a pile of shite and a gold plated turd is kidding themselves IMHO. :lol:

Like they will be struck down by Godin if they even think about liking it :lol:

:yes:

Social source share

A VERY GOOD COVER VERSION & VERY TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL, BUT FOR ME THE VELVELETTES JUST EDGES IT...

It is the Velvelettes :wave: and i'm not that impressed,somebody blue sharkes.

Social source share

It would have been a decent record if not for the irretating clavinet , and the even more irretating whining vocals of DR ........

Is that The Tempts in the background Ken ?

Malc Burton

Dont know Malc,found it on the on the interjobbie looking for Jnr Walkers version :unsure:

Social source share

Dont know Malc,found it on the on the interjobbie looking for Jnr Walkers version :thumbsup:

I have tried to listen closely to it , but I am again put off by the clavinet and La Ross , but the muffled / deep - male - vocals have a hint of Dennis Edwards in the phrasing .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I have tried to listen closely to it , but I am again put off by the clavinet and La Ross , but the muffled / deep - male - vocals have a hint of Dennis Edwards in the phrasing .......

Malc Burton

Seek and you shall find .......

Diana Ross' version of " These Things Will Keep Me Loving You " , comes from her / the self titled 1970 Motown album

" Diana Ross " , the first one she made following her departure from The Supremes ........

The album was produced by Ashford & Simpson , but " TTWKMLY " was produced by Johnny Bristol , with the relevent details for the track as follows ........

Johnny Bristol : producer , additional vocals

Paul Riser : arranger

The Andantes : background vocals

Jimmy Beavers: background vocals

Maxine & Julia Waters : background vocals

The Funk Brothers : instrumentation

So the male / backing vocalist on the track was Jimmy Beavers ( Jackie's brother ? ) , and not Dennis Edwards as I presumed , and interesting that The Andantes were part of the backing vocals .......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1226845145.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Nice detective work Malc. Extremely odd photo of Miss Ross I might add...

Isnt it a picture out of a film,if she cant sing she can deffo' act.

Edited by ken
Social source share

not read every post so sorry if posted already, info on the various motown recordings...

These Things Will Keep Me Loving You (Harvey Fuqua-John Bristol-Sylvia Moy) publ. Jobete

Diana Ross; rec 08-Nov-69 ; produced by Johnny Bristol

[unreleased]; 45 (M): Motown M 1165 B

Jun-70; LP (S): Motown MS711 Reach Out

Jr. Walker & The All Stars

12-Jul-71; LP (S): Soul SS732 Rainbow Funk

The Velvelettes; rec 11-May-66 ; [single version] ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol

[unreleased]; 45 (M): V.I.P. 25034 A [released on Soul 35025]

25-Aug-66; 45 (M): Soul S 35025 A [scheduled for VIP 25034]

02-Nov-98; CD (S): Spectrum 554 149 2 Motown Chartbusters Volume 6 [ UK ]

23-Mar-99; CD (M): Motown 31454 9507 2 The Very Best Of The Velvelettes

19-Mar-01; CD (M): Spectrum 544 467 2 The Best Of the Velvelettes [ UK ]

31-Oct-04; CD (S): Motown 980 937 2 The Motown Anthology [ UK ]

24-Nov-06; CD (M): Hip O Select B0007872-02 The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 6 1966

The Velvelettes; rec 11-May-66 ; [album version] ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol

Oct-71; LP (S): Tamla Motown STML11191 Motown Chartbusters Volume 6 [ UK ]

Jul-97; CD (S): Debutante 530 814 2 This Is Northern Soul! Volume 2 [ UK ]

03-May-05; CD: Motown 067 024 2 This Is Northern Soul! The Motown Sound Volume 1 [ UK ]

The Velvelettes; rec 11-May-66 ; [CD version] ; produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol

31-Oct-04; CD (S): Motown 980 937 2 The Motown Anthology [ UK ]

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread with some new info. Even if we Brits don't think the Blue Sharks are Italian, the Italians do.

post-1918-1237132833_thumb.png post-1918-1237132821_thumb.jpg

A quick google search shows that Stelvio Cipriani did indeed put out library music as Blue Sharks amongst others. Interesting that the seller of this one doesn't know about "These Things..." though.

Social source share

Godzilla said:
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread with some new info. Even if we Brits don't think the Blue Sharks are Italian, the Italians do.

post-1918-1237132833_thumb.png post-1918-1237132821_thumb.jpg

A quick google search shows that Stelvio Cipriani did indeed put out library music as Blue Sharks amongst others. Interesting that the seller of this one doesn't know about "These Things..." though.

Just adding to this aswell - since the Mike Morton Congregation knowledge arose, I've aquired both MMC LP's - the green one with "banner man" (which also had covers of Elgins and Tami Lynn), and the other LP with "these things" - Banner Man was'nt the same recording as the Blue Sharks, But These Things was the same as B Sharks.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

according to the sleeve notes of the destiny record collector lp, "these things" was a UK Grand Pris recording from 68, and as previously mentioned Soul Sam broke it at Cleethorpes 76.

and Grand Prix is Italian as the seller says in the bit I posted above :thumbsup:

Don't think anyone's has ever argued other than it's an Italian release - there was just some debate about where it was actually recorded. Seems beyond all doubt now that ken has 'painted on' ears which are beautifully decorative but have no useful function shades.gif

Social source share

There seem to have been many post along the lines of "Why is the Blue Sharks popular?"

Surely people want it/it packs the floor for the same reason all oldies do (and while we are at it people hold some proper shite in high regard on here, while this gets singled out, I don't know) - nostalgia is why people like it.

It was huge around the same time as Herbert Hunter etc, not too mention the BellBoys, and let's face it that isn't a patch on Jackie is it?

It's just what northern is synonomous with these days isn't it?

Best,

RB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert