Dj's

Let me out.....let me out........ :shades:   beer.gif   beer.gif

link

Actually, that could be read as you wanting to 'come out the closet' and admit you have a deep down (or low down) yearning for R&B......come on Chalks, you will feel soooooooooo much better when you share your true feelings... whistling.gif

Edited by Mace
Social source share

• Replies 211
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Rock 'n Roll my arse! R&B down to the bone beer.gif

I was tipped £500 for mine as it was supposedly unissued (i.e. all Glad-Hamp copies are demos), but me and my good friend Mr. Geordie Johnson (who found our copies) both have red & white issues :shades:

link

If it ain't rock and roll, my cock's an arbroath smokie whistling.gif

A mate of mine who's into that stuff heard first on Mark Lammar's radio show - say's it all really thmbdn.gif

Social source share

Presumably all the print is red with a white label?

Just rechecked mine, which is a white label with Gladhamp in red ink and all other print in black - doesn't actually say promo or such on it, so not sure if it is a promo or not (can't remember if the other copies I sold had promo on label or not)

£500....bit over the top in my book, and would have thought the Spanish pic sleeve e.p. would have been rarer...maybe I sold too cheap :shades:

Some-one told me it was a big tune in U.S. and gets regular airplay on Rock & Roll radio stations.....maybe this ties in with the Carlton reissue?

As for Chalkys comment about it being played in Northern dos.....heard odder things take off meself...as I'm sure we all have... anyway, watch this space.... whistling.gif

link

Hi a wee story on this,

I got two copies off an old USA radio DJ/record collector in California hes in his late 70's now but when the radio station he worked on closed in the early 80's he took all the records. (thousands of the bleeders).

He told me the following

Although initially it was a large promo press (black writing glad hamp) it flopped in 1959 and the red writing issues are the rarer of the two, it was re-released in small quantities on Carlton to meet demand of the rhythm and soul scene and this could well be the rarer of the releases but basically that flopped also.

although copies are turning up it has had appeal across the collecting world in all forms of music for quite a few years now and copies are scarce and hard to come by...there is probably more copies in the UK now than in the US.

I could see how this could cross to the northern floors its a chugging grinding blinder of a dancer.

Anyway lets get real if the N Soul Scene (Nostalgia soul scene) can bop to party time man they probably will hijack a record as good as this from the R&B boys

I for one play annabelle at the friendship but thats because were not stuck in a one horse way of thinking..... we play across the board and long may it continue

Geeoooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

A mate of mine who's into that stuff heard first on Mark Lammar's radio show - say's it all really thmbdn.gif

link

And thats a complete load of bolloks looks like your cocks an arbroath smokie as mark lamar was also playing 60 soul not just rock and roll....er if im not mistaken wasnt rock n roll born out of the R&B when the white guys started nicking tunes........

Its R&B no doubt about it

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

link

Better stick it in the pan and get the lemon and black pepper ready then mate :shades:beer.gif

Heard this one?

A man went into a butchers and asked

"What's happened to your assistant?"

"I sacked him!!" replied the butcher.

"Why"

"Because he was sticking his c*ck in the bacon slicer"

"What happened to the bacon slicer?"

"I sacked her as well"

Sorry....that came from Sheffield beer.gif

Social source share

Although initially it was a large promo press (black writing glad hamp) it flopped in 1959 and the red writing issues are the rarer of the two

link

So it is only the word Glad Hamp in red ink, not the rest of the print on the label?

Social source share

Correct...want a scan

link

Yeah if poss to be double sure.......I kept a copy of the pic sleeve from the Spanish EP somewhere...will send you a copy if i can find it...cool sleeve.

It's a Lionel Hampton EP, so pic is of him, and strangely, whilst Anna Belle Caeser is credited on back of sleeve as vocals, it is the opposite way round on Gladhamp release.

Social source share

Yeah if poss to be double sure.......I kept a copy of the pic sleeve from the Spanish EP somewhere...will send you a copy if i can find it...cool sleeve.

It's a Lionel Hampton EP, so pic is of him, and strangely, whilst Anna Belle Caeser is credited on back of sleeve as vocals, it is the opposite way round on Gladhamp release.

link

yeh apparently..to quote my US old buddy lionel thought it flopped because he didnt get top billing on the label and no one knew annabelle....prima donnas back then too eh

annabelle.BMP

Social source share

yeh apparently..to quote my US old buddy lionel thought it flopped because he didnt get top billing on the label and no one knew annabelle....prima donnas back then too eh

link

Yep, same....sure other copies I sold had red Glad Hamp logo, but will check.

Not sure as I've seen the all black ones at all (so makes you wonder which are rarer)....and never seen the Carlton pressing since I sold it for £30..... whistling.gif

Well the daft old sod got top billing on the Spanish EP, and it still flopped.

Are you aware that the label name comes from his wife Gladys Hampton?

Social source share

Not sure as I've seen the all black ones at all (so makes you wonder which are rarer)....and never seen the Carlton pressing since I sold it for £30..... :shades:

link

Is that the cue for another bad joke? whistling.gif

Social source share

Not sure as I've seen the all black ones at all (so makes you wonder which are rarer)....and never seen the Carlton pressing since I sold it for £30..... :shades:

link

Yes Theres actually a web site that goes itno lionels history and discography its not brill..... but not bad reading

great old tune Im not really bothered whats the rarest label just glad to get the two i got.... passed one onto billytheboot however have been emailing and telephone contacting record shops a lot in the states for over 6 months and not unearthed anymore it really is getting elusive

Geoooordie . whistling.gif

Social source share

Yes Theres actually a web site that goes itno lionels history and discography its not brill..... but not bad reading

great old tune Im not really bothered whats the rarest label just glad to get the two i got.... passed one onto billytheboot however have been emailing and  telephone contacting record shops a lot in the states for over 6 months and not unearthed anymore it really is getting elusive

Geoooordie . :shades:

link

Got the Spanish one off ebay for very low price.....seller listed it as potentional Mod R&B killer by Lionel Hampton, never mentioned Anna Belle at all!

Mate of mine bid for it just as my snipe went in......he was a bit gutted to say the least... whistling.gif

Social source share

Got the Spanish one off ebay for very low price.....seller listed it as potentional Mod R&B killer by Lionel Hampton, never mentioned Anna Belle at all!

Mate of mine bid for it just as my snipe went in......he was a bit gutted to say the least... whistling.gif

link

Im getting hounded to sell mine....but theyll just have to want

Social source share

Im getting hounded to sell mine....but theyll just have to want

link

Couldn't keep any of mine for more than 5 minutes mate.

When I took the Carlton copy up the Hideaway I had 4 people lining up wanting to buy it, but had already promised it to some-one. whistling.gif

Hoss didn't know it when I sold him the Spanish one...had one listen and he was away with it. :shades:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Dunno if I've posted any of my spins thumbsup.gif Here's a few off the top of my head that I spun at the last Lifeline.....

. Willie Walker - Jerk It With Soul

· Lee Bates -Won't You Do Right

· Little Tommy - Lov'h

· Billy Kennedy - If I Was A Kid

· Neil Brown - If By Chance

· Betty Willis - Gone With The Wind (Is My Love)

· Chimes - The Beginning Of My Life

· Soul City - I Shot For The Moon

· Attractions - Why Shouldn't A Man Cry

· Lee Edward & His Continentals (I've Got To Have Her) Need I Say More

· Ollie Jackson - Just A Little While

. Oliver Norman - Drowning In My Own Despair

Social source share

Dunno if I've posted any of my spins thumbsup.gif Here's a few off the top of my head that I spun at the last Lifeline.....

Billy Kennedy - If I Was A Kid

What a great record. Seriously underplayed over the years.

Nice one Chalky. Playing it at Sheridans Sunday ?

Steve

·

Social source share

Dunno if I've posted any of my spins  biggrin.gif   Here's a few off the top of my head that I spun at the last Lifeline.....

Billy Kennedy - If I Was A Kid

link

Has anybody heard the 1936 novelty Blues "Two Old Maids in a Folding Bed" by Sophisticated Jimmy La Rue on which Âf I was kid"could well be based? The two are very similar tune wise.

BTW I must say that I always love Chalky's selections.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

It's a million times better than 90% of the stuff played at the moment, and stuff that goes for a hell of a lot more. Take for example the Hytones - You don't even know my name - ABSOLUTE F*CKIN SHITE :ohmy:

link

But Billy it really isn't.......................................................It's dreadful Lindyhop music next thing you know they'll be playing Elvis Presley and the like........

AWEFUL END OF.................... biggrin.gif:shades:

Social source share

But Billy it really isn't.......................................................It's dreadful Lindyhop music next thing you know they'll be playing Elvis Presley and the like........

AWEFUL END OF.................... :ohmy:   :lol:

link

Wasn't there an Elvis track getting plays recently or at least within last year :shades: .... and Tom Jones huh.gif .... looks like "any owd shite" that "sounds" a bit (used loosely) like soul is fair game :D ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I just think that people have to accept that the scene is very diverse. I would personally prefer to hear an average RnB tune than an average modern tune. I think a lot of the RnB stuff has much more in common with soul music than a lot of the disco shite that gets played. But this is only my opinion and the scene is that varied you will have many who will disagree and agree.

Shane

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Wasn't there an Elvis track getting plays recently or at least within last year biggrin.gif .... and Tom Jones :ohmy: .... looks like "any owd shite" that "sounds" a bit (used loosely) like soul is fair game :shades: ....

link

Yes there were at least two records by Elvis played but that's no excuse whatsoever. Tom Jones again will always sound like Tom Jones but at least he tends to sing in a soul style but again there really is no excuse to play this sort of novelty crap it devalues everything else IMVFHO.

Social source share

Yes there were at least two records by Elvis played but that's no excuse whatsoever. Tom Jones again will always sound like Tom Jones but at least he tends to sing in a soul style but again there really is no excuse to play this sort of novelty crap it devalues everything else IMVFHO.

link

:shades::Dlaugh.gif:ohmy: ....

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I just think that people have to accept that the scene is very diverse. I would personally prefer to hear an average RnB tune than an average modern tune. I think a lot of the RnB stuff has much more in common with soul music than a lot of the disco shite that gets played. But this is only my opinion and the scene is that varied you will have many who will disagree and agree.

Shane

link

What a load of old tosh biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

What a load of old tosh  :D

link

Therefore you do agree that many will disagree with me then? :shades:

You are a disco bunny anyway so I knew which camp you was in anyway laugh.gif

Same with that Chalky fella and Trevski, they are always knocking rnb but there sets always feature good rnb records. :ohmy:

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Shane we are talking Rock and Roll here and that in my opinion is stretching the point too far.

I understand that some people prefer that earlier soul sound and that in turn led to more and more R and B getting plays on the scene and like it or not it's part of the scene now.

(personally i don't actually dislike RnB what i don't like is to hear it out dressed as Northern when it's not)

And in the most part the tunes that have caught on have a semblance of a Northern sensibility such as Bigg Jobby Rodgers, Charles Shithole and the like but this is taking things too far, in fact it really is taking the piss IMVFHO biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Shane we are talking Rock and Roll here and that in my opinion is stretching the point too far.

I understand that some people prefer that earlier soul sound and that in turn led to more and more R and B getting plays on the scene and like it or not it's part of the scene now.

(personally i don't actually dislike RnB what i don't like is to hear it out dressed as Northern when it's not)

And in the most part the tunes that have caught on have a semblance of a Northern sensibility such as Bigg Jobby Rodgers, Charles Shithole and the like but this is taking things too far, in fact it really is taking the piss IMVFHO biggrin.gif

link

i agree about the stretching out it too far but isnt that what Soul Sam does all the time but on the other end of the spectrum. Like I said the scene is very diverse but if you are going to stretch it out I would prefer to hear rnb rather than nu modern.

Shane

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

i agree about the stretching out it too far but isnt that what Soul Sam does all the time but on the other end of the spectrum. Like I said the scene is very diverse but if you are going to stretch it out I would prefer to hear rnb rather than nu modern.

Shane

link

That's because you have no taste whatsoever :yes::yes::lol::lol::lol::P

Social source share

AWEFUL END OF.................... :lol:   :yes:

link

...or even bad disco records that charted recently..... :lol:

Not to mention terrible disco records that didn't.... :lol:

Social source share

Guest alison

...or even bad disco records that charted recently..... :lol:

Not to mention terrible disco records that didn't.... :yes:

link

What bad records that charted recently Mace ? Just curious :lol:

I like the diversity of soul music available personally, but in the same way as you don't like a lot of 70's, John and I aren't that keen on hearing R&B when we pay our door tax. Its not a problem, there's plenty of places that we can go and hear Northern and 70's mixed or individually and avoid the swampy stuff.

Just a personal thing - we were both brought up on NS with the Mecca, Cleethorpes, Yate etc as much as an influence as Wigan....and all those venues gave us plenty of fairly contemporary soul for us to shape our taste. In my case I've always preferred my soul softer and sweeter, floaters rather than stompers, and R&B is just too dirty, thumpy & gritty for me and its never been in my point of reference.

Social source share

What bad records that charted recently Mace ? Just curious  :yes:

I like the diversity of soul music available personally, but in the same way as you don't like a lot of 70's, John and I aren't that keen on hearing R&B when we pay our door tax. Its not a problem, there's plenty of places that we can go and hear Northern and 70's mixed or individually and avoid the swampy stuff.

Just a personal thing - we were both brought up on NS with the Mecca, Cleethorpes, Yate etc as much as an influence as Wigan....and all those venues gave us plenty of fairly contemporary soul for us to shape our taste. In my case I've always preferred my soul softer and sweeter, floaters rather than stompers, and R&B is just too dirty, thumpy & gritty for me and its never been in my point of reference.

link

Totally understand that, and also appreciate the fact.

Everybody has different tastes, and that what makes the scene so interesting.

My tastes lean more towards male mid tempo and R&B, so I obviously don't frequent modern rooms or venues that cater more for that style of music.

However, it seems that folk into the more modern side of things can get quite vocal about R&B being rock'n'roll, but get easily offended when the modern stuff gets called disco shite......quite humurous to say the least.

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Heres my top ten for the B/H weekend in my living room

The Innersection - I'm In Debt To You

Bobby Sheen - Come On And Love Me

Del-Larks - Job Opening Pt.1

Basic Black And Pearl - There'll Come A Time , There'll Come A Day

Charlie Mitchell - Love Don't Come Easy

Originals - You Put A Crush On Me

Pep Brown - I'm The One Who Needs You

The Montclairs - Hung Up On Your Love

Mel Waiters - How Can I Get Next to You

Derek Martin - Falling Out Of Love

does not being a d.j count :yes:

Social source share

Guest alison

However, it seems that folk into the more modern side of things can get quite vocal about R&B being rock'n'roll, but get easily offended when the modern stuff gets called disco shite......quite humurous to say the least.

link

Not me, I'm more than happy for you to call it disco shite :yes:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Totally understand that, and also appreciate the fact.

Everybody has different tastes, and that what makes the scene so interesting.

My tastes lean more towards male mid tempo and R&B, so I obviously don't frequent modern rooms or venues that cater more for that style of music.

link

I think you'll find that it's a reaction to the extremly tedious 60's only attitude of some on the scene after the first 1,000,000 of hearing it it gets a tad tiresome :yes:

Having said that it doesn't stop this particular record being dreadful no matter what genre it falls into, it's not even good RnR :lol:

Social source share

I think you'll find that it's a reaction to the extremly tedious 60's only attitude of some on the scene after the first 1,000,000 of hearing it it gets a tad tiresome  :lol:

Having said that it doesn't stop this particular record being dreadful no matter what genre it falls into, it's not even good RnR  :lol:

link

Who mentioned 60s only......some damm fine 50s stuff as well.... :yes:

Dreadfull to some, brilliant to others, and plenty inbetween...or is yours the only view to count Trouty :lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Who mentioned 60s only......some damm fine 50s stuff as well....  :yes:

Dreadfull to some, brilliant to others, and plenty inbetween...or is yours the only view to count Trouty :lol:

link

No

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert