The Blue Sharks " These Things Will Keep Me Loving You "

The first copy I have seen in 31 years has surfaced on eBay ( item # 330284475318 ) , located somewhere in Italy , with the auction / sales blurb as follows ........

THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU / THE BANNER MAN ... 7-inch, 45rpm single by BLUE SHARKS. Original Italian pressing on GRAN PRIX Label (CPI 7013). No date info but circa late '60s. Mega rare northern soul single that was only ever released in Italy. The record was originally given away as a freebie by the Italian supermarket chain, UPIM. The big side for collectors and DJs is an ultra-obscure cover version of THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU, originally by the Motown girl group, The Velvelettes. Top production obviously influenced by the Phil Spector Wall Of Sound (Grand Prix was a cream Italian Library label) featuring powerful vocal harmony / big strings and orchestrations. This is the rarest Northern Soul 45 from Italy (rarer than Wil Collins et al). A top tip for 2007 on the Soulsource forum message board and recently charted again in the last couple of months. Comped by Goldmine (Northern Soul Satisfaction CD) too. Very rare 45!!!

Bidding currently stands as of 06.00 AM today , 12th November at $461.00 USD : the auction ends on November 16th .

When records are listed has being rare , The BS is one of those records .......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1226469033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 106
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

this has been on ebay a few times, you can even find 4 copies in popsike

The first copy I have seen in 31 years has surfaced on eBay ( item # 330284475318 ) , located somewhere in Italy , with the auction / sales blurb as follows ........

THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU / THE BANNER MAN ... 7-inch, 45rpm single by BLUE SHARKS. Original Italian pressing on GRAN PRIX Label (CPI 7013). No date info but circa late '60s. Mega rare northern soul single that was only ever released in Italy. The record was originally given away as a freebie by the Italian supermarket chain, UPIM. The big side for collectors and DJs is an ultra-obscure cover version of THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU, originally by the Motown girl group, The Velvelettes. Top production obviously influenced by the Phil Spector Wall Of Sound (Grand Prix was a cream Italian Library label) featuring powerful vocal harmony / big strings and orchestrations. This is the rarest Northern Soul 45 from Italy (rarer than Wil Collins et al). A top tip for 2007 on the Soulsource forum message board and recently charted again in the last couple of months. Comped by Goldmine (Northern Soul Satisfaction CD) too. Very rare 45!!!

Bidding currently stands as of 06.00 AM today , 12th November at $461.00 USD : the auction ends on November 16th .

When records are listed has being rare , The BS is one of those records .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

this has been on ebay a few times, you can even find 4 copies in popsike

I never think to check Popsike - which I should - Bob .........

The last copy I saw , as I state , was 31 years ago : So with the copy on eBay plus the four on Popsike . would you class it as being rare now ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

I never think to check Popsike - which I should - Bob .........

The last copy I saw , as I state , was 31 years ago : So with the copy on eBay plus the four on Popsike . would you class it as being rare now ?

Malc Burton

clearly it's rare, everything goes through ebay, including some very rare records. i don't know how rare it actually is, probably someone in italy could answer better though.

Social source share

It may be rare but it doesn't even come close to the original version, can't understand why anyone would want pay silly money for this tbh

Lenny

I thought N'soul fans would rather go for something rare and different and bin the motown version as too nice and polished and available :thumbup: I'm a N'soul fan.

wave.gif

Social source share

Good lad Ken. You fookin tell em pal.

:thumbup:

Yep i'll stick mine in me sales box let someone else listen to quality,too much of it about these days....i'm into iffy production stompin garage mentality stuff first Pete. :yes: anybody with none quality stompin' iffy production garage mental stuff they dont like,send em' me. unsure.gif

Bit of Blue Sharks trivia for you; Paul Merrit off the cooking programs owns one with different label design (checkered flag).

Edited by ken
Social source share

I thought N'soul fans would rather go for something rare and different and bin the motown version as too nice and polished and available :yes: I'm a N'soul fan.

wave.gif

Any spare copies of the Mrs Miller album yet Ken? Surely that fits the bill!

Stompin in places..... found in a garage........ and not at all polished! :thumbup:

Kev

Social source share

Any spare copies of the Mrs Miller album yet Ken? Surely that fits the bill!

Stompin in places..... found in a garage........ and not at all polished! :lol:

Kev

Got a local issue with some different stuff on,stompers !! :lol: will i be playin' em' out......NO !!

Social source share

It may be rare but it doesn't even come close to the original version, can't understand why anyone would want pay silly money for this tbh

Lenny

Agree with you on this, I understand that people want to collect rare records but buying this to play out is stretching the rare soul point IMHO. Same with playing the rare "Tams - Hey Girl Don't Bother Me" - It's still the Tams Hey Girl Don't Bother Me.

Maybe I don't geddit. :lol:

Social source share

Its a brilliant version and a lot of you guys dont like to admit it!!........IMHO :lol:

I payed $130 a few years ago and sold it on later for CONSIDERABLY more, I think Kenny got my copy. Talking to Sam about the one he had, he got it from a radio DJ in the 70`s/80`s (im shit wi names :lol: ) He always kicked himself for parting with it but I seem to think he aquired another copy recently.Its a B side, the flip is a version of Blue Minks Banner man....which is propper shite :lol:

Its very rare but I dont think its as rare as its made out, apparently there are quite a few NS DJ`s in Italy with it so im told. Didnt know it had another label.

:D

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Its a brilliant version and a lot of you guys dont like to admit it!!........IMHO :D

I payed $130 a few years ago and sold it on later for CONSIDERABLY more, I think Kenny got my copy. Talking to Sam about the one he had, he got it from a radio DJ in the 70`s/80`s (im shit wi names :lol: ) He always kicked himself for parting with it but I seem to think he aquired another copy recently.Its a B side, the flip is a version of Blue Minks Banner man....which is propper shite :lol:

Its very rare but I dont think its as rare as its made out, apparently there are quite a few NS DJ`s in Italy with it so im told. Didnt know it had another label.

wink.gif

I think Sam got his copy back from someone in Italy cos he wanted it for the last Cleethorpes Winter Garden's do. Packed the dance floor.

:lol:

Social source share

Its a brilliant version and a lot of you guys dont like to admit it!!........IMHO :lol:

:D

Yeh there is another label design as ken rightly says, with two checkered flags biggrin.gif

Social source share

Its a brilliant version and a lot of you guys dont like to admit it!!........IMHO laugh.gif

I payed $130 a few years ago and sold it on later for CONSIDERABLY more, I think Kenny got my copy. Talking to Sam about the one he had, he got it from a radio DJ in the 70`s/80`s (im shit wi names rolleyes.gif ) He always kicked himself for parting with it but I seem to think he aquired another copy recently.Its a B side, the flip is a version of Blue Minks Banner man....which is propper shite :thumbsup:

wink.gif

Same label just different design............i still think its the same as the version on Plexiem top hits Lp,they,re full of covers all pretty good aswell.......Allen Caddy band and singers i think and there a version of "banner man" on em' aswell,just a theory at the mo' but "Blue Sharks" is a 7ts record same as Alan Caddy and bunch what include singers Like Penny North other cool birds names like her in his line up.

biggrin.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

I associate it with Soul Sam. A very, very big record in 1977. The last tiem I heard it was at the !00 Club two years, played by Kenny Burrell. It brings back fond memories for me, fetuccini Soul or not.

I also associated the record with Sam : he first aired it - to my knowledge - at Cleethorpes , but " broke " it at Wakefield Unity , at the all - nighters ( which I promoted ) in 1977 - that was the last time I saw a copy , 31 years ago as I stated in my original post this morning ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I also associated the record with Sam : he first aired it - to my knowledge - at Cleethorpes , but " broke " it at Wakefield Unity , at the all - nighters ( which I promoted ) in 1977 - that was the last time I saw a copy , 31 years ago as I stated in my original post this morning ........

Malc Burton

probably right malc, just got nev wherry, stuck in my head for some reason, it was about 77/78 when i heard it, never did cleethorpes so may well have been wakefield unity, may have been st mary`s at selby sam used to do a lot over there at one point, biggrin.gif DAMN THIS MEMORY!!! laugh.gif:thumbsup:laugh.gif

Social source share

does anybody know anything about the blue sharks ? were they an italian group ?

also is the version of "these things" on the motown chartbusters album (the one with the big spider / bug fellow on the cover) a different take with different words to the 45 release ?

Where they fukc !! laugh.gif

Social source share

glad that amused you ken, so, i'm assuming youve got some information regarding the nationality & identity of the group, do tell, dont keep it to yourself

Read the thread,got my suspisions no proof tho'.........you can think what you like about em' even think they're funny,go head fill yer' boots. biggrin.gif

Social source share

also is the version of "these things" on the motown chartbusters album (the one with the big spider / bug fellow on the cover) a different take with different words to the 45 release ?

Yes, it was cut on the 1st release of CB volume 6....they cut the wrong version by mistake, a slightly different cut also.... the CD version has the correct words to it and probably later releases of the (vinyl) album........my mate had his copy for 30 odd years and never played the track, he had no idea about the different take till I played mine out a while back, you do get some very strange looks from the floor :thumbsup:

Social source share

Read the thread,got my suspisions no proof tho'.........you can think what you like about em' even think they're funny,go head fill yer' boots. :thumbsup:

right, im with you now, the plexium album by the mike morton congragation, just phoned my mate who's got a copy of the album, he says its exactly the same as the blue sharks , also the alan caddy that you mentioned was involved in making those buget cover version records that you used to get in supermarkets in the 60s & 70s, which ties in with the italian supermarket promotion that was mentioned earlier

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

Yes, it was cut on the 1st release of CB volume 6....they cut the wrong version by mistake, a slightly different cut also.... the CD version has the correct words to it and probably later releases of the (vinyl) album........my mate had his copy for 30 odd years and never played the track, he had no idea about the different take till I played mine out a while back, you do get some very strange looks from the floor :thumbsup:

Don't think it was a mistake - If you play the Smokey / Miracles track "Come 'Round Here" from the same LP, that is also a different take - Quite a few Motown LPs had different takes to the 45, Jimmy Mack / at least two Jackson 5 tracks, probably others too

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

right, im with you now, the plexium album by the mike morton congragation, just phoned my mate who's got a copy of the album, he says its exactly the same as the blue sharks

And they do banner man,might be different lp but same cover different colour be good to compare them too !. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert